+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Teenage girls are 'out of control'

Teenage girls are now more likely than boys to drink, smoke, steal and take drugs, a survey has shown.

In a disturbing confirmation of the spread of the 'ladette' culture, it found violence, aggression and self-destructive behaviour has spread alarmingly among girls over the past 20 years.

Are girls really more troublesome than boys? Tell us in the reader comments below

While boys appear less likely to be drawn towards crime or drugs than they were, psychological and social problems are stacking up among teenage girls, who are now expected to compete on equal terms with boys for educational opportunity and jobs.

The study of 14 and 15-year-olds was conducted by questionnaire, in schools under exam conditions, and the results compared with a similar one from 1985.

Professor Colin Pritchard, who led the research, said: 'Girls now significantly smoke and binge-drink more than boys. They truant, steal and fight at similar rates, and start under-age sex earlier than boys.'

He said binge-drinking, which was admitted by nearly a third of girls in their early teenage years, drove other anti-social behaviour such as stealing, fighting, taking drugs and engaging in risky sex.

'There is an element of following role models set by the media,' he said 'We can look back to the Spice Girls where girls were set an example in which aggressive behaviour was considered praiseworthy.

'It is also the case that girls are expected to behave differently today than they were in the past, and that has affected the of boys too.'

The study comparison found that the number of boys admitting to smoking has nearly halved to just over a quarter, while the number of girls who smoke has risen to nearly half. The number of girls who admit having smoked cannabis has gone up nearly fourfold, to one in five.

In 1985 around half of all boys and girls drank alcohol on a regular basis. Last year the numbers had shot up to 68 per cent of boys and an astonishing 85 per cent of girls.

Because researchers in the 1980s did not believe binge-drinking could be a problem among young teenagers, they did not include the subject in their questionnaire. But in the contemporary study, 15 per cent of boys and 29 per cent of girls defined themselves as binge-drinkers.

Girls were far more likely than boys to have had sex: 31 per cent against 17.

The research, produced by academics from the Institute of Health and Community Studies at Bournemouth University, suggested there had been improvements in behaviour among boys.

The number who admitted stealing had halved, as had numbers who were regularly in fights. Truanting was also down.

Professor Pritchard said: 'One thing we found among teenagers of all backgrounds was that those who said they liked school were the least likely to binge-drink, take drugs, or otherwise engage in bad behaviour. That is a challenge to schools and parents to make sure pupils are interested.' Martin Plant, professor of addiction studies at the University of the West of England in Bristol, said British teenagers were more likely to binge-drink than those anywhere else in Europe - and the problem was worse among girls.

His wife, and co-author of the book Binge Britain, Moira Plant, said many young women drink because it gives them a sense of power, and teenagers will often see drinking and even hangovers as a 'badge of honour'.

The relaxation of licensing laws has been criticised by some of Britain's most eminent scientists.

Professor Jonathan Montgomery, an expert in healthcare law, said alcohol was potentially more dangerous than tobacco, yet the Government was making it much more available with 24-hour drinking.

And Sir John Krebs, principal of Jesus College Oxford, attacked the marketing of alcopops specifically for young people. 'The Government has stood by and let that happen, whereas it wouldn't have accepted the alcopop equivalent of cigarettes targeted at children,' he said.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/liv...e_id=1770&ct=5

In my experience this is certainly true. Every year I see more and more young girls in town at night, makeup caked on their faces, miniskirts short enough to see their underwear, the foulest mouths I've ever heard, ducking off round the corner with different guys all the time...
    Their numbers are increasing and their age seems to be getting lower, to the point where it really disgusts me.
    All one has to do is look at their rolemodels (Paris Hilton and other such skanks) and shows they watch (America's Next Top Model is one that makes me want to kick the TV every time) and it's not hard to see where they get the idea that this behaviour is good.
    Last edited by SubJunk; 05-20-2006 at 04:28 AM.

