+ Reply to Thread

Obama vs. Toyota

Yay for government taking over large chunks of the private economy!

Does anyone else find it highly coincidental that since the gov't took over GM, the safety police and media are cracking down on Toyota hard core?

At the same time GM has recalls out for about a million and a half cars and it is not mentioned.

GM is now ahead of Toyota in total sales for the first time in a VERY long time.

The "Pay Czar" limits compensation for executives now BUT has already written in an exception for GM which A- is unfair competition because GM can offer execs more than others and B- is ironic because as soon as Obama took over he kicked out the old CEO but is now paying him more than he made before as a "Consultant" working just 20 hours per week where as CEO he worked... a lot more hours than that.

GM has been trying to get back ahead of Toyota for decades - since the moment they lost the #1 spot to Japan. And now they have it again.

I am all for GM winning that competition. But this way...

Isn't that like a pro-golfer beating Tiger Woods because an agent went into Tiger's locker and damaged all of his clubs? A hollow victory to be sure.

This sage is not over yet. Government and their media puppets will milk this thing for all that it's worth.

Similar things are happening in the world of high finance but they are much more complex and don't make for good headlines.

Now that Obama is having secret meetings with pharmaceutical companies, insurance companies and unions I'm thinking that those groups are going to start getting sweat deals too. Oh wait - it's already begun.

What else are they willing to do to further their bizarro agenda? Might they even stoop so low as to use federal judge appointments as barter for the votes of congresspeople? Oh yeah - that's already happening too.

Where will it all end? I don't think it will. :spin2:

Re: Obama vs. Toyota

My friends in Japan tell me that the latest concerns in local news have to do with Toyota and many Japanese companies doing what America has done for a long time...

sending jobs to 3rd world pieces of shit.

Toyota didn't start having these problems until the late 1990's when they started shipping their parts needs to foreign countries in the quest for big profit.

Poetic justice?

I love it.

But the point was - no one is talking about the millions of GM recalls right now.

No congressional hearings on that.

Hell - recalls on various cars have been going on for a long time.

This is happening now because the US Gov now has ownership interest in GM.

At least, that's my theory.

And I don't doubt that at all Bobo.

The fool in Californing, an allready convicted of insurance fraud before, was 4 or 5 months behind on all his payments, including his car, actually had the same attorney as the guy who claimed he could make toyotas go out of control by changing the wiring...mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Toyota owners stormed dealerships all over the country last week demanding "fixes" for "defects" described in wildly inflammatory press reports.
    Toyota apologized for "defects" that to date are still being investigated. Before whatever problems might exist had been determined and before any "fix" has been found, the government ordered Toyota to begin the largest recall of vehicles in automotive history. Toyota then shut down its U.S. plants and stopped selling eight of its popular models, including Camry and Corolla.
    Toyota claims these actions were "voluntary," but Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood was quoted as saying the Obama administration had ordered the recall.
    The sales suspension affects about 56 percent of all Toyota and Lexus vehicles sold last year. The nation's Toyota dealers estimate they stand to lose $2.5 billion each month that sales of these popular models are suspended.

I hadn't even heard about the GM recalls until I read this thread! Unbelievable!

I have always had foreign cars because they are legitimately more reliable than American cars. When I heard about Toyota, I was really bummed b/c I was considering one of their SUV's as my next car. Although, now might be the best time ever to buy a Toyota (probably double or triple quality checking everything in production!).

But I did think the timing was "funny"...American car companies are going down the tubes, then all of a sudden one of the biggest foreign car companies has safety problems??? Well, that's one way to get American's to buy GM's, I guess!

LogicallyYours is offline Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings. User Rank

Quote Originally Posted by MrBobo View Post
    Yay for government taking over large chunks of the private economy!

Does anyone else find it highly coincidental that since the gov't took over GM, the safety police and media are cracking down on Toyota hard core?

At the same time GM has recalls out for about a million and a half cars and it is not mentioned.

