+ Reply to Thread

Congress wants to change the Internet

Change the Internet

Re: Congress wants to change the Internet

"Universality is essential to the Web," says ITS INVENTOR, TIM BERNERS-LEE. "It loses its power if there are certain types of things to which you can't link."

I thought Al Gore invented the internet?

Hello People,

If it is OK with Iron Horse, Iwould like to share some additional information. :)

I have been paying some attention to this topic. While I have said many times, I have no real use for the Internet, but the attempt, to curb free, and unlimited access to information, is an extremely bad trend. Curbing, limiting, or moderating, access to any kind of information, bodes ill for a free, informed, and healthy society.

Somethings to think about:

What's at stake?

Decisions being made now will shape the future of the Internet for a generation. Before long, all media — TV, phone and the Web — will come to your home via the same broadband connection. The dispute over Net Neutrality is about who'll control access to new and emerging technologies.

On the Internet, consumers are in ultimate control — deciding between content, applications and services available anywhere, no matter who owns the network. There's no middleman. But without Net Neutrality, the Internet will look more like cable TV. Network owners will decide which channels, content and applications are available; consumers will have to choose from their menu.

The Internet has always been driven by innovation. Web sites and services succeeded or failed on their own merit. Without Net Neutrality, decisions now made collectively by millions of users will be made in corporate boardrooms. The choice we face now is whether we can choose the content and services we want, or whether the broadband barons will choose for us.

What is network neutrality?

Network Neutrality — or "Net Neutrality" for short — is the guiding principle that preserves the free and open Internet.Net.

Neutrality ensures that all users can access the content or run the applications and devices of their choice. With Net Neutrality, the network's only job is to move data — not choose which data to privilege with higher quality service.

Net Neutrality is the reason why the Internet has driven economic innovation, democratic participation, and free speech online. It's why the Internet has become an unrivaled environment for open communications, civic involvement and free speech.

Who wants to get rid of Net Neutrality?

The nation's largest telephone and cable companies — including AT&T, Verizon, Comcast and Time Warner — want to be Internet gatekeepers, deciding which Web sites go fast or slow and which won't load at all.

They want to tax content providers to guarantee speedy delivery of their data. They want to discriminate in favor of their own search engines, Internet phone services, and streaming video — while slowing down or blocking their competitors.

These companies have a new vision for the Internet. Instead of an even playing field, they want to reserve express lanes for their own content and services — or those from big corporations that can afford the steep tolls — and leave the rest of us on a winding dirt road.

The rest at link.

On this subject, I think we need to make our voices heard. Here are some links, that can make this subject a little more clear.

What we can do, to save the Internet

A good interview with Professor Bob McChesney, on Democracy Now. Professor McChesney co-founder of Free Press. He is a professor at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. His has written several books, including: Rich Media, Poor Democracy: Communications Politics in Dubious Times.

Interview with, Professor Bob McChesney.

The website:

Free Press

This is absolutely repulsive. If they do this everyone who relies on the net for access to virtually unlimited, varied sources of information is f.ucked.

How could we go about defeating this? Do you know where to get more information?

Quote Originally Posted by USNavySubSailor
    "Universality is essential to the Web," says ITS INVENTOR, TIM BERNERS-LEE. "It loses its power if there are certain types of things to which you can't link."

I thought Al Gore invented the internet?

President Gore never made any such claim. You Monkeys are so laughably pathetic with your tired, infantile and incredibly hackneyed little smears and cheap shots. That's all ya got so enjoy it while ya can.
    Last edited by dchristie; 05-10-2006 at 09:13 PM.

6. 05-10-2006, 11:29 PM

Thank you for posting the links DeeDee

Quote Originally Posted by dchristie
    President Gore never made any such claim. You Monkeys are so laughably pathetic with your tired, infantile and incredibly hackneyed little smears and cheap shots. That's all ya got so enjoy it while ya can.
    You really crack me up sometimes. You're calling me tired and infantile? Hahahahahah. So you must be the opposite of tired and infantile? What would that be? Refreshing and mature? Here is just a small sample of some of your refreshing and mature posts:

"I wonder how many of these low-down, filthy, right-wing commie rats who are still hopelessly wallowing in their pathological cesspool of Clinton mongering "

"Cheney's daughter, Mary, is making the rounds on the TV talk show circuit to talk about her life as a lesbian slu.t"

"why the fvck isn't this slot lapping pig in Iraq with those other 2 degenerate Bush wh0res Jenna and Barbara"

"These sub-human, GOP Monkeys"

"Grim is a very effective spokes-monkey"

"Why don't you live up to your moniker and try me, b!tch?"

"Trying to salve over the embarrassment you and your other low-life, right-wing, commie rat pals"

"Funny how dumb right-wing monkey lemmings are. I have more respect for a colony of germs on my toilet bowl than I do them."

