+ Reply to Thread

The Ministry Of Enterprise.

There are so called 'enterprise agencies' here, in the UK, which are meant to help those who wish to establish a business, to do so.

In my own experience, they are pretty useless, most of what they impart you could find out on the net, and what use is a business 'advisor' who has never run a business? I would no sooner go to a karate instructor who had never gained experience of the practical side of karate.

There are some very creative and inventive minds in the UK, and yet, shamefully, they too often never get the chance to make their idea a reality, due to lack of backing and *******.

This is something I would do more to change.

Thus, the so named Ministry Of Enterprise, comprising of men like Sugar and Branson, both self made men, who didn't do especially well in academia.

We should be asking these men to seek out those with good ideas, then help them to make their ideas a reality.

After all, there is no bigger waste than unrecognised talent, and if we back those with good ideas, then they become potential employers, which, of course, helps the economy.

Let us also look to the unemployed, and see what talent is going to waste, there.

I am convinced that there are many talented people who, for one reason or another, presently find their talents dormant.

I am certain that they would embrace the chance to build something meaningful, by way of turning an idea into a business.

Sugar was given a 'business tsar' role by New Labour, however, this was more a cosmetic and gimmicky role, however it is far removed from what I am proposing.

Thoughts...:sun_smiley:
    Every Saint has a past, every sinner has a future..

Re: The Ministry Of Enterprise.

Quote Originally Posted by Yeah Well Fine Then View Post
    There are so called 'enterprise agencies' here, in the UK, which are meant to help those who wish to establish a business, to do so.

In my own experience, they are pretty useless, most of what they impart you could find out on the net, and what use is a business 'advisor' who has never run a business? I would no sooner go to a karate instructor who had never gained experience of the practical side of karate.

There are some very creative and inventive minds in the UK, and yet, shamefully, they too often never get the chance to make their idea a reality, due to lack of backing and *******.

This is something I would do more to change.

Thus, the so named Ministry Of Enterprise, comprising of men like Sugar and Branson, both self made men, who didn't do especially well in academia.

We should be asking these men to seek out those with good ideas, then help them to make their ideas a reality.

After all, there is no bigger waste than unrecognised talent, and if we back those with good ideas, then they become potential employers, which, of course, helps the economy.

Let us also look to the unemployed, and see what talent is going to waste, there.

I am convinced that there are many talented people who, for one reason or another, presently find their talents dormant.

I am certain that they would embrace the chance to build something meaningful, by way of turning an idea into a business.

Sugar was given a 'business tsar' role by New Labour, however, this was more a cosmetic and gimmicky role, however it is far removed from what I am proposing.

Thoughts...:sun_smiley:
    Sounds like the "Small Business Administration" here in the USA, which in and of its self is useless...

Why are they useless? Well, if you are relatively poor but have a great idea to start a business, if you go to them for *******, they want you to match what ever you want them to lend you. So if you want to borrow 25,000 to start a new business, they want you to match it. If these people had 25k in the 1st place they would not need the SBA....

Now... They advertise loans, etc... But it is not that simple... Unless of course you are a foreigner. Then, the rules don't apply to you... Simply go to them and you get put on their "minority" ******* list so they can brag about how much of an equal lending facility they are... No credit required, no history... Your not American? No worries!

This is why we have the plague of Conveinence stores, etc, poping up left and right... 6 months later new owners... Why? The current owners took that 50k loan and blew it, then jump shipped back to their home Country!

But if you are American... You are Fucked!
    "I have never understood why it is considered "greed" to keep the money you've earned, but not greed to want to take somebody else's money"

- Thomas Sowell
    http://www.tsowell.com/

Re: The Ministry Of Enterprise.

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleP View Post
    Why are they useless? Well, if you are relatively poor but have a great idea to start a business, if you go to them for *******, they want you to match what ever you want them to lend you. So if you want to borrow 25,000 to start a new business, they want you to match it. If these people had 25k in the 1st place they would not need the SBA....

Now... They advertise loans, etc... But it is not that simple... Unless of course you are a foreigner. Then, the rules don't apply to you... Simply go to them and you get put on their "minority" ******* list so they can brag about how much of an equal lending facility they are... No credit required, no history... Your not American? No worries!

While I agree that the enterprise agencies, and small business start up's are, imo, pretty ineffectual, I don't agree at all that if you are not native to the country, that you have the golden key handed to you, just like that.
    Every Saint has a past, every sinner has a future..