+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 12 of 12

  1. #1

    Magnetic pole shifting

    I have been doing some reading on the pole shift and it seems like it is already happening. Where the north and south poles reverse themselves and we lose our magnetic shield for a while. Anyone hear about this?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Location Location!
    Posts
    766

    Re: Magnetic pole shifting

    I think I remember Art Bell / George Noory talking about this on their radio program some time ago.
    "Wag more, bark less."
    .

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    4,778

    Re: Magnetic pole shifting

    I did a little reading on this.

    I am going to post this article by NASA.

    I saw lots of articles on this going back to 2005. Also some on the end of the world because of this and it will happen in 2012.

    Earth's Inconstant Magnetic Field
    12.29.03


    Our planet's magnetic field is in a constant state of change, say researchers who are beginning to understand how it behaves and why.
    Every few years, scientist Larry Newitt of the Geological Survey of Canada goes hunting. He grabs his gloves, parka, a fancy compass, hops on a plane and flies out over the Canadian arctic. Not much stirs among the scattered islands and sea ice, but Newitt's prey is there--always moving, shifting, elusive.
    His quarry is Earth's north magnetic pole.
    At the moment it's located in northern Canada, about 600 km from the nearest town: Resolute Bay, population 300, where a popular T-shirt reads "Resolute Bay isn't the end of the world, but you can see it from here." Newitt stops there for snacks and supplies--and refuge when the weather gets bad. "Which is often," he says.
    Right: The movement of Earth's north magnetic pole across the Canadian arctic, 1831--2001. Credit: Geological Survey of Canada. [More]
    Scientists have long known that the magnetic pole moves. James Ross located the pole for the first time in 1831 after an exhausting arctic journey during which his ship got stuck in the ice for four years. No one returned until the next century. In 1904, Roald Amundsen found the pole again and discovered that it had moved--at least 50 km since the days of Ross.
    The pole kept going during the 20th century, north at an average speed of 10 km per year, lately accelerating "to 40 km per year," says Newitt. At this rate it will exit North America and reach Siberia in a few decades.
    Keeping track of the north magnetic pole is Newitt's job. "We usually go out and check its location once every few years," he says. "We'll have to make more trips now that it is moving so quickly."
    Earth's magnetic field is changing in other ways, too: Compass needles in Africa, for instance, are drifting about 1 degree per decade. And globally the magnetic field has weakened 10% since the 19th century. When this was mentioned by researchers at a recent meeting of the American Geophysical Union, many newspapers carried the story. A typical headline: "Is Earth's magnetic field collapsing?"
    Probably not. As remarkable as these changes sound, "they're mild compared to what Earth's magnetic field has done in the past," says University of California professor Gary Glatzmaier.
    Sometimes the field completely flips. The north and the south poles swap places. Such reversals, recorded in the magnetism of ancient rocks, are unpredictable. They come at irregular intervals averaging about 300,000 years; the last one was 780,000 years ago. Are we overdue for another? No one knows.
    Above: Magnetic stripes around mid-ocean ridges reveal the history of Earth's magnetic field for millions of years. The study of Earth's past magnetism is called paleomagnetism. Image credit: USGS. [More]
    According to Glatzmaier, the ongoing 10% decline doesn't mean that a reversal is imminent. "The field is increasing or decreasing all the time," he says. "We know this from studies of the paleomagnetic record." Earth's present-day magnetic field is, in fact, much stronger than normal. The dipole moment, a measure of the intensity of the magnetic field, is now 8 x 1022 amps x m2. That's twice the million-year average of 4 x 1022 amps x m2.
    To understand what's happening, says Glatzmaier, we have to take a trip ... to the center of the Earth where the magnetic field is produced.
    At the heart of our planet lies a solid iron ball, about as hot as the surface of the sun. Researchers call it "the inner core." It's really a world within a world. The inner core is 70% as wide as the moon. It spins at its own rate, as much as 0.2o of longitude per year faster than the Earth above it, and it has its own ocean: a very deep layer of liquid iron known as "the outer core."

