+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

The MINUTEMAN PROJECT - Fighting to PROTECT our BORDERS - D.C. on 5/12/06 - BE THERE

To ALL who are concerned,

Do you want to get involved in the immigration issue and protect our country's borders against illegal immigrants and TERRORISTS?

The Minuteman Project organized the protest described in the following article.

This was one of many stops in the travels of their Caravan across this nation that will end in WASHINGTON D.C. on Friday, May 12.

If you are interested in the details of this AWESOME organization, I have linked their website to this post at the end of this article about a protest that took place on Saturday (May 6,) near Bush's ranch in Crawford, Texas:

500 protest immigrant 'invasion' in Crawford
    Minutemen join a Latino group to show disfavor with current policy

By MATT STILES
    Copyright 2006 Houston Chronicle

CRAWFORD - Hundreds of people fed up with the country's immigration policies brought their arguments to President Bush's turf Saturday, rallying for reform not far from his ranch.

In an event dubbed "A Rumble at the Ranch," the crowd of about 500 braved stormy, soggy conditions to voice concerns and hear speakers arguing against what some called an "invasion" of illegal immigrants.

"In our hometowns, we feel the effect of illegal immigration," said Missy Stebbins of Killeen, a two-time Bush voter disaffected by his stance on the issue. "So we're bringing this to his hometown."

The Texas Minutemen and Latino Americans for Immigration Reform organized the event, approved in advance by police, which drew an eclectic crowd from across Texas and as far as California.

The diverse participants — men dressed in camouflage, elderly couples and teenage girls — listened to roughly 20 speakers, some of them third-party and independent candidates for political office around the state. The speeches urged that the borders be sealed now, illegal immigrants be deported quickly and reluctant politicians be thrown out of office.

The speakers were cheered when expressing frustration with current policies and the discussion in Washington, D.C., about allowing illegal immigrants to work toward citizenship or be allowed to remain as "guest workers."

Others decried the dangers of unsecured borders during an era of increased vigilance against terrorism. "All of the United States is feeling it," said Gayle Nyberg of Murrieta, Calif., who has spend the last several months traveling in a caravan along the southwestern border with Mexico.

She voted for President Bush in 2000, but now calls him a "traitor" who ought to be "impeached," though she concedes that's unlikely. "Our country is in crisis. Time is short. We all need to fight to band together to save our country," said Nyberg, who wore a black-and-white, early-American outfit.

There was no counterprotest or conflict. A handful of immigrant-rights activists held a press conference at the nearby Crawford Peace House, not far from this small Central Texas town's main intersection. They said they came to educate the public, not confront the people at the rally.

Juan Torres of the Austin Coalition for Immigrant Rights said he was disappointed that a Latino organization had backed the event. "We find it hard to believe that an immigrant would be for deporting his brother, an immigrant."

Spencer Crowl, an Austin activist, said, "The current anti-immigration discussion is counterproductive to the American mission statement of cultural diversity and multicultural interaction."

At the rally, the crowd endured intermittent rain, mud puddles and steamy conditions at a park near Crawford High School's football stadium. The park is several miles from Bush's ranch. He traveled to Oklahoma for an event Saturday, and was not at the ranch.

Magda Rodriguez attended with her husband, Rafael, son, Jonathan, and Jack Russell terrier, Cowboy. She carried a cardboard sign that complained of an immigrant stealing her identity.

Rafael said the Internal Revenue Service first told his wife that she was underreporting her income. The family later realized that another woman had assumed Magda's name and Social Security number.

"It is hell. We still go through hell," he said of his family's attempts to recover from the fraud. He said he hoped Jonathan, who carried a sign that read, "Enter America The Right Way," learned about the "rule of law" by attending the event. Such handmade signs were popular.

"Mexico: Try a Day Without America," read one. Another pleaded: "Stop the Invasion."
    GET INVOLVED in PROTECTING OUR COUNTRY.. the time has come to PUT UP or SHUT UP...

MINUTEMAN PROJECT website:

http://www.minutemanproject.com/defa...p?contentID=23
    Last edited by Connecticut Victim; 05-09-2006 at 10:03 AM.

Re: The MINUTEMAN PROJECT - Fighting to PROTECT our BORDERS - D.C. on 5/12/06 - BE T

Quote Originally Posted by Connecticut Victim

Do you want to get involved in the immigration issue and protect our country's borders against illegal immigrants and TERRORISTS?
    Are you joking or not? I honestly can't tell.
    I mean, this seems to me a very right-wing thing to protest about, so are you taking the p!ss or serious?

