+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 32 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast

Haiti: Animals Taking Over

We need more troops and the death penalty for rapists there. Now. Just shoot them in the ing face and move on to the next one. This teeming shithole is an oasis for animals. Not that it wasn't before--rape became illegal in 2005. Hmmm...why was it always a shithole?

Haitian women become crime targets after quake

By PAISLEY DODDS

Bernice Chamblain keeps a machete under her frayed mattress to ward off sexual predators and one leg wrapped around a bag of rice to stop nighttime thieves from stealing her daughters' food.

She's barely slept since Haiti's catastrophic earthquake Jan. 12 forced her and other homeless women and children into tent camps, where they are easy targets for gangs of men.

Women have always had it bad in Haiti. Now things are worse.

"I try not to sleep," says Chamblain, 22, who lost her father and now lives in a squalid camp with her mother and aunts near the Port-au-Prince airport. "Some of the men who escaped from prison are coming around to the camps and causing problems for the women. We're all scared but what can we do? Many of our husbands, boyfriends and fathers are dead."

Reports of attacks are increasing: Women are robbed of coupons needed to obtain food at distribution points. Others relay rumors of rape and sexual intimidation at the outdoor camps, now home to more than a half million earthquake victims.

A curtain of darkness drops on most of the encampments at night. Only flickering candles or the glow of cell phones provide light. Families huddle under plastic tarps because there aren't enough tents. With no showers and scant sanitation, men often lurk around places where women or young girls bathe out of buckets. Clusters of teenage girls sleep in the open streets while others wander the camps alone.

The government's communications minister, Marie-Laurence Jocelyn Lassegue, recently acknowledged the vulnerability of women and children but said the government was pressed to prioritize food, shelter and debris removal.

Aid groups offer special shelters for women and provide women-only food distribution points to deter men from bullying them. But challenges are rife more than three weeks after a 7.0-magnitude earthquake killed an estimated 200,000 people and left as many as 3 million in need of food, shelter and medicine.

Women who lined up for food before dawn Saturday said they were attacked by knife-wielding men who stole their coupons.

"At 4 a.m. we were coming and a group of men came out from an alley," said Paquet Marly, 28, who was waiting for rice to feed her two daughters, mother and extended family. "They came out with knives and said, 'Give me your coupons.' We were obliged to give them. Now we have nothing _ no coupons and no food."

Aid organizations set up women-only distribution schemes because they trust the primary caregivers to get that food to extended family, not resell it.

"We've targeted the women because we think it's the best way to get to families," said Jacques Montouroy, a Catholic Relief Services worker helping out Saturday. "In other distributions when we've opened it up to men, we found that only half of the men would do what they were supposed to with the food."

Soldiers from the U.S. 82nd Airborne Division out of Fort Bragg, North Carolina, guard many of the streets around the distribution points, but they can't be everywhere all the time.

Aid workers say they've been staging elaborate decoy operations to draw men to one area while food coupons are given to women in another. Each of the 16 daily distributions throughout Port-au-Prince presents its own security challenges, Montouroy said.

"The coupon distribution has been hellish," he said, explaining how crowds of men swarm around the women.

Even if the women successfully make it back to the camps with their 55-pound (25-kilogram) bags of rice, that doesn't mean their worries are over. Some camps are even providing special protection for women, with tents where they can receive trauma counseling or be alone to breast-feed and care for young children.

"My sister died in the earthquake, so now I have to take care of my three daughters and my sister's two," said Magda Cayo, 42. "I try to keep them close but I see lots of hoodlums looking at them. We're all nervous. It's no good."

Women have long been second-class citizens in Haiti. Continued...

http://townhall.com/news/world/2010/...ts_after_quake

There is not a truth existing which I fear
    or would wish unknown to the whole world."
    --Thomas Jefferson

Re: Haiti: Animals Taking Over

i wonder if the lights went out(no power) in america for any length of time we'd see this same stuff happnin!? in some areas anyway!? : :spin2:
    i do not endorse/recommend any advertising on scam.com associated with my name /posts or otherwise. thank you

Quote Originally Posted by lexx View Post
    i wonder if the lights went out(no power) in america for any length of time we'd see this same stuff happnin!? in some areas anyway!? : :spin2:
    It did happen in New Orleans after the hurricane, can't say it was to the extent that is happening in Haiti, but I was there for a month working and heard all kinds of reports in the news

Watch this brilliant video from Charlie Brooker, especially from 2:38 in.

