+ Reply to Thread

Pittsburgh Post-Gazette Classifieds Scam?

Here is the listing out of the Post-gazette http://classified.post-gazette.com/d...sp?id=16219706

It is for a can am spyder 08 with 3000 miles and I have sent a few emails and here is what I have found out.

Hi
    First of all I want to thank you for your interest in my 2008 Can-Am Spyder. Let me give you some details about this Spyder. It has only 3112 miles on it. This bike has never had any crash related or mechanical repairs. It runs and drives great. Has factory warranty until October 2010. It has Billet highway pegs installed. Also included is a factory performance exhaust. Five speed manual transmission
    Right now it is located in Ottumwa, IA and from here it will be shipped by DAS transport. I just finished the divorce with my husband. From divorce i won this Spyder. I want to sell it because i don't use it.
    The bike went to the shipping company before I move from Ottumwa so I can start the shipping whitout being there. I've already arranged the shipping and the title transfer anywhere in the US. Shipping and handling fees will be $400 anywhere in the US so the total price for you to receive it will be $6,800. If you are interested to close the deal i will need your full name and shipping address so i can register our transaction.
    Thanks a lot,
    Carol

So I sent another message to see if it was a scam but here is what I got back and I am having a hard time telling.

Due to amount involved and the fact we can't deal in person, I suggest closing the deal through ebay. This service allows us to complete this transaction in a manner that is quick and safe for both of us. It acts as a third party between seller and buyer to insure that both parties comply to transaction requirements and provides dispute resolution and mediation between parties.This way, you will be able to inspect the bike before committing to buy it and I know that you have the money and you aren't just fooling around.
    If you are still interested please send me your full name and shipping address so i can register our transaction with ebay and they will contact you with all the details you need.
    Carol

I am not real sure I am definitely suspicious any help would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Pittsburgh Post-Gazette Classifieds Scam?

100% scam.

There is nothing to sell. The scammer just wants your cash sent to him via Western Union or moneygram. The email from 'ebay' will be something like: "send us the MTCN# from question/answer and we will ship the vehicle". That email will be from an address like "ebay-protection @ gmail.com" or "eBay-person @yahoo.com". That email will just be from another of the scammer's email addresses.

Western Union and moneygram do not verify anything on the form the sender fills out. Not the name, not the street address, not the country, not even the gender of the receiver. It all means nothing to the clerk who will simply hand off your cash to whomever walks in the door with the MTCN# and question/answer. Neither company has any kind of refund policy, money sent is money gone forever. Neither company will tell the receiver who picked up the cash, at what location or even in what country the sender's cash was picked up.

Read up on the real eBay protection program, it is nothing like what the scammer is claiming.

Scammer's pretend vehicles are always crated up in some mysterious warehouse that no one can ever visit no matter how close the buyer says he is located. A scammer's imaginary vehicle is always going to be shipped in a few days by some never-heard-of-before shipping company for little or no cost that probably does not have a website and uses gmail/hotmail/yahoo as their company email address.

I am not real sure I am definitely suspicious any help would be greatly appreciated.
    I am sure, it is a scam to steal your money.

Thanks for posting up the emails from that scammer. You could also add in the email address itself, it will just add one more bit of information for other suspicious potential victims to find when googling for information.

If you would like to read more about this type of scam, read a few posts here in the 'used car scams' forum and also google "used car scams", "Western Union vehicle fraud" or something similar.

In the end, simply stop emailing that criminal. He has one job in life, convincing victims to send him their hard-earned cash via Western Union or moneygram. Just ignore, delete and block his emails, don't bother to tell him you know he is a scammer, it isn't worth your effort.

As you know, whenever suspicious or just plain curious always post/ask here and every scam-warner-fraud-watching site you can find before taking a chance and losing money to a scammer.
    Found a scam or scammer's email address? Post it at scamwarners.com
    Found a romance scam? Post it at romancescam.com