+ Reply to Thread

caranddriverfinancial - a scam?

First off, if this company is legit, I'm not trying to give them a bad name. Some things seem a little funny though:

We listed our car on *****slist a while back. We get a call from this company (Car and Driver Financial). Their business is connecting sellers with already-preapproved buyers. They tell me they already have a lot of inquiries on our particular model from buyers. For a one-time fee of $299 they will guarantee the sale of our car within 12 weeks for full-asking price.

Seems great, I wouldn't mind paying that much to guarantee full asking price. So before handing over credit card info I check out their website: www.caranddriverfinancial.com. It looks a little sketchy. For a website that's supposedly connecting many buyers and sellers from all over and taking important buyer financial information, wouldn't they have a page with a little more professionalism, and at least have a page of vehicle listings to view? Go to the loan page and click submit without entering any fields. It all just looks like a hastily created website.

I asked for a Buyer's login account so that I could get a feel for what buyers would be seeing when they see the ad for my car and they just send me this link:http://caranddriverfinancial.com/09027.html

I realize this isn't much to go on when accusing them of a scam, but there's a little more. On their Guarantee webpage, there is a BBB Online logo. So I check out the Better Business Bureau site and this company is not accredited by them (why would they have their logo then?). After searching BBB, it looks like www.caranddriverfinancial.com was only created in March 2010 as well.

Am I just too paranoid? Has anyone ever heard of this company? Like I mentioned earlier, I'd love to use this company's services, but something doesn't seem to add up here.

Thanks for the advice.

Re: caranddriverfinancial - a scam?

Whois CarAndDriverFinancial.com

ICANN Registrar:NETFIRMS, INC.
    Created: 2010-01-19
    Expires: 2011-01-19
    Updated: 2010-01-19
    I would bet it is a scam. Website is brand new. BBB seal is faked.

http://www.caranddriver.com/

is a rather famous name. they wouldn't need to put up a separate, fakey, flakey site with no security and fake BBB seal.

OrgName: Netfirms Inc
    OrgID: NETFI
    Address: 7030 Woodbine Ave.
    Address: Suite 800
    City: Markham
    StateProv: ON
    PostalCode: L3R-6G2

RAbusePhone: +1-416-661-2100
    RAbuseEmail: abuse@netfirms.com

somebody can call or write netfirms and ask if they really think their customer is "car and driver".

TOLL FREE: 1-877-630-9669

give her a call -
    Last edited by mumbles; 03-05-2010 at 04:54 PM.

I've paid the money and now waiting to see what happens, I figure between visa and paypal if something goes sour I can likely get my money back..

I haven't recieved any calls about the car yet but I hust posted it yesterday I keep you updated to the results

How can someone say 'scam' if they've just signed with them. After trying on my own unsuccessfully and spending hundreds of dollars over an eight month period, those people sold my 1989 Buick convertible in just 3 weeks, and I got top dollar for it.
    :yelcutelaughA:

good.
    happy you dropped by.
    you can answer these questions?

who are they?

where are they?

the address given seems to be just a mail drop.

http://www.merchantcircle.com/busine...n.360-693-8543

why are they using the famous name "car and driver" when they are not affiliated?

is it real brainy idea to send money to nobody@nowhere?

why do they not have security on the sign-up page?

do you realize that nobody should ever fill out a form like that without security?

http://www.caranddriverfinancial.com/loans.php

hi everyone - I'm kinda interested in this thread. My dad has just listed his car with them. What happened was this - He was advertising a car on Auto Trader, when he got a call from these guys (4 calls, actually). My dad thought he would take them up on their offer and so far has given them $500. My dad is not computer literate , so he asked me to upload some pictures of his car, which I did yesterday. The pictures went somewhere, even though they were way over the size limit. I tried to look at whatever ad they had and couldn't find any. My dad also tried to contact them today to see if they got the pictures, etc, and there was no answer from their number. I'll keep you guys posted, so far it doesn't look good.