+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 16 of 60

Thread: Kirby vacuums

  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    2

    Kirby vacuums

    Hi
    Does anyone know is the Kirby company a scam?
    I read a lot about that today and there are positive feedbacks and also a lot of people who's saying that's scam.
    My boyfriend is about to go there for the interview and it sounds like a good job, but after reading some posts i'm kinda afraid to let him go there.
    Please if somebody know anything about that, let me know
    Thanks

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    45

    Re: Kirby vacuums

    i knew a guy who sold Kirby. He made good money everytime he sold one. But i found it unbelievable that people would would actually agree to let salesman in their home. Vacuumes are not that difficult to find. The vacuums are very expensive but some of best made.

    Kirby sales person closes leads and sets up appointments. Must have own form of transportation. commision based.

    Not a scam, been around for a long time.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    7,767

    Re: Kirby vacuums

    here is how it usually goes - he will be required to make a presentation to a friend or relative, for practice.

    the friend or relative must buy. after all, if he's not a good enough salesman to sell the friend or relative, why bother sending him out to talk to strangers?

    the prices are very flexible. they have a huge markup. they can probably cut the price in half and still the company makes plenty of money. the salesman won't. the job is always open. nobody stays.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    8

    Re: Kirby vacuums

    Kirby is owned by Birkshire Hathaway AKA Warren Buffet. He also owns Worldbook and The Pampered Chef. Kirby has been around forever and if they were a scam Buffet would not be involved. Like anything your boyfriend will be required to actually do the work to be paid. I wish him luck.

    Rouster

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    You can't get there from here.
    Posts
    904

    Re: Kirby vacuums

    They are sort of a Swiss Army Knife that sucks, but in a good way. I don't know if they are really worth the money, but they are a very well built machine. Heck, you can spray paint with the dang thing, among many other crazy/odd attachments available for the Kirby. I had a friend that used to work at a repair center. As I recall, he spent a lot of time changing belts, that's about all that ever went wrong with them. He still has and uses his, with all the crazy accesories, including the paint sprayer. Of course he didn't pay the nutzo price for his.

    :spin2:
    Last edited by Mike!; 05-14-2010 at 05:07 PM.
    Who's running this popcorn stand anyway? :zx11pissed:

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    33

    Re: Kirby vacuums

    Definitely not a scam. The machines are hella expensive, but they are good ones. I wouldn't pay the price they ask for.

    To be good at selling vacuums, it's all about how your boyfriend does the demo. To do a good 1, he should expect to spend one in a half too 2 hours in a home. Also, the younger you are, the better you'll do.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    117

    Re: Kirby vacuums

    I actually went and worked for them for a week many many years ago and sold two of the beasts, they were priced at 990 at the time, but it was very hard sales work and i didnt like it so left... but jesus do those things suck, a blow, and vibrate and massage and dry clean and everything else you would ever want from an electrical appliance.

    I think they were very hurt a few years ago when a sales team from the midlands was promoting them as helping prevent cot death and asthma.

    Anyways, kirby have been around for years and if you look at the album cover on the Eagles Hotel California you will see their generic model in the foyer being used by a typical american house maid.

    The product itself is not a scam, just the way some sales men con you into credit agreements that are about five times the retail price of the cleaner itself.

    PS.... nothing sucks like an electorlux... just thought you should know that!!!:freak3:

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    170

    Re: Kirby vacuums

    And don't forget their silly little dance and song routine :cwm2::cwm2:

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    216

    The Kirby vacuum cleaner MLM scam

    A friend told me about this. They said they saw a ad in a paper for cleaning job. they were taking lots of applications and everyone was getting a so called group interview the next day... about 30 people showed up the next day for the so called interview.

    they were shown a bs video about demonstrating Kirby vacuum cleaners and a sales pitch and the mlm payment structure and that they did not have to be sales man, just demonstrate the vacuum cleaner and that a professional sales man would follow up the next day to try and land a sale... if they did, the demonstrator would be paid a part of the commission.

    After the little movie, they had a professional sales man demonstrate the Kirby and how they would do it and all they had to do is have a car and go out and demonstrate the Kirby and would be given their appointments each day and the addresses and times to demonstrate... they were given a script as to what to say and trained how to demonstrate the vacuum cleaner... their job was not to try and sell it or do the paperwork or complete a transaction... that is where the scam comes in... the plan was to have a professional do a follow up call and sell the cleaner and if they were successful, the one who absorbed the loss in time and gas in traveling to do the demonstration would get a commission... if not, they would just be out the time and money... guess what, they never made a dime.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    21,906

    Re: The Kirby vacuum cleaner MLM scam

    Quote Originally Posted by RACollins View Post
    A friend told me about this. They said they saw a ad in a paper for cleaning job. they were taking lots of applications and everyone was getting a so called group interview the next day... about 30 people showed up the next day for the so called interview.

    they were shown a bs video about demonstrating Kirby vacuum cleaners and a sales pitch and the mlm payment structure and that they did not have to be sales man, just demonstrate the vacuum cleaner and that a professional sales man would follow up the next day to try and land a sale... if they did, the demonstrator would be paid a part of the commission.

