+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Re: Crime tempers joy ahead of World Cup kick-off

Quote Originally Posted by pwrone View Post
    Oh, THAT is ed up!.
    You think that is messed up, do you..?

Try this on.

I am from Edinburgh, so not so appicable here, but Glasgow once had a lot of Irish immigration, Catholics, from the south.

Historically, there has always been friction between their descedants, and the Protestant/unionist population, of the West.

This is played out when the two city teams, Rangers and Celtic, play a football game.

One lot will be bedecked in green, white, and gold, play 'folk songs' like the fields of Athenry, over the tannoy, and other Irish rebel tunes, while the fans, well they like to sing pro IRA songs, or songs dedicated to IRA killers.

On the other side, you will have 25,000 Rangers fans, speaking of being up to their kness in fenian blood, singing Rule Brittania, and flying the flags of Northern Ireland, the Red Hand Of Ulster, and so on.

It is quasi politcal.

Here is the twist. No matter that they are born in Scotland, when there is international football, not many support the national side. Many of the Celtic fans will lend their allegiance to Eire, while many Rangers fans will either lend their allegiance to either Northern Ireland, or England!
    Every Saint has a past, every sinner has a future..

Quote Originally Posted by thistle View Post
    In Tehran? No, they wouldnt win, lol.

I'm not suggesting Tehran is a good choice, I was just making the point Tehran is actually quite safe for tourists, apparently.

Anyway, fairness.... did I mention "fair"? Maybe I did. My point about Africa getting to host the cup, and gain the benefits, is it was overdue. And SA is despite its problems well used to hosting big events. And if you go there, as for other events, you prepare and know where to go, where not to go, follow the advice etc. Same as other places with problems.
    Well, as I've said, and esp since there appears great safety for tourists, why shouldn't, to be fair, the ME be considered, to host the event?

Quote Originally Posted by Yeah Well Fine Then View Post
    Well, as I've said, and esp since there appears great safety for tourists, why shouldn't, to be fair, the ME be considered, to host the event?
    Well, any country that has either political instability or sanctions against it isnt going to win, are they?

S Africa is 'unstable', surely?

Anyway. I see England ed up!

LOL.