+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Re: Lcd Tv Scam (from Romania)

Also you need to be a complete jerk to buy a 46" LCD TV online from a foreign eBay seller! No matter how good the offer is.

Employment Auction Scam

Hello,

I was doing some research about scams considering I believe that I was recently a victim of one. I happened to come across this site and I noticed that there are a lot of people here that seem to know quite a bit about scams online so I figured that I would share my story and maybe someone could give their thoughts and/or opinions on the matter.

I've been doing research for almost a month now and I believe that what happened to me is a new scam. I could not find anything like it anywhere, although it was similar to a drop shipping scam I heard about. Read below and tell me what you think.

Back in early November I received and e-mail from a company named Rexton International Incorporated. They told me that they received my resume off a site that I commonly have been using to seek employment (I've been without a job for a while). They explained that their company dealt with mediating transactions over Ebay between many "clients" and I would be sent money from these "clients" and I would then deduct my "pay check" and send the rest of the money to the company. I questioned hard and for several weeks everything that I could possibly think of. I was given satisfactory answers (to me they were satisfactory) and agreed to "work" for this company. I had been out of a job for a long time and I needed some extra income while I was in the hunt for a new job. This work seemed legitimate. They had a professional website, and they had a phone number. I was able to reach my "boss" through e-mail and phone. He did not have trouble speaking English or typing it. He did not have the characteristics of a guy from Nigeria with horrible typing trying to get me to send him over payments.

Anyway, it took almost a month for me to get my first "assignment". I was told that I would handle a few preliminary assignments to prove that I was trustworthy and could deal with transactions hastily. After I proved to the company that I was reliable and trustworthy they would have me sign an employment contract and I could work full time and make some money for myself. Nothing outrageous, but like $2000 a month if I worked really hard. I was convinced that I had found the perfect job. Please understand that I was not familiar with scams or thought that I'd ever be a victim of one. Besides, I originally thought that scams dealt with stealing your identity and who would want to steal mine? My credit is so bad stores won't take my cash. If someone stole my identity, they wouldn't be able to get a credit card with a 50 dollar limit on it. LOL.....anyway

Almost two months go by and I start sending complaining e-mails that I despiratly need to get to work. My rent was due and so were other bills. I continued interviewing for other jobs the entire time this was going on and no one called me for an interview. Conveniently, after I complained my first "assignment" was ready. Right after New Years I was wired $8,500. I didn't know what it was for and when I asked I was told it was for people who bought things on Ebay. I didn't know what they bought, if it was 1 person or 10 that bought different things. I was instructed to take the money out of my bank account, deduct my "commission" and send the money Wester Union (first time I've ever used Western Union in my life, didn't know that scammers use it) to my "boss" at the company. I took my commission and paid my already late rent and sent the money as instructed. I mean this company did everything to make me feel as if I was working legit. They even had me fax them receipts of the western union transaction for what they said was for their records. Not 2 days after I sent the money I receive a phone call from the guy who sent it to me demanding his money back and that he called the FBI.

I had no idea who this guy was and I had to go to the bank to get his name and address so that I could call information to get his phone number. Also, the minute that I realize this whole thing was a scam I called the FBI immediately myself and registered a complaint with the ic3.gov website. Over the next week I kept in contact with the guy who wired me the money. He told me that he bid on a Harley Davidson motorcycle. A 2003 Road King to be exact. We seemingly worked together exchanging information that we found online. He told me repeatedly that the FBI and local authorities knew what was going on like it was supposed to scare me. It was almost like he forgot that I told him that I contacted them myself as well. Or at least maybe he thought I was lying. He began to make strange requests like offering me $500 if I could get his money back. Then things got really strange when he asked me to contact the scam company and get them to set me up with another transaction. He wanted me to do this because he wanted them to wire me more money and then wire his $8500 back to him. This is when I began to think that he was in on the scam. I told him that I would not do that cause it would just be ripping someone else off. He stated that he didn't care he just wanted his money back.

That was the last time we talked over the phone. I received an e-mail from this guy about 3 weeks ago. Suddenly he changed his tune and claimed that he was pressing charges on me and I was going to go to jail for 8 - 10 years for money laundering. This e-mail was written in the worst grammar that I believe I've ever seen. Also, he couldn't furnish me with any evidence that the auction he won even existed. He claimed that ebay "erased" it already. I never even knew what money laundering was so I looked it up. It says in the definition that the whole purpose is for the money to get back to its source and this guy was the source. How could I know if he didn't have his money back already and was just trying to get me to send him $8500 by scaring me with authority threats. I've already contacted and called everyone that I could immediately. I sent him a final e-mail telling him to not contact me anymore and that if the authorities were involved I would give them every piece of information that I possibly could. I haven't heard a word from anyone yet. Not police, not him, not anyone.