The news media was desperate to portray Haiti as descending into violence. This latest article represents the latest in that series.

Of course terrible things happen in desperate situations. But to try and suggest, or imply, that this is a Haiti specific problem (colour & race related??) is, well, sickening.

But pwrone, we expect nothing less of you, at least.

Its worth noting, in the interests of fairnes, that Brooker makes the point that Fox news actually had some of the best fairest reporting, see 6:00 in.

~In summary, is reporting these attacks reasonable? Of course. Is it reasonable for pwrone to preface the article with things like "This teeming shithole is an oasis for animals."? You decide.
    Last edited by thistle; 02-07-2010 at 04:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by thistle View Post
    The news media was desperate to portray Haiti as descending into violence. This latest article represents the latest in that series.

Of course terrible things happen in desperate situations. But to try and suggest, or imply, that this is a Haiti specific problem (colour & race related??) is, well, sickening.

Its worth noting, in the interests of fairnes, that Brooker makes the point that Fox news actually had some of the best fairest reporting, see 6:00 in.

~In summary, is reporting these attacks reasonable? Of course. Is it reasonable for pwrone to preface the article with things like "This teeming shithole is an oasis for animals."? You decide.
    Great post!

Yes once again PEE man is trying to convince everyone this is strictly a ‘Black’ problem, meaning of course that god fearing white folks would never stoop to this level. This alone expresses a deep seated prejudice and ignorance of history.
    After every natural or man made disaster a sequence of events follows almost as predicable as rain falling from the sky.

I have read extensively on the history of the subject from the Johnstown Flood to The Great San Francisco Earthquake to current disasters. One thing that is almost a certainty ; chaos and crime will replace the crumbling of established order.

Here is a fine example from the past where the looters and criminals were those god fearing white people PEE man considers to be a higher form of human life.

6,000 PLUS Dead

Sunday the 9th of September saw the day break sunny and hot, and the thought of 6,000 plus corpses decomposing in the heat, made the survivors decide to haul the corpses to sea on barges. The tragic cargo was carted to the 12th street wharf, loaded on barges and hauled out to sea. Most were never identified, but the fact that looters were savaging the bodies, cutting off fingers for the gold rings and ears for ear rings. One looter was found to have 23 gold rings with fingers still attached, stuffed into his pocket. Some 30 odd looters were arrested and most were executed without fanfare.

http://www.ask.com/bar?q=google&page...=1265552484255

SPECIAL REPORT ON THE GALVESTON HURRICANE

OF SEPTEMBER 8, 1900

On September 8, 1900, the greatest natural disaster to ever strike the United States occurred at Galveston, Texas. In the early evening hours of September 8, a hurricane came ashore at Galveston bringing with it a great storm surge that inundated most of Galveston Island and the city of Galveston. As a result, much of the city was destroyed and at least 6,000 people were killed in a few hours time. The following is the account of Isaac M. Cline, the senior Weather Bureau employee present at Galveston, of the events leading up to the storm, his personal experiences in the storm, and the aftermath. The horror of Galveston is only partly described in this work. He was probably somewhat still in shock when he wrote this report as he lost his wife when his house collapsed during the storm and virtually all of his possessions. In a later biographical work, he referred to the shooting of hundreds of looters by vigilantes in the aftermath of the storm and the cremation of hundreds of unknown storm victims who otherwise would have decomposed where they lay. This particular report is excerpted from the Monthly Weather Review for September, 1900.

http://www.ask.com/bar?q=google&page...=1265552484255

Watch this brilliant video from Charlie Brooker, especially from 2:38 in.

FUCK YOU and Fuck PSB while you are at it.

Where in the world do you get race and colour from it? Is it just because you are a ing liberal and automatically default to "racist" when ever you don't LIKE a story?

Of course it is? Not really even trying anymore, are ya?

This is a 'Haiti issue' to the extent that a) it is happening in Haiti and b) rape has been legal there until a few years ago. Think that MIGHT contribute to the issue, you ing child?

My twofold point was pretty simple. I thought.

More troops, kill rapists.

