+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Uninspired..

Uninspired..

Another general election looms, here in the UK, to take place any time over the next few months.

Despite being interested in politics, I have not voted for over twenty years.

I appreciate that some may be critical for my not doing so, and that's fair enough.

However, when you are faced with a 'choice' which is a little like picking between your new best mate being either Ted Bundy or John Gacey, well, imo, it is sometimes better not to vote for (thus give open backing to), either.

When Blair took over Labour, he totally revamped them to be like a version of the Tory Party. What use is that to the electorate? It is bad enough having only two parties who are likely to win it, without those two parties becoming so indistinguishable that they are almost as one.

Of course there are some superficial differences, however, when it comes down to it, they are just pretending to be political opponents, it's all show, to make you think that you are being offered real and diverse choice. When it comes down to the nitty gritty though, often both parties are united.

The Tories would have won so much respect from me, and millions of others, if they had had the balls to stand up to Blair, pre Iraq, and actually question and challenge his thought process. I would go as far as to say that had they done this, my voting card would be coming OUT of my pocket, this year.

Of course, the Tories didn't do this, opting instead to act like sycophantic nodding dogs, while Blair pressed ahead with his dodgy dossiers, false intelligence, and dubious grounds.

If only one of those mainsteam parties would offer something real and radical.

I want to see a party who are committed to peace over war.

A party who do not waste police time and money chasing afer people for smoking a plant.

A party who make social welfare, education, and health their top priorities.

A party who are well respected enough that they could address the immigration issue, without it being seen as punative or racist.

A party which encourages enterprise, and who really want to help the long term out of work, perhaps by offering grants to those that establish their own small business.

Instead of that, what we get are soundbites, rhetoric, negative campaigning, and more of the same old thinking, rebranded under a new package.
    Every Saint has a past, every sinner has a future..

Re: Uninspired..

Quote Originally Posted by Yeah Well Fine Then View Post
    Another general election looms, here in the UK, to take place any time over the next few months.

Despite being interested in politics, I have not voted for over twenty years.

I appreciate that some may be critical for my not doing so, and that's fair enough.

However, when you are faced with a 'choice' which is a little like picking between your new best mate being either Ted Bundy or John Gacey, well, imo, it is sometimes better not to vote for (thus give open backing to), either.

When Blair took over Labour, he totally revamped them to be like a version of the Tory Party. What use is that to the electorate? It is bad enough having only two parties who are likely to win it, without those two parties becoming so indistinguishable that they are almost as one.

Of course there are some superficial differences, however, when it comes down to it, they are just pretending to be political opponents, it's all show, to make you think that you are being offered real and diverse choice. When it comes down to the nitty gritty though, often both parties are united.

The Tories would have won so much respect from me, and millions of others, if they had had the balls to stand up to Blair, pre Iraq, and actually question and challenge his thought process. I would go as far as to say that had they done this, my voting card would be coming OUT of my pocket, this year.

Of course, the Tories didn't do this, opting instead to act like sycophantic nodding dogs, while Blair pressed ahead with his dodgy dossiers, false intelligence, and dubious grounds.

If only one of those mainsteam parties would offer something real and radical.

I want to see a party who are committed to peace over war.

A party who do not waste police time and money chasing afer people for smoking a plant.

A party who make social welfare, education, and health their top priorities.

A party who are well respected enough that they could address the immigration issue, without it being seen as punative or racist.

A party which encourages enterprise, and who really want to help the long term out of work, perhaps by offering grants to those that establish their own small business.

Instead of that, what we get are soundbites, rhetoric, negative campaigning, and more of the same old thinking, rebranded under a new package.

Are you sure that you are not talking about our elections and what we want and what we get. lol