+ Reply to Thread

Fleecing the flock

"Evangelical pastor Rick Warren's plea for donations to fill a $900,000 deficit at his Southern California megachurch brought in $2.4 million, Warren announced to cheers during a sermon at the church on Saturday."

Does no one else see a problem with this?

Re: Fleecing the flock

Quote Originally Posted by svcguyhv View Post
    "Evangelical pastor Rick Warren's plea for donations to fill a $900,000 deficit at his Southern California megachurch brought in $2.4 million, Warren announced to cheers during a sermon at the church on Saturday."

Does no one else see a problem with this?
    What? That he had a need and people responded?

All I want to know is how much dear pastor cut for himself and his family during last year.

Quote Originally Posted by BorisZ View Post
    All I want to know is how much dear pastor cut for himself and his family during last year.
    Actually Warren says his church made so much that he now keeps ten percent of all revenue for his books and gives ninety percent to the church.

Of course, there may be "under the table" stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by TerryP View Post
    The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want.
    He maketh me to lie down in green pastures:
    he leadeth me beside the still waters.
    He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the
    paths of righteousness for his name's sake.
    Yea, though I walk through the valley of the
    shadow of death; I will fear no evil: for thou
    art with me; thy rod and thy staff they
    comfort me.
    Thou preparest a table before me in the
    presence of mine enemies: thou anointest
    my head with oil; my cup runneth over.
    Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all
    the days of my life; and I will dwell in the
    house of the Lord for ever.
    psalm 23 - psalm of david

A _MAN_ asked to support his _MAN MADE_ religion and _MAN_ responded. God's response? He could miracle ass money into an account.

You know what would be a miracle? Man ditching churches and maybe taking care of himself instead of taking care of a god.

Quote Originally Posted by BorisZ View Post
    He reportedly does not get a salary. What he does is sell to his congregation (and the rest of the hapless flocks) and uses that money to live on. Then reverse tithes and launders his money through his church.

He's a bigot, anti-semite and all around two faced ass hat. Does not believe in science, but sure loves money.

Then again, I love money. But I don't pretend to talk to imaginary beings or tell others how gods want them to live.

Quote Originally Posted by TerryP View Post
    This post illustrates why scams happen.

One reason is a weak mind.

Shame, really when you think about it.

Quote Originally Posted by howdy View Post
    This post illustrates why scams happen.

One reason is a weak mind.

Shame, really when you think about it.
    Here's a good video where philosopher Dan Dennett responds to Rick Warren.

http://www.ted.com/talks/lang/eng/da...ck_warren.html

He reportedly does not get a salary. What he does is sell to his congregation (and the rest of the hapless flocks) and uses that money to live on. Then reverse tithes and launders his money through his church.
    In other words, his church's books are completely closed for public view and he can take for himself how much he wants without any controll. Lest hope, he is not a greedy man, because that would be a temptation he would not be able to resist. :)

So how'd he accumulate that deficit? Providing food, shelter and clothing for the needy, or running up big bills for video production services, marketing consultants, media buys, book publishing costs, phone banks, etc. etc. etc.? Or maybe providing himself with a McMansion compound, a private jet and the other typical accoutrements of TV pastoral success? (I admit, I don't have specific knowledge that Warren has a private jet and so on, I'm just figuring he measures his evangelical success like his peers do.)

Quote Originally Posted by doojie View Post
    Here's a good video where philosopher Dan Dennett responds to Rick Warren.

http://www.ted.com/talks/lang/eng/da...ck_warren.html
    I watched about half of the video. I will watch the rest tomorrow.

I enjoyed it. I liked the statement that life is just a thin coat of paint on this planet, and we hold the paint brush. That sure is true.

