+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Have I been Scammed or am I a Scammer?

How is it possible that BOTH are true? How can I go from the poor soul being scammed to the evil scammer? Was it when I actually started making money in a home business or when I started making money in a business not approved of on this forum? So am I a scammer at heart just because I continue to pursue my goals until I succeed, or just because of the ventures I choose to pursue? If the current business that is making me money was costing me more than I make, would I still be a scammer or would I continue to be the scammed?

Are these valid questions? You bet they are! Do I expect to be totally discredited and eviscerated on this board for saying this? Absolutely, That is what this board is about! It is also about controversy and debate, so let's have it!

There are truths not being told here! How about the truth that from the beginning of time people have chosen to work for themselves and pursue their own dreams? How about the Truth that most will never become finacially independent working for someone else? So is it wanting to be in control of your own destiny that makes you a scammer or just the "TYPE" of business you choose to pursue?

Let's look at some statistics about a more "Traditional Business model" The Franchise:

- The franchising industry employs over 8 million people in the U.S.

- Annual U.S. retail franchise sales in 2000- 1 trillion

- The franchise industry accounts for 40% of all retail sales in the US

- A new franchise business opens every 8 minutes of every business day

- Approximately one out of every 12 businesses in the U.S. is a franchise business

- Franchise fact: More than 75 different industries use franchising as a means to distribute goods and services

- The average initial franchise investment is $250,000- excluding real estate.

- The average royalty fees paid by franchisees range from 3% to 6% of monthly gross sales.

- Most franchise companies have fewer than 100 units

- The average length of a franchise contract is 10 years

- Top franchise industry- Fast Food

- Top franchise company- McDonalds

Now, lets analyze this:

Assuming 5 business days X 52 weeks = 260 Business days
    1 new franchise every 8 minutes = 180 franchises a day
    180 X 260 = 46,800 new Franchises a year

According to Small Business Administration only about 5% will fail! Thats Great! So of 46,800 new business (franchise only) only 2,340 will fail in any given year.

Given the Average Initial startup without realestate of $250,000 That is a minimum loss of $585,000,000 per year in the Franchise Industry Alone!

Assuming the average Home Business Opportunity Seeker who does not make money loses on Average $5000 a year in failed ventures You would need 117,000 people failing in a home business to equal what the losess are in the Franchise industry!

This is JUST the Franchise Industry... Truth is - the majority of people starting a Business of ANY kind will fail! So should they stop pursuing their dreams? Who is to say? Is McDonalds a Scam because some will fail?

I had a few failed businesses in the traditional business world too (consulting business, Computer Repair and Sales, Computer Support) It didn't stop me from pursuing the golden goose and failure never will! I do believe the only failure is in not trying!

If you really want to help people, EDUCATE them, STOP SCREAMING AT THE WIND! Starting a Business takes work! It is important to know the facts before you start, of what it will REALLY take to be successful! If you started a Pizza Franchise and didnt advertise you would not stay in business long, nor would you if you didnt know how to make Pizza! Get Educated! Stop Screaming Scam every time you fail. You would serve yourself better to look at why you failed and take corrective action.

So I know that is not All, but it is enough for now! Please Answer, am I a scammer or the scammed? Brainwashed? So wasn't my father for thinking he could have his own medical practice or my uncle for starting several successful businesses ---- Didn't they know that working for someone else is the only Legit way to make a living.. And of course if that is true, then the people who started those business that employ us poor innocent droans are really just scamming us to believe we must keep our place in this world! Who are we to think we may rise to their level and above?

Sincerely,

Anne Ouellet (CactusAnnie)

Re: Have I been Scammed or am I a Scammer?

Quote Originally Posted by CactusAnnie
    Please Answer, am I a scammer or the scammed? Brainwashed? So wasn't my father for thinking he could have his own medical practice or my uncle for starting several successful businesses ---- Didn't they know that working for someone else is the only Legit way to make a living..
    Was your fathers practice an MLM scam that stole money from 100s of gullible idiots? Nobody ever said starting a BUSINESS was bad. Just dont pick a business model that relies on fraud.

Quote Originally Posted by renloyx
    Was your fathers practice an MLM scam that stole money from 100s of gullible idiots? Nobody ever said starting a BUSINESS was bad. Just dont pick a business model that relies on fraud.
    Stole money from 100's, so they are the scammed right? What about those that made money? When did they become the scammers?

You aren't answering the questions

Stole money from 100's, so they are the scammed right? What about those that made money? When did they become the scammers?
    Isnt it obvious? They become scammers when they make money by scamming others.

Ok, so if multiple levels of marketing is what it means to be a scam then answer this;

How many distribution channels are involved in getting a car to market? Or how about McDonalds Hamburger? How many levels are there involved in most businesses? Are they scams?

Ok, so if multiple levels of marketing is what it means to be a scam
    err no. A scam is something that separates gullible idiots from their money.

How many distribution channels are involved in getting a car to market? Or how about McDonalds Hamburger? How many levels are there involved in most businesses? Are they scams?
    Levels have nothing to do with it. Car manufacturers and restaurants dont need more and more new suckers aka distributors/reps/whatever to make money. They make money by selling their products.

err no. A scam is something that separates gullible idiots from their money.

Levels have nothing to do with it. Car manufacturers and restaurants dont need more and more new suckers aka distributors/reps/whatever to make money. They make money by selling their products.
    REALLY! So if there was only ONE Chevy dealer or One Store selling Microsoft Products then those companies would still be as big as they are today?

Wow!