Re: Teenage girls are 'out of control'

Your statement is all too true. Interesting that you haven't mentioned an actual age - I would say 12. It is a very big problem. I will disagree that Paris Hilton is any kind of "role model" - in fact, she's just a sad product of the phenomenon. In my experience - young girls do not admire nor emulate Ms. Hilton. She emulates the same behavior as the young teens - so, where does it come from? Again, you are right. The media - t.v., movies, music idols. But in reality - laying blame is a sad excuse for parenting. I base my claim on my own experience with my daughter this past year. At times, it has been akin to a wild animal "feeding frenzy" and, to my amazement, parents have actually fallen into the frey (on occassion, teachers, as well). It seems there are no limits. Bad behavior is somehow acceptable. Excuses (once considered to be a negative indication of your personality) abound.

SubJunk, once again, you have "brought to fore" an issue that needs to be addressed. I would love to meet your parents! ;)

WOW!! thanks for the tip!!i definately gotta get "OUT" more!?hehe!!i neeed some young thang/wild thang rejuvinatin if ya get my drift!?hehe!!burn the flag,hustle the F A G ,(another word for a woman)live on the front cover of the mag!?hehe!!america is GOOD!?hehe!!
    Last edited by lexx; 05-20-2006 at 11:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by linda49
    Your statement is all too true. Interesting that you haven't mentioned an actual age - I would say 12. It is a very big problem. I will disagree that Paris Hilton is any kind of "role model" - in fact, she's just a sad product of the phenomenon. In my experience - young girls do not admire nor emulate Ms. Hilton. She emulates the same behavior as the young teens - so, where does it come from? Again, you are right. The media - t.v., movies, music idols. But in reality - laying blame is a sad excuse for parenting. I base my claim on my own experience with my daughter this past year. At times, it has been akin to a wild animal "feeding frenzy" and, to my amazement, parents have actually fallen into the frey (on occassion, teachers, as well). It seems there are no limits. Bad behavior is somehow acceptable. Excuses (once considered to be a negative indication of your personality) abound.

SubJunk, once again, you have "brought to fore" an issue that needs to be addressed. I would love to meet your parents! ;)
    You're right about Paris, I mean she is a rolemodel for some but you're right that she is also a product of media influence and is not responsible for this new phenomenon.
    I also agree with you about the parenting; a lot of parents don't have the skills needed to deal with this media onslaught - nor, for some, do they have the motivation needed to.
    But I guess a good side-effect is that it is balancing out the boys.
    If I were to take a guess at the reason why the boys get better as the girls get worse, it would be that it's a social equilibrium trying to establish itself.
    The boys would see this behaviour and while some certainly encourage it because it creates more easy girls, others will revert to a natural male role which I believe is ingrained in our DNA.
    The role of taking care of females, being the alpha-male. As sexist as that term has been made to be over the past few decades, it does have it's uses.
    Okay I just had a flood of anthropological ideas that came too quickly for me to type, damn fingers... I think I'll write an essay some day soon about it.

Anyway thanks for the kind words Linda :)

Being a mother of two teenage and wild girls (thank goodness that by the time they reach 15 they start to settle down as long as a parent remains consistent and firm) I can relate.

One started at 11, she is now a regular church goer, has settled down tremendously (thanks to her boyfriend who isn't a wild child, the church did not contribute to the change) and my other will be 15 next month, she started at 13. But she has begun to show signs of settling down too.

I have found (also having a 25 year old daughter that did the same thing) that girls with stricter, more involved parent(s) come back around to sanity while those of parents who never enforce any punishments continue in their self destructive habits until society teaches them the error of their ways. Occassionally it takes both. But for those few years when they defy everything to do with authority, it's an exhausting ordeal. Ask me how I know? LOL

Namaste'

Lady Mod

Perhaps if everyone would consider females as EQUAL to males, these girls wouldn't be trying so hard to prove they are equal....

When they hear all the time that "it's a man's world", they are determined to prove that it is not.....

7. 05-20-2006, 05:37 PM

Reason
    Oops

Quote Originally Posted by Connecticut Victim
    Perhaps if everyone would consider females as EQUAL to males, these girls wouldn't be trying so hard to prove they are equal....