    Right: a schematic diagram of Earth's interior. The outer core is the source of the geomagnetic field. [Larger image]
    Earth's magnetic field comes from this ocean of iron, which is an electrically conducting fluid in constant motion. Sitting atop the hot inner core, the liquid outer core seethes and roils like ***** in a pan on a hot stove. The outer core also has "hurricanes"--whirlpools *****ed by the Coriolis forces of Earth's rotation. These complex motions generate our planet's magnetism through a process called the dynamo effect.
    Using the equations of magnetohydrodynamics, a branch of physics dealing with conducting fluids and magnetic fields, Glatzmaier and colleague Paul Roberts have created a supercomputer model of Earth's interior. Their software heats the inner core, stirs the metallic ocean above it, then calculates the resulting magnetic field. They run their code for hundreds of thousands of simulated years and watch what happens.
    What they see mimics the real Earth: The magnetic field waxes and wanes, poles drift and, occasionally, flip. Change is normal, they've learned. And no wonder. The source of the field, the outer core, is itself seething, swirling, turbulent. "It's chaotic down there," notes Glatzmaier. The changes we detect on our planet's surface are a sign of that inner chaos.
    They've also learned what happens during a magnetic flip. Reversals take a few thousand years to complete, and during that time--contrary to popular belief--the magnetic field does not vanish. "It just gets more complicated," says Glatzmaier. Magnetic lines of force near Earth's surface become twisted and tangled, and magnetic poles pop up in unaccustomed places. A south magnetic pole might emerge over Africa, for instance, or a north pole over Tahiti. Weird. But it's still a planetary magnetic field, and it still protects us from space radiation and solar storms.
    Above: Supercomputer models of Earth's magnetic field. On the left is a normal dipolar magnetic field, typical of the long years between polarity reversals. On the right is the sort of complicated magnetic field Earth has during the upheaval of a reversal. [More]
    And, as a bonus, Tahiti could be a great place to see the Northern Lights. In such a time, Larry Newitt's job would be different. Instead of shivering in Resolute Bay, he could enjoy the warm South Pacific, hopping from island to island, hunting for magnetic poles while auroras danced overhead.
    Sometimes, maybe, a little change can be a good thing.
    More Information
    The Geodynamo -- (Gary Glatzmaier) An overview of Earth's magnetic history and the physics of the geodynamo

    The North Magnetic Pole -- (Geological Survey of Canada) find out where the north magnetic pole is now, and much more.

    Magnetic Field of the Earth -- (Hyperphysics) an explanation of the dynamo effect

    Core Concerns -- (Science News) The hidden reaches of Earth are starting to reveal some of their secrets.

    Earth's North Magnetic Pole -- (APOD) The North Magnetic Pole is currently located in northern Canada.

    Origin of the Earth's Magnetism -- (NASA) a history of ideas concerning Earth's magnetic dynamo


    Feature Author: Dr. Tony Phillips
    Feature Production Editor: Dr. Tony Phillips
    Feature Production Credit: Science@NASA

    http://www.nasa.gov/vision/earth/loo...eticfield.html

  4. #4

    Re: Magnetic pole shifting

    Quote Originally Posted by Tulip View Post
    I did a little reading on this.

    I am going to post this article by NASA.

    I saw lots of articles on this going back to 2005. Also some on the end of the world because of this and it will happen in 2012.

