+ Reply to Thread

PLDT DSL is a SCAM!!!

If you are in the Philippines, and you intend to do business on the internet, whatever you do, DON'T RELY ON PLDT TO PROVIDE YOU WITH ISP SERVICE!!! This is true particularly so if you are a foreigner.

As an American myself who is married to a Philippines national, I have been in the Philippines several years now. I have been trying to do business from here with clients from all over the world while providing badly needed jobs for Filipinos who desperately need them. In my business, a reliable internet connection is absolutely crucial. Of course, this is true in any business that relies on its internet connection to make a living, but I have learned from PLDT through the PLDT DSL services they provide that the idea of "reliable" is entirely relative here, at least when it comes to PLDT's idea of the word.

I have been in my current location in Manila for about a year and a half now. During my time in this office, I must have called PLDT at least 2 dozen times. Each time, regardless of my concern, the answer is the same. Whoever I am talking to can't help me with anything and doesn't know anything, and they are going to "endorse the concern" to whomever does know what they are doing (that term is also apparently relative) and someone will contact me within whatever time they promise. To date, not one time has anyone in that company ever gotten back to me about any concern I have. Not once. Ever.

The problems I've had range from not being provided with the bandwidth I was promised to connectivity issues. Today's concern is over the fact that I have been dynamically assigned an IP address that has been blacklisted as a spamming IP address, so all of my email being sent out to clients and prospects are bouncing back to me. This has been going on for several weeks now, and my clients are getting more and more frustrated. Since no one at PLDT is apparently intelligent enough to address the concern, I've had to do my own investigation into the matter.

After several hours of my valuable time being invested into doing my own investigation (because PLDT refused to do so on many occasions, or lied to be about doing one only to do nothing), I learned that my IP address has been blacklisted by one of the blacklisting organizations out there. I verified the information I learned from my hosting company in the U.S. with two different websites which check such things, http://www.mxtoolbox.com, and http://www.network-tools.com. Armed with this information, I called the ever-incompetent customer service center at PLDT.

After speaking with some moron there who spoke almost no English, and knew nothing about anything except how to create a report on the matter, I asked to speak to a supervisor. I was connected with Jason Vecinal, who is likely not a supervisor at all, because he didn't know anything more than the previous guy did. According to Jason Vecinal, no one there knows where anything is around there, nor do they have access to anything. The issue of bad IP addresses is dealt with "in a different area", and can't even be addressed until some future time because no one is in the office right now. Since PLDT never does anything they say they will do, this answer was not acceptable to me, but no amount of insistence on my part or reasoning of any kind made any difference. I explained that until they solve this problem, my business is basically shut down. He said he understood that, but was not willing to do anything further on the matter other than what his computer screen was telling him to do.

Clearly, when you are stupid enough to believe the pack of lies a PLDT sales rep hands you and choose to do business when PLDT, you are nothing more than a piece of meat with a number on it. They don't care that their unreliable service is costing me money. They don't care that if my business shuts down, many Filipinos lose their jobs. The only thing they care about is whether or not I pay my bill on time.

When I was sold on using the PLDT DSL service, I was promised a reliable internet connection and responsive customer service. I have received neither. Once they got my money, any importance I had with them ended. I will lose more than $3,000 today alone from not being able to send email to clients. I'm sure there is probably some other way for me to get around the incompetence of PLDT and send email some other way, so instead of making money today, now I will be spending the rest of my day researching a way to work around the incompetence and sheer stupidity of people like Jason Vecinal and the rest of the clowns at PLDT DSL. PLDT's policy appears to be "over-promise and under-deliver", especially if you are a foreigner who is dumb enough to believe that these people care about customer service.

There is no worse "Bait & Switch" scheme out there than to be in a business in which people are relying on your for the success of your business, and then to fail so miserably at every other aspect of what you're supposed to do other than to collect your bill. However, this describes my experience with PLDT exactly, and no one at that company to whom I have spoken cares enough to do anything about it at all. Like I said above, I am nothing more than a piece of meat with a number on it to them, and as long as I pay my bill on time (even if it's for a service that is entirely sub-standard), they apparently just don't care).

In my years here, I have learned that part of the reason that these people just don't care is because they know that their competition is just as bad. So, rather than capitalizing on their competition's weaknesses by providing top-notch customer service, these people have apparently chosen instead to be just as bad as everyone else. So when choosing an ISP, the choices for Filipinos as well as visitors to the Philippines is not about who provides a better service, it's a choice of the lesser of several evils. How sad for the people here, who truly deserve so much better!

