+ Reply to Thread

American Consumer Opinion

Yesterday I received an unsolicited cashiers check in the mail. It was for the amount of $2320.00. I was given instructions to spend $150 dollars at sears,walmart,jc penney etc. and fill out a short questionaire. I was also to send $1700 dollars by Western Union to an unnamed site (I had to call later for the codes) and report on their customer service. The remaining money I was to keep for my services. I smelled scam immediately and called the Credit Union that issued the check. They said they were aware of the problem, the check was fake, and I should just tear it up. When I asked what would have been my liability if I had actually cashed the check and done what I had been asked to do, she stated that I would have been liable for the entire amount of the check if it had actually gone through my bank account. Sometimes the banks do not realize the checks are fake before your acct. is actually credited the money. I just wanted to warn everyone out there that this is happening. I also want to point out that there is a totally legitimate company of the same name out there that offers online surveys. These unscrupulous people do not seem to be affiliated with the original company in any way. Please always be aware that if it sounds too good to be true it usually is.

Re: American Consumer Opinion

Thanks for posting up your experience with the "cash the fake check" type scam.

That instruction note you received, did it have an email address and/or phone number? If so, could you post up that information from that scammer? It will just add more information to help potential suspicious victims find your post when they go looking for information.
    Found a scam or scammer's email address? Post it at scamwarners.com
    Found a romance scam? Post it at romancescam.com

thanks for the post, i recieved one yesterday as well for $1900+

It was American Consumer Opinion / customer Evaluation out of Canada

The funniest thing is the check was signed by john hancock..

Complete Scam!

It is VERY important to realize that American Consumer Opinion is a legitimate consumer research site.

These scammers take the names of real companies (typically survey sites or mystery shopping sites) and send these checks out... The checks ARE FAKE... but the companies are real. They are just having their names exploited.. DO NOT cash the checks.. contact the real companies to let them know it is happening if you can.

Quote Originally Posted by katiescorner View Post
    It is VERY important to realize that American Consumer Opinion is a legitimate consumer research site.

These scammers take the names of real companies (typically survey sites or mystery shopping sites) and send these checks out... The checks ARE FAKE... but the companies are real. They are just having their names exploited.. DO NOT cash the checks.. contact the real companies to let them know it is happening if you can.
    Why do they do this?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by katiescorner

Why do they do this?
    For 2 main reasons:
    1)Scammers are not about to do more work than absolutely necessary. Why create a fake company name, fake employee names, fake website when they can just steal the corporate identity of a real life company?
    2) Using a real life company makes their scam seem more legit when a suspicious person googles for information, they will find the real life company and think the scam is not a scam but a real job.

Which is why making the scammer's scams googlable is so important, as a suspicious potential victim could find the post from a former victim and then not be a victim due to you posting your experience.

I received this fake check in the mail for 1985.00
    What a bunch of losers.

Here's the info
    Check was from:
    Slick Orchards, LLC
    2917 NW Cascade
    East Wenatchee, WA 98802

Letter was from:
    American Consumer Opinion Customer Evaluation
    451 Queens St,
    Niagara Falls, ON L2E 6S8
    Fax No. 1-260-572-4373
    Ph No. 1-647-831-1196

starts off like this:
    Congratulations!!! You have been selected to participate in a paid Consumer Research Program. As one of the people selected to represent our firm, you will be acting as a Customer service Evaluator of selected Companies in your area. All participants in this program were selected from amongst people who responded to out online survey indicating interest in participating in our research program.

Please call Ms Victoria Jeff at 1-647-862-2882 upon receipt of this letter and she will assist your if needed...

here's the scam details:
    Enclosed is a check for 1,985 to assist you with your assignment. It is imperative that upon receipt of this Check, you contact Ms Victoria between 9am-7pm Monday to Friday and Saturday 10am-4pm (EST) for activation. Failure to do so will result in automatic disqualification of your assignment.
    CASH WITHDRAWAL $1735. Your Survey payment is $250; keep that in your account.
    Details for the disbursement of enclosed funds.
    $250 - you're payment. Pay rate increases to $400 after completion of the assignment.
    $50.00 - for your shopping at Wal-Mart. Keep the items, receipt required
    $1,505.00 - survey for Western Union. receipt required
    $50.00 - for your shopping at K-Mart/JC Penny. Keep the items, receipt required
    $130.00 - To pay for Western Union service charge fee
    $1,985 - Total

The info on the bottom of the check reads as follows:
    007017 125000024 14063 705
    Check is supposedly from:
    Bank of America
    Wenatchee Valley 081802
    Washington
    and is signed by:
    Chris Egglit

Some references at the end of the letter:
    Ashley Hudson
    Human Resources Manager
    Head Office (United States)
    115 2nd Ave, New York, NY

Carol Simpson (Schedule Manager)
    Regional Office: Canada
    451 Queens St, Niagara Falls, ON L2E 6SA

Sandra Owens (Scheduled Manager)
    Regional Office (London England)
    28 Warwick Rd, Earls-Court
    SW5 9UD, London-England
    Last edited by UltraXar; 06-13-2011 at 02:08 PM.