    Earth's Inconstant Magnetic Field
    12.29.03



    Our planet's magnetic field is in a constant state of change, say researchers who are beginning to understand how it behaves and why.
    Every few years, scientist Larry Newitt of the Geological Survey of Canada goes hunting. He grabs his gloves, parka, a fancy compass, hops on a plane and flies out over the Canadian arctic. Not much stirs among the scattered islands and sea ice, but Newitt's prey is there--always moving, shifting, elusive.
    His quarry is Earth's north magnetic pole.
    At the moment it's located in northern Canada, about 600 km from the nearest town: Resolute Bay, population 300, where a popular T-shirt reads "Resolute Bay isn't the end of the world, but you can see it from here." Newitt stops there for snacks and supplies--and refuge when the weather gets bad. "Which is often," he says.
    Right: The movement of Earth's north magnetic pole across the Canadian arctic, 1831--2001. Credit: Geological Survey of Canada. [More]
    Scientists have long known that the magnetic pole moves. James Ross located the pole for the first time in 1831 after an exhausting arctic journey during which his ship got stuck in the ice for four years. No one returned until the next century. In 1904, Roald Amundsen found the pole again and discovered that it had moved--at least 50 km since the days of Ross.
    The pole kept going during the 20th century, north at an average speed of 10 km per year, lately accelerating "to 40 km per year," says Newitt. At this rate it will exit North America and reach Siberia in a few decades.
    Keeping track of the north magnetic pole is Newitt's job. "We usually go out and check its location once every few years," he says. "We'll have to make more trips now that it is moving so quickly."
    Earth's magnetic field is changing in other ways, too: Compass needles in Africa, for instance, are drifting about 1 degree per decade. And globally the magnetic field has weakened 10% since the 19th century. When this was mentioned by researchers at a recent meeting of the American Geophysical Union, many newspapers carried the story. A typical headline: "Is Earth's magnetic field collapsing?"
    Probably not. As remarkable as these changes sound, "they're mild compared to what Earth's magnetic field has done in the past," says University of California professor Gary Glatzmaier.
    Sometimes the field completely flips. The north and the south poles swap places. Such reversals, recorded in the magnetism of ancient rocks, are unpredictable. They come at irregular intervals averaging about 300,000 years; the last one was 780,000 years ago. Are we overdue for another? No one knows.
    Above: Magnetic stripes around mid-ocean ridges reveal the history of Earth's magnetic field for millions of years. The study of Earth's past magnetism is called paleomagnetism. Image credit: USGS. [More]
    According to Glatzmaier, the ongoing 10% decline doesn't mean that a reversal is imminent. "The field is increasing or decreasing all the time," he says. "We know this from studies of the paleomagnetic record." Earth's present-day magnetic field is, in fact, much stronger than normal. The dipole moment, a measure of the intensity of the magnetic field, is now 8 x 1022 amps x m2. That's twice the million-year average of 4 x 1022 amps x m2.
    To understand what's happening, says Glatzmaier, we have to take a trip ... to the center of the Earth where the magnetic field is produced.
    At the heart of our planet lies a solid iron ball, about as hot as the surface of the sun. Researchers call it "the inner core." It's really a world within a world. The inner core is 70% as wide as the moon. It spins at its own rate, as much as 0.2o of longitude per year faster than the Earth above it, and it has its own ocean: a very deep layer of liquid iron known as "the outer core."

    Right: a schematic diagram of Earth's interior. The outer core is the source of the geomagnetic field. [Larger image]
    Earth's magnetic field comes from this ocean of iron, which is an electrically conducting fluid in constant motion. Sitting atop the hot inner core, the liquid outer core seethes and roils like ***** in a pan on a hot stove. The outer core also has "hurricanes"--whirlpools *****ed by the Coriolis forces of Earth's rotation. These complex motions generate our planet's magnetism through a process called the dynamo effect.
    Using the equations of magnetohydrodynamics, a branch of physics dealing with conducting fluids and magnetic fields, Glatzmaier and colleague Paul Roberts have created a supercomputer model of Earth's interior. Their software heats the inner core, stirs the metallic ocean above it, then calculates the resulting magnetic field. They run their code for hundreds of thousands of simulated years and watch what happens.
    What they see mimics the real Earth: The magnetic field waxes and wanes, poles drift and, occasionally, flip. Change is normal, they've learned. And no wonder. The source of the field, the outer core, is itself seething, swirling, turbulent. "It's chaotic down there," notes Glatzmaier. The changes we detect on our planet's surface are a sign of that inner chaos.
    They've also learned what happens during a magnetic flip. Reversals take a few thousand years to complete, and during that time--contrary to popular belief--the magnetic field does not vanish. "It just gets more complicated," says Glatzmaier. Magnetic lines of force near Earth's surface become twisted and tangled, and magnetic poles pop up in unaccustomed places. A south magnetic pole might emerge over Africa, for instance, or a north pole over Tahiti. Weird. But it's still a planetary magnetic field, and it still protects us from space radiation and solar storms.


