+ Reply to Thread

Alarming Condition In Antartica

Not good news

SYDNEY An iceberg about the size of Luxembourg that struck a glacier off Antarctica and dislodged another massive block of ice could lower the levels of oxygen in the world's oceans, Australian and French scientists said Friday.
    The two icebergs are now drifting together about 62 to 93 miles off Antarctica following the collision on Feb. 12 or 13, said Australian Antarctic Division glaciologist Neal Young.

"It gave it a pretty big nudge," Young said of the 60-mile long iceberg that collided with the giant floating Mertz Glacier and shaved off a new iceberg. "They are now floating right next to each other."

The new iceberg is 48 miles long and about 24 miles wide and holds roughly the equivalent of a fifth of the world's annual total water usage, Young told The Associated Press.

Experts are concerned about the effect of the massive displacement of ice on the ice-free water next to the glacier, which is important for ocean currents.

This area of water had been kept clear because of the glacier, said Steve Rintoul, a leading climate expert. With part of the glacier gone, the area could fill with sea ice, which would disrupt the ability for the dense and cold water to sink.

This sinking water is what spills into ocean basins and feeds the global ocean currents with oxygen, Rintoul explained.

As there are only a few areas in the world where this occurs, a slowing of the process would mean less oxygen supplied into the deep currents that feed the oceans.

"There may be regions of the world's oceans that lose oxygen, and then of course most of the life there will die," said Mario Hoppema, chemical oceanographer at the Alfred Wegener Institute for Polar and Marine Research in Germany.

The icebergs, weighing 860 billion tons and 700 billion tons respectively, are located in water over the Antarctic Continental Shelf, Young said.

"We expect them to head west along the Antarctic coastline," he said.

Young said it was not likely they would reach as far north as Australia, and noted icebergs are very slow movers.

Oxygen levels being fed into the world's ocean currents are now changing "and the overturning circulation currents will respond to that change," Rintoul said. Observing what happens "will ... allow us to improve predictions of future climate change," he added.

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/science...tarctica_N.htm
    I'd rather have roses on my table than diamonds on my neck. ~Emma Goldman

Re: Alarming Condition In Antartica

Quote Originally Posted by peregrine View Post
    Not good news

SYDNEY An iceberg about the size of Luxembourg that struck a glacier off Antarctica and dislodged another massive block of ice could lower the levels of oxygen in the world's oceans, Australian and French scientists said Friday.
    The two icebergs are now drifting together about 62 to 93 miles off Antarctica following the collision on Feb. 12 or 13, said Australian Antarctic Division glaciologist Neal Young.

"It gave it a pretty big nudge," Young said of the 60-mile long iceberg that collided with the giant floating Mertz Glacier and shaved off a new iceberg. "They are now floating right next to each other."

The new iceberg is 48 miles long and about 24 miles wide and holds roughly the equivalent of a fifth of the world's annual total water usage, Young told The Associated Press.

Experts are concerned about the effect of the massive displacement of ice on the ice-free water next to the glacier, which is important for ocean currents.

This area of water had been kept clear because of the glacier, said Steve Rintoul, a leading climate expert. With part of the glacier gone, the area could fill with sea ice, which would disrupt the ability for the dense and cold water to sink.

This sinking water is what spills into ocean basins and feeds the global ocean currents with oxygen, Rintoul explained.

As there are only a few areas in the world where this occurs, a slowing of the process would mean less oxygen supplied into the deep currents that feed the oceans.

"There may be regions of the world's oceans that lose oxygen, and then of course most of the life there will die," said Mario Hoppema, chemical oceanographer at the Alfred Wegener Institute for Polar and Marine Research in Germany.

The icebergs, weighing 860 billion tons and 700 billion tons respectively, are located in water over the Antarctic Continental Shelf, Young said.

"We expect them to head west along the Antarctic coastline," he said.

Young said it was not likely they would reach as far north as Australia, and noted icebergs are very slow movers.

Oxygen levels being fed into the world's ocean currents are now changing "and the overturning circulation currents will respond to that change," Rintoul said. Observing what happens "will ... allow us to improve predictions of future climate change," he added.

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/science...tarctica_N.htm

It seems that man always wants to keep the status quo until he decides that he wants to change it. Nature has it's own ideas and will win out in the end. We had better wise up and let things happen the way they are supposed to.

Luxembourg? This is not a problem at all.

Quote Originally Posted by coolantarctica.com
    When the Antarctic sea-ice begins to expand at the beginning of winter, it advances by around 40,000 square miles (100,000 square kilometres) per day, and eventually doubles the size of Antarctica, adding up to an extra 20 million square kilometres of ice around the land mass.

