+ Reply to Thread

Compassion:Ex-con Bobby, Roller Pigeons and Kids

All this talk about treating prisoners with or without compassion (re:Haiti: Animals Taking Over) brings me to this.

Here you have a former gang member and ex-con who has turned his life around and is giving back and showing compassion for those on the brink. I wonder how he was treated in prison; regardless he's in a good place today.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2010/...ent+America%29

"Wilson really thinks his pigeons have that much potential for change. Of course, what he doesn't realize is that the birds are inconsequential. It could be snakes or stamps and kids would still respond to the real catalyst for change here - a human being who's been there and cares".

LOS ANGELES, March 15, 2010
    At-Risk Kids Soar with "Roller Pigeons"
    Former L.A. Gang Member Makes Good by Taking Children Under His Wing With Unusual Hobby

(CBS) First thing Bobby Wilson tells visitors is please, do not pre-judge his pigeons.

"These are not rats with wings," Wilson said. "That's why I want you guys to see 'em perform."

CBS News correspondent Steve Hartman reports they're called Roller Pigeons - because once airborne, they roll like gymnasts in the Cirque du Poulet.

No one knows why they do it. They just do it. Roller Pigeon buffs like Wilson breed them to roll better and longer. They even have competitions. But that's a story for another day. Today we're focusing on how these birds are getting people to turn over - a new leaf.

"Once you get into these pigeons, man, it can save you," Wilson said. "I think it's better than religion."

He speaks from experience. He's now a Los Angeles music producer but once he was a gang member. He spent five years in prison and when he got out in 2007, he had two goals in mind - find something that would keep him out of trouble, and do something to make up for his crimes: two goals and one solution.

"I just love helping kids and with the pigeons I can get through to little young guys like him," Wilson said.

Before Wilson got him into pigeons, young Taisean was in freefall himself -- rolling headlong into the gang lifestyle.

"I was getting close to it, but with the help of Bobby, I avoided it," Taisean said.

Now he's planning on college instead.

How can a pigeon save a kid?

"Once you get in with these pigeons, feeding, watering and seeing to them, it's going to be too late to get into some trouble," Wilson said.

It just may be the most unconventional gang-prevention program in the country. Using donations and the some of the money he makes from selling his pigeon magazine, Wilson provides kids with the food, the pens, even the birds.

Each starter set comes with lessons and lifetime 24 hour assistance.

So far Wilson, now a music producer, has taken about 20 kids under his proverbial wing.

"Twenty kids that would be doing something else," Wilson said.

Wilson really thinks his pigeons have that much potential for change. Of course, what he doesn't realize is that the birds are inconsequential. It could be snakes or stamps and kids would still respond to the real catalyst for change here - a human being who's been there and cares.
    Click both daily for an easy & FREE way to help care for the needy:
    The Animal Rescue Site/charity
    http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/c...faces?siteId=3
    The Rainforest Site/charity
    http://www.therainforestsite.com/cli...gin=Sister_ars

Re: Compassion:Ex-con Bobby, Roller Pigeons and Ki

It doesn't say what his crime was, but we can probably assume it wasn't murder, rape or child abuse. So of course he deserved a chance and good for him for being salvageable.

Kids in gang nieghborhoods face particularly steep odds.

If only there were, you know, charter schools to give them a way out...

What? What's that? There are? There were? obama shitcanned them? Really?

------------------------------------------------------

I think my favorite story of this kind is about good 'ol mass murderer/gang member/leftist hero Tookie Williams.

His act was making children stories for liberals--that is, he wrote 'childrens stories' that liberals could coo over as they whined for his release.

He was executed.

Nope, that's it.

Last edited by pwrone; 03-15-2010 at 07:00 PM.
    There is not a truth existing which I fear
    or would wish unknown to the whole world."
    --Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by pwrone View Post
    It doesn't say what his crime was, but we can probably assume it wasn't murder, rape or child abuse. So of course he deserved a chance and good for him for being salvageable.

Kids in gang nieghborhoods face particularly steep odds.

If only there were, you know, charter schools to give them a way out...

What? What's that? There are? There were? obama shitcanned them? Really?

------------------------------------------------------

I think my favorite story of this kind is about good 'ol mass murderer/gang member/leftist hero Tookie Williams.

His act was making children stories for liberals--that is, he wrote 'childrens stories' that liberals could coo over as they whined for his release.

He was executed.

Nope, that's it.

i always say, it's better to be proud, than scared!? but god says, as you judge so shall you BE judged!? let's hope you pass!? :freak3: :spin2: :
    i do not endorse/recommend any advertising on scam.com associated with my name /posts or otherwise. thank you

Quote Originally Posted by pwrone View Post
    He was in prison for attempted murder, and his street name was Kill Kill. He was also a rapper and roller pigeon enthusiast prior to his incarceration.

Like they say in recovery circles: "If nothing changes, nothing changes"..

You can't be around old people, places, and things if you truly want to get better. They're all relapse triggers of the first magnitude. Doing otherwise is like betting against the outcome of an instant replay.
    Last edited by Charity begins at home; 03-16-2010 at 06:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Charity begins at home View Post
    He was in prison for attempted murder, and his street name was Kill Kill. He was also a rapper and roller pigeon enthusiast prior to his incarceration.

Like they say in recovery circles: "If nothing changes, nothing changes"..

You can't be around old people, places, and things if you truly want to get better. They're all relapse triggers of the first magnitude. Doing otherwise is like betting against the outcome of an instant replay.

Hmmm...'Kill Kill'.

Maybe his story is still in production, no?

I have heard that certain nicknames, particularly 'Kill Kill', are best not revealed during job interviews.

In this case, however, it is highly likely that his current gig- "rap producer"-- was obtained solely because of his colorful moniker, not despite it.

What a world.

Hopefully he won't want to kill anyone anymore...

The story you linked to is hilarious as written. Dig the wide-eyed idolatry!

Why liberals can't be allowed to decide criminal issues: "Ooooo...mister criminal...(giggling, batting eyes) what does it feel like to...."

Last edited by pwrone; 03-16-2010 at 05:05 PM.
    There is not a truth existing which I fear
    or would wish unknown to the whole world."
    --Thomas Jefferson