Maybe I'm wrong and this is a typical scam, I just couldn't find anything like it. Plus I figure that the FBI will get to my complaint and contact me if they feel its necessary. After the things that I've read about I think the FBI would know what this is all about and that it might have happened to a bunch of people at once. I don't know. Well, what do you think.

P.S. There might be a few details that I forgot about so feel free to ask questions. It was quite an involved thing to get caught in and I've told so many police and others about it I start leaving things out about certain things. Think the buyer and seller were in on it and I was targeted to be ripped off? Just want your opinions on the matter. I don't want to get in trouble because I was tricked. I had nothing to do with the auction and most of all I want to warn everybody about these work from home scams. I'm so paranoid now about working online that I block everything that has anything to do with working from home. I don't care if the president of ebay calls me himself and guarantees its legit I am never doing it again.

CirtexHosting

http://www.strongescrow.com/
    is an obvious fraud. cirtex says, have to give the criminal customer 48 hours to respond to the complaint. either this webhost is crooked or ignorant of internet fraud problem. either way, i would avoid doing any business with them.

Re: CirtexHosting

Hi,

Just stumbled across this post on Google, just to make an update.

The offending user/customer has long been removed and we've taken action to close the account after receiving the report.

Thank you
    http://www.cirtexhosting.com

however, the criminal has not lost a minute of scamming time because you will not verify your new customers identity in any way. the same criminal can have ten more scam sites on your server right now and you do not know and you do not care. i open new financial accounts online from time to time and there is always a procedure to determine if i am who i say i am. anybody can open a new escrow service using your servers or servers from any other webhost with no verification. clean up or close up ! we the people, do not have to tolerate you making a business of helping criminals steal from the rest of us.

Hi

We did forward ESCROW the contact info of the registrant after they contacted us.

Thanks for your words.

its always funny how webhosts are so bold to me in private emails -
    like " we do whatever we want and you can't do a thing about it "
    then, months later they find, i reported the problem in public and their reputation is damaged. well, duhhhhhh.

Hello,

The issue was with an fraud escrow website, we received no prior reports for this specific customer until you contacted us as an individual and we contacted customer and she explained to us nothing is illegal and removed escrow logos on the site.

After more investigation we gladly suspended it within a very reasonable time frame. I believe you were still not satisfied and asked me to give you customer's Personal Information for domain name and so on, which we can not do unless asked by authorities such as ESCROW themselves.

We were then contacted by Escrow and they just asked us to take down site and that was done already by the time they had contacted us. All in all we have done our part and I thank you for helping us in the process.

Take care

(PS: No we did not check this to repair our "damaged" reputation that you have done, instead we just wanted to clear up any confusion your thread caused)

The Ebay escrow fraud problem was well exposed in the media by 2002 - 2003.
    you are claiming to be professional in this business and i am not.
    i am not even mildly interested.

so why is it that i could see it was fraud at a glance and you could not ?
    it was like getting a government check drawn with crayons.

i repeat, to those of you looking for webhosting, or any other service, hearing the owners of the business are clueless, is not a recommendation.

XO.com is a major offender right now but it would be hard to find a webhost that is not allowing false accounts to be opened. these false accounts could be in my name or yours, because nothing is checked. i am not trying to collect this information. it is entirely useless. anybody can put up a webform and say, give us your personal info and we will send you a prize. some people will fill out the form. then webhosts will allow that info to be used to open an account without any verification. a romanian teen-ager can sit in internet cafe and pretend to be Thelma-Lou in Kansas, and own major worldwide shipping company, and nobody will ask any questions.

Yes, of course, the victims are clueless too. they will send western union money to europe because the fake escrow webpage looks pretty. but they do not claim to be expert in this hosting business. you do make this claim.

its important to remember that any business has to serve its customers.
    in the case of webhosting, the scam artist, criminal, is the customer and the victim is not.

Just got out of a scam thanks to you!!!

Hi, I'm a newbie but I had to register and tell you how much this forum has helped me today.

I was watching a few iPods on eBay, made some biddings, lost all, and contacted one of the sellers to let me know when he'd have an 80 GB player available.