Re: The MINUTEMAN PROJECT - Fighting to PROTECT our BORDERS - D.C. on 5/12/06 - BE THERE

I'm all for working to prevent both illegal immigrants and terrorists from entering the U.S.

I'm against insinuating that preventing illegal immigrants and terrorists from the U.S. are the same issue, or any suggestions that they should be dealt with in the same manner.

Re: The MINUTEMAN PROJECT - Fighting to PROTECT our BORDERS - D.C. on 5/12/06 - BE THERE

The Minuteman Project organized the protest described in the following article.

This was one of many stops in the travels of their Caravan across this nation that will end in WASHINGTON D.C. on Friday, May 12.

If you are interested in the details of this AWESOME organization, I have linked their website to this post at the end of this article about a protest that took place on Saturday (May 6,) near Bush's ranch in Crawford, Texas:

500 protest immigrant 'invasion' in Crawford
    Minutemen join a Latino group to show disfavor with current policy

By MATT STILES

GET INVOLVED in PROTECTING OUR COUNTRY.. the time has come to PUT UP or SHUT UP...

MINUTEMAN PROJECT website:

http://www.minutemanproject.com/defa...p?contentID=23

Hi CV,

I have no intention, of getting involved with vigilante justice. Should I shut up now? Is what I have to say, become unimportant, because I think, the Minutemen are a bunch of, racist, radical, dangerous, wackos?

I pay taxes, and part of those taxes are to be used for paying the Border Patrol. Of course, an argument can be made, about whether my tax dollars, are being used for that purpose. However, for the sake of argument, the Border Patrol, trained, monitored, and controlled by governmental agencies, are responsible for protecting our borders.

Strengthening immigration laws, reviewing the law enforcement parameters of the Border Patrol law, cracking down on American corporations, some of these things might help with illegal immigration. If actually done, that is.

Something else, what makes you think, the Minutemen can stop terrorists? I did little look around the web, and found this from Answers.com:

Atta and the other hijackers began to work on appearing normal, shaving their beards and avoiding known radicals. Starting in 2000, the CIA placed Atta under surveillance in Germany. He was trailed by CIA agents, and was observed buying large quantities of chemicals. [4][5][6] When he entered the United States in June 3, 2000 the CIA says its surveillance of Atta ended. It is unclear whether the FBI or some other intelligence agency monitored Atta's activities in the U.S.

Mohammed Atta

Also this, from the New York Times 8/2005:

WASHINGTON, Aug. 22 - An active-duty Navy captain has become the second military officer to come forward publicly to say that a secret intelligence program tagged the ringleader of the Sept. 11 attacks as a possible terrorist more than a year before the attacks.

The officer, Scott J. Phillpott, said in a statement on Monday that he could not discuss details of the military program, which was called Able Danger, but confirmed that its analysts had identified the Sept. 11 ringleader, Mohamed Atta, by name by early 2000. "My story is consistent," said Captain Phillpott, who managed the program for the Pentagon's Special Operations Command. "Atta was identified by Able Danger by January-February of 2000."

New York Times 8/2005

Notice the bold type. The CIA, stopped watching Mohamed Atta. Our government knew about M. Atta, and did nothing. If the CIA, FBI, or military intelligence, who have all the resources of the US government at their disposal, cannot or will not do their jobs, how can the Minutemen do anything? They cannot save us from terrorists, they lack the resources, and the legal athourity to do so. Law enforcement agencies are trained, funded, and have the legal responsibilty, to do so. Our job as citizens, is to light a fire, under the butts of our elected employees, and force them to do their job, protecting America, and her citizens.

CV, I am going to ask you a personal question. If you are offended, please know that, I, in no way, shape, or form want to offend you. Please believe that. :)

That being said:
    Have you, or anyone you know personally, been directly affected by illegal immigrants? Have you, or anyone you know personally, been kept from getting a living wage job, because of an illegal immigrant?

I am not asking these questions, in a smart-alecky way, I want to understand your vociferous, rage and anger regarding this subject. You seem so angry and, if I may say, slightly irrational about this subject. If you have had a personal experience, I can see why you are raging so much.

