+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Top home-school texts dismiss Darwin.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/35740950...ews-education/

You can read article yourself. In short. There are 1.5M homeschooled children in US. 85% of them are from evangelical families and homeschooled because their parents do not believe in evolution. Book publishers know that and produce mostly religious-related books.

I do not know if there is a need for regulation for those book publishers. Religious children are not likely to go in Biology, Medicine, Archeology or any other science that is based on evolution.

LogicallyYours is offline Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings. User Rank

Re: Top home-school texts dismiss Darwin.

These bible-babblers are contributing to the dumbing down of America and are just too stupid to understand this. They claim to be all about knowledge and truth and yet, withhold both from their children.
    "Religion is a heavy suitcase: all you have to do is put it down."
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    "I have read the bible...more than once. I was not impressed nor was I so moved to give up my ability to think for myself and surrender my knowledge of facts for the unfounded belief in a mythical sky-fairy." - Me.

Quote Originally Posted by LogicallyYours View Post
    These bible-babblers are contributing to the dumbing down of America and are just too stupid to understand this. They claim to be all about knowledge and truth and yet, withhold both from their children.
    Let's see if I've got this right... when people complain that religion (pick one) isn't taught in public schools they are admonished to start their own school... or home school.

When they do... people complain they're teaching religion in schools. Right so far?

Wouldn't it be better for all if some group of "enlightened" individuals selected their entire curriculum for them?

(other than the basics which the state controls regardless whether you're a private/home school or not)

Quote Originally Posted by PaulM View Post
    Let's see if I've got this right... when people complain that religion (pick one) isn't taught in public schools they are admonished to start their own school... or home school.

When they do... people complain they're teaching religion in schools. Right so far?

Wouldn't it be better for all if some group of "enlightened" individuals selected their entire curriculum for them?

(other than the basics which the state controls regardless whether you're a private/home school or not)

Yes then we can be as "enlighten" and go around calling people names and being miserable. Sign me up!

Shouldn't biology including evolution be part of the basics?

Quote Originally Posted by thistle View Post
    Shouldn't biology including evolution be part of the basics?
    That would depend upon the state. Each state has their own guidelines for homeschooling.
    -----
    I was being sarcastic in my previous post. It appears there is just no pleasing some people.

Teach religion in schools... people complain. Start your own school or home school... the same people complain. Perhaps they think they are the "enlightened" few that should tell others what to teach?

IMO as long as the homeschool can meet or exceed the state guidelines they should be permitted to teach anything else they feel like... whether we agree with it or not.

In answer to your question... I wouldn't be surprised they teach the basics of evolution in biology... and then turn right around and say to the student that 'they were required to teach that. Now here's what we really want you to know...'

:yelcutelaughA: If ever there was an oxymoron, it is the term 'Christian Science'.

It has about as much value and merit as science fiction, which is fitting, for that is what it happens to be.

Ya see, as the world has become smaller, and people more educated, the theist puppet masters could no longer go on dodging science and small things like facts (remember them..?).

So, what does religion do? It accepts evolution, and attributes god to having started the process. Natrually, much like their original assertion, they have not a shred of evidence to support this, other than wishful thinking.

Religion should have no place in school - full stop.

To introduce religion to v young children, before their minds are well enough developed to challenge that which they are being fed, is little more than a form of child abuse.
    Every Saint has a past, every sinner has a future..

Quote Originally Posted by Yeah Well Fine Then View Post
    :yelcutelaughA: If ever there was an oxymoron, it is the term 'Christian Science'.

It has about as much value and merit as science fiction, which is fitting, for that is what it happens to be.

Ya see, as the world has become smaller, and people more educated, the theist puppet masters could no longer go on dodging science and small things like facts (remember them..?).

So, what does religion do? It accepts evolution, and attributes god to having started the process. Natrually, much like their original assertion, they have not a shred of evidence to support this, other than wishful thinking.

To introduce religion to v young children, before their minds are well enough developed to challenge that which they are being fed, is little more than a form of child abuse.
    BUT... IF the religion in question (take your pick... it doesn't matter) establishes and funds their own schools AND/OR their members opt to home school AND they meet all the criteria for state accreditation... they have the right to teach whatever they want.

Now you can come to a "full stop".

BUT... IF the religion in question (take your pick... it doesn't matter) establishes and funds their own schools AND/OR their members opt to home school AND they meet all the criteria for state accreditation... they have the right to teach whatever they want.

Now you can come to a "full stop"..
    Can they? I am not familiar enough with the requirement, to really say, but I will take your word for it.

