+ Reply to Thread

Federal Land % per state

Do you know how much of your states land is owned and controled by the Federal government? I had no idea that 49% of California is completey owned by the Feds. This includes the Dept of Interior (National Parks and the Bureau of Land Management), Dept of Agriculture's US Forestry Service, and all military bases. So the Feds are getting all resources, funds, and useage of about half my state. And its the best parts of the state ex: National Parks Sequoia, Yosemite, Lassen, Redwoods, Death Valley, and the entire Seirra Nevada Mountain Range.
    The reason I am bitching about this. 8 years ago I could go to my favorite desert OHV (off road vehicle) areas free of charge. Because there is nothing there. Not one toliet, maintained road, no facilities whatsoever. You park in the dirt off the main hwy and thats it! Camp and ride. 4 yrs ago the BLM decided they were going to set up a fee staion at all the BLM's OHV areas. First it was $20 a day to park in the dirt. Then $30. This weekend they now want $40 per vehicle to park in the dirt. While still providing not one service except a couple Federal cops to harrass and ticket riders, mostly kids. Just like you can't even drive on the hwy that goes through a National Park unless you pay the $30 toll. Thats even if you walk, bike, skateboard ..etc. Still $30.

Would this qualify for a government scam?

Re: Federal Land % per state

There are very simple reasons for this.

1)You have to pay people like park rangers and inspectors.
    2)If public area is free, it could be overused by people.

Quote Originally Posted by iamwil View Post
    I remember back in the 70's we'd go camping where ever we wanted in state forests, out in the desert, horses, four wheelers, whatever....even dredging for gold on the feather river for the summer...

My boss said...you won't be able to do that forever, very soon they'll tell you when and where you can camp and charge you a fee to set up camp or hike in the wilderness...

I laughed at him...

And it has already arrived.

Heck it arrived over 20 years ago...
    Its unbelivable how fast they came in and took over every sand dune, dry lake, salt flat, dry wash, and waste lands. They just fenced in the complete perimeter of El Mirage Dry lake. Forces everyone to enter the Southeast road and pay $40 to park.This is one of the smallest and boring places to ride dirt bikes. I hated going there for free. I hope that fence was worth it. This has only surfaced in the last 6-8 years. BLM owns more of Nevada than Nevada state does.

Quote Originally Posted by BorisZ View Post
    There are very simple reasons for this.

1)You have to pay people like park rangers and inspectors.
    2)If public area is free, it could be overused by people.
    Meanwhile we been going to these places with my dad since the mid 1970's with no fees, no baby sitters, and never a problem.
    Thats right public areas are supposed to be generally free. Do you pay to use the Beach or city parks? I never been charged to surf in the ocean or ski on any lake. These things are basics that taxes are supposed to cover. What are we paying sales and income tax for? What do you get for that? The right to live?
    To friggin bad if the waste land gets over used by OHV's. Thats why they designate OHV areas. They want everybody to stay in the little areas they provided.

Thats awesome "iamwill". At first I thought it was Dumont Dunes. But the second photo shows it's clearly somewhere I never been. We use the crud out of dunes in the winter. The summer winds reshape and repair good as new for next winter riding seasons.

well my friend

my friend,good post and spot it.