Today I got contacted by three sellers and all offered me, via e-mail, the great opportunity of getting to know beforehand that they had an iPod for me. One guy (and that's the one that caught my attention) had two iPods for 250 dollars so I thought how great it would be to get one for my husband too. Done deal, he sent me the invoice.

Fishy stuff:
    - Western Union payment
    - "I have no paypal because I changed banks"
    - I asked for his international banking number and he told me Western Union was best (it's really not if you have the opportunity to do it all online, IMO)
    - When I bluffed and said I had another buyer he promptly asked what was my price so I was a bit concerned about customs and stolen goods when receiving the package
    - But, since all this still wasn't enough to make me suspicious, what made my alarm go off was that on the invoice none of the links to eBay worked!

Google "scam western union ebay", you guys pop up, say bye bye to scammer, say thank you guys.

Kisses to all
    Clara

Re: Just got out of a scam thanks to you!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Lagostim
    Hi, I'm a newbie but I had to register and tell you how much this forum has helped me today.

I was watching a few iPods on eBay, made some biddings, lost all, and contacted one of the sellers to let me know when he'd have an 80 GB player available.

Today I got contacted by three sellers and all offered me, via e-mail, the great opportunity of getting to know beforehand that they had an iPod for me. One guy (and that's the one that caught my attention) had two iPods for 250 dollars so I thought how great it would be to get one for my husband too. Done deal, he sent me the invoice.

Fishy stuff:
    - Western Union payment
    - "I have no paypal because I changed banks"
    - I asked for his international banking number and he told me Western Union was best (it's really not if you have the opportunity to do it all online, IMO)
    - When I bluffed and said I had another buyer he promptly asked what was my price so I was a bit concerned about customs and stolen goods when receiving the package
    - But, since all this still wasn't enough to make me suspicious, what made my alarm go off was that on the invoice none of the links to eBay worked!

Google "scam western union ebay", you guys pop up, say bye bye to scammer, say thank you guys.

Kisses to all
    Clara
    PayPal offers NO PROTECTION outside of an eBay auction so don't rely on the fact that you can pay via PayPal as protection.

ANYONE who wants you to pay them via Western Union is a scam artist and they will rip you off, guaranteed. Good job being proactive and doing a little checking.

Re: Laptop scammer Lutz Meyerding, Dominican Repub

He cheated a girl-friend for 60.000 Euros.
    He lives in cabanas Villas Mar
    At the right side from Aqua Tower in Juan Dolio in Dominican Republic.
    Sometimes he is in El Cacigue Bar.

Re: postaroo

Hey. I hope you get this message. It's been over a year, so most likely you won't. I'm glad you researched the transaction before you went through with it. Those scams are everywhere. Postaroo is not shutdown. I'm pretty sure it has to do with too many people getting scammed. I actually get daily e-mails from people wanting me to transfer money from another country into an American account and keep 10% for my time and generosity. Of course the money order they would send would be fraudulent. I'm very glad you caught onto the scam. A lot of people don't. I had a friend get a random check in the mail, which he was thinking of cashing. Good thing he told me about getting the check so I could tell him not to cash it and explain to him what it really was. Anyhow, if you come across anything else that seems fishy but you don't really know whether or not it's fraudulent, let me know and I'll look more into it for you. My e-mail is [email protected].

PS It's ironic that there are scams being advertised on this site, while we're talking about this, lol.

Heath:whip:
    Last edited by mrcoach5; 12-24-2007 at 02:22 PM. Reason: need addition

Facebook Marketplace Scam

I sold "Robyne Steller" a book through Facebook Marketplace. The final selling price was $80 and they "accidentally" sent me a check for $800. Without thinking, I wired them the excess funds after depositing the check. The check bounced and I'm out $800 and the book.

Yup, I'm an idiot. But I'm doing everything I can to prevent this from happening to anyone else.

Re: Facebook Marketplace Scam

Wow that sucks - well you should be able to show that they owe you the 720 - hire a lawyer.

Lord_jag is offline I am God because I say I am. Prove me wrong.

Re: Facebook Marketplace Scam

Sorry, but that is a *VERY* old scam. Overpayment and returning funds.. The only thing missing is the "returning it by western-union or money transfer" part

Sorry you got taken. Chances are you are SOL now :(
    A real, honest, falsifiable claim made b.y Seer of dreams:(2011)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cnance View Post
    I believe there will be a nuclear war in October of this year.
    Oh Cnance.... Full of shit as always.