+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Ion engines

Ion engines

Anybody ever hear about this engine

Ion Engines

Ion Engines are the most exciting new rocket propulsion system since the Chinese invented the rocket about a thousand years ago.
    Most rocket engines use chemical reactions for *****. They combine various gases and liquids to form chemical explosions which push the rocket through space. Chemical rocket engines tend to be *****ful but have a short lifetime. Ion Engines use electric fields instead of chemical reactions. Ion Engines tend to be much less *****ful, but they are so efficient, they can last for years before running out of fuel.

Re: Ion engines

I think some of the recent deep space probes we've launched were driven by ion engines.
    Who's running this popcorn stand anyway? :zx11pissed:

sojustask is offline The Late, Great Lady Mod - Retired User Rank

Here's a good site about them.

http://dawn.jpl.nasa.gov/mission/ion...ive/index.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ion_thruster

And here's the latest I could find on them. Very interesting.

http://www.newscientist.com/article/...s-to-mars.html

Lady Mod

Yup, one step closer to warp drive!!

Cheers, Pokey

I believe they've been around awhile, in concept & name anyway.

In the 3 Original 'Star Wars' movies, from 1977-1982(?), The fighters that Darth Vader's forces used were called T.I.E. fighters.
    T.I.E. stood for "Twin Ion Engine", and I seem to remember that George Lucas actually talking about the term.

Thanks, interesting reading L/M. What I can't help but wonder is the fact that starting with the original Star Trek show, a lot of things there are now becoming a reality. I also can't help but wonder just how long it will take, given our present rate of technology growth for us to actually say one day, " Let's see what's out there " and then take off on the greatest adventure of all times for real. Space the final frontier.

I know that Einsteins theory of realitivity and the speed of light are rules to go by.

And I also believe that rules were made to be broken.

sojustask is offline The Late, Great Lady Mod - Retired User Rank

Quote Originally Posted by Old Timer View Post
    Thanks, interesting reading L/M. What I can't help but wonder is the fact that starting with the original Star Trek show, a lot of things there are now becoming a reality. I also can't help but wonder just how long it will take, given our present rate of technology growth for us to actually say one day, " Let's see what's out there " and then take off on the greatest adventure of all times for real. Space the final frontier.

I know that Einsteins theory of realitivity and the speed of light are rules to go by.

And I also believe that rules were made to be broken.
    Fiction becomes reality? We are light years away still but if we don't blow ourselves up or destroy the planet we must live on, we might achieve the final frontier.

Not in my lifetime, unfortunately.

Lady Mod

Quote Originally Posted by sojustask View Post
    Fiction becomes reality? We are light years away still but if we don't blow ourselves up or destroy the planet we must live on, we might achieve the final frontier.

Not in my lifetime, unfortunately.

Lady Mod

Maybe not as far in the future as you might think. Just recently I read a report that scientist have actually been able to teleport data to a point ten miles away and it came out as it should be. Yes we are still light years away from this right now 9 using it on humans ) but no one can say just what will be discovered tomorrow, and working the next week.

Quote Originally Posted by iamwil View Post
    Have you ever compared their communicator to our last generation of flip phones?

You look at cell phones over the years..and how they eventually naturally graduated to being uncanningly similar to that little star trek device...

beam me up scottie
    Cardfull, they just might hear you and beam ya up. And they just might be Klingons instead of Capt. Kirk's bunch

And the best invention that could ever be invented is the replicator followed by the holadeck

Quote Originally Posted by iamwil View Post

beam me up scottie
    Interestingly enough, that phrase was never spoken in a Star Trek episode.
    Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

Quote Originally Posted by Joecool44 View Post
    What am I hiding? My true identity and I've been quite successful at it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Joecool44 View Post
    I'm not hiding my identity.

Quote Originally Posted by jebaroo View Post
    Interestingly enough, that phrase was never spoken in a Star Trek episode.
    And entering the field now is teleportation. First the reality. From wikipedia:

Teleportation is the transfer of matter or ****** from one point to another, at speeds faster than the speed of light. Currently, scientists have successfully transported only the quantum information (see quantum teleportation) of atoms and photons, but over distances of at least 600 metres (1,969 ft).[1]
    The teleportation of humans, animals, inanimate objects, etc. has been depicted in many works of science fiction, but currently the teleportation of living or inanimate objects is considered to be beyond the capabilities of modern science.
    The teleportation or quantum entanglement of photons or subatomic particles is also a current field of research for a new generation of ultra high speed quantum computers.

And now on the fiction side.

http://www.examiner.com/examiner/x-2...raterrestrials

You be the judge. Will Star Trek ever really happen?