+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Crime tempers joy ahead of World Cup kick-off

I did harbour some doubts, I have to say..

South African excitement climbed to a crescendo on Thursday on the eve of the continent's first World Cup but there were reminders of problems that could spoil their dreams of changing Africa's image forever.

Three Greek players had money stolen from their hotel and Chinese journalists were robbed on Thursday, following Wednesday's incident when armed men robbed Spanish and Portuguese journalists at a lodge northwest of Johannesburg.

The incidents were comparatively minor but coming so early were bad news for World Cup organisers who have spent years assuring fans and journalists alike that 41,000 specially deployed police will keep the tournament safe.

Meanwhile, two Britons were killed when a bus overturned in the northeast of country. Although the tourists in the bus did not appear to be World Cup fans, it was a reminder of another problem that has caused concern, South Africa's notoriously dangerous roads and transport problems.

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/22/20100610...d-ca02f96.html
    Every Saint has a past, every sinner has a future..

Re: Crime tempers joy ahead of World Cup kick-off

In retrospect, I am sure that they are happy that they or their children were not raped and killed in the rape, child-rape, and murder capital of the world.

At least, not yet...

There is not a truth existing which I fear
    or would wish unknown to the whole world."
    --Thomas Jefferson

All I can say to this thread is ... oh for s sake.

IF the world cup had been taking place in US, someone would have been mugged by now. If London, same. Etc.

OK, so the first incident was an armed robbery this time, in a country with more serious crime problems than most. Well, shit happens. Gloating about it and giving pwangry a further platform to make angry hateful noises just isnt worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by thistle View Post
    All I can say to this thread is ... oh for s sake.

IF the world cup had been taking place in US, someone would have been mugged by now..
    Thistle, come on mate, you are not really comparing the infrastructure of the US to that of S Africa, are you? I'll bet the murder and armed robbery rate, over there, far exceeds that which exists in the US or the UK, per head of population.

The World Cup DID take place in the US, a number of years ago.

Did this happen;

'armed men robbed Spanish and Portuguese journalists at a lodge northwest of Johannesburg'.

Btw - Who is your tip? Mine is Argentina.

Quote Originally Posted by Yeah Well Fine Then View Post
    Thistle, come on mate, you are not really comparing the infrastructure of the US to that of S Africa, are you? I'll bet the murder and armed robbery rate, over there, far exceeds that which exists in the US or the UK, per head of population.

Did this happen;

'armed men robbed Spanish and Portuguese journalists at a lodge northwest of Johannesburg'.

No, I'm saying SA does have more crime (and social) problems than other countries who have hosted the WC. But it was absolutely right and only fair that it went to Africa, it was overdue, and lots of other big sporting events take place in SA with no probems.

The idea that because its the WC, it shouldnt go to SA, thats nonsense, and to jump on the first problem that occurs as proof it was a bad idea, thats nonsense. Incidentally, the football fans themselves will probably cause more violence than South Africans, lol.

Argentina or Spain, I think.

No, I'm saying SA does have more crime (and social) problems than other countries who have hosted the WC. But it was absolutely right and only fair that it went to Africa, it was overdue, and lots of other big sporting events take place in SA with no probems.

The idea that because its the WC, it shouldnt go to SA, thats nonsense, and to jump on the first problem that occurs as proof it was a bad idea, thats nonsense. Incidentally, the football fans themselves will probably cause more violence than South Africans, lol.

Argentina or Spain, I think.
    It doesn't just have more crime, it has a crime rate that is way above and over ANYTHING ever seen, at any time, in the entire history of either the US or the UK.

Are you suggesting that it was 'fair' to have it there, perhaps as a sort of 'reward' for there not being apartheid there, any longer, and, of course, as a means of boosting their economy?

If so, then let me ask you this? When it comes to selecting the host nation, surely 'fairness' doesn't come into it, what matters, imho, is that the stadia are the best, that there are enough hotels to absorb the influx, and, on top of all that, that it was a safe nation, safe for the teams, and safe for the fans.

Now, it would be stretching it to say that modern day S Africa is indeed the safest place to host an event, of this size. Indeed, it is one of the least safe. Secondly, the WC is not there to be given to nations as a treat for having gotten rid of a immoral political system, is it? If Iran gave up their idea of wanting a nuke, should we play the next WC in Theran, despite the obvious security risks..?

I am quite sure the event WILL boost the S African economy, not to mention the black market, however, once more, the WC is not handed out like a food coupon, so other than this perception of 'fairness', I see no other valid reasons to have given it to them.

Yeah, Spain could nip in there, as well.

England?

Nothing against the English, but it would be hell if they were to win it, right?

It doesn't just have more crime, it has a crime rate that is way above and over ANYTHING ever seen, at any time, in the entire history of either the US or the UK.

Are you suggesting that it was 'fair' to have it there, perhaps as a sort of 'reward' for there not being apartheid there, any longer, and, of course, as a means of boosting their economy?

If so, then let me ask you this? When it comes to selecting the host nation, surely 'fairness' doesn't come into it, what matters, imho, is that the stadia are the best, that there are enough hotels to absorb the influx, and, on top of all that, that it was a safe nation, safe for the teams, and safe for the fans.