Doesn't make it right or good, though.

The two young girls who fronted the duo Prussian Blue were 'home educated', and I suppose there mother wangled the criterea, but no prizes for guessing why she would choose to home school.

And then of course we have state funded faith schools.

Bollocks to that.

They should attend a school like anyone else.

Can they? I am not familiar enough with the requirement, to really say, but I will take your word for it.

Doesn't make it right or good, though.

The two young girls who fronted the duo Prussian Blue were 'home educated', and I suppose there mother wangled the criterea, but no prizes for guessing why she would choose to home school.

And then of course we have state funded faith schools.

Bollocks to that.

They should attend a school like anyone else.
    We're, obviously, talking about two different systems.

I agree... the state/gov should not fund private schools... no matter what their religious affiliation may be.

However, in response to the initial challenge made to the OP... home schooling can and does produce better educated students. I know some personally & they consistently surpass public school students in their test scores.

So... speaking from a U.S. perspective, my argument still stands...
    "IF the religion in question (take your pick... it doesn't matter) establishes and funds their own schools AND/OR their members opt to home school AND they meet all the criteria for state accreditation... they have the right to teach whatever they want."

I do not have problem with homeschoolers learning religion at home. But they are using creationist schoolbooks for science classes. Try to get in college with that kind of knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by BorisZ View Post
    I do not have problem with homeschoolers learning religion at home. But they are using creationist schoolbooks for science classes. Try to get in college with that kind of knowledge.
    They often don't or don't last very long.

As much as homeschooling may produce more achedmic students from my experience it does not produce more robust people. That can withstand the pressures of living away from home or vastly changing environments.

As many here and else where can attest. It is usually not the most knowledgeable that become leaders it is those who can adapt changing situations and work both in and to form a functioning group.

Of course this has been my experience. Others may disagree with me or have a more robust experience and I would love to here it.

Sadly I have been unable to find an Unbiased source for an opinion on homeschooling. What sources I have found were created by homeschool organizations, religions groups or business that sell to home schoolers. If they awknowledged the cons they were little more than straw man argumetns and did not address any of the actual broader issues.

All I know is that the average highschooler has had to deal with more social, economic and varying ideas in a single day than a homeshooler would get in a month hanging around family day in day out.

Quote Originally Posted by Spector567 View Post
    They often don't or don't last very long.

As much as homeschooling may produce more academic students from my experience it does not produce more robust people. That can withstand the pressures of living away from home or vastly changing environments.

As many here and else where can attest. It is usually not the most knowledgeable that become leaders it is those who can adapt changing situations and work both in and to form a functioning group.

Of course this has been my experience. Others may disagree with me or have a more robust experience and I would love to here it.

Sadly I have been unable to find an Unbiased source for an opinion on homeschooling. What sources I have found were created by home school organizations, religions groups or business that sell to home schoolers. If they awknowledged the cons they were little more than straw man argumetns and did not address any of the actual broader issues.

All I know is that the average highschooler has had to deal with more social, economic and varying ideas in a single day than a homeshooler would get in a month hanging around family day in day out.
    Absolutely! Home school may be able to produce an academically proficient person... but they will be socially deprived.

Quote Originally Posted by BorisZ View Post
    As far as getting into college... as long as the student can earn a decent SAT score... their in.

Last edited by PaulM; 03-07-2010 at 06:09 PM.

If parents are at home educating their children, rather than sending them to school, who is going to work?

Secondly, isn't it perhaps better for the mental development of the child to be educated alongside their peers?

Absolutely! Home school may be able to produce an academically proficient person... but they will be socially deprived.

As far as getting into college... as long as the student can earn a decent SAT score... their in.

Where do you get your information or data that they are socially deprived?

Well, the same could be said for most of what is taught in school by the very same logic. Example:

You shall wear a condom or carry a bunch in your purse just-in-case-the-idiot forgot to..... P.E. Class 101.:liefde:

( and yes, I meant wear it to the meet!?...that's right, two hours before any anticipated body contact.
    Just remember, like at the airport, come early unless it's international...then come even earlier. Comprendo? )

How's that for good c/abuse prevention education.
    Darwinian Facts...........1
    Religious Abstinence.... 0
    Last edited by MrSandman; 03-08-2010 at 11:18 AM.
    "Science adjusts it's views based on what's observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that belief can be preserved."

-Tim Minchin

I don't have the evidence to prove that God doesn't exist, but I so strongly suspect that he doesn't that I don't want to waste my time.

-Isaac Asimov