+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

More than one god?

Genesis 1:26
    And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness

This verse in the bible, does not make grammatic sense.

It first begins in the singular form,
    And God said,

Then goes into the plural form, like it is indicating that there is more than one god,
    Let us make man in our image, after our likeness

Some people believe that it could be a typo, if it is a typo than why is it in every bible there is?
    "The mind bends and twists in order to deal with the horrors of life...
    ...sometimes the mind bends so much it snaps in two".

Re: More than one god?

It's called Pluralis Majestatis -Wiki,
    The majestic plural (pluralis maiestatis in Latin) is the use of a plural pronoun to refer to a single person holding a high office, such as a monarch, bishop, pope, or university rector. It is also called the royal pronoun, the royal "we" or the Victorian "we". The more general word for the use of we to refer to oneself is nosism, from the Latin nos. It is most commonly used to denote the excellence, power, and dignity of the person that speaks or writes.

In pluralis maiestatis a speaker refers to herself or himself using a grammatical number other than the singular (i.e., in plural or, where attested, dual form). For example, the Basic Law of the Sultanate of Oman opens thus:

On the Issue of the Basic Law of the State We, Qaboos bin Said, Sultan of Oman…

Other instances of use:
    * We are not amused. — Queen Victoria (in at least one account of this quotation, though, she was not speaking for herself alone, but for the ladies of the court.)
    * In his abdication statement, Nicholas II of Russia uses the pluralis maiestatis liberally, as in "In agreement with the Imperial Duma, We have thought it well to renounce the Throne of the Russian Empire and to lay down the supreme power."
    * In a frequently-repeated story, United States Navy Admiral Hyman G. Rickover told a subordinate who used the royal we: "Three groups are permitted that usage: pregnant women, royalty, and schizophrenics. Which one are you?"
    * Mark Twain once made a similar remark: "Only kings, presidents, editors, and people with tapeworms have the right to use the editorial 'we.'"
    The underlined should apply to your question.

Click link for full article.
    Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge: it is those who know little, and not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science. -C. Darwin

on a separate but similar note, the name of god has several different spellings in the bible such a elohim, yahweh, etc!? what's up with that!? is this any different then the plurality of the greek gods!? :freak3: : :spin2: :
    i do not endorse/recommend any advertising on scam.com associated with my name /posts or otherwise. thank you

LogicallyYours is offline Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings.

I have it on good word he prefers to be called, "Phil".
    "Religion is a heavy suitcase: all you have to do is put it down."
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    "I have read the bible...more than once. I was not impressed nor was I so moved to give up my ability to think for myself and surrender my knowledge of facts for the unfounded belief in a mythical sky-fairy." - Me.

Knight-mare

Genesis 1:26
    And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness

This verse in the bible, does not make grammatic sense.

It first begins in the singular form,
    And God said,

Then goes into the plural form, like it is indicating that there is more than one god,
    Let us make man in our image, after our likeness

Some people believe that it could be a typo, if it is a typo than why is it in every bible there is?

I believe there are two Gods. Both are equal in in all respects except for uniqueness. That's the reason for the confusion. I believe Jesus was God. Rather than believing Jesus was two persons, NT authors invented the son of God story. If they told the truth, no one would believe it.

For God, truth is stranger than fiction.
    Last edited by Cnance; 06-05-2010 at 02:14 PM.

hackenslash is offline Destroyer of bad ideas. Smasher of canards.

Problem is that if you grant that they invented anything, you open the door to the possibility that they invented all of it.

This is, of course, entirely the problem with the bibble and why it can't be cited as evidence. Any source is only as good as its least reliable information, and since the the babble contains within it many things that categorically didn't happen, it must be discarded in toto. There's no other course of action left available to anybody with more than two functioning neurons, except, of course to go the line of Morton's Demon, which is the line that young Earth cretinists take, ignoring reality and taking the word of the buybull as literal. That way clearly lies madness, though.
    In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act - George Orwell

I believe there are two Gods. Both are equal in in all respects except for uniqueness. That's the reason for the confusion. I believe Jesus was God. Rather than believing Jesus was two persons, NT authors invented the son of God story. If they told the truth, no one would believe it.

For God, truth is stranger than fiction.[/quote]

Some people believe that we have 3 gods, "The Holy Trinity" supposedly. Those people beleive that god, jesus and the holy ghost are all in one. I don't really buy into that theory.

I will agree with you, the truth is stranger than fiction.
    Last edited by Knight-mare; 06-05-2010 at 02:11 PM.

Skip the advertisement, there is a reason why God declared Himself in the plural.

This is my previous posting. In addition, see Ezekiel chapter One where there are two wheels in one, and see Revelations Chapter 11 about the "Two Witnesses."

It's one of the mysteries of God. Knowing that God is Two entities in one explains why the gospel writers were confused. Rather than accepting God as he was, they insisted the two entities were father and son, which is a fallacy.

Lord_jag is offline I am God because I say I am. Prove me wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by LogicallyYours View Post
    I have it on good word he prefers to be called, "Phil".
    But that's short for Phillip. Phillip McRevis.
    A real, honest, falsifiable claim made b.y Seer of dreams:(2011)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cnance View Post
    I believe there will be a nuclear war in October of this year.
    Oh Cnance.... Full of shit as always.

Lord_jag is offline I am God because I say I am. Prove me wrong.

