+ Reply to Thread

Cash on delivery scam

Hi.

Yesterday a postman came to my door (it was a real postman) with a parcel that was cash on delivery, 20 bucks.

I didn't order anything, but I paid the man and when I opened the package it had 2 papper dolls with some strings atached.

What can I do? Is this a scam?

Sorry bad english

Re: Cash on delivery scam

Sorry to hear that you lost money but happy that you found scam dot com to post your story.
    What can I do? Is this a scam?
    Yes, it is the "fake COD package" type scam. I am guessing that you are not in the United States as postman and other delivery companies there do not accept payment for CODs in cash, only checks and money orders. There is very little you can do at this point, you lost $20. Be much more cautious in the future of mystery packages and never pay in cash. Use a check or money order that can be canceled or traced when cashed.

It is an older scam. The scammer sends a box with a fake COD tag on it, the delivery person collects the COD charge and sends it onto the scammer. The scammer will send out dozens of such boxes to random addresses taken from a phone book and people will send him their money.

I would suggest you contact your postal service, that package had to have been picked up somewhere. They should be alerted that a scammer is running the "fake COD package" scam again.

In the future, ask the postal carrier for the shipper's name on the package. If the package does not have a shipper's name and you did not order anything, simply refuse it. Ask to take a good look at the package, most companies these days have company markings or logos on the boxes, if it is a plain brown box, be suspicious. You could also ask if you could pay the charge and pick up the package at a later date at the local office/depot. Legit shippers allow this, fake ones demand payment on the first delivery as they don't want to allow people time to think that this could be a scam.
    Found a scam or scammer's email address? Post it at scamwarners.com
    Found a romance scam? Post it at romancescam.com

The address on the package is from a PO Box, can I trace the real address?

Can the police do anything about this scam? Since I payed and signed for the package that means I accepted it, right? :x

The address on the package is from a PO Box, can I trace the real address?
    In the US, no, the post office won't give out the name of box holder unless presented with a court order. If it is a personal mailbox from a mailbox rental shop, then it depends on that particular shop's policy. In the UK, it also depends on what kind of rental box it is. Besides, since the scammer was intending to rip you and probably others off, he may not have used his own post office box address as the return address, he could have just picked one at random or simply made one up.

Can the police do anything about this scam?
    Doubtful as you don't have the real life name of a the scammer or his street address. You could make a report, as he probably has done this in the past and will continue to do so in the future. As more evidence mounts up, then the police might be able to obtain the court order for the box owner's name, if the address does exist.

Since I payed and signed for the package that means I accepted it, right?
    Unfortunately, yes. Once opened it is yours forever. The post office and other delivery companies won't accept back as "refused" a package that has been opened.
    Found a scam or scammer's email address? Post it at scamwarners.com
    Found a romance scam? Post it at romancescam.com