When they hear all the time that "it's a man's world", they are determined to prove that it is not.....
    OMG!!! CV,

I was just going to write, this same thing!!!

It is funny, how there is a "concern" that young girls are going "wild." But of course, when these same young girl, have rationalized performing oral sex, as *not really, engaging in sex*, in order to keep their BOYFRIENDS, no one seems to want to, talk about THAT.

When young girls, in junior high and high school, are suffering from abuse, from their BOYFRIENDS, are we doing research about that? Well, that particular subject, has not garnered, too much OUTRAGE (except from me, of course).

OH yeah, and the violent hazing that goes on in fraternities (I know, these are young adults....whatever. :rolleyes: ). Older boys, humiliating, just out of high school, college freshman, noooo, we cannot do "studies" about that. It is only, "rough housing" you know, boys will be boys. Until they become, sick, twisted, smarmy, deceitful, losers, that eventually become President.

And yes, lets not look at, why two high school BOYS, would shoot up their high school, and kill themselves. Could it have been, the relentless, mercilessly teasing, being shunned, and humiliated, treated as outcasts, noooo, let's NOT talk about THAT.

We must forget, about 3 BOYS, thinking they have the right, to rape an "exotic dancer," mainly because she was an exotic dancer. Because, well, girls are going WILD!!! :eek: She had it coming.... :mad:

So, let's rack it up, shall we.

Young girls:

Wearing too much makeup
    Abusing their bodies, with boys
    Abusing drugs, and alcohol
    Cursing and swearing, enough to beat, any sailor, freshly come ashore
    Vulgar and revealing clothing

Young boy:

Bullying the weak and frightened
    Rape
    Physical abuse
    Mass murder
    Suicide
    Sexual and physical intimidation
    Starting an unnecessary, illegal war

Hmmmm.... I wonder which is worse. Young girls abusing themselves, young boys abusing the world.

I think we need to, help both sets of young people. Maybe by giving them examples of decent, caring, honest adults. I think that might be a start. Pointing fingers, acting appalled, and shocked, does nothing to help the young.

:cool:

You hit the nail on the head, CV. They are just acting out what they see and hear. Songs refer to them as "hos". Singers refer to women and even their girlfriends as "b!tches". Often you will hear girls refer to each other as "hos", "b!tches" and "sl.uts". So don't blame the girls, they are just acting the parts that we have given them.

UN, DeeDee and CV I think it has gone beyond that now.
    Without a doubt it started with the feminist movement and your responses would've been right years ago, I think it's more than proving themselves as equal.
    They do have the male rappers calling them b!tches and hos, and this is part of it, but I think a bigger part of it is older sisters and older friends influencing them. It's gone from trying to prove themselves as equal to "just how it is"; it's just normal for young girls to display the kind of behaviour that is silly for either sex to display now.

As sojustask has pointed out, it can be just a phase, and that's fine we all go through these phases of acting out, but for many it can be impossible to break out of that phase, especially so for women. Why? Because men and women are not equal. Even if this was a world which treated women and men completely equally, we would still not all be equal because women can become pregnant.
    All the equal rights in the world will not change that fact, it's biological, not a manifestation of our society.
    So where teenage boys could easily go through the stage of being sh!ts and only a small percentage being stuck in that phase, with girls an early teenage pregnancy can trap them. There are of course those who get abortions but that poses risks of it's own; an abortion is psychologically troubling for women of any age but especially so for one so young.
    People get so caught up in proving that women and men are equal in every way that they forget about the things which make us different.
    An example of the differences between women and men are books like Men Are From Mars, Women Are From Venus. I have that book and it's helped me with relationship issues on many occasions by reminding me that men are different from women, and that 99% of relationship problems people face these days are caused by men treating women as men and women treating men as women. Not in every way of course, but subtle ways that really make differences. Those of you who have read this book or the others like it (there were a whole string of copycat books after it) will understand what I mean. By pointing out the differences in men and women that book has been widely successful, and it makes sense we do need to be reminded of our differences amongst the struggle for equality.
    The early feminist leaders didn't mean for everyone to be seen to be the same; you can be equal and different at the same time.
    For instance in my country our main human races are Maori and European. We are mostly all European but there are some Maori still, and they are very different to us. Their culture places value on family and spirituality much more than European culture does. Maori women are more genetically efficient at becoming pregnant. But it's possible to accept we have these differences and still treat eachother equally, and that's something I feel has been lost as the feminist movement progressed along.