Yeah cause the current story is SOOOOO BELIEVABLE! yb:
    A real, honest, falsifiable claim made b.y Seer of dreams:(2011)
    I believe there will be a nuclear war in October of this year.
    Oh Cnance.... Full of shit as always.

Lord_jag

Yeah cause the current story is SOOOOO BELIEVABLE!
    For you, it is a complete waste of time to debate anything in the Bible. I am waiting for the alternative explanation. Atheist remind me of Marxist, they are experts at criticizing, but hardly ever offer solutions or believable answers.

If not God, how did it come about. You can't make a argument based on nothingness, and yet that's your only position. From nothing came something. How is that possible?

If you believe that Jesus was god, than why is Jesus refered to as the son?

Knight-mare

If you believe that Jesus was god, than why is Jesus refered to as the son?
    That is an extremely important question.

There is a long history as to why I came to that conclusion. To begin, I read Bart Ehrman's books on the New Testament. Basically, Ehrman, a biblical scholar with an interest in early manuscripts found that the gospels were written 35-70 years after the crucifixion. Most biblical scholars support that conclusion. Ehrman also found numerous other manuscripts about Jesus that had not been accepted by early Christian leaders. Thus, a reasonable doubt remains as to the authenticity of the gospels and to Paul's writings.

Then, I researched on my own and found that none of Paul's references to the Old Testament about Jesus were literal. They were all "figurative interpretations," which means that you can pick any passage to support your agenda and with ambiguous applications of logic conclude absurd and unrelated associations. It is telling that they concluded that Jesus was two in one, father and son. Jesus, as God, had declared Himself to be two persons. His followers couldn't accept what He said about himself, thus their conclusion that Jesus was the son of God. If you research the Old Testament you will find no references to the son of God, just the Messiah, which can be interpreted as " the savior."

Then, I've found references in the Old Testament and Revelations to God as two entities, both equal in powr, holiness and glory.

My conclusion is that God was murdered by men (Rev. 11) and then, after men discovered they had murdered Him, they found a convenient cover story, which is the Jesus story.

Talk about ridiculous. Why have scam.com editors censored P O W E R and W A T E R?

I am about ready to exit scam.com for good. There are increasing numbers of persons hawking products and stupid sex adds that demean the website.
    Last edited by Cnance; 08-07-2010 at 07:08 PM.

LogicallyYours is offline Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings.

For you, it is a complete waste of time to debate anything in the Bible. I am waiting for the alternative explanation. Atheist remind me of Marxist, they are experts at criticizing, but hardly ever offer solutions or believable answers.

If not God, how did it come about. You can't make a argument based on nothingness, and yet that's your only position. From nothing came something. How is that possible?
    The Big Bang theory does propose something came from nothing. Thats a mispreresentation that the ignorant like to prepetuate.

Ironically, our explanation is that some omnipotent being...who existed, with no start or end (for whom there is no proof of).....at some point in time decided to create everything from nothing.

I am waiting for the alternative explanation. Atheist remind me of Marxist, they are experts at criticizing, but hardly ever offer solutions or believable answers.
    Laughable. Science IS answering these questions. You just don't like the answers.

So, where did god come from?
    "I have read the bible...more than once. I was not impressed nor was I so moved to give up my ability to think for myself and surrender my knowledge of facts for the unfounded belief in a mythical sky-fairy." - Me.

LogicallyYours

The Big Bang theory does propose something came from nothing. Thats a mispreresentation that the ignorant like to prepetuate.

Ironically, our explanation is that some omnipotent being...who existed, with no start or end (for whom there is no proof of).....at some point in time decided to create everything from nothing.

Laughable. Science IS answering these questions. You just don't like the answers.

So, where did god come from?
    [/quote]

How about that, you admit "That some omnipotent being . . . some point in time decided to create everything from nothing." I'd say that's progress.

What do you propose that omnipotent being is, or what do you imagine it to be?

You ask where did my God come from. If God is unbounded by time or place, then there is no answer to the question. You need a reference point for an answer. God has no reference point or points of reference.

Because there is only on God, I refuse to discuss where my God came from. My God and the God of the universe is the Lord of the Old testament. You can like millions of others invent a pagan god, but it will only be in you head, not real and not capable of doing anything.

Why is it that you and all the other atheist on scam.com can't read. I have said numerous times that I believe in evolution, but I don't believe everything came from nothing. For that, I don't believe evolution can explain "origins of species," just their evolution since they were created millions of years ago. Remember when I proposed that paradise was perhaps during the Cambrian explosion and after the fall men e v o l v e d to what they are today? Do you remember that? I have never said that evolution is not possible. I've said clearly many times that evolution can't explain and has failed to explain ORIGINS. Where did species come from? That's the important question.
    Last edited by Cnance; 08-08-2010 at 01:42 PM.

My mistake:
    That should have been:
    Ironically, YOUR explanation is that some omnipotent being...who existed, with no start or end (for whom there is no proof of).....at some point in time decided to create everything from nothing.

Your side is the one making the claim "something from nothing".

You ask where did my God come from. If God is unbounded by time or place, then there is no answer to the question. You need a reference point for an answer. God has no reference point or points of reference.
    That's both an intellectual and logical cop out. There is no evidence that supports that or points to that excuse. It's just a brainless retort in place of not having both the evidence or the answer.

That's a convenient but, bullshit answer. Talk about your believing myths.
    Last edited by LogicallyYours; 08-08-2010 at 04:49 PM.