+ Reply to Thread

I need your imagination.

Well, I don't really NEED it, but this is something that I have been wondering for some time.

The tropical pitcher plants (Nepenthes) and the Venus Flytrap (Dionaea) are both descendants of Sundews (Drosera), or at least some plant very similar to Sundews. I am a firm believer in Evolution but I'm having a very hard time imagining how something like this

Could have eventually become this

AND this

As in... I cannot possibly imagine what an intermediate form between these plants would be. Do you guys have any ideas?

Re: I need your imagination.

there doesn't need to be an intermediate. in most cases, an organism that suffers some massive genetic change will fail to survive and/or fail to reproduce. once in a million, or once in a billion, that changed organism will be sucessful.

When I was a kid, my class went to a park in LaPorte county,Indiana, where the ranger/guide told us there was a plant similar to venus fly trap, that the park was the only place on earthit was known to exist.

Sounded like b.s. to me, but heard that on a local tv station a few years ago too.

Maybe google it? I don't even know what to use as a search term.

Quote Originally Posted by brywilson2 View Post
    When I was a kid, my class went to a park in LaPorte county,Indiana, where the ranger/guide told us there was a plant similar to venus fly trap, that the park was the only place on earthit was known to exist.

Sounded like b.s. to me, but heard that on a local tv station a few years ago too.

Maybe google it? I don't even know what to use as a search term.
    I only spent a few minutes on it but it seems like that area has round-leaf sundews and purple pitcher plants. Both are widespread though.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Crab of PAIN!!! View Post
    Well, I don't really NEED it, but this is something that I have been wondering for some time.

The tropical pitcher plants (Nepenthes) and the Venus Flytrap (Dionaea) are both descendants of Sundews (Drosera), or at least some plant very similar to Sundews.

As in... I cannot possibly imagine what an intermediate form between these plants would be. Do you guys have any ideas?
    Just looking up wikipedia for stuff on carnivorous plants gives some ideas:

Flypaper traps include the various true flypapers and the snap traps of Aldrovanda and Dionaea. The production of sticky mucilage is found in many non-carnivorous genera, and the passive glue traps in Byblis and Drosophyllum could easily have evolved.

The active glue traps use rapid plant movements to trap their prey. Rapid plant movement can result from actual growth, or from rapid changes in cell turgor, which allow cells to expand or contract by quickly altering their w-a-t-e-r content. Slow-moving flypapers like Pinguicula exploit growth, but the Venus flytrap uses such rapid turgor changes that glue became unnecessary. The stalked glands that once made it and which are so evident in Drosera have become the teeth and trigger hairs—an example of natural selection hijacking preexisting structures for new functions.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carnivo...lant#Evolution

Note - will someone please sort this ing w-a-t-e-r ing nonsense!? Jebus wept, its annoying.