+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 14 of 14

  1. #1
    sojustask's Avatar
    sojustask is offline The Late, Great Lady Mod - Retired User Rank
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    12,866

    Science on the Take

    Science on the Take:
    Supplement Smear Campaigns


    The fix is on. An increasingly ominous propaganda machine is
    presently churning out deceptive information about the food
    supplement industry.

    For example, a recent media story reported in the New England
    Journal of Medicine dealt with a study supposedly showing that
    women who took calcium and vitamin D supplements did not obtain
    any protection against hip fracture. This, even though the
    actual study stated:

    Women receiving calcium with vitamin D supplements had greater
    preservation of total-hip bone mineral density?1

    As a result of this and other similar misleading headlines,
    millions of American women this year will discard their calcium
    and vitamin D supplements. This is welcome news for
    pharmaceutical companies that sell expensive drugs to treat
    osteoporosis.

    Financial ties permitted

    Equally disturbing was an announcement made in June 2002 by the
    above publication, the New England Journal of Medicine, one of
    the nation?s most respected medical journals. The editors
    declared that they were dropping their policy stipulating that
    authors of review articles of medical studies could not have
    financial ties to drug companies whose medicines were being
    analyzed. Instead, the journal now requires that their reviewers
    can have received no more than $10,000 from companies whose work
    they judge.2

    Science on the take

    The actual authors of scientific studies in medical journals are
    often bought and paid for by private drug companies with a stake
    in the scientific results. An independent 1996 study found that
    98 percent of scientific papers based on research sponsored by
    corporations promoted the effectiveness of a company's drug.
    This corruption reaches from the doctors prescribing a drug to
    government review boards to university research centers.3

    If it bleeds, it leads

    What many people do not realize is that it is not the media?s
    obligation to provide accurate reporting. The media is
    responsible for generating profits for its shareholders, which
    means it has to grab the public?s attention with sensational
    headlines that sell newspapers.

    The misleading headlines are typically grounded in studies that
    are actually designed to fail. As we have noted, many of the
    doctors who design and author these flawed studies receive
    financial compensation from pharmaceutical companies that stand
    to gain by deriding low-cost, natural approaches to disease
    prevention.

    The situation, then, basically, is this: conventional doctors?
    with little knowledge about the proper use of nutrients, but
    with strong financial ties to the pharmaceutical industry?are
    conducting industry-sponsored studies that contain so many flaws
    that their findings are largely irrelevant.

    Health is your birthright

    We must not allow a supplement smear campaign based on skewed
    studies and headline-hungry media spin to destroy our trust in
    complementary health care. The use of food supplements is not a
    transitory phenomenon. Ancestral wisdom regarding the medicinal
    use of plants is our birthright. The natural approach to
    wellness has been around for a long, long time, and it will
    certainly outlive today?s headlines.

    1. Faloon, William. ?Dietary Supplements attacked by the Media.?
    Life Extension, June 2006.
    2. Newman, Nathan. ?Big Pharma, Bad Science.? The Nation, July
    25, 2002.
    3. Ibid.

    This article is copyrighted by www.DrClarkStore.com [0] and may
    be freely distributed as long as you include this sentence.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    1,736

    Re: Science on the Take

    The pharmaceutical industry is the biggest scam in the world! :mad:
    And it's so so sooo easy for them to get attention because everyone's interested and the media just reports anything they receive.
    Example:
    There's a man in Australia, I forget his name dammit maybe someone on here will know it, he's written a great book (I haven't read it but I've read many excerpts and seen it referenced a lot) on pharmaceutical scams.
    As publicity for the book, and as a prank, he released a fictional study on a new illness. Again I forget the specific name, it was a very real-sounding name hehe, but basically it was an illness that makes people unmotivated and affected a large number (1/3 I think) of Australians. There was an ad on TV, which aired in many countries, I think the USA showed a modified version too, which stated all these things as fact (even though he'd just made the whole thing up) until he finally just said it was a hoax. Of course his book sales went up dramatically after that, and he did live TV interviews (this was a little over a month ago I think) but it of course outlined a huge problem, one he illustrates in his book.
    I personally don't even take Panadol or Aspirin or Neurofen or anything else unless I have a very bad headache. They're not exactly the most healthy things. But they're okay, I mean aside from little negative health contributions at least they somewhat work (of course their affect is somewhat placeboic but they do work in actuality too) so there's no point getting upset about them, and I don't think anyone is, but there are so many drugs that just don't even work, and even more that do work but are constantly wrongfully prescribed because the boundaries of their usefulness is stretched more than it should be to boost sales.