I ask these questions from the heart. I think you know, I am not being provocative, or inflammatory, but genuinely wondering. :confused:

DeeDee1965

Quote Originally Posted by DeeDee1965
    Hi CV,

I have no intention, of getting involved with vigilante justice. Should I shut up now? Is what I have to say, become unimportant, because I think, the Minutemen are a bunch of, racist, radical, dangerous, wackos?
    Hi DeeDee,

You know I always welcome your input.. :)

I pay taxes, and part of those taxes are to be used for paying the Border Patrol. Of course, an argument can be made, about whether my tax dollars, are being used for that purpose. However, for the sake of argument, the Border Patrol, trained, monitored, and controlled by governmental agencies, are responsible for protecting our borders.

Strengthening immigration laws, reviewing the law enforcement parameters of the Border Patrol law, cracking down on American corporations, some of these things might help with illegal immigration. If actually done, that is.
    I have not thouroughly researched the Minuteman Project, so any information anyone has to offer on this organization - good or bad - is welcome here.

I first learned of these volunteers on CNN's Anderson Cooper 360. He spent the weekend on the border, and was with these people as they constructed a fence across a remote part of the border that was unsecured. You can read about it, and also citizens comments, here:

http://www.cnn.com/CNN/Programs/ande...-southern.html

These appear to me to be common people who have chosen to become involved in helping our country - instead of sitting around waiting for a government (that we all know is incompetent) to do something. As far as I know, they are not violent, and do not "take the law into their own hands". I see nothing wrong with what they are doing. Can I ask why you do?

Something else, what makes you think, the Minutemen can stop terrorists?
    I was talking only in the sense of helping to prevent them from sneaking across the border into the U.S.. Iron Horse posted this information in his "Invasion U.S.A." thread:

The Border Patrol doesn't release a by-nation breakdown of those it arrests, and the agency is particularly tight-lipped about arrests of special interest aliens, known as SIAs. These are individuals from the list of about 35 countries the U.S. considers terror threats. But the Weekly has obtained SIA arrest figures from a federal law enforcement source who asked to remain anonymous.

From 2000 through 2003, plus the first nine months of fiscal 2004, agents in the Tucson sector, and the Arizona office of the Yuma sector, arrested 132 SIAs. The numbers include 10 from Afghanistan, seven from Iran, 12 from Yemen, 11 from Pakistan and three from Iraq.

Using the common estimate that the Border Patrol only catches one out of every three who cross, or as some believe, one of every five, we can calculate that upward of 660 individuals from terror-threat nations have crossed into our country through Arizona.

Those SIA arrest figures, by the way, include six individuals from Saudi Arabia, the country that produced 15 of the 19 Sept. 11 maniacs.

If this is even remotely possible, I think it is a very serious issue. Would you agree?

I would say we need all the help we can get - be it minutemen or otherwise...

Notice the bold type. The CIA, stopped watching Mohamed Atta. Our government knew about M. Atta, and did nothing. If the CIA, FBI, or military intelligence, who have all the resources of the US government at their disposal, cannot or will not do their jobs
    I think this should be "cannot AND will not"...

, how can the Minutemen do anything? They cannot save us from terrorists, they lack the resources, and the legal athourity to do so.
    I don't think this is their intention.

Law enforcement agencies are trained, funded, and have the legal responsibilty, to do so. Our job as citizens, is to light a fire, under the butts of our elected employees, and force them to do their job, protecting America, and her citizens.
    I TOTALLY agree. How do we do this? Do you think that public displays of disapproval - like the protest described in this thread, are useful at all in "lighting that fire under their butts"?

CV, I am going to ask you a personal question. If you are offended, please know that, I, in no way, shape, or form want to offend you. Please believe that.
    I'm not offended DeeDee.

That being said:
    Have you, or anyone you know personally, been directly affected by illegal immigrants?
    Yes. There were three of them who worked for a tree trimming company that did some work on my Mother's property a couple of years ago. To make a long story short, one of them returned to her home in the middle of the night and stole a concrete statue off of her porch that had been given to her many years ago by my sister who passed away from colon cancer in 2001.

Have you, or anyone you know personally, been kept from getting a living wage job, because of an illegal immigrant?
    Yes. My youngest brother closed his 16 year old construction business last year because he could no longer compete with the low bids he was fighting against due to the low wages his competition was paying illegal Mexicans.

I am not asking these questions, in a smart-alecky way, I want to understand your vociferous, rage and anger regarding this subject. You seem so angry and, if I may say, slightly irrational about this subject. If you have had a personal experience, I can see why you are raging so much.
    There are other experiences, DeeDee. But these two are the ones that really "stick with me" - especially my Mother - she was devastated. And my brother did everything by the book....

