+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 11 1234567891011 LastLast
Results 1 to 16 of 167

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    9,583

    Would there be Christianity On Another Planet?

    If Christians are to be believed, then god made the heavens, the earth, the universe, the stars, yup, pretty much the whole gig.

    So, for the moment, let us run with that.

    Now, scientists have calculated that the odds of there being other intelligent life forms, someplace in this vast universe, a being high, what would become a problem for us would be being able to reach them, as the most likely location is still a million or two light years away.

    However, for the moment, let us also assume that there are three other planets, in the whole universe, with what we would regard as intelligent life forms, with a social structure, and so on.

    So....

    With that in mind, my question to Chrstiians esp, but not exclusively, is, if there were three planets with other intelligent life, does Christianity exist on those three planets, logically?

    After all, if god made their planet, then he made them, right, therfore, much like earth, he would no doubt also have loved his creations, etc, etc, you know the drill..

    Additionally, god would want to prove to their early people that he was for real, by sending a physical product of Him, by way of a son.

    So, logically, we would have Jesus going to those three planets, at some stage in their history, and being sacrifcied, and rising, all over again.

    What would be the alternative?

    That these people's, such as they are, had never heard of a god? Surely not. If god created them, then, as with us, he would leave 'clues', in the shape of writings, or whatever.

    YWFT
    Every Saint has a past, every sinner has a future..

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    5,324

    Re: Would there be Christianity On Another Planet?


  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    9,583

    Re: Would there be Christianity On Another Planet?

    Hahahahahaha, that was a goodie, fella.

    However, you know, there are some people of religion who take the view that what their god created here on earth, is unique, and that he did not repeat this anyplace else in the universe, therefore, there can be no others, and nothing else.

    But I believe they have shifted a lot on that position, as scientific probabilty has shifted, in other words, it was starting to get risky to take the stance that there were no other planets with intelligent life, just in case one was discovered, making their claim look like dog poo!

    Wasn't soon enough for this poor chap..


    When Bruno announced his plan to leave Venice to his host, the latter, who was unhappy with the teachings he had received and had apparently developed a personal rancour towards Bruno, denounced him to the Venetian Inquisition, which had Bruno arrested on May 22, 1592. Among the numerous charges of blasphemy and heresy brought against him in Venice, based on Mocenigo's denunciation, was his belief in the plurality of worlds, as well as accusations of personal misconduct.

    Bruno defended himself skillfully, stressing the philosophical character of some of his positions, denying others and admitting that he had had doubts on some matters of dogma. The Roman Inquisition, however, asked for his transferral to Rome. After several months and some quibbling the Venetian authorities reluctantly consented and Bruno was sent to Rome in February 1593.


    (Crimes?)

    Holding opinions contrary to the Catholic Faith and speaking against it and its ministers.

    Holding erroneous opinions about the Trinity, about Christ's divinity and Incarnation.

    Holding erroneous opinions about Christ.

    Holding erroneous opinions about Transubstantiation and Mass.

    Claiming the existence of a plurality of worlds and their eternity.

    Believing in metempsychosis and in the transmigration of the human soul into brutes.

    Dealing in magics and divination.

    Denying the Virginity of Mary.

    In these grim circumstances Bruno continued his Venetian defensive strategy, which consisted in bowing to the Church's dogmatic teachings, while trying to preserve the basis of his philosophy. In particular Bruno held firm to his belief in the plurality of worlds, although he was admonished to abandon it. His trial was overseen by the Inquisitor Cardinal Bellarmine, who demanded a full recantation, which Bruno eventually refused. Instead he appealed in vain to Pope Clement VIII, hoping to save his life through a partial recantation. The Pope expressed himself in favor of a guilty verdict. Consequently, Bruno was declared a heretic, and told he would be handed over to secular authorities. According to the correspondence of one Gaspar Schopp of Breslau, he is said to have made a threatening gesture towards his judges and to have replied:

    "Maiori forsan cum timore sententiam in me fertis quam ego accipiam (Perhaps you pronounce this sentence against me with greater fear than I receive it)."[16] He was quickly turned over to the secular authorities and, on February 17, 1600 in the Campo de' Fiori, a central Roman market square, "his tongue imprisoned because of his wicked words" he was burned at the stake.[17] His ashes were dumped into the Tiber river



    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giordano_Bruno
    Every Saint has a past, every sinner has a future..

