+ Reply to Thread

Fedex phone scam?

Hi,

I got a phone call this morning around 9:30 am from a man claiming to be Fedex from Dayton NJ. He asked my husband to confirm our apartment number, because they had a package for me. My husband hung up. Then the guy calls back and I answer. Same guy, he says he just spoke to my husband and needs to confirm that my address is such and such apt e. I said yes, and hung up since I was late for a doctors appointment.

In the car, my husband and I come to realize, the gentleman never gave us a tracking number. So smelling something fishy, we call Fed ex at the toll free number I got from the local Fed ex office. They proceed to tell us that in usual cases, Fedex does not call to confirm packages. Never having had anything delivered by Fed ex, we did not know this.

So, we were wondering, has anyone else written in about this? Is it a known scam? I saw some instances on google that were similar but not exactly like mine, as they never mentioned money to me or Western Union.

Maybe I do have a package coming? Maybe the guy was unfamiliar with my town and needed the address confirmed?
    I am waiting on a book from a website I participated on, but I was expecting that to be like USPS. I’m mildly concerned.

Thanks for any info.

Re: Fedex phone scam?

Both FedEx and UPS do have clerks who do call receivers to verify addresses. The clerks are suppose to give their name and the tracking number but sometimes they forget or are in a hurry. Sometimes the shipper did forget the apartment #, suite #, part of the house number, misspelled the street name or put the incorrect postal code on the package. It is all too common to see a package with the address of 123 Main Avenue #4, Springfield, ND, 99991 when the correct address is 1234 Main Street #4B, Springfield, SD, 99992. So, there is a chance the called was legit.

That being said, I can think of a couple of ways that could turn into a scam.

1) The caller obtained your address from the phone book, online or phishing email. The scammer wanted your apartment number in order to stop by later to rob your apartment.
    2) The caller wanted to stop by later pretending to be a FedEx driver and want a 'COD' fee in cash for the empty box he was carrying.

Maybe I do have a package coming? Maybe the guy was unfamiliar with my town and needed the address confirmed?
    Could be that there is a substitute vacation coverage driver or a new trainee on the route and he wanted to make sure he delivered your package to the correct apartment/building. It could have been the driver himself who called you with his personal cell, some conscientious drivers will do that.

I am waiting on a book from a website I participated on, but I was expecting that to be like USPS. I’m mildly concerned.
    Hopefully that book arrives FedEx with an "address correction" sticker on it, adding your apartment number to the address.

What I find odd is that the clerk called back. Most clerks are busy and when unable to contact the receiver, will simply send end a postcard through the post office in the hopes the postal carrier will know the correct delivery address.

Keep us updated, this could go either way.
    Found a scam or scammer's email address? Post it at scamwarners.com
    Found a romance scam? Post it at romancescam.com

2 things come to mind.

1] My grandfather, when I was a kid, would get call asking if his farm stand was open. (he lived on the edge of a small town and had a truck farm). Sometimes the caller would just hang up.
    He also noticed that whenever he got these calls, there was a red truck at a small road bridge, that a creek that ran through his property, ran under the county road. He didn't think anything about it at first, as people always fish there. But the same vehicle bothered him.

So one day, when he noticed the truck at the bridge,He left his truck in the barn, didn't answer the phone, Just loaded his shotgun and sat at the table drinking coffee.

Noon, the truck pulled up, one guy used bolt cutters on the chain holding the farm stand door shut, another used a sledge on the house door.

(needless to say, the one who broke into the house will NEVER commit another crime again, EVER.The other one was later caught)

2. They want your info for some reason, but by googling your ph# they can get that. I believe I heard of collection companies/finance companies trying to do this, to show up to do a 'repo'

Others I've heard of for similar things:

Law Enforcement (summons, warrants,etc)
    Finance companies (repo car, pay-by-the-week furniture rentals, like rent-a-center)
    Salesmen/women To sell you crap you don't need
    Slammers watch your phone bill!

ok, turns out that we DID get a package. It was the 8x10 photo of our shih tzu dottie, that we got taken for free at a petco grand opening thing. we totally forgot about it.

Quote Originally Posted by mandy_Reeves View Post
    ok, turns out that we DID get a package. It was the 8x10 photo of our shih tzu dottie, that we got taken for free at a petco grand opening thing. we totally forgot about it.
    What a relief huh?
    Still, was the addy on the package spot on? Why did they need to call you?

One of the ways to prevent telephone scams is to check area codes. In some cases, it helps. Check this site https://areaphonecodes.com/united-states/703. It's so easy to use: you enter an area code and you get full information about a region.