Very mature and refreshing. And speaking of tired, your use of "monkey" is getting really old and boring. I thought you self-proclaimed smart guys could do better than this?

And you say thats all I've got huh? Well, actually, I've got a lot more than you do. Let me tell you about it. I've got a great job, doing something I really love. I imagine you hate your job. You're probably the one *****ing all the time at work. You're probably so bad that no one there wants to be around you. I love my family. They're the reason for my success. You probably resent yours. You blame them for all your failures. I have lots of friends, from many different backgrounds. You can't stand being around people who are different than you. You are so judgemental that no one wants to be your friend. I'm happy to wake up every morning, curious as to what the day will bring. I have faith that everything will work out okay. I know its going to take work, but eventually we'll get it right. You don't have faith in anything, as a matter of fact, you probably despise faith. I know you despise anyone that has faith! You probably lie in bed at night with the blankets over your head so scared that the bombs are gonna drop any second that you never get any sleep. You probably dread getting out of bed in the morning. You know how crappy your day is going to be. You champion the poor, not because you care about them, because you think "at least someone's life sucks more than mine!" I don't mind being wrong from time to time, it reminds me that I'm only human. You can't stand being wrong. Instead of having a conversation like normal humans do, you resort to childish name calling. I'd fight for what I believe in, you on the other hand would incite a riot and then run away and hide. When finally confronted, you'd blame it on the other guy, you're parents, the president, whatever. You're such a coward. God you live a miserable life. I really feel sorry for you. You're only source of joy is bad mouthing and bashing others. You think it gives you credibility.
    I may be wrong on my opinions from time to time, but I'm not the sad, scared little girl that you are. I don't need to promote hatred in order to feel important. You're never going to be happy.

Finally, this is my favorite quote of yours. A fitting end to this conversation.

"Have a nice day. Then go fvck yourself."

Well, darn. Finally an issue probably everyone here can agree on.
    I think some of the article might be exaggerating a bit, but I wouldn't be surprised.

You really crack me up sometimes. You're calling me tired and infantile? Hahahahahah. So you must be the opposite of tired and infantile? What would that be? Refreshing and mature? Here is just a small sample of some of your refreshing and mature posts:

"I wonder how many of these low-down, filthy, right-wing commie rats who are still hopelessly wallowing in their pathological cesspool of Clinton mongering "

"Cheney's daughter, Mary, is making the rounds on the TV talk show circuit to talk about her life as a lesbian slu.t"

"why the fvck isn't this slot lapping pig in Iraq with those other 2 degenerate Bush wh0res Jenna and Barbara"

"These sub-human, GOP Monkeys"

"Grim is a very effective spokes-monkey"

"Why don't you live up to your moniker and try me, b!tch?"

"Trying to salve over the embarrassment you and your other low-life, right-wing, commie rat pals"

"Funny how dumb right-wing monkey lemmings are. I have more respect for a colony of germs on my toilet bowl than I do them."

Very mature and refreshing. And speaking of tired, your use of "monkey" is getting really old and boring. I thought you self-proclaimed smart guys could do better than this?

And you say thats all I've got huh? Well, actually, I've got a lot more than you do. Let me tell you about it. I've got a great job, doing something I really love. I imagine you hate your job. You're probably the one *****ing all the time at work. You're probably so bad that no one there wants to be around you. I love my family. They're the reason for my success. You probably resent yours. You blame them for all your failures. I have lots of friends, from many different backgrounds. You can't stand being around people who are different than you. You are so judgemental that no one wants to be your friend. I'm happy to wake up every morning, curious as to what the day will bring. I have faith that everything will work out okay. I know its going to take work, but eventually we'll get it right. You don't have faith in anything, as a matter of fact, you probably despise faith. I know you despise anyone that has faith! You probably lie in bed at night with the blankets over your head so scared that the bombs are gonna drop any second that you never get any sleep. You probably dread getting out of bed in the morning. You know how crappy your day is going to be. You champion the poor, not because you care about them, because you think "at least someone's life sucks more than mine!" I don't mind being wrong from time to time, it reminds me that I'm only human. You can't stand being wrong. Instead of having a conversation like normal humans do, you resort to childish name calling. I'd fight for what I believe in, you on the other hand would incite a riot and then run away and hide. When finally confronted, you'd blame it on the other guy, you're parents, the president, whatever. You're such a coward. God you live a miserable life. I really feel sorry for you. You're only source of joy is bad mouthing and bashing others. You think it gives you credibility.
    I may be wrong on my opinions from time to time, but I'm not the sad, scared little girl that you are. I don't need to promote hatred in order to feel important. You're never going to be happy.

Finally, this is my favorite quote of yours. A fitting end to this conversation.

