+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Why can't people live and let live?

Quote Originally Posted by tig View Post
    Guess you have not heard politicians preachin? Government gives em lots of money to do it...

Ever heard of the IRS (except without the "gifts")?...

ya gots to be kiddin me. No athiest pushing their philosophy in science class? LOL big time. When the government sends their preachers door to door you better be answering and saying sir...

Some idiots need the government, some idiots need churches. If you have progressed from being an idiot, just ignore those who do not live and let live, in other words, live and let live.
    To clarify, you believe that all politicians including the government and opposition of your country are atheists? If not you have achieved nothing by comparing the two.
    The strong did what they could, and the weak suffered what they must. - Thucydides

Lord_jag is offline I am God because I say I am. Prove me wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by GHOST DOG View Post
    All that these kinds of people do is push others away from their beliefs, IMHO. Not much of a chance of this kind of charisma working on most of the non-believers. They could use a crash-course in psychology.......
    That is true, but the general feeling behind most religious institution is spreading the word of God to everyone, whether they want to hear it or not.

Even the "good work" they do in the missions has a rider that they have to read the bible and accept Jesus to receive help.
    A real, honest, falsifiable claim made b.y Seer of dreams:(2011)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cnance View Post
    I believe there will be a nuclear war in October of this year.
    Oh Cnance.... Full of shit as always.

[quote]

Quote Originally Posted by iamwil View Post
    That is true, but the general feeling behind most atheists is spreading the word that G!d is non existent and belief in the nonexistent is stupid, to everyone, whether they want to hear it or not.
    I think this is the crux of the problem for atheist. They offer nothing but doom and gloom. It's human nature to seek answers about one's existence and the larger questions about the world and universe. Atheist offer science and incomplete answers.

That is true, but the general feeling behind most atheists is spreading the word that G!d is non existent and belief in the nonexistent is stupid, to everyone, whether they want to hear it or not.
    You know I was just about to mention that to the Athiests that were walking up the street singing about there not being a God and knocking on my door to tell me about the wonders of there not being a God and leaving non-religious fliers in my mailbox if I didn't hear them out or wasn't home...

I WAS going to say something... except that none of that has ever happened as long as I have lived here.

I think this is the crux of the problem for atheist. They offer nothing but doom and gloom. It's human nature to seek answers about one's existence and the larger questions about the world and universe. Atheist offer science and incomplete answers.
    Another quote at the top. If you aren't writing it, who is?
    --------------------

Uh... it's the religious that offer doom and gloom. No matter what you ever do, you will be a sinner when you die. You can never possibly do what you are told you must do in the bible to make it into heaven, so all that awaits you is eternal torment in the fires of hell. That's about as doomy and gloomy as you can get.

Atheists just say that when you die you are gone. There is no spirit to live on and be judged or tortured.

It IS human nature to seek answers. "God did it" is not a satisfying answer. Not nearly as satisfying as not knowing and not nearly as satisfying as knowing some of the answer.

Quote Originally Posted by Vagon View Post
    To clarify, you believe that all politicians including the government and opposition of your country are atheists? If not you have achieved nothing by comparing the two.
    No, the individuals are not atheist, at least many on them are not, but the thing that they work for (the state) teaches atheism, as in the "science" classes that they teach, i.e. origins of man by evolution.

You see, the church wants to be the final authority, and the state wants to be the final authority, and they both go about it in similiar fashion. Sorry if you are blind to the state's tactics.

Not complaining about it, I believe both institutions are necessary, I just don't believe they tell the truth about things, or are as compassionate as they say they are. And both institutions are for those who will not think for themselves, those who will think for themselves can "come out from among them, and be different, and stop being a part in those corrupt institutions", as the good book puts it.