Anyway we do live in a male dominated society - we have the Catholic church to blame for that unfortunately - and I am all for changing it. Men and women are not the same, we have many differences and predispositions that ensure we are not the same, but we are all equal.

I'm not sure how we can do anything to change this trend but it is a very worrying one indeed.

blindside Guest

Nothing can be done about this. The entire nations movement is to empower women, look at film and literature and oprah. By doing so, we are telling them to become powerful, and to be powerful you must compete with men. So to compete with men you must be sexually dominant and powerful and to do this they feel alcohol, drugs, and sex is the way to empower themselves over their male counterparts. (this is not intended in any way to be derogatory)

The want for equality and power and even dominance is being shown, its just the transformation from being submissive to being dominant, but it is happening in unhealthy ways.

Its really just the food in this country. We are feeding our children high fat and sugar foods from the day they are born. When the body is loaded with fats for females, the body assumes it is time to and capable of bearing children. Therefore, we see younger and younger development of puberty in females, and younger use of sex and drugs. You cannot blame the girls necessarily, they eat what they are given, are there bodies are developing far sooner than their brains and personalities, which is why the youth are all sullied and corrupted.

Stop feeding them mcdonalds, plain and simple.

Quote Originally Posted by sojustask
    Being a mother of two teenage and wild girls (thank goodness that by the time they reach 15 they start to settle down as long as a parent remains consistent and firm) I can relate.

One started at 11, she is now a regular church goer, has settled down tremendously (thanks to her boyfriend who isn't a wild child, the church did not contribute to the change) and my other will be 15 next month, she started at 13. But she has begun to show signs of settling down too.

I have found (also having a 25 year old daughter that did the same thing) that girls with stricter, more involved parent(s) come back around to sanity while those of parents who never enforce any punishments continue in their self destructive habits until society teaches them the error of their ways. Occassionally it takes both. But for those few years when they defy everything to do with authority, it's an exhausting ordeal. Ask me how I know? LOL

Namaste'

Lady Mod
    Hi Lady Mod,

You are a good Mother and that is exactly what is saving your girls. I'm going to critique you here and would like for you to tell me how close I am.. :)

1) You understand that your job is to raise disciplined, respectful, law abidding daughters and that in order to accomplish this, you cannot be their best friend when they are teenagers because they will totally take advantage of you.

2) You allow an ample amount of freedom as long as they do what is expected of them within the scope of trust they have earned - such as not breaking curfew or lying to you about where they are going or who they are with.

3) When they do break that trust, there is hell to pay - and you do not budge on their punishment once it has been handed out.

4) You encourage them more often than you criticise.

5) You make a point of telling them how important it is to respect themselves, and continuously instill a sense of self worth that builds their self esteem.

6) Your "door is always open", so they know they can talk to you about ANYTHING.

7) You defend them when they are wronged by others in authority.

8) You do not go around with blinders on, and are well aware of the things they can, and will, do. They are not Saints, and you are the first to acknowledge this.

9) You will take them to the doctor for birth control when they tell you they are contemplating becoming sexually active.

10) You demand that they take responsibility for their own actions, and do not accept excuses.

11) You love them with your whole heart - and they KNOW IT! :D

So... how did I do??

blindside Guest

as long as they do what is expected of them
    so what happens it they don't "do what is expected". Mabye the way one person thinks about life is not the SAME EXACT way their child will be. Expecting is what alienates parents from their children. Over bearing expectations and terrible thoughts of what may occur if they don't do everything that they have been told to.

Our children are not thinking for themselves anymore. When they are treated in a fashion that "expects" them to act a certain way, they will not. And to think that control is the only way to parent a child, is upsetting and sad for anyone who can only live and teach in this fashion. Our children will no think for themselves and neither will our grandchildren and so on.

