+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Landlord/Tenant Law-California

Question- Does anybody know if a landlord can charge you for cleaning inside/outside windows?

My landlord is sueing me fore not cleaning 14 windows & 2 tall patio windows that needed latters. They are charging me $250.00!

If i had known this was a issue, i would have cleaned it

Re: Landlord/Tenant Law-California

Quote Originally Posted by Cheryl Young View Post
    Question- Does anybody know if a landlord can charge you for cleaning inside/outside windows?

My landlord is sueing me fore not cleaning 14 windows & 2 tall patio windows that needed latters. They are charging me $250.00!

Do you have a lease, if so do you still have the paper work. See if it is written in anything that you signed that you were to do that or pay to have it done.

As far as I am aware, you pay a cleaning desposit when you rent an apartment. Why isn't he decducting this out of that deposit? (which then if you diagree with the amount, you can take him to small claims court-which is very cheap to file in) If you have been in the apartemnt a few years and the walls and carpet are not damaged but need cleaning/-repainting, you cannot be charged for that, because it is considered normal wear and useage. The apartment is supposed to be left in the same condition or close to it as when you rented it. If you did not clean the inside of the windows, you should have done that. You are not responsible to clean the outside of the windows as the outside of the building i.e. maintenece and cleaning is up to the property owner and their responsibility unless something different is specified in your lease/rental agreement.

How tall can these patio windows be in an apartment (on the inside) You couldn't reach them with step stool? At any rate, $250.00 is a ridiculous amount of money to be charged for cleaning windows. And you are not responsible to clean the outside of the windows, he is (unless this is stated in your lease).

I am guessing he is taking you to small claims court. He will have to produce a legit invoice from who ever cleaned the windows stating what they did and the cost. No sane judge is going to buy the $250.00 amount. You can get a whole place cleaned for much less than that.

It is always wise after you clean and vacate a rental, to take scads of good photos showing the condtition and cleanliness, (even inside the oven and frig and toilet) that you left the place in so that ridiculous claims are not made. Did you not have a final walk through with the owner or manager before you left? Always demand one of these and if they don't like something, you then have the choice of fixing it. Let us know how you make out.

The property is a 1850 sqft Home.
    I have pictures looking from in/out.
    I checked my lease and it does not mention windows at all. The Receipt copy that was sent did not have no name, address, ph# etc.
    However, I noticed the writing appears to be the Landlords writing...It notes, House Cleaning/Windows-inside/out on a Plain Blank Work Order showing they paid in Full w/the landlords Signature.

The patio window is Custom almost 8ft tall. I explained to the Landlord, what did the cleaning people clean. They said, if they had to list everything it could be several pages. The home is spotless, I lived their 6yrs!

I allowed them to keep my security deposit as last mo. rent, only because i was pissed when another renter who use to live in one of their other homes stated to me, that i may not get any money back..that person won small claims for the entire deposit as the Landlord kept it all with bogus claims...

And after the walkthrough, I was told by the landlord, don't expect to get half my deposit back! That's when i decided to tell them to keep the deposit as last mo. rent. My husband was furious!

Now they want the late fee, and if the agree to keep my deposit as rent, then i don't feel they should also claim a late fee because it was already secured...

I have over 45 pic showing the home in imaculate condition...

I feel I may win, but if i have to pay for outside Windows, I think they will have to prove it first - right.

I will like to see the cancel check or a bank stmt that shows they paid this much that day...

I was shocked when i got the bogus receipt in the mail. I told the landlord, that I didn't feel comfortable with what they are charging me & what did the cleaning people do.

She said, Oh, "we had to clean the Cabinet, Bathroom, Inside the kitchen drawers, Oh, their was just too much, I can't rent this place, it has to be to my expectation"
    I got pic for that too...I think the Landlord is being overly meticulas!:zx11pissed:

No judge is going to accept any hand written "bill", especially if it is in his handwriting. And yes they will want proof of payment as well. Tell him to take you to small claims court. Tell him you have spoken with a group who advised you on landlord tenant laws, just to scare him. Do not tell him anything, especially about the handwritten "bill". Let him show up in court with that b.s. Don' t give him the idea to try and phoney up a legit receipt. Do not give him any details at all or argue with him. Bring your lease agreement, your photos and any witnesses, (i.e.) your husband, friends, movers, whoever saw the condition of your rental when you left. He cannot nit pick bullshit either like cleaning the inside of a cabinet. He will be asked to produce photos also of what was "dirty" (before his cleaning) and what had to be cleaned. The judge will not just take his word either. If your security deposit did not equal a month's rent he can go after you for the balance owed and a late fee, and will collect those monies. Security deposits can never legally be used in lieu of rent. Ever. Also bring anything/everything that you have, letters, even an envelope with his handwriting on it, so the judge can make a comparison between his handwriting and the handwriting on his bogus receipt. Don't give any of this info/advice that I have given you on here, to him. Let him show up and make a fool of himself. You'll be fine.
    Last edited by put it out there baby; 03-28-2010 at 05:22 PM.