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    1,333

    Re: Would there be Christianity On Another Planet?

    The issue, even in this, is whether the official church is actually representative of "God and truth" in any sense.

    Can any collective group hold such absolute authorityt in regard to truth? No(Godel's theorem).

    Can any natural mind develop laws such that it is representative of God? No(Romans 8:7).

    The biblical premise of law in the OT is accusatory law. With that provision, there must be two accuser who can demonstrate the truthfulness of the accusation(Deut.19:15) for any offense.

    Also, in the process, it is recognized that God is the vindicator of the accused, not the accuser(Isaiah 54:17, 50:8).

    The catholics, by NT law, would have been required to settle any trespass or debt by allowing the community to decide, and then decide only if the person refused judgement of the community. However, by NT direction, the individual is to simply be shunned, to go his way and be treated as a "gentile and tax collector"(Matthew18:17).

    The church, in putting Bruno or others to death, violated the teachings of their own book, which forbade them from vengeance in any form(Matthew 5, Romans 12).

    In fact, the catholics worked with secular authorities by turning people over to the secular authorities for the purpopse of murdering.

    But, by NT teaching, the power of death was allowed to Satan, and Satan was the ruler of world governments(Matthe 4, Luke 4), suc that death was to be considered only as a last possible alternative, and NOT by the power of the church.

    The government, even under the mandates of Romans 13, can only act in vengeance AFTER due process of law has released the individual to the state.

    That is also codified into our US Constitution, but not actually recognized, since the right against self incrimination demands common law judgement by peers rather than state appopinted judges.

    Religions that tell you that you must obey the law in all cases because of Romans 13 are just continuations of the old catholic bullshit.

    The catholics broke their own damn laws to put Bruno to death.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    9,583

    Re: Would there be Christianity On Another Planet?

    I'm hearing crickets from the Christians on here.

    I shall try again - given that god made the heavens and the earth, and therefore, all life, do you agree that on planets with other lifeforms that were developed enough, that God, therefore, Christianity, would be known to them, and, in theory, would God have sent a son to have been tortured and murdered on these planets, so that their people could also have salvation?
    Every Saint has a past, every sinner has a future..

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    9,583

    Re: Would there be Christianity On Another Planet?

    Quote Originally Posted by iamwil View Post
    As I see it G!d spoke to many and sent many.

    And yet, for some reason, he has been deafingly silent, for the last 2000 years. He hasn't spoken to anyone, of late, and he hasn't sent anyone, in some time. Of course, there are those who claim that he has, and that he lives among us now, however, ironicallly, this is usually rejected.

    As I see it Hindus, Bhuddists, Taoists, Jains, Jews, etc. grocked G!d without needing Jesus.

    Okay, so what you are saying there is each of those took like a new route, but, no matter, they still 'found' god, by that route, right? And they did not need Jesus to do so. Therefore, the Christian ideal that you NEED Jesus to get into heaven, is what...not valid?

    And for Muslim's, Bahai, Rastas, etc. Jesus wasn't enough, G!d had to keep speaking for them to get an understaning.

    Why? He is god. He could make anyone understand, couldn't he?

    Furthermore, until we all understand it won't stop, the universe is dedicated.

    What do you mean?

    So on another planet....as here, all of G!d's children are listening at various levels just as they are here. And some have risen to the top like cream. And like here various factions have grocked G!d in various ways.