How about McDonalds, if there was only one would the company be as big! Franchises work through duplication and multiple distributors... Most Home based businesses are the same!
    Last edited by CactusAnnie; 06-01-2006 at 12:12 AM. Reason: addition

CactusAnnie,

I'm not here to debate you yet. I found you from another thread and very pleased that you started a new one. I haven't looked into the business that you are speaking of but I do appreciate your refreshing attitude already. Reminding others that pursueing their dreams can be something positive. If you are seeing some good results happening in your life then you might offer good encouragement for others. Seems like most here are only interested in screaming the same Mantra. Scam, Scam and more Scam. Totally negative attitudes, only generate more negative attitudes. For me, it gets old very quickly. Seems like those who complain about scams or tell others to get the standard JOB never did anything worthwhile in their own life. Perhaps, that is the reason for so much bitterness. I've already challenged a few of those types to offer the recipe they used to make their fortunes. I had a gang tell me that the thread was solely to discredit a well known company. I didn't receive an answer from the experts about their personal fortune building. Yet, these are the know it all types, who must be successful... I personally believe that you have to keep on trying until you reach that level of success that you are looking for. I would rather listen to someone who can teach something worth hearing. If this is truely what you stand for then I can certainly appreciate you. Hope you don't mind if I sneak a peak, at your site.

REALLY! So if there was only ONE Chevy dealer or One Store selling Microsoft Products then those companies would still be as big as they are today?

Wow!

How about McDonalds, if there was only one would the company be as big! Franchises work through duplication and multiple distributors... Most Home based businesses are the same!
    Jeez youre slow. These companies have a good product that people want to buy. The sale of the product is the main source of the revenue for the parent company and dealers/restaurants/etc. They dont make all their money by recruiting new distributors who pay $xxxxx for the opportunity.

Quote Originally Posted by adventurous43
    CactusAnnie,

I'm not here to debate you yet. I found you from another thread and very pleased that you started a new one. I haven't looked into the business that you are speaking of but I do appreciate your refreshing attitude already. Reminding others that pursueing their dreams can be something positive. If you are seeing some good results happening in your life then you might offer good encouragement for others. Seems like most here are only interested in screaming the same Mantra. Scam, Scam and more Scam. Totally negative attitudes, only generate more negative attitudes. For me, it gets old very quickly. Seems like those who complain about scams or tell others to get the standard JOB never did anything worthwhile in their own life. Perhaps, that is the reason for so much bitterness. I've already challenged a few of those types to offer the recipe they used to make their fortunes. I had a gang tell me that the thread was solely to discredit a well known company. I didn't receive an answer from the experts about their personal fortune building. Yet, these are the know it all types, who must be successful... I personally believe that you have to keep on trying until you reach that level of success that you are looking for. I would rather listen to someone who can teach something worth hearing. If this is truely what you stand for then I can certainly appreciate you. Hope you don't mind if I sneak a peak, at your site.
    Yeah get to the top no matter how many people you have to rip off on your way up. Right on. Please die in lava. Thanks

Jeez youre slow. These companies have a good product that people want to buy. The sale of the product is the main source of the revenue for the parent company and dealers/restaurants/etc. They dont make all their money by recruiting new distributors who pay $xxxxx for the opportunity.

Hmmmmm, when was the last time you looked into the cost to be a Microsoft reseller or a Chevy distributor! Careful now.. There are fees!

So who determines if a product is good? I am a distributor for a few companies that I believe the product is absolutely above reproach and worth every penny I paid for it! If you disagree with me, show me that you have used the products and why they are unworthy and I will concede!

Anne Ouellet

CactusAnnie,

.... Totally negative attitudes, only generate more negative attitudes. For me, it gets old very quickly.... .
    I personally believe that you have to keep on trying until you reach that level of success that you are looking for. I would rather listen to someone who can teach something worth hearing. If this is truely what you stand for then I can certainly appreciate you.
    Thank you, and yes I feel the same way! It is ok and natural to be skeptical and cautious, but to make blanket statements that all home based businesses are frauds and scams just comes from ignorance and probably some childhood issues....

I also believe that positive comments need to get as much credit as negative! We have all be conditioned to look for reasons why we cannot succeed as opposed to making and living reasons why we can! Sure you may fall, but it is getting back up and continuing forward where real growth occurs!

Nice to have a friendly voice here!

Anne Ouellet

Hmmmmm, when was the last time you looked into the cost to be a Microsoft reseller or a Chevy distributor! Careful now.. There are fees!
    Yes there are always fees. DUH. The point is these fees arent the only source or even a major source of income for the company.

So who determines if a product is good?
    "These companies have a good product that people want to buy."

Thank you, and yes I feel the same way! It is ok and natural to be skeptical and cautious, but to make blanket statements that all home based businesses are frauds and scams just comes from ignorance and probably some childhood issues....
    Nobody on scam.com ever made any "blanket statements about all home based businesses".

Ok Sorry, I wonder who said this then:

You want edumacation? Ok.
    ...... If it sounds too good to be true its a scam. Almost all work at home "opportunities" are scams. If you want to make money get a job or start an honest business.

Edumacation over.

Anne Ouellet

Mr. Renloyx,

Why all the hosility directed at me. I don't have a home business of my own as yet. I have worked the traditional ways for 30 years of my life and I have very little to show for it. I have also failed with my own trucking business. That doesn't mean that I can't apprecaite better attitudes or looking for another way to achieve better in my life. I'm not ripping off anyone so far. Please don't wish me to burn in lava. That's terrible and I wouldn't wish that on you.