    Above: Supercomputer models of Earth's magnetic field. On the left is a normal dipolar magnetic field, typical of the long years between polarity reversals. On the right is the sort of complicated magnetic field Earth has during the upheaval of a reversal. [More]
    And, as a bonus, Tahiti could be a great place to see the Northern Lights. In such a time, Larry Newitt's job would be different. Instead of shivering in Resolute Bay, he could enjoy the warm South Pacific, hopping from island to island, hunting for magnetic poles while auroras danced overhead.
    Sometimes, maybe, a little change can be a good thing.
    More Information
    The Geodynamo -- (Gary Glatzmaier) An overview of Earth's magnetic history and the physics of the geodynamo

    The North Magnetic Pole -- (Geological Survey of Canada) find out where the north magnetic pole is now, and much more.

    Magnetic Field of the Earth -- (Hyperphysics) an explanation of the dynamo effect

    Core Concerns -- (Science News) The hidden reaches of Earth are starting to reveal some of their secrets.

    Earth's North Magnetic Pole -- (APOD) The North Magnetic Pole is currently located in northern Canada.

    Origin of the Earth's Magnetism -- (NASA) a history of ideas concerning Earth's magnetic dynamo


    Feature Author: Dr. Tony Phillips
    Feature Production Editor: Dr. Tony Phillips
    Feature Production Credit: Science@NASA

    http://www.nasa.gov/vision/earth/loo...eticfield.html

    Excellent post Tulip and here is one of the most interesting sites I have found on this matter.

    http://www.halexandria.org/dward761.htm

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    4,778

    Re: Magnetic pole shifting

    OT, I plan on us talking about this in a couple of years.

  6. #6

    Re: Magnetic pole shifting

    Quote Originally Posted by Tulip View Post
    OT, I plan on us talking about this in a couple of years.

    Well tulip I cetainly do hope that we are both still around then.

    The thing thhat has me a little worried is that the time line for the reversal and the time line for Yellowstone are not that far apart and It is hoped that the reversal will not set the volcano off. Reading about the reversal makes me want to try and forget that Yellow stone is over 40,000 years over due as it is.

    One or the other could have earth shaking events. But both at the same time, holy crap.

    This is a very interesting video and I have also read about a brown dwarf star being discovered.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTLyli2ctZM
    Last edited by Old Timer; 07-18-2010 at 04:43 PM.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    4,778

    Re: Magnetic pole shifting

    Quote Originally Posted by Old Timer View Post
    Well tulip I cetainly do hope that we are both still around then.

    The thing thhat has me a little worried is that the time line for the reversal and the time line for Yellowstone are not that far apart and It is hoped that the reversal will not set the volcano off. Reading about the reversal makes me want to try and forget that Yellow stone is over 40,000 years over due as it is.

    One or the other could have earth shaking events. But both at the same time, holy crap.

    This is a very interesting video and I have also read about a brown dwarf star being discovered.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTLyli2ctZM
    I'm not going to worry about this. That is like worrying everyday of your life about how you are going to die. But it is something to consider and know someone is saying this is possible.
    If people took this serious where would everyone go? People like you and people living by mountains, volcano's, oceans and such are doomed and need to move. Even then you may not survive.

