+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Bomb explodes outside MI5 HQ

Quote Originally Posted by thistle View Post
    And by that logic, the leaders of the IRA and all the other terrorist organisations in NI over the last 30 years could have been arrested overnight. But you cant arrest people and send them to jail because people know they are criminals, without evidence..
    But isn't the fact that RIRA are an illegal org evidence enough for prosecution, if anyone was found to be a member of that group?

If so, and their members are known, then arrest them, try them, and, if the evidence holds up, convict.

There are only 100 or so, after all.
    Every Saint has a past, every sinner has a future..

Quote Originally Posted by Yeah Well Fine Then View Post
    But isn't the fact that RIRA are an illegal org evidence enough for prosecution, if anyone was found to be a member of that group?

If so, and their members are known, then arrest them, try them, and, if the evidence holds up, convict.

There are only 100 or so, after all.
    Are you arguing minutia of policing terror groups with me, a layman in the West of Scotland?

Or are you arguing for arguments sake?

I'm sure you can see that members of prescribed groups are not arrested for being members of prescribed groups. They are arrested for their actions, which require evidence.

What evidence is there if I am a member of the IRA? You are. I'm not. You are free to go Mr. Thistle.

Quote Originally Posted by thistle View Post
    What evidence is there if I am a member of the IRA? You are. I'm not. You are free to go Mr. Thistle.
    Yes.

I understand that.

In which case, no one can justly then say 'RIRA have 100 members', can they?

Because there is no evidence.

Yes.

I understand that.

In which case, no one can justly then say 'RIRA have 100 members', can they?

Because there is no evidence.
    104? 106? 199? 299? No. Not precisely.

But the Republican community will know roughly. They will know those lads in that estate, that pub there, those people from over the border there, etc. Give or take, roughly X nr.

And the Republican community is now in coalition government, rather than fronting the terrorists. Of course they know roughly. Of course they dont know exactly.

I'll bet the British security services know who all the main players are.

And you are suggesting that now, after all this time, and all this blood spilled, that they are what...one happy clappy family, who have seen the error of their ways?

I don't think so.

I believe the mutual hate is bubbling away, just fine, under the surface.
    You sound... Paranoid?
    "I have never understood why it is considered "greed" to keep the money you've earned, but not greed to want to take somebody else's money"

- Thomas Sowell
    http://www.tsowell.com/

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleP View Post
    You sound... Paranoid?
    Not especially.

There will always be those who, against a sea of change, cling to their old and violent ways. The RIRA are a perfect illustration of this.

On the upside, as times move on, these people, and their thinking, it dies off, to be replaced by more tolerant, more tempered people.

See, even when the IRA was at it's height, never once did the UK consider it a good idea to conduct a blanket invasion of the ROI. Because to do that would have been helluva dumb. Right?

I'm an Irishman who lives in England. The entire Northen Ireland issue is so last century.

And for your information, the current 'real' IRA, are not the old 'real' IRA. Not just different people, but different ideals. They are basically the old codgers from PIRA (Provisional IRA)who have f*** all else to do now but cause a bit of trouble. It's only the media who decided to call them the 'real' IRA again. And besdies, no one in N.Ireland gives two hoots about them, they are criminals, not terrorists.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Man_from_Uncle View Post
    they are criminals, not terrorists.
    They are criminals and terrorists.

I don't think you can divide the two, since terrorism is criminal, by definition.

Imo..:

They are criminals and terrorists.

I don't think you can divide the two, since terrorism is criminal, by definition.

Imo..:
    You can separate them if they aren't terrorists. Anachists perhaps, but they don't represent any particular view point any more. They just hate the English, still have guns and only really know how to kneecap coppers. It's not like Arabian terrorists who have little training but strong beliefs. These are just angry old men.

I tell you what though, I do accept that this is only my opinion. The whole construction of 'terrorism' as a concept was never really defined as anything except 'the unforgivable enemy'. I mean, I think that ALL terrorists should be treated as criminals or enemy combatants, not this odd neither in nor out idea.
    Last edited by The_Man_from_Uncle; 04-13-2010 at 08:21 AM.

A car bomb has exploded outside a police station in Northern Ireland, injuring two people, days after the final formal steps for the peace process in the province were put in place.

The device blew up at the Newtownhamilton police station late Thursday night after a warning was telephoned to a Belfast hospital, police said.

A car bomb was defused at the same spot in the county of Armagh 10 days ago. The Continuity IRA, which opposes the peace process and last year killed a police officer in the bloodiest three days in Northern Ireland for more than a decade, claimed responsibility for that bomb.

A day earlier another republican group opposed to the peace process, the Real IRA, had detonated a bomb near the Northern Ireland offices of domestic spy agency MI5. The Real IRA shot dead two British soldiers last year, two days before the killing of the police officer.

The latest attacks were apparently timed to coincide with the transfer of police and justice powers from London and the appointment of Northern Ireland's first justice minister.

The moves are the last formal steps under a process, launched by a 1998 peace deal, that has resulted in self-rule for the province by a government representing both Republicans and Unionists.

Police said they were investigating reports of shots being fired before Thursday's bombing, which shattered windows and forced homes to be evacuated and residents to be put up in a high school.

"Those who planted this bomb want to drag Northern Ireland back to the dark days of murder and mayhem, they want to undermine the political process, they want politics to fail," said David Ford, the newly-appointed justice minister.

"I am determined that we will all continue to stand together so that they will not succeed," Ford, the leader of the non-sectarian Alliance Party, said in a statement.

Northern Ireland's political leaders, First Minister Peter Robinson and Deputy First Minister Martin McGuinness, a former IRA commander, also condemned the attack.

Analysts have warned that republican dissidents remain active, and police have said the risk of attack, chiefly on security forces, is severe.

Police said the two wounded people had been taken to hospital but their injuries were not believed to be life-threatening.

In a separate incident, a pipe bomb exploded outside a house in Coalisland in County Tyrone, shattering windows but injuring no one, police said.

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/22/20100423...b-ca02f96.html