+ Reply to Thread

sojustask is offline The Late, Great Lady Mod - Retired User Rank

The Dairy Disaster

The Dairy Disaster: Milk Does Not Do Your Body Good
    by: Allison Biggar, citizen journalist
    http://www.naturalnews.com/028111_milk_dairy.html

From celebrities sporting milk mustaches to former horror queens touting the benefits of yogurt, the dairy industry spends billions of dollars on advertising in attempt to brainwash the public into believing that "milk does a body good." The truth is that too much dairy can cause obesity, cancer, heart disease, allergies, diabetes, and even osteoporosis.

Calcium is essential to good health and can be found in a plethora of plant sources such as broccoli,
    cabbage and spinach. The dairy industry has led us to believe that we can only get the calcium we need from their dairy products. "There`s no best source of calcium," says Robert Heaney, Professor of Medicine at the Osteoporosis Research Center at Creighton University School of Medicine. "The sheer quantity of calcium in dairy products certainly makes them attractive sources, but they have no monopoly on calcium. There`s no reason in the world why you couldn`t get an adequate intake from a vegetable source."

Casein, a protein present in milk, causes minor to severe allergies in many people resulting in hives,
    stomach pains, bronchitis, bloating, and even asthma. In actress Alicia Silverstone`s recent book The Kind Diet, Silverstone recalls growing up with bronchitis three or four times a year; she was on regular allergy medication and relied on an inhaler for her asthma. It wasn't until she gave up dairy that her allergies went away. "Very soon after becoming vegan, I stopped experiencing allergies or any asthma-type symptoms, " says Silverstone. "They just disappeared."

No other species drinks the milk of another species. Drinking the milk of another mammal may even cause osteoporosis- the very disease it is touted to prevent. "When we have babies, we breastfeed them, and then at a certain point, we stop," explain Skinny Bitch authors Rory Freedman and Kim Barnouin. "It is exactly the same for cows and every other mammal on the planet. They produce milk when they give birth, they feed their young, and then they stop. We are the only species on the planet that drinks the milk of another species. We are the only species on the planet that drinks milk as adults. Why? Because the multi-million dollar dairy industry has convinced us that we need milk for healthy bones. However, Yale researchers found that countries with the highest dairy and meat intakes also suffer the highest osteoporosis rates."

Milk is pasteurized in order to remove unhealthy bacteria, but this process also removes the nutritional value of the milk. Milk pasteurization destroys digestive enzymes and even doubles the amount of harmful bacteria. During pasteurization, enzymes like lactase, galactase, and phosphatase are destroyed. Without these enzymes, milk is especially difficult to process in our bodies, especially since the human pancreas cannot always create these enzymes on its own. When the pancreas is overtaxed diabetes and other diseases may occur.

Recombinant Bovine Growth Hormone is a genetically engineered hormone that is given to cows in order to increase their milk production, thus increasing the profits of the dairy industry. Bovine growth hormone (rBGH) accelerates the development of IGF-1, a hormone that is not eliminated in pasteurization or digestion. IGF-1 and rBGH increase cell division which can lead to breast, prostate, or colon cancer. When we drink milk we are increasing our risk of cancer. Think of it this way, if a cow`s life is shortened by 20 years when injected with BGH, what could that do to your life?

Freedman, Rory & Barnouin, Kim. Skinny Bitch. Old Saybrook: Tantor Media, 2007

Silverstone, Alicia. The Kind Diet. Philadelphia: Rodale Press, 2010.www.all-creatures.org, "How Milk and Dairy Products Will Destroy Your Health and Cause Cancer, Heart Disease,
    Diabetes, Multiple Sclerosis, Allergies, Osteoporosis, and Infection`" http://www.all-creatures.org/health...

Re: The Dairy Disaster

It all comes back to the Dairy Association.
    (I've never seen a cow drink human milk)

i never saw a cow order anything at burger king, either. you ask a cow, hey, you want fried chicken or steak tonight? they don't answer.

japanese americans that eat our american diet, are as tall and heavy as other americans. when i was in japan, milk (and steak) was rare and expensive. most people survived on rice everyday, and a little fish when they could afford it. the average japanese person was much shorter and lighter than the average american. i have always assumed the difference was the cow's milk fed to american children.

The Dairy Disaster

I have been an animal rights vegan since 1984. If I could, I would outlaw breeding of animals for food, outlaw animals in the wild from eating each other, and feed us all with biosynthesized meat. Too bad I cannot at this time.

And, I fully support War for Animal Rights: force those who want to torture and murder animals to die for THEIR stupid cause.

But, that doesn't mean I believe all the health crap about veganism. Sure, it does SOME good. But, there is nothing any of us can do about cancer.

Quote Originally Posted by ecordy75 View Post
    I have been an animal rights vegan since 1984. If I could, I would outlaw breeding of animals for food, outlaw animals in the wild from eating each other, and feed us all with biosynthesized meat. Too bad I cannot at this time.

And, I fully support War for Animal Rights: force those who want to torture and murder animals to die for THEIR stupid cause.

But, that doesn't mean I believe all the health crap about veganism. Sure, it does SOME good. But, there is nothing any of us can do about cancer.
    how the hell do you plan on stopping wild animals from eating eachother? a wolf tries to eat a deer and your there shooing it away? its the natural order of things; animals eat animals. not saying anything about humans eating animals/meat and dairy but wild animals NEED to eat eachtother. wtf dude. its the way things are. people are a diff case...

As a life long memeber of PETA (People for the Eating of TASTY Animals) I disagree.

ANY food in massive amounts is bad. People need to learn moderation.

We are calving right now. The JOY when a calf is born/first stands/ drinks. And some want to KILL ME??? The sleep/work I do for those animals. Have pulled more then one calf in the cold/rain and worked to keep it alive (and sometimes failed)

To read ecordy75... WOW. I hope you get help before you hurt someone. If you don't want to eat meat thats YOUR decision. You threaten me (and my vocation) with your LACK OF KNOWLEDGE.... Enjoy the kool aid.

I like me some steak! I do I do I do.:spin2:

Who the hell doesn't? I think their lying to themselves.

Vegetarians should start their newborns on the 'diet' right away.

Self solving problem.

:freak3:
    Wishing will not make it true.