You could have made the point that the quake knocked down the main prison there, but you don't know enough to do that and you would rather just yell "racist" anyway.

And I will rephrase and reiterate the other point that seems to have incensed you: If rape is legal in a place, that place will be a shithole.

Any idea of the kind of place that exists on the very same island? No?

I wonder if rape is legal there?

--Thomas Jefferson

Pwrone

I agree Haiti needs some major change.
    The change needed now is to use force. Our military would be the only logical choice. Haiti it's self is not equipped to handle their situation with crime. Or for that matter anything going on there right now.

I think the only way to solve the problems of theft and rape right now is to use force. Shoot them if they resist or are carrying weapons. Jail them if possible.
    I have to say their situation is so grave it does seem to just kill the savages seems the thing to do.

What happens with Haiti and if they are going to recover and become a country that can be a success is going to take some drastic measures and they have to be taken sooner not later.

Even though just shooting someone sounds cold this country is out of control with savages that are trying to take over and stop the help the good people of Haiti need and deserve. These men raping, killing and stealing food have to be stopped.

Quote Originally Posted by pwrone View Post
    FUCK YOU and Fuck PSB while you are at it.

Where in the world do you get race and colour from it? Is it just because you are a ing liberal and automatically default to "racist" when ever you don't LIKE a story? .
    Nice try pee man but that bit of drivel is not going to fly here with people that have seen you in action for years.
    Your theme song has been one of bigotry and racism not so cleverly disguised as righteous indignation.

Quote Originally Posted by Phinnly Slash Buster View Post
    Nice try pee man but that bit of drivel is not going to fly here with people that have seen you in action for years.
    Your theme song has been one of bigotry and racism not so cleverly disguised as righteous indignation.
    You're an idiot.. Where the hell did you pull Racism out that??? If you are not familiar with Haitian politics and what has been going on there pre quake, don't answer a thread as ignorant as you just did, you make yourself look even more dumb then you may be...

If you had known, you would Know what Pwrone is talking about....
    "I have never understood why it is considered "greed" to keep the money you've earned, but not greed to want to take somebody else's money"

- Thomas Sowell
    http://www.tsowell.com/

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleP View Post
    You're an idiot.. Where the hell did you pull Racism out that??? If you are not familiar with Haitian politics and what has been going on there pre quake, don't answer a thread as ignorant as you just did, you make yourself look even more dumb then you may be...

If you had known, you would Know what Pwrone is talking about....
    I think people know exactly what pwrone is talking about.

HeyDP, do I object to the article? No, I have no problem with articles detailing longstanding problems in Haiti. Creepy that people start talking about them now though, but still, its not unreasonable.

If, say, a reasonable person posted such an article, maybe with a title and preface which itself was reasoned and articulate, fair enough.

But read the title and preface for this article by pwrone, and try and tell yourself this isnt hysterical opportunism - I dare you.

If the driving force behind that opportunism isnt racism, its certainly a disdain and even disgust with the people of Haiti. Why? Are Haitians all bad? Are some Haitians bad? Are some Americans bad?

We're all the same. I think Ive said it before. We are all the same. Americans, Iranians, Brits, Australians, Chinese etc etc....

HeyDP, do I object to the article? No, I have no problem with articles detailing longstanding problems in Haiti. Creepy that people start talking about them now though, but still, its not unreasonable.

If, say, a reasonable person posted such an article, maybe with a title and preface which itself was reasoned and articulate, fair enough.

But read the title and preface for this article by pwrone, and try and tell yourself this isnt hysterical opportunism - I dare you.

If the driving force behind that opportunism isnt racism, its certainly a disdain and even disgust with the people of Haiti. Why? Are Haitians all bad? Are some Haitians bad? Are some Americans bad?

We're all the same. I think Ive said it before. We are all the same. Americans, Iranians, Brits, Australians, Chinese etc etc....
    Sometimes it takes a tragedy to see what a Country has been hiding... Rape in that Country has been a major problem for decades... Anyone committing rape is exactly what the OP said... An Animal.

This is what happens when IaGovernment turns its back on Crime for so long..... Now the stories get out and people are appalled? Now??