    I'm noticing it even in my country now, which is very strange because we have a "tough culture" of when we get sick we only seek medical help if it's really needed, e.g. we are dying :P as opposed to the States which is a lot more like "oh I have a tiny thing wrong with me I must be dying" (I'm not making fun of Americans; that response is documented and largely a tribute to the phenomenon of pharmaceutical marketing "genius", not a flaw in your culture itself) I think it's one of the most worrying things in the world today.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    540

    Re: Science on the Take

    according to my doctor, women need extra calcium in their diets because as early as in their 30's they can start losing bone mass. i take it myself in addition to various other supplements as i try to lead a healthy life! :)

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    26,302

    Re: Science on the Take

    Quote Originally Posted by saturnsc2
    according to my doctor, women need extra calcium in their diets because as early as in their 30's they can start losing bone mass. i take it myself in addition to various other supplements as i try to lead a healthy life! :)
    be careful!to much and you "might" become a bonehead!?hehe!!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    540

    Re: Science on the Take

    Quote Originally Posted by lexx
    be careful!to much and you "might" become a bonehead!?hehe!!
    too late! :D

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    25

    Re: Science on the Take

    SubJunk, tell me about it. Some of my medicines cost over $100. I don't know what I'd do if I wasn't on the Husky plan here from the state. What's worse is that the state pays less for the same medicine than I'd have to pay! That's ridiculous.

  7. #7
    sojustask's Avatar
    sojustask is offline The Late, Great Lady Mod - Retired User Rank
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    12,866

    Re: Science on the Take

    Quote Originally Posted by SubJunk
    The pharmaceutical industry is the biggest scam in the world! :mad:
    And it's so so sooo easy for them to get attention because everyone's interested and the media just reports anything they receive.
    Example:
    There's a man in Australia, I forget his name dammit maybe someone on here will know it, he's written a great book (I haven't read it but I've read many excerpts and seen it referenced a lot) on pharmaceutical scams.
    Would it be Dr John Braithwaite?

    The book: "CORPORATE CRIME IN THE PHARMACEUTICAL INDUSTRY"

    http://www.pnc.com.au/~cafmr/newsl/crisis2.html

    Lady Mod

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    1,736

    Re: Science on the Take

    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelM
    SubJunk, tell me about it. Some of my medicines cost over $100. I don't know what I'd do if I wasn't on the Husky plan here from the state. What's worse is that the state pays less for the same medicine than I'd have to pay! That's ridiculous.
    Maybe you should move to Italy, over there all their medical bills are paid for by the government. I think it includes things like that too :)

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    540

    Re: Science on the Take

    Quote Originally Posted by SubJunk
    Maybe you should move to Italy, over there all their medical bills are paid for by the government. I think it includes things like that too :)
    i'm on my way...

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    26,302

    Re: Science on the Take

    Quote Originally Posted by saturnsc2
    i'm on my way...
    venice in the spring of time or the fall of life is a place of beauty....yet stinky water!?hehe!!
    Last edited by lexx; 06-05-2006 at 12:17 PM.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    64

    Re: Science on the Take

    Quote Originally Posted by SubJunk
    The pharmaceutical industry is the biggest scam in the world! :mad:
    And it's so so sooo easy for them to get attention because everyone's interested and the media just reports anything they receive.
    Example:
    There's a man in Australia, I forget his name dammit maybe someone on here will know it, he's written a great book (I haven't read it but I've read many excerpts and seen it referenced a lot) on pharmaceutical scams.
    As publicity for the book, and as a prank, he released a fictional study on a new illness. Again I forget the specific name, it was a very real-sounding name hehe, but basically it was an illness that makes people unmotivated and affected a large number (1/3 I think) of Australians. There was an ad on TV, which aired in many countries, I think the USA showed a modified version too, which stated all these things as fact (even though he'd just made the whole thing up) until he finally just said it was a hoax. Of course his book sales went up dramatically after that, and he did live TV interviews (this was a little over a month ago I think) but it of course outlined a huge problem, one he illustrates in his book.
    I personally don't even take Panadol or Aspirin or Neurofen or anything else unless I have a very bad headache. They're not exactly the most healthy things. But they're okay, I mean aside from little negative health contributions at least they somewhat work (of course their affect is somewhat placeboic but they do work in actuality too) so there's no point getting upset about them, and I don't think anyone is, but there are so many drugs that just don't even work, and even more that do work but are constantly wrongfully prescribed because the boundaries of their usefulness is stretched more than it should be to boost sales.

