+ Reply to Thread

What's Wrong With The Modern Churches?

The Bible said in the last days there would be a great falling away from the faith into apostasy. That's one of the signs of the last days. So what do we have today?
    Priests going after little boys and the pope covering this up for years. This means a lot of them are gay - and the pope may be one too. When I was a child growing up in the Assembly of God church compared to what it was the last time I went to one you would think they were two different churches.
    When I was a child they opposed the Roman Catholic church, they were actually "protestants," but no longer. They opposed Masonic Lodge membership. No more. They opposed playing cards, going to movies, social drinking, divorce and remarriage, smoking cigarettes. No longer.
    The ministers used to live modestly. Now the Benny Hinn's, John Hagee's, Jack Van Impe's, Billy Graham's, Joyce Meyers', etc., etc., etc. are often millionaires. When I was a child the ministers made house calls. They came with their little bottle of oil to pray for the sick. Now if you can meet with these high and mighty ones at all you need to make an appointment and meet them in their office.
    When I was a child they had camp meetings, revival meetings, fellowship meetings, prayer meetings (some even all night prayer meetings). Now most churches only have one service a week because no one was attending the Sunday night and Wednesday night meetings. When I was a child they emphasized day and night reading, meditation on, and memorization of the King James version Bible. They really knew their Bibles and lived their lives by it back then. Most modern Christians rarely read their Bibles and if and when they do it's usually some modern *****ed down version.
    We need a revival, friends, and most of these modern "Christian" leaders are never going to call for a revival. If they haven't already with all the problems we've had you know they are never likely to. But we Christians need to start seeking the Lord for revival ourselves. One more world wide revival, that may even be hard to observe happening by many, and then Jesus will come back again.

LogicallyYours is offline Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings.

Re: What's Wrong With The Modern Churches?

I think you should end it all now....meet Jeebus half way.
    "Religion is a heavy suitcase: all you have to do is put it down."
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    "I have read the bible...more than once. I was not impressed nor was I so moved to give up my ability to think for myself and surrender my knowledge of facts for the unfounded belief in a mythical sky-fairy." - Me.

The church is nothing more than the people, not a building. So what's wrong with modern churches? The people have lost their way. But the wonderful thing about Christ, who is the way, He can always be found because He is never lost, we are. If people stop putting their faith in man (a minister) who is weak and human like the rest of us, we wouldn't have such problems. Put your faith in God, read his word continually, pray continually, repent and seek his face daily and you will not easily be led astray. Simple.

miamac said:
    Put your faith in God, read his word continually, pray continually, repent and seek his face daily and you will not easily be led astray. Simple.
    Simpler and more logical.... forget about something that you only feel that you know, besides everything ever written about God was written by a man anyway, give yourself a lot more credit, ask your fellow human beings for help if, and when you need it, and do it yourself....Faith is a poor replacement for Fact.

This is like asking what's wrong with Newtonian gravity. Nothing really it achieves quite a lot and is useful in many fields with the formulas it provides.

Similarly modern churches achieve quite a lot in terms of charitable work and giving a purpose to many.

Nevertheless Newtonian gravity is wrong and a far better theory has been established: general relativity, which explains the same things to a better degree and without the failures of its predecessor.

Similarly modern churches have and are being replaced. Modern statistics and probability theory have bolstered the realms of science and philosophy to a level that, like general relativity, better explains life than religion - without many of the failures.
    The strong did what they could, and the weak suffered what they must. - Thucydides

LogicallyYours is offline Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings.

What's Wrong With The Modern Churches?
    They're filled with people who should know better.

Put your faith in God, read his word continually, pray continually, repent and seek his face daily and you will not easily be led astray. Simple.
    No, put your faith in yourself. You, and only you control your destiny by how hard you try, your personal morals and the opportunities presented. No gawd involved...none needed.

You live your life, participate in society and fail or succeed upon your own merits.
    Last edited by LogicallyYours; 08-26-2010 at 02:27 PM.
    "Religion is a heavy suitcase: all you have to do is put it down."
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    "I have read the bible...more than once. I was not impressed nor was I so moved to give up my ability to think for myself and surrender my knowledge of facts for the unfounded belief in a mythical sky-fairy." - Me.