    Should we all be building some kind of shelter?

    I guess get in good with the Vatican and the Pope. Those Catholics.:angel:

  8. #8

    Re: Magnetic pole shifting

    Quote Originally Posted by Tulip View Post
    I'm not going to worry about this. That is like worrying everyday of your life about how you are going to die. But it is something to consider and know someone is saying this is possible.
    If people took this serious where would everyone go? People like you and people living by mountains, volcano's, oceans and such are doomed and need to move. Even then you may not survive.

    Should we all be building some kind of shelter?

    I guess get in good with the Vatican and the Pope. Those Catholics.:angel:
    I don't worry about it. Whatever happens, happens. I just want to be around to see it happen. If I should live through it, well what a tale to tell. If not, oh well.

  9. #9

    Re: Magnetic pole shifting

    More interesting reading about the possibilities.



    2012 Hype or Hope? End of the world or new era? Get the facts and decide for yourself!




    « Shaman King!
    Toba Supervolcano »

    Mantle Shift : Polar Wander?

    Few people are aware that beneath our feet, albeit a long ways under our feet, is a molten core. Slippage of the outer part of the Earth relative to the inner is an historical process that scientists are sure has happened before. It’s a process called polar wander! Such an event would produced a global redistribution of surface topology, although the planet’s spin axis would have remained fixed. Magnetic pole reversal, mantle shift, polar wander : are you kidding me? Who can figure it all out?

    The crustal plates, which normally float about on top of the mantle at a pace of perhaps centimeters per year could now, and many think has in the past, moved at rates up to a meter per year. Many feel that this is exactly what Edgar Cayce has spoken of and predicted back in 1933. But, who knows what he or Nostradamus meant back then? What are current day scientists saying? Is there any tangible empirical evidence that something is happening right under our feet?
    Is it related to December 21, 2012?
    Scientists analyzing observations of polar wander conclude that between 1900 and 1992, the Earth’s pole of rotation has drifted southward toward Toronto, Ontario. I’ll save you all the mathematical details. Trust me!
    The speed of this drift, or pole shift, approximates 33 ft per century. It is due to “some sort of mass redistribution” within the Earth. Thus, the Earth is currently undergoing a very slow shift in the average location of the north pole of the rotation axis. And this means what: at 33 feet per century?
    A mantle-slip is shorthand for “the slip of the Earth’s crust (lithosphere) and mantle over the liquid core. A pole shift is brought about by differential movement between the Earth’s crust with respect to the deeper layers of our planet. It is this swirling inner molten core whose mass and momentum govern planetary rotation. This type of shift has profound implications for the redistribution of centrifugal forces over Earth’s surface, and for sea-level changes worldwide, new distributions of land and sea areas, and extreme geotectonic events.
    In January 19, 1934 Edgar Cayce is said to have have channeled (getting deeper now) the archangel Halaliel. Now how can I or anyone refute this? “The earth will be broken up in the Western portion of America…and there will be shifting of the poles- so that where there has been those of a frigid or the semitropical will become more tropical, and moss and fern will grow. Sounds a bit like Grandma Chandra here.
    Be it ancient Biblical prophets, centuries old mystics, native American Indiand tribes, or Children of Now, theya re all saying that something BIG is coming. What, when, how? No one knows for sure, but we should be watchful and diligent to fine tune our consciousness that we might know in advance for sure. We can!

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    4,778

    Re: Magnetic pole shifting

    Quote Originally Posted by iamwil View Post
    My understanding is this will occur over a few hundred years.

    There is plenty of geologic proof of this occuring numerous times on this planet.

    I think this was one of the impetus of the GPS, there have been increasingly large areas of the ocean where our ships could not trust their compasses over the past 50 years, they have been mapped and watched for decades by the Navy...

    Nothing but a thing.

    no worries.

    There are only two things to worry about in the world. The things you can change and the things you can't change.