SO... BUYER BEWARE!!! Before you get on a plane to go to the Philippines with big dreams of doing business there, carefully consider my words. If you need a reliable internet connection in order to do business effectively, whatever you do, don't rely on PLDT DSL to provide it! Do yourself a favor and stay where you are! PLDT DSL is a ripoff, and will only let you down in the end, and no amount of complaining will ever do anything about it, unless you know someone at the senior-most levels of the company.

It's a sad day in the world when companies no longer care about the customer, but they day has apparently arrived. God help us all!

Re: PLDT DSL is a SCAM!!!

I heard that this was a problem in the Philippines. Very sad. I agree that the people of the Philippines deserve better.
    http://twitter.com/TrainTheK9

"If you help enough other people get where they want to go, you'll eventually get where you want to go" - Zig Ziglar

"Don't blame me! I voted for "None Of The Above!" - Me

Quote Originally Posted by TrainTheK9 View Post
    I heard that this was a problem in the Philippines. Very sad. I agree that the people of the Philippines deserve better.

Yes, sadly it is a problem. I could not be more outraged. No matter how hard I try, PLDT is just fine with putting obstacles in my way again and again. The only people who can do business here seem to be the ones with the "connections" with people at the senior levels of these companies.

PLDT is in the process of putting my out of business, and there seems to be nothing I can do about it other than to get on a plane and get out of here before I lose everything.

May God have mercy on these people!

Just an update for everyone considering doing business in the Philippines, or with PLDT DSL service.

It's been 24 hours since I started this thread. I've had no less than 7 different conversations with the ever-incompetent PLDT support people. They know my IP address is blacklisted. They know I want it changed. However, I still have the same blacklisted IP address. Apparently, not one of these idiots knows how to operate their DHCP server.

So far, I have lost more than $4,000 at the hands of the highly incompetent PLDT DSL service. I am still trying to find some way around the problem with my IP address, but so far, I haven't come up with anything other than just sending my clients email from a GMail account or something, which will most certainly make me look as unprofessional to my clients as PLDT looks to me.

The Philippines is a great country with very kind and courteous people. As individuals, they are just as capable as anyone else in the world of achieving success. However, for so long as the level of sheer unadulterated incompetence such as that consistently shown by the support people at PLDT DSL exists, the Philippines will always be a "third-world" country!

Again, if you are an American or other nationality thinking of running all or part of your business from the Philippines, I strongly urge you to heed my words! If you are coming here to retire and want nothing else to do with the rest of the world, the Philippines is a good place to do it, for as long as you have enough money coming from abroad to get what you want here. However, if you intend to make money here, be prepared to trip over this kind of incompetence at every turn. Whatever you do, be sure to avoid PLDT DSL AT ALL COSTS!!!

God save the Philippines from the stupidity at PLDT!

New PLDT DSL SCAM update as of 10:15 AM Wednesday, 2/10/2010

I still have this blacklisted IP address. Same S***, Different Day.

Someone from PLDT called today. They claim to have "changed a port" yesterday in hopes of that change causing my IP address to change. According to them, it's physically impossible for me to have the same IP address once the port is changed. Clearly they don't know what they are talking about, or they are lying about making the change, because my IP address remains the same, and it remains blacklisted.

I asked several different times in several different ways why nothing else was done after they allegedly changed the port. She had no answer. PLDT obviously doesn't care that I have now lost more than $4,000 at the hands of their incompetence, and the costs continue to rise. Email isn't going through. More and more clients are getting upset. And PLDT is still taking their own sweet time. They don't care, and they don't care that they don't care. It's only PLDT. What can I expect? :madgo:

WOW! This sounds like it's really a big problem! This whole PLDT Scam thing looks like it's really killing you! My suggestion: If they are really that incompetent over there, then you need to stop kicking a dead horse and return to the good ole' USA! Our president it doing everything he can to ruin our country, and he may tax you out of business anyway, but at least you won't have that kind of incompetence to deal with! It sounds like PLDT is really too incompetent to ever rely on.

Thank God for American competence!
    Last edited by TrainTheK9; 02-10-2010 at 12:15 PM. Reason: I forgot something...
    http://twitter.com/TrainTheK9

"If you help enough other people get where they want to go, you'll eventually get where you want to go" - Zig Ziglar

"Don't blame me! I voted for "None Of The Above!" - Me

PLDT SCAM BAIT AND SWITCH UPDATE 02/11/2010

In spite of the fact that the incompetent losers at PLDT say that my PLDT DSL account is on a dynamic IP address, somehow, after more than 72 hours, I am still on the same IP address. I have spent several hours on the phone with at least a half dozen people most of whom are trying to sell me an "upgrade" instead of being willing to just go to their DHCP server and remove the blacklisted IP address from their pool until they can get it taken off the blacklist.