All in all, I'm just sick of it. It's not that I don't want ANY of them here - hell, my niece is MARRIED to one! - he's a GREAT GUY. It's the ones that are marching in the streets, waving a Mexican flag, singing the Spanish Star Spangled Banner, holding signs that say "We are America" (signs that they most likely can't even READ), raping our economy, etc. etc.... These are the ones I detest. I don't want them here NOW and I don't want them to be allowed to become citizens - EVER.

They have NO IDEA what it means to be an American - and they NEVER WILL.

I ask these questions from the heart. I think you know, I am not being provocative, or inflammatory, but genuinely wondering.
    I know DeeDee.. and I have responded to you from the heart as well - good or bad - it's the way I feel..

Re: The MINUTEMAN PROJECT - Fighting to PROTECT our BORDERS - D.C. on 5/12/06 - BE T

I'm all for immigrants having to go about the right channels to be able to work here...I'd even be for the current illegal immigrants staying here, if they go about the right channels to become legal.

I'm not sure I like this minuteman project, though. I'm sure that there are many who have strong feelings, and are generally good-natured about it. I'm also pretty sure (without looking into statistics) that there are some who may be using the minuteman project to promote a racist agenda. Quite apart from the project, there are some HERE at this forum (nobody in this topic) who have used this issue of illegal immigration to bring up their racism a couple times.

If you do decide to get involved, I'd be careful about who you get involved with. The last thing you need is to get involved with the this project's sect of extremists.

People over look the fact that this problem affects all of us, not just people that we " know".

Sissom Masonry owner Randy Sissom has a worker shortage. There’s plenty of workers. They just don’t want to work for him. "When a worker comes by and I have to ask for a green card or a Social Security card and they ask if I want to hold out taxes, then they don’t want to have anything to do with it." But Sissom believes other companies are hiring illegal immigrants and he says he can’t compete with that. "They don’t have to pay insurances, workman’s comp, general liability, or pay personal taxes, and that gives a tremendous advantage price wise…."

——–

And he says government enforcement is laughable."

Tulsa Business In Trouble Because Of Immigration
    KOTV - Tulsa

The immigration issue isn’t just a topic for debate for one Tulsa business owner. As News on 6 business reporter Steve Berg explains, Randy Sissom is about to lose his business.

Sissom Masonry owner Randy Sissom has a worker shortage. There’s plenty of workers. They just don’t want to work for him. "When a worker comes by and I have to ask for a green card or a Social Security card and they ask if I want to hold out taxes, then they don’t want to have anything to do with it."

But Sissom believes other companies are hiring illegal immigrants and he says he can’t compete with that. "They don’t have to pay insurances, workman’s comp, general liability, or pay personal taxes, and that gives a tremendous advantage price wise."

And he says government enforcement is laughable. When he’s had workers whose numbers don’t match up, the Social Security Administration sends a letter telling him to have the employee contact the Social Security Office to resolve the issue.

Steve Berg: "Once they’ve sent the letter, do they ever follow-up on it and say, hey, this employee never checked in." Randy: "no, no, no. Y’know, if it doesn’t match, then there’s just really nothing that they can do and then they also tell me that if I discriminate against that employee for giving me false documentation then I can be penalized for it."

So Sissom had come up against the proverbial brick wall. And he says he laughs when people say Americans don’t want to do this kind of work. "I love this kind of work, I’ve done it since I was 16-years-old and I would love to still keep doing it, but y’know whenever I drive around for a month, month-and-a-half at a time and can’t find any work, I’m going to have to eventually look into something else."

Sissom says he’s going to school full-time and plans on getting out of the bricklaying business as soon as possible.

SOURCE: KOTV Tulsa, OK

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Horse
    And he says government enforcement is laughable. When he’s had workers whose numbers don’t match up, the Social Security Administration sends a letter telling him to have the employee contact the Social Security Office to resolve the issue.
    Wouldn't it make more sense to instruct the employer to HIRE this person - and then send the authorities there to arrest him/her??? :confused:

Steve Berg: "Once they’ve sent the letter, do they ever follow-up on it and say, hey, this employee never checked in." Randy: "no, no, no. Y’know, if it doesn’t match, then there’s just really nothing that they can do and then they also tell me that if I discriminate against that employee for giving me false documentation then I can be penalized for it."
    Oh man.... what a joke ! :rolleyes:

Wouldn't it make more sense to instruct the employer to HIRE this person - and then send the authorities there to arrest him/her??? :confused:

Oh man.... what a joke ! :rolleyes:
    Amazing no?
    It's all part of a larger plan, you will see....soon, they will want to disolve the borders of the USA, Mexico, and Canada...it's coming .