"Have a nice day. Then go fvck yourself."
    Ha..ha..ha.. My-my..What a rich little fantasy life you have! This must be why you so willingly buy into all The Flying Monkey's ridiculous fairytales. Pardon me for not being flattered that you've taken so much time from the boot licking job you love just to indulge your delerious, hallucinogenic projections about little ol' me. But then again, I notice you actually seem to take pride in being totally ignorant, wrong and entirely detached from reality. So, that's no surprise.

Fortunately, I simply can't reciprocate for you since my time has some rather significant value to others as well as myself. Perhaps something a bit more productive for you to occupy your "mind" is in order. If you really are a "sub sailor", why don't you volunteer for something productive....like cleaning some toilets or polishing some bulkheads? Then do your country a real service by loading yourself into a torpedo tube and getting one of the other goose-stepping robots there to push the launch button. It's OK..don't thank me. Just go fvck yourself.
    Last edited by dchristie; 05-11-2006 at 05:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dchristie
    Ha..ha..ha.. My-my..What a rich little fantasy life you have! This must be why you so willingly buy into all The Flying Monkey's ridiculous fairytales. Pardon me for not being flattered that you've taken so much time from the boot licking job you love just to indulge your delerious, hallucinogenic projections about little ol' me. But then again, I notice you actually seem to take pride in being totally ignorant, wrong and entirely detached from reality. So, that's no surprise.

Fortunately, I simply can't reciprocate for you since my time has some rather significant value to others as well as myself. Perhaps something a bit more productive for you to occupy your "mind" is in order. If you really are a "sub sailor", why don't you volunteer for something productive....like cleaning some toilets or polishing some bulkheads? Then do your country a real service by loading yourself into a torpedo tube and getting one of the other goose-stepping robots there to push the launch button. It's OK..don't thank me. Just go fvck yourself.
    There you go again. You have nothing to say, so you say nothing. You seem to have an obsession with Monkeys. If you think about it (I know thinking is hard for you to do) you're the monkey. You sit in your safe little cage and fling **** at everyone. You're pathetic. God you are such a coward. If you are so pissed off, why don't you do something about it? Why? Because you're too ****ing scared. Would you be willing to die for what you believe in? If America turned into Nazi Germany as you say it is, what would you do then? Would you take up arms and defend yourself? Nah, you'd run away and hide like the scared little girl you are. You like to bad mouth the military, which is okay with me. You justify my existence. Defending the rights of ****heads like you to be ****heads. But, what I'd like to see you do is go to the nearest base where you live, find some soldiers/sailors (baby killers as you call them) and say this **** to their faces. They'd **** you're world up man. They'd have you squealing like the pig you are. I'd pay to see that. But, as we all know, you're a big, whiny, weak, ***** ass coward who's too afraid to do anything about what you don't like (other than *****ing and moaning).

There you go again. You have nothing to say, so you say nothing. You seem to have an obsession with Monkeys. If you think about it (I know thinking is hard for you to do) you're the monkey. You sit in your safe little cage and fling **** at everyone. You're pathetic. God you are such a coward. If you are so pissed off, why don't you do something about it? Why? Because you're too ****ing scared. Would you be willing to die for what you believe in? If America turned into Nazi Germany as you say it is, what would you do then? Would you take up arms and defend yourself? Nah, you'd run away and hide like the scared little girl you are. You like to bad mouth the military, which is okay with me. You justify my existence. Defending the rights of ****heads like you to be ****heads. But, what I'd like to see you do is go to the nearest base where you live, find some soldiers/sailors (baby killers as you call them) and say this **** to their faces. They'd **** you're world up man. They'd have you squealing like the pig you are. I'd pay to see that. But, as we all know, you're a big, whiny, weak, ***** ass coward who's too afraid to do anything about what you don't like (other than *****ing and moaning).

Ha..ha..ha.. You should talk to the engineer there on your sub because there’s obviously some intoxicating fumes coming out of the toilets you’re scrubbing. You’re delusions about me are very funny…..but sad for you. Try sticking your head in the next toilet and flushing a few times along with a nice enema to clear your mind. If you really are, or have been, in the military, all I can say is it’s a pretty goddamn sad and scary commentary on just how desperate our military has become. It looks like they’ve sunk to recruiting vermin from the absolute bottom of the barrel. But that’s no surprise given what The Bush Crime Gang has done with our military. But, just because some people are too bright and patriotic to condone torture and murder on illegal orders from The Flying Monkey, shouldn’t fool you. I would bust your fvcking teeth down your ignorant throat so fast and kick your fat war-criminal ass so hard the doctors wouldn’t be able to figure out which end to stick the tube as they wheel your twitching sack of sh!t into the emergency room.
    Now, go fvck yourself again.
    Last edited by dchristie; 05-13-2006 at 07:49 PM.