The points is: neither the religious institutions, nor the state institutions are going to let people live and let live. Lord Jag asked why don't the religious live and let live, I was pointing out that is not the only group that doesn't live and let live, the state also doesn't do that, and I believe that they shouldn't, because of idiots that take things too far, and there will always be people who act as idiots, so there will need to be police (both religiously and of the state) that intervene.
    whack it:judges:

No, the individuals are not atheist, at least many on them are not, but the thing that they work for (the state) teaches atheism, as in the "science" classes that they teach, i.e. origins of man by evolution.

You see, the church wants to be the final authority, and the state wants to be the final authority, and they both go about it in similiar fashion. Sorry if you are blind to the state's tactics.

Not complaining about it, I believe both institutions are necessary, I just don't believe they tell the truth about things, or are as compassionate as they say they are. And both institutions are for those who will not think for themselves, those who will think for themselves can "come out from among them, and be different, and stop being a part in those corrupt institutions", as the good book puts it.

The points is: neither the religious institutions, nor the state institutions are going to let people live and let live. Lord Jag asked why don't the religious live and let live, I was pointing out that is not the only group that doesn't live and let live, the state also doesn't do that, and I believe that they shouldn't, because of idiots that take things too far, and there will always be people who act as idiots, so there will need to be police (both religiously and of the state) that intervene.
    Did I ask that? Well yes I guess I did, but it was more to the response of the religious asking why Atheists can't do the same.

Atheism is constantly under heavy attack from all the religious institutions. Evolution is just one way the religious think they are attacking Atheism, even though Atheism doesn't actually support Evolution.

Now most people who are Atheist also believe in Evolution, but those are two different idea's that are mutually exclusive. One could not believe there are any Gods up there but still not believe Evolution, and one could believe a God exists that started it all, but Evolution took over from there.

But I agree that neither side is ready to live and let live. and I guess that's why Atheists wont.

funny they show up on every religious thread and every religious forum...

mayhaps they don't have the nerve to show their faces?
    And forums and threads are places that you decide to invite into your home. You could very easily decide not to go to those places.

I would be equally expecting to be preached to if I went into a church and have no right to complain. You decide to go to forums where Atheists are welcome to voice their opinions.

You could easily go to forums where Atheists are not allowed. Then you could have long pow wow sessions where everyone agrees with you and no one challenges you to think.

You now seem to be conflating atheism with a type of government and also as a branch of science.

Atheism is just a lack of a belief in god. It doesn't tell you how to pass legislation, nor does it explain general relativity.

If this is somehow a blind view, please educate me.

Agreed, it is not in the interest of the government or religion to leave people be. I am, however still at a lost as to how lord_jag is wrong and I think he agrees with you. Here's why:

Atheism is a negative term. It describes something that is defined by what it isn't.

Take away the positive term (in this case religion) and atheism no longer exists, its merely a default state.
    The strong did what they could, and the weak suffered what they must. - Thucydides

[quote]
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord_jag View Post
    Another quote at the top. If you aren't writing it, who is?
    --------------------

Uh... it's the religious that offer doom and gloom. No matter what you ever do, you will be a sinner when you die. You can never possibly do what you are told you must do in the bible to make it into heaven, so all that awaits you is eternal torment in the fires of hell. That's about as doomy and gloomy as you can get.
    I'm not doing anything. I just highlighted the text and selected.

Well, that depends on what religion you belong to. Remember, Doojie suggested there are 38,000 varieties of religion. They all have different prescriptions for salvation.

Atheists just say that when you die you are gone. There is no spirit to live on and be judged or tortured.
    Even though I am a believer, that is kind of what I believe, but, in spite of that, I believe in God.

It IS human nature to seek answers. "God did it" is not a satisfying answer. Not nearly as satisfying as not knowing and not nearly as satisfying as knowing some of the answer.
    There is satisfaction in knowing about God, but not necessarily about human destiny.

I'm not doing anything. I just highlighted the text and selected.
    Weird... noone else seems to have that problem. I tried and it didn't write in a quote for me. Are you using a weird browser? You don't need to select anything. Just hit the quote button.
    Well, that depends on what religion you belong to. Remember, Doojie suggested there are 38,000 varieties of religion. They all have different prescriptions for salvation.
    You're right. A few of the 38,000 varieties probably don't have doom and gloom, but where is the "Hell" option for Atheists?