GM is now ahead of Toyota in total sales for the first time in a VERY long time.

The "Pay Czar" limits compensation for executives now BUT has already written in an exception for GM which A- is unfair competition because GM can offer execs more than others and B- is ironic because as soon as Obama took over he kicked out the old CEO but is now paying him more than he made before as a "Consultant" working just 20 hours per week where as CEO he worked... a lot more hours than that.

GM has been trying to get back ahead of Toyota for decades - since the moment they lost the #1 spot to Japan. And now they have it again.

I am all for GM winning that competition. But this way...

Isn't that like a pro-golfer beating Tiger Woods because an agent went into Tiger's locker and damaged all of his clubs? A hollow victory to be sure.

This sage is not over yet. Government and their media puppets will milk this thing for all that it's worth.

Similar things are happening in the world of high finance but they are much more complex and don't make for good headlines.

Now that Obama is having secret meetings with pharmaceutical companies, insurance companies and unions I'm thinking that those groups are going to start getting sweat deals too. Oh wait - it's already begun.

What else are they willing to do to further their bizarro agenda? Might they even stoop so low as to use federal judge appointments as barter for the votes of congresspeople? Oh yeah - that's already happening too.

Where will it all end? I don't think it will. :spin2:

It will all end when you stop sucking the dick of Right Wing toolbags.
    "Religion is a heavy suitcase: all you have to do is put it down."
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    "I have read the bible...more than once. I was not impressed nor was I so moved to give up my ability to think for myself and surrender my knowledge of facts for the unfounded belief in a mythical sky-fairy." - Me.

Ok, a little background here first.

I live in a smallmidwestern city [pop. 9000] that is the largest town for about 60 miles in any direction.

2 years ago, we had Dodge, Ford, and GM [Chevy & Buick] dealerships here.

The Dodge/Chrysler/Jeep dealership was by FAR the most successful of the 3, due in part to police-equipped Chargers,municipal heavy-duty trucks, and this dealership had several state and county contracts for towing, repair,and etc. Towns from the area all bought thier vehicles here.

This dealership is now closed. Why?
    Not for losing money. If you saw the # of dodge rams around here, it would amaze you. They are sturdy, reliable, trucks that the local farmers love.

Also, a politician owns a Dodge dealership about 35 miles from here. While other "Mopar" stores closed, his is going stronger than ever.

Need I mention that he lives in Chicago, 70++ miles frommy town, he's also a crony of the Daley bunch?

Now,our local police cars have to be towed [by a competitors dealership, no less, more on that later.] to this dealership for service?

The owner of the dodge franchise, amazingly, was able to sell the cars for his invoice price back to Chrlsler Corp. ChryCorp even took the fixtures. Too Bad, the Charger clock would've looked cool in my garage, next to my '71 charger.

Ford.
    No warning, nothing.
    On a monday, it was business as usual. Sales, repair,etc.

Tuesday-a Fleet of car carriers showed up and removed EVERY new vehicle before lunch. People who had repair work done were phoned and told to pick up thier cars.

Wednesday---all Ford signage gone.

2 weeks later, independent repair shop opened garage, seed/farm store in showroom.

GM

Local owners, well known/liked in community, been there since 1920.[Same Family]

Was told by GM execs in 2008 to stay alive, better times are coming. Harbinger of Toyota-Gate?

Now has 3 new wreckers. AND municipal towing contracts.

Has 'bed-less', frame-only trucks in his lot now, like Dodge did. Maybe new municipal vehicle purchase contracts? I'd bet on it, as those trucks aren't really useful to the average person.

Supposedly, according to a mechanic who works there, they are ordering 3 new police package Impalas for fall delivery.

In other words, while Toyotas are crap, along with most other asain-made vehicles, I believe that the whole 'Toyota-gate' thing is a pre-planned effort to increase jobs/taxes/economy.

BTW, not really complaining [except for the Dodge closing, Gotta mail-order parts for my 71 440 now],but at least be up front about it.