    If you can change them do so, and quit worrying.

    If you can't change them, accept it, and quit worrying.

    Play the hand you are dealt to the best of your abilities and enjoy it emmensely with those you are traveling with.
    Sounds like good advice to me.

    Don't worry, be happy.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    4,778

    Re: Magnetic pole shifting

    Quote Originally Posted by Old Timer View Post
    More interesting reading about the possibilities.



    2012 Hype or Hope? End of the world or new era? Get the facts and decide for yourself!




    « Shaman King!
    Toba Supervolcano »

    Mantle Shift : Polar Wander?

    Few people are aware that beneath our feet, albeit a long ways under our feet, is a molten core. Slippage of the outer part of the Earth relative to the inner is an historical process that scientists are sure has happened before. It’s a process called polar wander! Such an event would produced a global redistribution of surface topology, although the planet’s spin axis would have remained fixed. Magnetic pole reversal, mantle shift, polar wander : are you kidding me? Who can figure it all out?

    The crustal plates, which normally float about on top of the mantle at a pace of perhaps centimeters per year could now, and many think has in the past, moved at rates up to a meter per year. Many feel that this is exactly what Edgar Cayce has spoken of and predicted back in 1933. But, who knows what he or Nostradamus meant back then? What are current day scientists saying? Is there any tangible empirical evidence that something is happening right under our feet?
    Is it related to December 21, 2012?
    Scientists analyzing observations of polar wander conclude that between 1900 and 1992, the Earth’s pole of rotation has drifted southward toward Toronto, Ontario. I’ll save you all the mathematical details. Trust me!
    The speed of this drift, or pole shift, approximates 33 ft per century. It is due to “some sort of mass redistribution” within the Earth. Thus, the Earth is currently undergoing a very slow shift in the average location of the north pole of the rotation axis. And this means what: at 33 feet per century?
    A mantle-slip is shorthand for “the slip of the Earth’s crust (lithosphere) and mantle over the liquid core. A pole shift is brought about by differential movement between the Earth’s crust with respect to the deeper layers of our planet. It is this swirling inner molten core whose mass and momentum govern planetary rotation. This type of shift has profound implications for the redistribution of centrifugal forces over Earth’s surface, and for sea-level changes worldwide, new distributions of land and sea areas, and extreme geotectonic events.
    In January 19, 1934 Edgar Cayce is said to have have channeled (getting deeper now) the archangel Halaliel. Now how can I or anyone refute this? “The earth will be broken up in the Western portion of America…and there will be shifting of the poles- so that where there has been those of a frigid or the semitropical will become more tropical, and moss and fern will grow. Sounds a bit like Grandma Chandra here.
    Be it ancient Biblical prophets, centuries old mystics, native American Indiand tribes, or Children of Now, theya re all saying that something BIG is coming. What, when, how? No one knows for sure, but we should be watchful and diligent to fine tune our consciousness that we might know in advance for sure. We can!
    OT I am into some changes for all of us.

    I want more good than bad though.

  12. #12

    Re: Magnetic pole shifting

    Quote Originally Posted by Tulip View Post
    OT I am into some changes for all of us.

    I want more good than bad though.
    Don't we all. But what we want and what we get are usually two very different things.

Similar Threads

  1. Magnetic power generator
    By phillger51 in forum Internet Scams
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 10-29-2013, 01:38 PM
  2. ORIELLY shifting to the LEFT!
    By lexx in forum Political Scams
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-13-2013, 02:55 PM
  3. Magnetic pole shift
    By Old Timer in forum Science Scams
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 02-09-2011, 09:33 AM
  4. Anyone read Magnetic Sponsoring?
    By Smithc81 in forum MLM Scams
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-17-2008, 10:51 AM
  5. Magnetic Sponsoring?
    By Smithc81 in forum Work at Home Scams
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-30-2008, 04:54 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may edit your posts
  •