    I'm noticing it even in my country now, which is very strange because we have a "tough culture" of when we get sick we only seek medical help if it's really needed, e.g. we are dying :P as opposed to the States which is a lot more like "oh I have a tiny thing wrong with me I must be dying" (I'm not making fun of Americans; that response is documented and largely a tribute to the phenomenon of pharmaceutical marketing "genius", not a flaw in your culture itself) I think it's one of the most worrying things in the world today.
    I have enjoyed many of your posts here but I'm on the other side on this one.
    At least you are trying to practice what you preach by not taking any meds discovered/developed by, to use your words, the biggest scam in the world. I wish all the other pharma bashers I encounter would do the same. Unfortunately, most are all too willing to take meds without hesitation then complain (they're just too expensive, too many side effects, they may be harmful (no kidding, they contain active and in many cases very potent ingredients) but none of this is enough for them to do without). If people feel this way about the pharma industry, I say go ahead and live without modern medicine and medications, reduce the life expectancy and the quality of life for you and your family.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    1,736

    Re: Science on the Take

    Quote Originally Posted by justlearning
    I have enjoyed many of your posts here but I'm on the other side on this one.
    At least you are trying to practice what you preach by not taking any meds discovered/developed by, to use your words, the biggest scam in the world. I wish all the other pharma bashers I encounter would do the same. Unfortunately, most are all too willing to take meds without hesitation then complain (they're just too expensive, too many side effects, they may be harmful (no kidding, they contain active and in many cases very potent ingredients) but none of this is enough for them to do without). If people feel this way about the pharma industry, I say go ahead and live without modern medicine and medications, reduce the life expectancy and the quality of life for you and your family.
    I'm a huge supporter of the pharmaceutical industry don't get me wrong, there are a lot of useful pills out there. I'm in no means a naturalist, I'm pro cloning, stem cell research and genetic engineering. Scientific experimentation is nearly always good in my books, if done properly, and releasing useful, tested products to the public is great.

    I'm reluctant to point out this example because it will no doubt lead to people getting off topic, but it's a worthy example anyway; Ritalin.
    I use this example because Ritalin is a great drug, I mean it's not a scientific breakthrough but it works and I fully support it's invention. However it has been grossly misused, as the majority of children given it shouldn't be.

    One of the dangers of mass-marketed drugs like Ritalin that are given out like candy is that it completely changes the definition of what is accepted behaviour by children.
    You know what they called children before ADHD and ADD was such a loosely thrown around term? Children is what they called them.
    Kids are a little hyperactive sometimes, it doesn't mean they need a drug, it means they are acting their age. Some kids are more hyperactive than others, fine, it means they're a hyperactive child, not that they should automatically be prescribed Ritalin.
    In school I knew plenty of hyperactive kids and they often do one of two things; grow out of it, or grow up to be an energetic adult.
    Should we be giving Ritalin to Crazy Gray-Haired Guy from American Idol?
    What I believe is that hyperactivity and short attention spans are often a result of the horrible disease that infects 100% of humans: UPS (Unique Personality Syndrome)
    We're all different people and not all of us are able or even willing to go to a university (college), not all of us are "college material" because of short attention spans or lack of intelligence or whatever.
    Those people grow up to do essential roles in society, they build and clean and make rap music (oh that was a cheap shot I'm sorry hip hoppers :p).
    The fact is that the backbone of any society and any economy is it's tertiary sector (labour intensive jobs) and here's where the great scam for drugs like Ritalin come in.
    They encourage parents to think their kids are more capable than they are. There are physical barriers to intelligence and attention-spans for everyone alive, no one has a limitless supply of intelligence or attention. Both those things can be improved by teaching and drugs, sure, but the ripples that that mentality has in society are profound, and this is not radical thinking because it has already happened. The phenomenon of "yes, we can make people think there is something wrong with themselves or their kids for a profit" is as much a reaction to a deeper problem as it is a cause of the problem.
    Anyone who has studied Marx and/or Lenin's economic models and predictions will be well aware of the point I was about to go into but I just realised there's something shiny on the ground and I have to

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    64

    Re: Science on the Take

    Quote Originally Posted by SubJunk
    I'm a huge supporter of the pharmaceutical industry don't get me wrong, there are a lot of useful pills out there. I'm in no means a naturalist, I'm pro cloning, stem cell research and genetic engineering. Scientific experimentation is nearly always good in my books, if done properly, and releasing useful, tested products to the public is great.

