+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

is this person trying to scam me??

I have my computer listed for sale on craigslist.com for $300. Someone emailed me asking if it is still available and in good condition. WHen I replied that I still have it for sale and it's in good condition, this is the email I got back:

---
    Thanks For Your Reply.. Requring my payment method, I will be sending you the payment through via (AlertPay International Money Order). And before the payment can be commenced, I will require for your full name and address, for the payment to be proceed. And i am willing offering you ($350.00).

Note: Once (AlertPay) has confirmed that i have a valid account and the money has been issued then the payment will be approved and the confirmation will be sent to you from (AlertPay International Money Order) via email.Shipping is going to be arranged with my personal Fedex account. Waiting to hear from you as soon as possible so payment can be Ordered and we can have a fast transaction between ourselves.
    Thanks And Best Regards

---

is this a scam this person is trying to pull? I am not familiar with international money orders. I am not comfortable giving this person my full name and address. it really sounds fishy to me...

what do ya'll think?

TIA,
    Bonnie

Re: is this person trying to scam me??

I know ya'll are busy and all, but any advise would really be appreciated. I would love to get rid of that other computer but don't want to give it to this person and not get paid....

Thanks

Yes, it's a scam. The money order will be fake and so will the AlertPay confirmation email. Don't do it!

Blanche

blindside Guest

idk, i've used international money orders before and had everything worked over fine. You may want to mabye have them do a bank transfer instead. But the bottom line is do not send anything until you see the cash in your bank account. Tell them to send you the money order or whatever they will be paying with, deposit the money. When you see that everything has cleared nicely, then you can send the PC. Otherwise, do not act on anything until you get paid first. this way you will avoid getting ripped off, just make sure that if they do decide to do that, that you don't rip them off!!

thanks guys..

I got another email from him/her after I asked where in the States the computer would be going to, and they replied by saying "just give me your full name and address and I will take care of the shipping... okay... get me your information." I replied and said I am selling to another party as I will accept cash only (local buyers only) and that he/she has been reported to the proper authorities to see that they don't try to scam anyone else out of their money.

thanks for the replies!

Bonnie

Why not accept payment through paypal and if you’re going to be selling things online, it’s best to use a postal box.

Yep, doesn't sound too good.
    And ya, go for PayPal man...

Same exact thing happened to me on Craigslist. The whole deal, offerring to pay more than the listed price, using Alertpay, send them my name and address for shipping, so on and so forth. Was seriously about to do it too, thanks for the heads up.

i sold things on ebay to people in other countries. they sent me money orders, & personal checks that i cashed first before i shipped the item, so why not do the same?

There's been a lot of scams where the money order or check will be fake. So once you cash it you become liable for everything. Once the bank finds out there's no money in the check or money order, they come after you for the funds. Also Craigslist unlike Ebay and PayPal offers no fraud protection so if you get screwed, you're well...screwed.

Quote Originally Posted by CTrooper
    There's been a lot of scams where the money order or check will be fake. So once you cash it you become liable for everything. Once the bank finds out there's no money in the check or money order, they come after you for the funds. Also Craigslist unlike Ebay and PayPal offers no fraud protection so if you get screwed, you're well...screwed.
    well my bank waits until the check clears before they give me any cash, so if it's fake, i don't get the cash, & they don't get the item, no harm done, but in the meantime, you can expose them for scam artists as you have their fake money order. my bank told me all about these scams & are reluctant to cash them outright, they always wait until they clear...
    Last edited by saturnsc2; 06-01-2006 at 04:58 PM.

I guess you should just be wary of people offerring to pay more than a listed price and using Alertpay. They want all your info prior to sending money. Also once I told the person I couldn't take Alertpay but only cash or PayPal, they were never heard from again. Pretty shady if you ask me. Got 3 emails like that.

Hi, I got the SAME email today 6-2-06, from a post on c-list offering $50 more than asked.
    - it looks like scamville
    : it came from- jesica leo [email protected]
    --
    Thanks For Your Reply.. Requring my payment method, I will be sending you the payment through via (AlertPay International Money Order). And before the payment can be commenced, I will require for your full name and address, for the payment to be proceed. And i am willing offering you ($850.00).

Note: Once (AlertPay) has confirmed that i have a valid account and the money has been issued then the payment will be approved and the confirmation will be sent to you from (AlertPay International Money Order) via email.Shipping is going to be arranged with my personal Fedex account. Waiting to hear from you as soon as possible so payment can be Ordered and we can have a fast transaction between ourselves.
    Thanks And Best Regards.
    --

here's what c-list says -
    distant person offers a genuine-looking (but fake) cashier's check
    you receive an email (examples below) offering to buy your item, or rent your apartment, sight unseen.
    cashier's check is offered for your sale item, as a deposit for an apartment, or for just about anything else of value.
    value of cashier's check often far exceeds your item - scammer offers to "trust" you, and asks you to wire the balance via money transfer service
    banks will often cash these fake checks AND THEN HOLD YOU RESPONSIBLE WHEN THE CHECK FAILS TO CLEAR, including criminal prosecution in some cases!
    scam often involves a 3rd party (shipping agent, business associate owing buyer money, etc)

I'm glad you posted the email test!!
    Thanks - kov
    Last edited by kov; 06-03-2006 at 02:26 AM.

Yes. Here is the email I recieved. I was selling a thinkpad (still am by the way folks!!!) and this person wrote the SAME LETTER YOU GOT offering me $1200 for it.

See below. PLUS SheHe denied it was a scam. I reported it nonetheless to craigslist

----Original Message Follows----
    > From: "Walex Jones"
    > To: "
    > Subject: RE: Thinkpad T43 FOR SALE PERFECT - $1050
    > Date: Thu, 08 Jun 2006 04:10:50 +0800
    >
    > Thanks for the response, I am very much interested in this item & i
    > will be paying you through AlertPay International Money order.So
    > for the payment to commence all i need from you is your full name &
    > your payment address where you want the money to be sent to by them
    > and you will recieve a confirmation of payemt immediately my
    > payment has been approved by them aslo and for me to be winnig
    > bidder i wil offer you($1200)for Thinkpad T43 so that we can end
    > the auction earlier.So for the shipping i will be responsible for
    > that,and i will be picking up the item with My personal fedex
    > account upon reciept of confirmation of payment order approved.So
    > get back to me on time with the information of payment order
    > approved.So get back to me on time with the information needed for
    > the payment to commence fast.Hope to read from you soonest.
    > Thanks..."

Judging from the grammar I suspect this is a foreign born or just an ignorant person trying this over and over again. Has someone investifated ALERTPAYINTERNATIONAL. What is THEIR deal with this cr*p.
    >

Yep..that's a scam!

For future reference, to avoid such unwanted emails, always indicate in your ad for whatever it is you're selling what payment options you'll accept (Paypal, $, Money Order or Cashiers Check) and that any other payment method will not be accepted.

You can also indicate something like:

"Local pickup only", or "Item shipped within Cont. United States ONLY".

This will then weed out those scam artists....or at least if you do get an email from one, as above, a simple reply like:

"Sorry, I only ship to buyers in the U.S., but thanks for the email!"

would suffice.

OneloneRogue

Is it just your full name and address they want? What do they do with it?