No doom or gloom at the end.
    Even though I am a believer, that is kind of what I believe, but, in spite of that, I believe in God.

There is satisfaction in knowing about God, but not necessarily about human destiny.
    No.. I find absolutely no satisfaction in "God did it" as an answer. It tells me nothing about how the world works or why. We learn nothing from that and are dissuaded from figuring it out because "only God could know how it works".

I find that very pessimistic since most discoveries are found while researching totally unrelated fields. Why bother research at all if God did it and we couldn't possibly understand how. Not satisfying at all.

[quote]
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord_jag View Post
    Weird... noone else seems to have that problem. I tried and it didn't write in a quote for me. Are you using a weird browser? You don't need to select anything. Just hit the quote button.
    I tried another browser. Apparently, it didn't work.

You're right. A few of the 38,000 varieties probably don't have doom and gloom, but where is the "Hell" option for Atheists?
    Yes, there are none. I don't believe in hell either. Mostly, it comes from Christian theology. I take my definition of being from Genesis ("from dust we come to dust we return")

Because I don't believe in salvation, I kind of think like an atheist. I suppose I have one of the most ridiculous positions in the world. I believe in God, but I don't believe in salvation. That's because I believe God (Jesus) was murdered by men. Therfore, humankind lost an opportunity for salvation.

No doom or gloom at the end.
    Just the end.

No.. I find absolutely no satisfaction in "God did it" as an answer. It tells me nothing about how the world works or why. We learn nothing from that and are dissuaded from figuring it out because "only God could know how it works".
    It may be a cop out. If you can't find an answer, God did it! Since God doesn't tell us what we want to know, we have to find out on our own. That's the way I prefer it. It makes you self-reliant.

I find that very pessimistic since most discoveries are found while researching totally unrelated fields. Why bother research at all if God did it and we couldn't possibly understand how. Not satisfying at all.
    I agree totally. Since God has assumed a policy of nonintervention, that's the best course. He certainly won't come to our rescue.
    Last edited by Cnance; 08-31-2010 at 02:46 PM.

[QUOTE=Cnance;961549]

LJ It may be a cop out. If you can't find an answer, God did it! Since God doesn't tell us what we want to know, we have to find out on our own. That's the way I prefer it. It makes you self-reliant. END

I agree totally. Since God has assumed a policy of nonintervention, that's the best course. He certainly won't come to our rescue.
    god can tell you either but you have to know how to ask is how it's put!? in human communication, we can verbally inquire, or we can inquire by our actions!? we can forcefully act to receive an answer or we can act honestly/innocently without demands and have it volunteered to us!?
    it all hinges on time!? the common and competitive invisible bonds of time we agree to!?what is man's prison anyway but a perception of TIME!? i have time or i dont have time!? what i know defines my time!? if i dont know i dont have time to spare!? if time is money and money is the key to comfort and ease and there is an ongoing competition constantly raising the bar i have no time to devote to what i dont know for sure!?
    what is self and what is mind!? self is existence and mind is guidance in that existence!? god mind would simply mean the best mind, the perfectly successful mind!? man cannot function without mind!? you can do nothing your mind does not direct you to do!? thought is just mind not habituated!? habituated means to become, to inhabit like a skin!? to no longer think but just do automatically!? thinking is a PAIN/nuisance when not voluntary!? thought is the result of not knowing!? persistantly painful thinking is the result of not knowing god!? knowing god is the release into the pure state of existence without thought or true unbreakable contentment/happiness, for starters!? does anyone need more!? that's the CATCH i guess!? :cwm2: :spin2: : :
    i do not endorse/recommend any advertising on scam.com associated with my name /posts or otherwise. thank you

b.cos we love them....................