Awesome! Then I'm heading the right Direction as you said.
    I can get a couple of sworn statement from 3 neigbors too.
    Today, I was served for court April 26th. So when this is all done, I'll come back & update the results.

Everyone, I really apprecicate the support.

Oh, I just read in the California Consumer Affairs and i quote,
    "A landlord cannot routinely charge each tenant for cleaning carpets, drapes, walls, or "WINDOWS" in order to prepare the rental unit for the next tenancy" Instead, the landlord must look at how well the departing tenant clened the rental and may charge cleaning cost only if the departing tenant left the rental (or portion of it ) less clean tan when he/she moved in"

BAM! I think I'm going to be o.k.

You go, girl!

Quote Originally Posted by put it out there baby View Post
    You go, girl!
    sic him tiger

"And after the walkthrough, I was told by the landlord, don't expect to get half my deposit back! That's when i decided to tell them to keep the deposit as last mo. rent. My husband was furious!"

The whole point of a walkthrough inspection is to give the tennant a chance to clean or fix anything that the landlord claims needs to be done.
    So the tennant can't be charged after move out for anything not mentioned during pre move out inspection. If in 21 days after move out the tennant has not received a deposit refund or itemized list of cleaning cost. The landlord can be sued for $1000 (bad faith clause) plus any deposit owed plus court cost. Its clearly stated in the Cal. Tennant/landlord law guide.
    I was sued by a landlord in Civil Court (more formal than Small claims). I won against his lawyer! Then I sued him a year later when I moved. For keeping my deposit. I filed in Small claims and won again, as a plantiff this time. Good thing about Small claims is no lawyers allowed. Unless you want a lawyer to handle your case. Then file a limited Civil case. You get reimbursed for all your attorney fees and court cost only if you win. But you will pay the same if you lose.

Awesome! Then I'm heading the right Direction as you said.
    I can get a couple of sworn statement from 3 neigbors too.
    Today, I was served for court April 26th. So when this is all done, I'll come back & update the results.

Everyone, I really apprecicate the support.

Oh, I just read in the California Consumer Affairs and i quote,
    "A landlord cannot routinely charge each tenant for cleaning carpets, drapes, walls, or "WINDOWS" in order to prepare the rental unit for the next tenancy" Instead, the landlord must look at how well the departing tenant clened the rental and may charge cleaning cost only if the departing tenant left the rental (or portion of it ) less clean tan when he/she moved in"

BAM! I think I'm going to be o.k.
    Be aggressive with this, don't back down. I have several rentals, and there are issues with keeping a security deposit for payment, EVEN if you told him do. Laws always lean toward the tenants. I HAVE NEVER charged someone for cleaning windows.

Hello Scam Haters,

I have a court date for 4/26 & Today, I was able to put all the evidence together immaculately.

I'm so proud of myself. Can't wait to see the faces on the Lanlords!

4 Lies are caught & proof is in my Portfolio.
    Past Handwriting for the Bogus Receipts, Lie One.

Their statement about the cleaning people would have to use several pages to complete the receipt. Lie 2

How they had to clean a dirty house. I have 83 clean Pictures. Lie 3

And how i owe late fee. They wave their right & accepted the Deposit as last mo. rent, so it was secured. Lie 4 BAM!!!!!

They could have deducted cleaning, gave me back the bal & sued me for "UNPAID" rent...but they choose money over the "PRINCIPLE"...I'm learning ya'll....
    :judges:
    I'll keep ya'll posted.

As long as there is nothing in the lease about cleaning windows I don't see where you have a problem. One thing though, don't go in front of the judge and start calling the landlord a lyer. Just let your evadence speak for you and say, he said this, and this is what happened.

A lot of time a judge get's irritated by name calling and such.

Quote Originally Posted by carolinahound View Post
    As long as there is nothing in the lease about cleaning windows I don't see where you have a problem. One thing though, don't go in front of the judge and start calling the landlord a lyer. Just let your evadence speak for you and say, he said this, and this is what happened.

A lot of time a judge get's irritated by name calling and such.
    bump.......

o.k., i won't go name calling, your right. And i have a copy of my lease, and it does not say "anything" about windows. I will present that as well...

Man, I'm feeling really good..

Love my Scam Peeps...

Thanks everyone.

o.k., i won't go name calling, your right. And i have a copy of my lease, and it does not say "anything" about windows. I will present that as well...

Love my Scam Peeps...

Thanks everyone.
    Hey why not hang aroung after all is said and done and join our crazzy house here and have some fun.

Love my Scam Peeps...

Thanks everyone.
    I do wish you good luck and may you get a judge who's been skrogged by a landlord him or her self.

Let us know how it turns out.