    I'm reluctant to point out this example because it will no doubt lead to people getting off topic, but it's a worthy example anyway; Ritalin.
    I use this example because Ritalin is a great drug, I mean it's not a scientific breakthrough but it works and I fully support it's invention. However it has been grossly misused, as the majority of children given it shouldn't be.

    One of the dangers of mass-marketed drugs like Ritalin that are given out like candy is that it completely changes the definition of what is accepted behaviour by children.
    You know what they called children before ADHD and ADD was such a loosely thrown around term? Children is what they called them.
    Kids are a little hyperactive sometimes, it doesn't mean they need a drug, it means they are acting their age. Some kids are more hyperactive than others, fine, it means they're a hyperactive child, not that they should automatically be prescribed Ritalin.
    In school I knew plenty of hyperactive kids and they often do one of two things; grow out of it, or grow up to be an energetic adult.
    Should we be giving Ritalin to Crazy Gray-Haired Guy from American Idol?
    What I believe is that hyperactivity and short attention spans are often a result of the horrible disease that infects 100% of humans: UPS (Unique Personality Syndrome)
    We're all different people and not all of us are able or even willing to go to a university (college), not all of us are "college material" because of short attention spans or lack of intelligence or whatever.
    Those people grow up to do essential roles in society, they build and clean and make rap music (oh that was a cheap shot I'm sorry hip hoppers :p).
    The fact is that the backbone of any society and any economy is it's tertiary sector (labour intensive jobs) and here's where the great scam for drugs like Ritalin come in.
    They encourage parents to think their kids are more capable than they are. There are physical barriers to intelligence and attention-spans for everyone alive, no one has a limitless supply of intelligence or attention. Both those things can be improved by teaching and drugs, sure, but the ripples that that mentality has in society are profound, and this is not radical thinking because it has already happened. The phenomenon of "yes, we can make people think there is something wrong with themselves or their kids for a profit" is as much a reaction to a deeper problem as it is a cause of the problem.
    Anyone who has studied Marx and/or Lenin's economic models and predictions will be well aware of the point I was about to go into but I just realised there's something shiny on the ground and I have to
    SubJunk,
    Great points on Ritalin and the impact on our society, I agree. I somehow made it through college in spite of my lack of intelligence or attention span but I often wonder if I would have been happier in a trade or small business. The most enjoyable work I did was manual/physical work I did before I started my "career" in a technical field. I think my father's generation was probably the last to really value manual/trade labor. I think we do ourselves a great disservice by devaluing manual labor and those who don't meet our "standards" when it comes to conventional education. The fact that almost everyone now goes go to college or somehow thinks that they must is a big problem IMO.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    1,736

    Re: Science on the Take

    Quote Originally Posted by justlearning
    SubJunk,
    Great points on Ritalin and the impact on our society, I agree. I somehow made it through college in spite of my lack of intelligence or attention span but I often wonder if I would have been happier in a trade or small business. The most enjoyable work I did was manual/physical work I did before I started my "career" in a technical field. I think my father's generation was probably the last to really value manual/trade labor. I think we do ourselves a great disservice by devaluing manual labor and those who don't meet our "standards" when it comes to conventional education. The fact that almost everyone now goes go to college or somehow thinks that they must is a big problem IMO.
    These are great points by you, too.
    Like you said, it's very damaging to a society when the people believe their child will be a failure if they work as a labourer. It's damaging in many ways.

    1) Our economy and social structuring relies on there being more lower class (of course there is no class system anymore but speaking in terms of money) people than middle class people, and more middle class people than upper class people. When everyone is being raised to believe they should be middle to upper class, and that they will be a failure if they don't reach that goal, it can and does have serious economic impact, which America is seeing with the high unemployment rate; people would rather collect dole money and even in some cases be homeless than take on the "shame" of being a janitor or something. When you're homeless you can exist in your own world, a world where your friends are also homeless and you're so far removed from mainstream society that such shame can be avoided, but if you're a janitor or general labourer you're in the world and have to face the shame that you didn't "do more with your life" (a bullsh!t statement if there ever was one, it's sick that we measure success in life by monetary gain) every single day, and see the judgement in others' eyes.