Hello,

I received basically this same offer with the same names at the bottom,with a check for $985.00. I chose not to participate but did consider it for a minute. Changed my mind because to me, it looks like a money laundering scam. My question is why is the Western Union amount so high and the others so low? Looks like a way to move money. What is their point of doing it?/ Does anyone know the answer to that?? In comparison to yours, they are changing names on the contact person, changing last names of the people at the bottom and also the numbers at the top. Mine says the following:

Ph No. 403-890-8121
    fx: 678-960-7522

Have to call: Mike Anderson (he sounded really weird, like he was using a muffling device over the phone and did not want to talk long)

Name of comp: American Opinion Consumer Research Inc

LIke I said, what is their point...do they obtain your bank account information if you deposit the check or what??

Tpier

Quote Originally Posted by UltraXar View Post
    I received this fake check in the mail for 1985.00
    What a bunch of losers.

Here's the info
    Check was from:
    Slick Orchards, LLC
    2917 NW Cascade
    East Wenatchee, WA 98802

Letter was from:
    American Consumer Opinion Customer Evaluation
    451 Queens St,
    Niagara Falls, ON L2E 6S8
    Fax No. 1-260-572-4373
    Ph No. 1-647-831-1196

starts off like this:
    Congratulations!!! You have been selected to participate in a paid Consumer Research Program. As one of the people selected to represent our firm, you will be acting as a Customer service Evaluator of selected Companies in your area. All participants in this program were selected from amongst people who responded to out online survey indicating interest in participating in our research program.

Please call Ms Victoria Jeff at 1-647-862-2882 upon receipt of this letter and she will assist your if needed...

here's the scam details:
    Enclosed is a check for 1,985 to assist you with your assignment. It is imperative that upon receipt of this Check, you contact Ms Victoria between 9am-7pm Monday to Friday and Saturday 10am-4pm (EST) for activation. Failure to do so will result in automatic disqualification of your assignment.
    CASH WITHDRAWAL $1735. Your Survey payment is $250; keep that in your account.
    Details for the disbursement of enclosed funds.
    $250 - you're payment. Pay rate increases to $400 after completion of the assignment.
    $50.00 - for your shopping at Wal-Mart. Keep the items, receipt required
    $1,505.00 - survey for Western Union. receipt required
    $50.00 - for your shopping at K-Mart/JC Penny. Keep the items, receipt required
    $130.00 - To pay for Western Union service charge fee
    $1,985 - Total

The info on the bottom of the check reads as follows:
    007017 125000024 14063 705
    Check is supposedly from:
    Bank of America
    Wenatchee Valley 081802
    Washington
    and is signed **:
    Chris Egglit

Some references at the end of the letter:
    Ashley Hudson
    Human Resources Manager
    Head Office (United States)
    115 2nd Ave, New York, NY

Carol Simpson (Schedule Manager)
    Regional Office: Canada
    451 Queens St, Niagara Falls, ON L2E 6SA

Sandra Owens (Scheduled Manager)
    Regional Office (London England)
    28 Warwick Rd, Earls-Court
    SW5 9UD, London-England

the check is fake but your bank will cash it for you, because they trust you, and they know, if it is bad, you have to pay, not the bank. you pay. you pay. don't play. you pay.

Quote Originally Posted by tpier2005 View Post
    My question is why is the Western Union amount so high and the others so low? Looks like a way to move money. What is their point of doing it?/ Does anyone know the answer to that?? In comparison to yours, they are changing names on the contact person, changing last names of the people at the bottom and also the numbers at the top. Mine says the following:

LIke I said, what is their point...do they obtain your bank account information if you deposit the check or what??

Tpier
    The amount of fake check depends on the scammer, how greedy he is and what fake check template he has. The only money moving is the victim's to the scammer. There is no money laundering as the scammer isn't moving any money. The point is to steal a victim's money. The scammers don't obtain your bank account information if you deposit the check, they receive your cash when you send it to them via Western Union or moneygram.

Western Union and moneygram do not verify anything on the form the sender fills out, not the name, not the street address, not the country, not even the gender of the receiver, it all means absolutely nothing. The clerk will not bother to check ID and will simply hand off your cash to whomever walks in the door with the MTCN# and question/answer. Neither company will tell the sender who picked up the cash, at what store location or even in what country your money walked out the door. Neither company has any kind of refund policy, money sent is money gone forever.

The receiver's names change because scammer have to change their names when victims and potential victims post the scammer's names, email addresses, emails and phone numbers on every scam-warner-anti-fraud-busting site they can find.

The only real life job here is the victim paying back the bank for all the bank's cash that was sent to the scammer.