Meanwhile, two more clients of mine are now asking for their money back. There is another $2800 per month taken away from my business by PLDT. Clearly, the PLDT SCAM continues. If I were in America or any other civilized country where competence matters, it would be law-suit time. However, I am in the Philippines, where they have the best judges money can buy, so a law suit here would be pointless. It would just boil down to who has more bribe money in the end, and sadly PLDT has more money than I do. I'm sure they are able to save a lot of money by hiring incompetent losers who don't know anything rather than people who actually know what they are doing.

Apparently I am going to have to go down to PLDT tomorrow and show them how to operate their own equipment. We'll see.

The Philippines deserves better than this. The people of the Philippines shouldn't have to deal with such incompetence. As angry as I am about PLDT destroying my business, what I feel more than anything is sadness and pity for the people of the Philippines. PLDT makes SO MUCH MONEY off of their customers. Don't those customers deserve some kind of competence in the customer service department or in their IT support?

If I lose any more customers, I am really going to have no choice but to shut down. PLDT is ruiing everything I have built in the 5 years I have been here. How can anyone who depends on PLDT do business in the Philippines when a PLDT Ripoff is apparently what they are going to experience???

Perhaps the saddest part of this mess - as bad as things are for me - is that I can always just go home. Sure, my business is all but ruined now, and it will take me several years to rebuild it and salvage my reputation, but at least I have the option of starting over in another country. Most people here in the Philippines don't have that option. They are stuck here to deal with this kind of incompetence. And, if they were duped into signing a contract with PLDT, or they live in a building in which PLDT is the only allowed (a common practice here), they are REALLY screwed! God save the Philippines from the incompetence of PLDT!

Hey, I just read your rant about PLDT. Boy oh boy what a disaster you must have been in. Sad to say, I'm afraid you will be counted as one of those nameless person that PLDT will never bother to worry about. You see that's the beauty of having this call centers. Having this phalanx of problem-gatherers (not problem-solvers, mind you) puts a screen between us poor subscribers and the powers that be of PLDT. Those people up there, they don't care about us stupid suckers. The idea is for us not to be able to relay our complaints(vent our ire?) to the top honchos because their time is too valuable to waste for us lowly subscribers.

In my case it took PLDT almost 4 months to repair my line. But you know what, there's a way to get around those call nowhere agents, err call center agents. Use Google my friend and look for the email addresses of their bosses. Good luck and let me know of your progress.

Am so freaking frustrated with PLDT, for several lame ... reasons:
    1. Their call-center agents and the people who manage them have no customer concern or any orientation on that matter.
    2. Their field service technicians are so freaking arrogant and non-technical in their own field.
    3. Their billing department is so .... up that they wouldn't know if payment details are correct and they need to verify the matter like more than a week to right numbers.
    4. A lot more incompetencies lies after ...

End is if your residing in the Philippines there are a lot of options for online business or online means its just choose them wisely. And the biggest company here which is PLDT still connects to old ma Bell as their international back-bone.

Quote Originally Posted by psychophat View Post
    Am so freaking frustrated with PLDT, for several lame ... reasons:
    1. Their call-center agents and the people who manage them have no customer concern or any orientation on that matter.
    2. Their field service technicians are so freaking arrogant and non-technical in their own field.
    3. Their billing department is so .... up that they wouldn't know if payment details are correct and they need to verify the matter like more than a week to right numbers.
    4. A lot more incompetencies lies after ...

End is if your residing in the Philippines there are a lot of options for online business or online means its just choose them wisely. And the biggest company here which is PLDT still connects to old ma Bell as their international back-bone.
    WOW! Do you have any other options other than to put up with that nightmare of a company? Sounds like they are really incompetent.
    "Get what you can while you can" - Heidi Walker | Heidi Walker Images From Google

First off you are a moron. Why on earth do you live in a NONENGLISH SPEAKING country then complain that the people there DO NOT SPEAK ENGLISH??

Second, unless you are hosting an email server in your home (it is obvious from your rant that you are too stupid to do such) then your email originates from your email provider. In your case that is undoubtedly AOL. it is your email provider that has been banned as a spam machine NOT YOUR HOME IP ADDRESS.

Third, in as much as you are a cheap bastard you bought the cheapest router you could find and now you are surprised that your internet connection is flakey, like you...

You say you have lost $4,000.00 as a result of PLDT's service. I ask you what kind of idiot would continue to use the service you describe when a quick search on google showed me that there are at least 6 other ISP's in the Philippines.

You sir are an idiot and a poster child for birth control if ever there was one.