I don't think its racist at all, in fact unless you pointed it out I would never have linked it... To me it seem Pwrone has a major issue with rape.... I am with him there....
    "I have never understood why it is considered "greed" to keep the money you've earned, but not greed to want to take somebody else's money"

- Thomas Sowell
    http://www.tsowell.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Phinnly Slash Buster View Post

LOL

Nice try, moron, but people who have been here for any length of time know that you rarely contribute ANYTHING but finger-pointing at other posts. Posts from members that have a POV and are not afraid to state it.

Are you referring to my posts about the mass baby-raping in Africa? Yes. I am also against baby-raping, especially in order to cure disease.

A coward and a liberal. How unusual...

--Thomas Jefferson

You are as bad as the rest of your liberal ilk, sans the bad language.

You struck me as a more thoughtful fella, but when my suggestion of more troops and the death penalty for rapists leads you into the "racist" retort, with--naturally--no opinion on the topic, well...what CAN we conclude?

I am also in favor of the death penalty for white folks who commit these crimes. White folks, green folks, blue folks, Americans, Iranians, Brits, Australians, Chinese, martians...

Why wouldn't I be?

Just say you don't agree. It's okay. We know.

--Thomas Jefferson

You are as bad as the rest of your liberal ilk, sans the bad language.

You struck me as a more thoughtful fella, but when my suggestion of more troops and the death penalty for rapists leads you into the "racist" retort, with--naturally--no opinion on the topic, well...what CAN we conclude?

I am also in favor of the death penalty for white folks who commit these crimes. White folks, green folks, blue folks, Americans, Iranians, Brits, Australians, Chinese, martians...

Why wouldn't I be?

Just say you don't agree. It's okay. We know.
    Hey, full force of the law, whatever the law is in each country. Rapists deserve everything they get.

Once again, I have no problem with the article as such. It's you and your use of the article.

Lets look at your involvement here, shall we? The title, written by you:

Not true, the article isnt suggesting "animals taking over". A serious problem, but not "taking over". That would, I dunno, suggest you think the majority are rapists in Haiti. "Taking over". See what I mean? Misrepresenting the article. Why do that pwrone? Hmm.

And the preface, also written by you:
    We need more troops and the death penalty for rapists there. Now. Just shoot them in the ing face and move on to the next one. This teeming shithole is an oasis for animals. Not that it wasn't before--rape became illegal in 2005. Hmmm...why was it always a shithole?

Wow. More killing, again. And yes, I am against killing anyone. "shoot them in the ing face"? Really?

But the piece de resistance : "This teeming shithole is an oasis for animals". Nice. You hate these people, dont you? (I mean the Haitians, not rapists.....)

Hey, full force of the law, whatever the law is in each country. Rapists deserve everything they get.

Once again, I have no problem with the article as such. It's you and your use of the article.

Lets look at your involvement here, shall we? The title, written by you:

Not true, the article isnt suggesting "animals taking over". A serious problem, but not "taking over". That would, I dunno, suggest you think the majority are rapists in Haiti. "Taking over". See what I mean? Misrepresenting the article. Why do that pwrone? Hmm.

And the preface, also written by you:

Wow. More killing, again. And yes, I am against killing anyone. "shoot them in the ing face"? Really?

But the piece de resistance : "This teeming shithole is an oasis for animals". Nice. You hate these people, dont you? (I mean the Haitians, not rapists.....)

I don't see what you mean.

Did you read the article? Are animals taking over when women can't leave camp to GET FOOD? WTF?

Did animals take over in Bosnia?

Again, allowing rape leads to animal-like behavior, like...rape.

Look, you can't be helped.

I see that.

--Thomas Jefferson

I don't see what you mean.
    Really?

Again, its not the article - its your attempt to misuse articles for your own agenda. Like any about Muslims, same thing. You use real problems to paint a picture which may lead the gullible to believe ALL people in whatever group or country are the same.

Its called propaganda. Taking something that in itself is true, and misrepresenting it in order to spread division and even, yes, hatred.

Did animals take over in Bosnia?
    Good comparison. Are you saying that animals took over in Bosnia? Are you trying to suggest the majority of people in Bosnia started raping and killing?

Maybe you are.

Maybe you are suggesting the majority in Haiti are like that.

But its always a minority. The same as rape, murder, and other crimes in US. People are people. You are no better than the people in Haiti, even though you obviously think so.