By expecting you are suppressing the true identity of children

oh and birth control does not protect against any std's.

Quote Originally Posted by blindside
    so what happens it they don't "do what is expected". Mabye the way one person thinks about life is not the SAME EXACT way their child will be. Expecting is what alienates parents from their children.
    Please tell us that you ARE NOT a parent... because if you are raising a child with no expectations when it comes to their behavior, I feel sorry for your kid.

Over bearing expectations and terrible thoughts of what may occur if they don't do everything that they have been told to.
    Please tell me what is over bearing about expecting one's teenage daughter to obey curfew, go where she says she's going, and be with whomever she says she is going with?

Our children are not thinking for themselves anymore.
    They will if their parents teach them to.

When they are treated in a fashion that "expects" them to act a certain way, they will not.
    This is not true.

And to think that control is the only way to parent a child, is upsetting and sad for anyone who can only live and teach in this fashion. Our children will no think for themselves and neither will our grandchildren and so on.
    So you think they should just be allowed to do as they please?

By expecting you are suppressing the true identity of children
    By expecting you are teaching them responsibility and accountability for the decisions they make.

oh and birth control does not protect against any std's.
    I'm not sure what this has to do with the rest of this post, but, yes - that is true.

blindside Guest

i'm saying that parents should not expect their children to be exactly who they are. They are an independant human being just as you are. Parents often expect so much, they only think about how their children act and how its related to them.

Its selfishness that expects. Because, oh no, the worst thing that could happen is the neighbors or your friends hear about what your child did. That is why we are always suppressing our children, our own selfish desires. Children become objectified, we think they are "ours". They are our childrend but they are not "ours" they are not items that must do your bidding and live as you do. You may have created them, but they are not your object.(with all due respect)

Quote Originally Posted by blindside
    i'm saying that parents should not expect their children to be exactly who they are. They are an independant human being just as you are. Parents often expect so much, they only think about how their children act and how its related to them.

Its selfishness that expects. Because, oh no, the worst thing that could happen is the neighbors or your friends hear about what your child did. That is why we are always suppressing our children, our own selfish desires. Children become objectified, we think they are "ours". They are our childrend but they are not "ours" they are not items that must do your bidding and live as you do. You may have created them, but they are not your object.(with all due respect)
    You didn't say whether or not you are a parent. My guess is that you are not.

I am. I do not think of my kids as "objects", but they most certainly ARE mine - always have been - always will be. They are both adults now - 19 and 21 years old. Thanks to the way they were raised, both are respectful, responsible, law abidding human beings who are perfectly capable of making their own decisions - and I EXPECT them to remain that way throughout the rest of their life.

I think what you are missing here is the fact that I have always known that my kids EXPECT things from me too, of which I have done a damn good job of providing. It is not a one way street - it's give and take. And it's not easy, but it DOES WORK.

Are you serious? One bit of this is not even true. Most girls are influenced by one another to do the things they do. It is called "peer pressure" when they decide to drink or smoke. Kids don't start smoking or drinking out of no where. It starts from their friends or family. Girls doesn't get influenced to become wild because they want to be "equal." Girls are influenced by their peers and that is all. Movies, media, music, family, friends, etc. have a major influence in society today. Such as black males, they call each other "nigga"(Not being racist or anything; just using this as an example) because it is OKAY to do so. Snoop dogg, Dr Dre, their cousins, gang members, etc. say it to each other as if it was normal. They grow up to realize that it is OKAY. I don't know if you know this but there are kids out there who aren't even black and they call each other "niggas." It is like a "slang" for a "friend" or some sort. Now grab a white man and let that white man say "nigga" to a black man who he doesn't even know. Now I am just explaining the word "nigga" but it is an example because it is the same thing as influencing society. It is the fact that society makes it OKAY to say things like that and do things. It is the influence society put out there to make these kids say, "hey it's okay!" When it is not.

IT IS NOT EQUALITY!!!!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by TheForgottenMan; 05-21-2006 at 10:12 AM.