I know DeeDee.. and I have responded to you from the heart as well - good or bad - it's the way I feel..

Hi CV,

Thank you, for your answers CV. :)

Your feelings are strong, and your passion is real. We have need of, more people like you, in our beleaguered country. ;)

It is funny, the women on this board, get along great. I wonder is that significant...... :p

DeeDee1965

Quote Originally Posted by DeeDee1965
    Hi CV,

Thank you, for your answers CV. :)
    Hi DeeDee,

You are very welcome. Feel free to ask me anything you want to know - I will tell you the truth - I will never patronize you with what I "think you want to hear".. ;)

Your feelings are strong, and your passion is real. We have need of, more people like you, in our beleaguered country.
    You know what DeeDee? I think you really mean this! And for that, I thank you.. :)

It is funny, the women on this board, get along great. I wonder is that significant......
    What's to wonder about? Women are smarter than men!! We're more logical - we're much more compassionate and understanding - we are more respectful of others views - we LISTEN to what others are TRYING to express so we don't need EVERY LITTLE THING spelled out - we're just better thinkers than they are!

The reason for this? Don't forget DeeDee - they are trying to think with "two heads" at the same time... and it's alot to ask from one little ole' brain!!! :p

ROFLMAO!!
    CV

Hi DeeDee,

You are very welcome. Feel free to ask me anything you want to know - I will tell you the truth - I will never patronize you with what I "think you want to hear".. ;)

You know what DeeDee? I think you really mean this! And for that, I thank you.. :)

What's to wonder about? Women are smarter than men!!
    CV
    :rolleyes: ......

HAhaha
    The Daily Show exposed the minuteman stupidity last week.
    No one takes this seriously
    Poor deluded fool find another hobbyhorse to ride this one's broke.
    haha

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Horse
    :rolleyes: ......
    Cute IH - LMAO!!

Please don't be offended. There are, of course, EXCEPTIONS! One in every 10,000 men are actually pretty smart! I am happy to say that I think YOU are one of those exceptions... ;)

Quote Originally Posted by pancho
    The Daily Show exposed the minuteman stupidity last week.
    No one takes this seriously
    This kind of information might be useful, pancho. Can you please share what The Daily Show exposed?

Poor deluded fool find another hobbyhorse to ride this one's broke.
    haha
    This remark wasn't really necessary, was it? :rolleyes:

Cute IH - LMAO!!

Please don't be offended. There are, of course, EXCEPTIONS! One in every 10,000 men are actually pretty smart! I am happy to say that I think YOU are one of those exceptions... ;)
    Oh, I am not offended ...because I know it's ridiculous.
    It has been proven time and time again that men are intellectually superior.
    Remember the national IQ tests ( 2004,2005)? Men won by a large margin. Throughout history, the vast majority of artists, musicians, writers, inventors and scientists have been men.

One recent study --->

"HELL hath no fury like a woman scorned. But psychologists have risked the wrath of half the world's population with a dangerously simple pronouncement: men are smarter than women.

A University of Manchester study, which claims to be one of the biggest-ever of human intelligence, appears to show an inherent IQ gap between the sexes.

But the academic who led the study says he wishes its findings were wrong!
    Advertisement your story continues below

Dr Paul Irwing said he didn't want to give fuel to opponents of women's liberation, but he couldn't argue with his findings.

He said: "I'm not particularly pleased with the things we have found. I would like there to be equality between the sexes. In many ways there are, but there are some small differences and this is one of them."

Academics analysed the results of 80,000 cognitive ability tests, conducted on people from 20 countries from the 1960s to the present day.

Consistent

They claimed to find men performed marginally, but consistently, better than women, irrespective of age, ethnicity or social background.

Dr Irwing, an organisational psychologist from Manchester Business School, said men had on average five more IQ points than women of the same background.

He said: "The sample we used was huge and gave very consistent results."

The intelligence gap, he said, was so small it would make no difference in the way men and women carried out their jobs, although it could make a difference in jobs requiring exceptional levels of intelligence, explaining why fewer women have won Nobel science prizes."

I happen to believe that overall, we are equal :D