That's one and a half USA's, two Australia's or 50 UK's worth of ice area that forms, then breaks up and melts each year.
    40,000 square miles/day. Luxembourg is about 1,000 square miles.

Every spring/summer 40 Luxembourg sized ice chunks fall off and melt each DAY.

I'd say this news article is a non-event. I will leave it to your imagination to determine why it was published or sensationalized at all.

Now ask yourself why people from the 16th century were able to make maps of Antarctica that are accurate in longitude within one minute when the ice shelves keep the coastlines and most mountains on that continent completely invisible to us today (save 4% of the land mass) but through seismic prospecting we can locate the land beneath the ice... as of about the last 50 years... so how were they doing it hundreds of years ago? Could it be because there was no ice there sometimes?

Even if those maps are copied from previous maps - lets say they are from the dawn of civilization, some 6,000 years ago. OK - no ice there 6,000 years ago. At that time was the sea level 200-210 ft higher than it is now? (Which is what scientists today estimate would be the case if Antarctica again became the tropical paradise that it once was.)

No, no it wasn't. Neither was it 200' higher any more recently than that.

There is simply a great deal that we think we know, which in reality, we do not.

Still, good science or bad, I'd like to see someone explain the correlation between man-made global climate change and the melting of polar ice caps on Mars.

I honestly think it would be fun to read.

That is not to say that I see this issue related to man-made global warming, but I do think that scam is the motivation behind making a big deal about some ice falling into the sea.

The earth has always warmed and cooled. It does that far more frequently than it remains constant. Does man have anything to do with it? More or less than plankton or trees or cows or dinosaurs or the sun or the moon of volcanic activity? I don't know. A tiny fraction of correlation? Maybe. Maybe not.

I just think it's nice to breath fresh air and drink clean water and see pristine nature. And I support helping those things to happen. The whole issue about our planet being a semi flame retardant baby that's on fire and man having the ability to douse those flames... it just makes me giggle - when the efforts we are making to put the fire out isn't making me cry.

And that's all I have to say about that.
    Last edited by MrBobo; 03-04-2010 at 09:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MrBobo View Post
    Luxembourg? This is not a problem at all.

40,000 square miles/day. Luxembourg is about 1,000 square miles.

Every spring/summer 40 Luxembourg sized ice chunks fall off and melt each DAY.

I'd say this news article is a non-event. I will leave it to your imagination to determine why it was published or sensationalized at all.

Now ask yourself why people from the 16th century were able to make maps of Antarctica that are accurate in longitude within one minute when the ice shelves keep the coastlines and most mountains on that continent completely invisible to us today (save 4% of the land mass) but through seismic prospecting we can locate the land beneath the ice... as of about the last 50 years... so how were they doing it hundreds of years ago? Could it be because there was no ice there sometimes?

Even if those maps are copied from previous maps - lets say they are from the dawn of civilization, some 6,000 years ago. OK - no ice there 6,000 years ago. At that time was the sea level 200-210 ft higher than it is now? (Which is what scientists today estimate would be the case if Antarctica again became the tropical paradise that it once was.)

No, no it wasn't. Neither was it 200' higher any more recently than that.

There is simply a great deal that we think we know, which in reality, we do not.

Still, good science or bad, I'd like to see someone explain the correlation between man-made global climate change and the melting of polar ice caps on Mars.

I honestly think it would be fun to read.

That is not to say that I see this issue related to man-made global warming, but I do think that scam is the motivation behind making a big deal about some ice falling into the sea.

The earth has always warmed and cooled. It does that far more frequently than it remains constant. Does man have anything to do with it? More or less than plankton or trees or cows or dinosaurs or the sun or the moon of volcanic activity? I don't know. A tiny fraction of correlation? Maybe. Maybe not.

I just think it's nice to breath fresh air and drink clean water and see pristine nature. And I support helping those things to happen. The whole issue about our planet being a semi flame retardant baby that's on fire and man having the ability to douse those flames... it just makes me giggle - when the efforts we are making to put the fire out isn't making me cry.

And that's all I have to say about that.
    Thanks for clearing that up...proves we can't always believe what we read!!!!!!
    I'd rather have roses on my table than diamonds on my neck. ~Emma Goldman

Propaganda is a everyday event in the zionist jews control Media, newspapers, magazine. It is everywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Hahaha View Post
    Propaganda is a everyday event in the zionist jews control Media, newspapers, magazine. It is everywhere.
    Yep. Watch out for those scientific journals. Don't believe a word they say. Listen only to anonymous posters on the internet with atrocious grammar. The truth will set you free.