Now, it would be stretching it to say that modern day S Africa is indeed the safest place to host an event, of this size. Indeed, it is one of the least safe. Secondly, the WC is not there to be given to nations as a treat for having gotten rid of a immoral political system, is it? If Iran gave up their idea of wanting a nuke, should we play the next WC in Theran, despite the obvious security risks..?

I am quite sure the event WILL boost the S African economy, not to mention the black market, however, once more, the WC is not handed out like a food coupon, so other than this perception of 'fairness', I see no other valid reasons to have given it to them.

England?

Nothing against the English, but it would be hell if they were to win it, right?
    No, no, no. The reason its "fair" that an African country gets to host the world cup is simple - it was overdue. The WC brings massive benefits to the city and country who host it, thats why all the major cities bid for it. Africa hadnt had that before, despite football being massive there. It was overdue. Nothing to do with rewarding them for changing their system. Where are you getting this stuff from?

Look at the list of major sporting and other events held in SA in the last decade or so. And then try and tell me that, because it isnt as safe as the safest place in the world, the WC should be kept from them?

England?

The first problem with having the Cup in a place like Iran would be that they would probably frown on providing the required several million condoms...LOL

There would, however, be no street-crime against attendees.

The only risk would be of summary torture and execution by the state itself

So....MUCH safer than S.A.!

S.A. is a teeming shithole of rape and murder and child-rape, far worse than any other place in the history of the world (well, except for the rest of the continent, which can at least blame 'war' for it...!).

This event is supposedly the biggest gambling proposition in U.K. history.

Do you really bet on it, and if so--do the odds allow for 'spread' of goals in a match? Do you have teasers and parlays?

Last edited by pwrone; 06-11-2010 at 06:24 AM.
    --Thomas Jefferson

England?

I simply dont get what you are saying. The point is the WC goes to various countries, it should rotate around like the olympics or commonwealth games, going to places which can host a good tournament, could benefit from it, and boost the sport. Whats wrong with that?

No doubt it will be in Europe again soon, then South America, maybe North America, then Asia, then Africa again. Brilliant. Wheres the negative? Why are you against Africa holding such an event?

No, no, no. The reason its "fair" that an African country gets to host the world cup is simple - it was overdue. The WC brings massive benefits to the city and country who host it, thats why all the major cities bid for it. Africa hadnt had that before, despite football being massive there. It was overdue. Nothing to do with rewarding them for changing their system. Where are you getting this stuff from?

Look at the list of major sporting and other events held in SA in the last decade or so. And then try and tell me that, because it isnt as safe as the safest place in the world, the WC should be kept from them?
    Ah, okay, the reason you think it 'fair', is that you prefer it be done on a sort of rotation basis, Europe gets to host it, the Americas gets to host it, and so on, up to, and including Africa, right?

Noble.

But does this system transcend safety concerns?

In other words, if one part of the world is SIGNIFICANTLY more dangerous than another, do we pay no heed to that, and award the WC to them, regardless?

I simply dont get what you are saying.
    Huh?

When I wrote this;

'Yeah, Spain could nip in there, as well.

England?

Nothing against the English, but it would be hell if they were to win it, right? '

Um, I was talking about the actual outcome, in the games.

Huh?

When I wrote this;

'Yeah, Spain could nip in there, as well.

England?

Nothing against the English, but it would be hell if they were to win it, right? '

Um, I was talking about the actual outcome, in the games.
    Sorry. Whew, I was confused there...
    I dont think England will win it, not convinced they have quite enough, but I'll probably support them.

Ah, okay, the reason you think it 'fair', is that you prefer it be done on a sort of rotation basis, Europe gets to host it, the Americas gets to host it, and so on, up to, and including Africa, right?

Noble.

But does this system transcend safety concerns?

In other words, if one part of the world is SIGNIFICANTLY more dangerous than another, do we pay no heed to that, and award the WC to them, regardless?
    I think it's a bit early in the games to conclude that this was a poor decision. A few people getting mugged doesn't equate that it's no less safe than NYC.

I can understand safety concerns, that being said according to my aunt (who lives in Johannseburg) while there's been quite a bit of partying the city is actually safer right now than she's seen it in awhile.

I say give them a chance. It's a bit quick to condemn them when the games have just started and there's been no serious crimes that have taken place (at least none that could've happened elsewhere like in the US).

Did this happen;

Where was that little olympic thingy in '72 with all the Israeli's getting themselves killed off. Was that in one of those darky countries too?

Sorry. Whew, I was confused there...
    I dont think England will win it, not convinced they have quite enough, but I'll probably support them.

Just curious...who else would you support instead of them?

and WTF?

--Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by pwrone View Post
    Just curious...who else would you support instead of them?

and WTF?
    Put simply, I'm not English. We have our own rival team, Scotland. Who 'didnae qualify', sadly.

You see, in football, there is no British team, and no UK team. Scotland and England are rivals in football, albeit we're shite and theyre quite good.

But being my nearest neighbour, I will be supporting them. The only time I might not is if they played another country I have a particular affinity for, eg I have more Australian and New Zealand family than Scottish now, and no English family. So Oz vs England? Tough one for me, that.

But England vs USA? England, of course. ;)

Does that answer your question?