    Interesting. So you are of the view, that were it one other planet, or a thousand, that had intelligent life, that they would indeed have experieced god, at some level, right? That is quite a claim! Therefore, if visitors ever came, and knew not of a creator like that, you would perhaps accept that god did not create them, and their world, right? Which would meant that god did not create ALL life.

    Would they have named anyone Jesus or have Christianity, not likely. Have some attained of enlightenment of being Christed or a Bodisatva or realized otherwise I and the father are one...if not yet....sometime...yeah
    Again, Christians believe that to have eternal life, as it were, you MUST accept Jesus as the son of god, otherwise, well, otherwise you cannot get into heaven. This is written quite clearly, for the bible.

    Thus, if these aliens were did not do this, then like those who didn't do this here, they would not be taking the One True Path to eternal life, as promised, in the Bible
    .
    Every Saint has a past, every sinner has a future..

  7. #7
    Lord_jag's Avatar
    Lord_jag is offline I am God because I say I am. Prove me wrong. User Rank
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    2,796

    Re: Would there be Christianity On Another Planet?

    Quote Originally Posted by iamwil View Post
    As I see it G!d spoke to many and sent many.

    As I see it Hindus, Bhuddists, Taoists, Jains, Jews, etc. grocked G!d without needing Jesus.

    And for Muslim's, Bahai, Rastas, etc. Jesus wasn't enough, G!d had to keep speaking for them to get an understaning.

    Furthermore, until we all understand it won't stop, the universe is dedicated.

    So on another planet....as here, all of G!d's children are listening at various levels just as they are here. And some have risen to the top like cream. And like here various factions have grocked G!d in various ways.

    Would they have named anyone Jesus or have Christianity, not likely. Have some attained of enlightenment of being Christed or a Bodisatva or realized otherwise I and the father are one...if not yet....sometime...yeah
    God didn't even give a damn enough to allow people outside the middle east to even here he had arrived. It was a more than a thousand years since his supposed arrival before anyone in the Americas ever heard about Jesus. I guess all those generation aren't worth saving.

    If people on the same world aren't worth saving why would people on another planet be worth saving?
    A real, honest, falsifiable claim made b.y Seer of dreams:(2011)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cnance View Post
    I believe there will be a nuclear war in October of this year.
    Oh Cnance.... Full of shit as always.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    9,583

    Re: Would there be Christianity On Another Planet?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lord_jag View Post
    God didn't even give a damn enough to allow people outside the middle east to even here he had arrived. It was a more than a thousand years since his supposed arrival before anyone in the Americas ever heard about Jesus. I guess all those generation aren't worth saving.

    If people on the same world aren't worth saving why would people on another planet be worth saving?
    Of course, the believer would say that in the case of someone who, through no fault of their own, had never heard of the Lords word, then they would not be penalised for this, and would perhaps enter the 'gates' of heaven..

    Which reads to me like a handy 'out'..
    Every Saint has a past, every sinner has a future..

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    123

    Re: Would there be Christianity On Another Planet?

    Quote Originally Posted by Yeah Well Fine Then View Post
    So, logically, we would have Jesus going to those three planets, at some stage in their history, and being sacrifcied, and rising, all over again.

    What would be the alternative?

    That these people's, such as they are, had never heard of a god? Surely not. If god created them, then, as with us, he would leave 'clues', in the shape of writings, or whatever.

    YWFT
    For the sake of argument lets pretend that a god exists, in particular, the christian god.

    Your answer would depend if the set of proto humans that 'god' put on the other planets passed the first test of temptation. If adam and eve never ate the fruit of knowledge, then heaven is for rent and jesus gets a 3 day weekend. If not, then I would assume we can take the track that bible uses, make the story up.

    Who's to say you're wrong?

    Perhaps on earth 1.2, 1.21 and 1.3 god learned not to put a tempting leafy pleasing to look at shrub in the garden. He also learned from prior experience and had a road runner lurking around killing snakes.

    Maybe on one of the planets the sin they were to avoid was sex.