    2) Well I kindof already said it in 1 when I went off on the tangent, but 1 was going to be about economic affects and this one was going to be about people's feelings of failure. Also parent's feelings of disappointment. The parents (often a big cause of the pressure to "become something") are as much a product of the mentality as the children who are indoctrinated by it. The parent isn't knowingly setting their child up to feel disappointed with their life in the future, but it happens, and both have to live with that in their minds.

    This mindset is a product partly of our society's inherent and bred response to our economic structure; it's important in western democracies (using that word in the broadest way, I don't care about arguing about which type of specific democracy we're in or whatever :p) for everyone to want to have more money. Everyone wants more money, and if they don't they're crazy. Not a constant want or need, but I think everyone in the world would think it was pretty cool if they got a pay raise, or won lotto, or inherited a lot of money. I think it goes without saying, and it's important. But it's gone so far now that people not only want more money than they need, but they strive for it, always the huge struggle to make more money, to live a more luxurious lifestyle. When you live in a 2 bedroom house you might want 3 or 4. When you live in a mansion you might want another one, or a new boat, and it's not that the people themselves are corrupt, it's the system everyone including the rich people live in.

    As justlearning said, we really need to start valuing labouring jobs. They are essential and in my opinion just as good and worthy of admiration as any other profession.
    justlearning you've obviously benefited from your education; your spelling and articulation are great, but as you say you may've been happier in another field that didn't require that. It shows a great deal of maturity and wisdom, the likes of which I don't think many people gain in their whole lives, to make the personal insights you've made. And you know, it's never too late to change professions. That's one great thing about this system; it's hard to move "up" but easy to move "down". :)

Similar Threads

  1. Science... who needs it?
    By tomInAustin in forum Religious Scams
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 11-10-2015, 04:59 PM
  2. Science Channel Support our Science Contest?
    By Contest Scams in forum Mail Order Scams
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-05-2015, 05:57 PM
  3. Science
    By tomInAustin in forum Religious Scams
    Replies: 53
    Last Post: 07-27-2014, 07:43 AM
  4. NASA piling garbage science on science fraud
    By aguest in forum Science Scams
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-03-2009, 01:18 PM
  5. Why. . .Science. . .Can Not?
    By enlightenme007 in forum Science Scams
    Replies: 237
    Last Post: 04-12-2007, 02:42 PM

Tags for this Thread

Add / Edit Tags
$100, 000, accepted, accurate, active, add, adult, age, alive, ame, america, american, another, ation, attacked, attention, australia, aware, bad, based, bashers, basically, biggest, boards, books, boost, break, bullsh, called, care, career, careful, cell, center, class, clean, clo, collect, college, compensation, complain, completely, con, cons, constant, constantly, corporate, cost, countries, country, crazy, crisis, culture, day, definition, disease, disturbing, doctors, doesn, don, dow, dropping, drug, drugs, dyi, dying, early, easy, economic, economic impact, effective, effects, eme, engineering, essential, extra, eyes, face, fail, fall, father, fec, feel, field, finally, financial, fix, flaw, forget, fully, fun, future, gain, general, generation, genius, good, grab, gray, ground, hard, healthy, hey, high, hip, his, hoax, horrible, house, html, huge, huma, humans, illness, illus, ime, impact, important, improved, include, industry, inherited, intelligence, ion, isn, italy, john, judge, kidding, knew, large, last, lead, leads, lexx, likes, live, long, losing, lot, mad, mainstream, making, marketing, mass, mea, medical, meet, monetary, month, more, move, nathan, nation, needed, number, pays, people, personal, personality, personally, phenomenon, plants, point, policy, pos, posts, pra, predictions, private, problem, product, products, profit, profits, protection, public, quality, quote, reaction, read, real, receive, receiving, released, removed, reporting, reports, research, response, results, ridiculous, rie, roy, scam, scams, science, sell, set, short, shot, shouldn, showed, shows, sick, small, small business, sooo, sorry, speaking, spring, star, start, state, stated, states, story, strange, stream, study, supplement, supporter, system, tak, they, thinks, throw, ties, tme, today, total, tough, trade, tribute, unemployment, upper, ups, upset, url, usa, version, water, ways, western, work, world, worse, worthy, wrong, year

View Tag Cloud

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may edit your posts
  •