    After the little movie, they had a professional sales man demonstrate the Kirby and how they would do it and all they had to do is have a car and go out and demonstrate the Kirby and would be given their appointments each day and the addresses and times to demonstrate... they were given a script as to what to say and trained how to demonstrate the vacuum cleaner... their job was not to try and sell it or do the paperwork or complete a transaction... that is where the scam comes in... the plan was to have a professional do a follow up call and sell the cleaner and if they were successful, the one who absorbed the loss in time and gas in traveling to do the demonstration would get a commission... if not, they would just be out the time and money... guess what, they never made a dime.

    I dont understand where this is a 'scam''. Its quite normal for self employed sales people to have expenses, and for them to be paid only when a product is sold. To scam someone is to defraud someone, so where are people being defrauded? Are they paid if a product is sold? If not, then its indeed a scam. A sales person having expenses whether or not a product is sold is not a scam. Sorry.
    "People are not interested in your product or your business; they are interested in solving their own problems." -- James Dillehay, Entrepreneur and Author

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    216

    Re: The Kirby vacuum cleaner MLM scam

    The scam was in the ad as it did not state it was a 100% commission job. nor did it state they would be having to use their own vehicle and pay for the gas... furthermore, there was no way for the demonstrator to verify that the followup secured a sale or not and therefore no way to know if they had a commission coming or not.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    21,906

    Re: The Kirby vacuum cleaner MLM scam

    Quote Originally Posted by RACollins View Post
    The scam was in the ad as it did not state it was a 100% commission job. nor did it state they would be having to use their own vehicle and pay for the gas... furthermore, there was no way for the demonstrator to verify that the followup secured a sale or not and therefore no way to know if they had a commission coming or not.
    Advertising that it was a job instead of a business opportunity is certainly bad practice, moreso for the person who put out the ad. The person who put out the advert is looking for self employed sales people, so what is the point of attracting people who think its a job? That person is actually scamming themselves, because they've paid for an ad and attracted the wrong type of person, lol.

    I presume this advert was put out by a Kirby distributor? I would doubt very much that the company would do it.

    Can you link to the advert please, so we can have a closer look?
    "People are not interested in your product or your business; they are interested in solving their own problems." -- James Dillehay, Entrepreneur and Author

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    216

    Re: The Kirby vacuum cleaner MLM scam

    That was a while ago and my friend does not remember the exact date the ad was run... however, if you doubt this to be a scam, a simple google search of "Kirby vacuum scams" :zx11pissed:will reveal pages and pages and pages of complaints and how they were scammed both by consumers and by the sales people as well as copies of actual ads run in the newspapers and other stories of people who answered such ads and how deceptive everything was and all the lies they were told and how they were scammed by Kirby and not paid for demonstrating the vacuum as were told they would be... to save you time, just click the link above and start reading about the proof in the pudding...

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    21,906

    Re: The Kirby vacuum cleaner MLM scam

    Quote Originally Posted by RACollins View Post
    That was a while ago and my friend does not remember the exact date the ad was run... however, if you doubt this to be a scam, a simple google search of "Kirby vacuum scams" :zx11pissed:will reveal pages and pages and pages of complaints and how they were scammed both by consumers and by the sales people as well as copies of actual ads run in the newspapers and other stories of people who answered such ads and how deceptive everything was and all the lies they were told and how they were scammed by Kirby and not paid for demonstrating the vacuum as were told they would be... to save you time, just click the link above and start reading about the proof in the pudding...
    Googling a phrase or name with ''scam'' on the end means very little, you can get many pages with any phrase, for example I googled your name with ''scam'' and came up with over 300,000 entries...you're not a scammer are you?

    Here is a good link with an explanation of ''kirby scam''
    "People are not interested in your product or your business; they are interested in solving their own problems." -- James Dillehay, Entrepreneur and Author

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    216

    Kirby vacuum question

    Is there realy 2 ounces of gold in that machine or is that just the marked up value since they will bargin the price down to $800 from $2500 once they find you can't afford the gold price?:rasta:

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    21,906

    Re: Kirby vacuum question

    Come on then, tell us.......in what way were you ''hurt'' by Kirby?

    Are you an ex-salesman who failed to make the grade and looking for something/someone to blame?
    "People are not interested in your product or your business; they are interested in solving their own problems." -- James Dillehay, Entrepreneur and Author

Similar Threads

  1. The Riley McDowell Group Kirby Company Employment Scam
    By former_kirby in forum Business Scams
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-04-2013, 05:29 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may edit your posts
  •