    Seeing that most religions have a thing about controlling a followers sexual instincts.

    Maybe god took advice from Brahma and let the two court each, fall in love and then decide themselves if they wanted to be together. It beats having animals paraded to see what one you like. kinda gross if you ask me.

    Its an interesting concept, and fun to make up.
    Every time you click your mouse, an angel looses it's wings... >CLIP<

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Stow, OH SOL III
    Posts
    3,235

    Re: Would there be Christianity On Another Planet?

    Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge: it is those who know little, and not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science. -C. Darwin

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    9,583

    Re: Would there be Christianity On Another Planet?

    Hey - cool.

    An image to sum up my question!

    Thanks:spin2:
    Every Saint has a past, every sinner has a future..

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    9,583

    Re: Would there be Christianity On Another Planet?

    Of course, as Kazza was stating on another thread, if there was intelligent life, it is likely to be millions of years ahead of us, and, that being the case, there is the chance, of course, that the beings went through their phase of holding on to the last great superstition, and realised that good person or bad, there was no spirit being to judge them, at death?

    This would perhaps be called an evolution of the collective minds.
    Every Saint has a past, every sinner has a future..

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    9,583

    Re: Would there be Christianity On Another Planet?

    Our family of organic gene/protein life is unique in its complexity. Every cell contains thousands of complex molecules tailored specifically for their function that work in harmony to sustain life. At the core, genes code proteins that in turn help to reproduce the genetic code. The result is a chain of self-propagation and advancement, now 4 billion years old. Life is unique in its drive for self-perpetuation, as if seeking this outcome on purpose. Where there is life, there is therefore purpose.

    We belong to this unique family of life and share its purpose. This identity implies a human purpose to secure and expand life. This identity suggests basic ethical values: Acts that secure life are good; acts that destroy life are evil. These are the basic values of biotic ethics that value gene/protein life, and of panbiotic ethics that seek to expand life in the universe.

    Life is also unique because the laws of nature precisely allow biology to exist. The laws of electromagnetic and nuclear forces, chemistry, gravity, and cosmology coincide precisely to form a livable universe and allow for life to occupy it. In this sense, the universe came to a unique point in life.

    To secure and expand life, we may settle the solar system and seed with life new solar systems beyond. We can do this by sending directed panspermia missions, launched by solar sails toward new solar systems and star-forming interstellar clouds. These missions can carry hardy microorganisms viable in diverse environments, that contain the essential patterns of organic gene/protein life. Some of this new life may develop into intelligent beings who will further expand life in the galaxy.

    Is it morally right to send our kind of life to other worlds if they may interfere with other life? At this time, there is no evidence for extraterrestrial life. The only life that we know exists here on Earth, and it is endangered by nuclear war, pollution, and drastic climate change, and will surely end with the exploding sun. We need to secure life against such dangers promptly while our space-faring technology exists. If we are alone, the fate of all life is in our hands.

    Should we allow our family of life to end, for the fear of interfering with hypothetical life elsewhere? We can minimize interference by seeding newly forming solar systems where life could not have arisen yet. If our missions do encounter other life, it may be so different that we will not harm it; or if itís similar, it may be enriched genetically, helping it to advance faster.

    The life that we seed has an immense future in the galaxy, developing new lifeforms in billions of worlds for trillions of eons. We may also create robots and cyborgs to help us. These advances are supported by biotic ethics if this advanced life continues our gene/ protein heritage, and if the robots help organic life but donít displace it. To these effects, control must always remain with organic gene/protein brains with a vested interest in self-propagation.

    As to religion, the creator who formed life would surely like us to secure and propagate it. Indeed, most religions and natural human ethics value life. As for secularism, biotic ethics that value gene/protein life, and panbiotic ethics that seek to expand life, can form a rational basis for life-centered ethics.

    With such ethics, we can secure an immense future for our family of life. Our descendants may then understand nature more deeply and try to extend life indefinitely. In that future, our human existence can find a cosmic purpose.

    Michael Mautner is a research professor in the department of chemistry at Virginia Commonwealth University and the author of Seeding the Universe With Life.

    http://www.scienceandreligiontoday.c...utner-answers/
    Every Saint has a past, every sinner has a future..

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    26,339

    Re: Would there be Christianity On Another Planet?

    until life is actually discovered on another planet, and evolved sufficiently to reason!? no matter how likely by odds this seems, the question is moot!? i think the movie AI by spielberg delves into this very question!? give it a watch if you have not seen it, or watch it again to see new things!? he portrays these seemingly 'alien' creatures as beyond material greed/need and very benevolent!? can we be saved by an alien god!? why not!? why should a god care how we are saved, as long as we are!? of course in the movie, they get there TOO LATE!? and they talk to a robot as if it was real!? now i gotta dig it out!? :freak3: :spin2: :judges: :
    i do not endorse/recommend any advertising on scam.com associated with my name /posts or otherwise. thank you

  15. #15
    Lord_jag's Avatar
    Lord_jag is offline I am God because I say I am. Prove me wrong. User Rank
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    2,796

    Re: Would there be Christianity On Another Planet?

    Quote Originally Posted by Yeah Well Fine Then View Post
    Of course, the believer would say that in the case of someone who, through no fault of their own, had never heard of the Lords word, then they would not be penalised for this, and would perhaps enter the 'gates' of heaven..

    Which reads to me like a handy 'out'..
    Well then i would say.... GOD IS AN ASSHOLE for showing up in the first place. If he never came here, then noone would have ever heard of him and we woudl all be saved, right?
    A real, honest, falsifiable claim made b.y Seer of dreams:(2011)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cnance View Post
    I believe there will be a nuclear war in October of this year.
    Oh Cnance.... Full of shit as always.

  16. #16
    Lord_jag's Avatar
    Lord_jag is offline I am God because I say I am. Prove me wrong. User Rank
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    2,796

    Re: Would there be Christianity On Another Planet?

    Quote Originally Posted by iamwil View Post
    Who said G!d didn't give a damn?
    Pretty sure that was me.
    Quote Originally Posted by iamwil View Post
    And in a literal translation of your statement, and interpretation, G!d did give a damn....interesting.
    That's not my intended message.
    Quote Originally Posted by iamwil View Post
    As usual one must realize what the bible is and the bible isn't. What it isn't is G!d's word. What it is a compendium of 66 books each and everyone written by, man, edited by man, translated by man, interpretted, modified, altered, added to and changed by man for the past couple thousand years since they have been written and most of which lived as an oral tradition for long before they were written.
    Oh i totally agree that the bible is total garbage, but this thread takes for granted that Jesus showed up like the bible said, visited with a very small portion of the earth population and got himself killed before he visited anyone else.
    Quote Originally Posted by iamwil View Post
    It is only to be deciphered by one who believes and understands it, and that interpretation is only for that person...
    Convenient.
    A real, honest, falsifiable claim made b.y Seer of dreams:(2011)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cnance View Post
    I believe there will be a nuclear war in October of this year.
    Oh Cnance.... Full of shit as always.

Similar Threads

  1. Planet X
    By Old Timer in forum General Chat
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 09-03-2011, 01:40 PM
  2. Christianity vs. Churchianity
    By Happy Medium in forum Religious Scams
    Replies: 63
    Last Post: 10-14-2009, 05:04 AM
  3. Christianity
    By djbombsquad in forum Religious Scams
    Replies: 93
    Last Post: 07-19-2007, 08:58 AM
  4. Before Christianity
    By Qi123 in forum Religious Scams
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 01-09-2007, 04:34 AM
  5. Where Christianity came from
    By lisan23 in forum Religious Scams
    Replies: 66
    Last Post: 12-31-2006, 12:22 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may edit your posts
  •