I also liked the line about sheep acquiring sheepherders.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Axiothea View Post
    So how'd he accumulate that deficit? Providing food, shelter and clothing for the needy, or running up big bills for video production services, marketing consultants, media buys, book publishing costs, phone banks, etc. etc. etc.? Or maybe providing himself with a McMansion compound, a private jet and the other typical accoutrements of TV pastoral success? (I admit, I don't have specific knowledge that Warren has a private jet and so on, I'm just figuring he measures his evangelical success like his peers do.)
    Found these comments from some exparishoners of his:

Rick Warren isn't good enough to get the sweat off my behind. He is a fraud and a disgrace. His “god” is NOT my God. Maybe, his abortion buddy, Obama, slipped him some stimulus money out of his slush fund. Or maybe Rick will go with him to Africa again and offer birth control and abortions to stem the tide of aids. Warrne put MONEY over principles.

6 posted on Saturday, January 02, 2010 10:52:25 AM by nmh

Yep. And as far as I’m concerned that’s “scripture” with these mega-church phonies.

5 posted on Saturday, January 02, 2010 10:51:18 AM by Emmett McCarthy

I wouldn’t give an affiliation of pastor Rick’s 50 cents.

3 posted on Saturday, January 02, 2010 10:47:27 AM by zek157

I honestly hoped that people in his congregation had more sense than this.

8 posted on Saturday, January 02, 2010 10:52:30 AM by proudofthesouth\

fool + money = soon parted

9 posted on Saturday, January 02, 2010 10:53:53 AM by j.argese\

Liberal followers like Warren and his “church” aren't known to be too bright. This certainly gives credence to that idea. They're dumber than dumb.

10 posted on Saturday, January 02, 2010 10:54:04 AM by mmh

Troy our pastor went to one of those Saddleback “church growth/marketing” conferences and since we have adopted the Church of Laodicia’s church model or the “seeker” movement strategies that Rick teaches, our church’s attendance has gone from 3,000 to 1,500 and have a ton of debt. Thanks Rick for spreading your social gospel to the world!
    We are in the political and spiritual mess we are in because the Church is not being the Church. We are trying to be like everyone else and doing a fine job accomplishing it.

11 posted on Saturday, January 02, 2010 10:56:02 AM by truthandlife\

Yeah, his PURPOSE was to have a works driven salvation. So you too can have a “purpose”. Be like the follower that made the news. Remember the woman who had a criminal turn himself in after he I think shot and killed someone? She got out Rick Warren's books and had a “heart to heart talk” with him as shared SHARED HER CRACK with him. High, he turned himself in. She credited Warren for her “change”. LOL!!! Sharing ILLEGAL drugs made her “feel good” and gave her a “purpose”. There was no change in the “heart” but the “APPEARANCE” of change is all he seeks as he solicits money and more fame from you. Warren and his books are a scam. Warren doesn't preach Christianity.

12 posted on Saturday, January 02, 2010 10:57:43 AM by mmh

I’m STILL pissed that I bought one of this charlarans books years ago.

14 posted on Saturday, January 02, 2010 10:59:47 AM by ladyvet\\

I got lucky when someone gave me one as a gift. I read enough to know the only "purpose" this book would serve was as a coaster for my coffee. 18 posted on Saturday, January 02, 2010 11:04:12 AM by DocRock

How much money did Rick get from Syria? LOL.
    Hey, America is a great place, and God is a great God.
    He (God) knows what he is doing...if the people freely gave, then let ‘em give.

21 posted on Saturday, January 02, 2010 11:08:26 AM by Recovering_Democrat

His “church” is more like a cult because the members have lost the ability to think for themselves.
    25 posted on Saturday, January 02, 2010 11:20:10 AM by proudofthesouth

900,000. shortfall, huh? Don't want to open your books to scrutiny, huh?
    So how much of that shortfall is due to getting involved in the politically-driven "Creation Care" Greenie shake-down scam and his wife's "calling" to get his church involved in politically-driven AIDS shake-down scam.
    Following the lead of his wife, Kay, Warren also has championed the fight against AIDS in Africa, rallying support for U.S. relief programs.
    2006 RICK WARREN: Obama is "amazing" and has "got the stuff" to be Prez...
    "Remember back when Rick Warren was adamantly denying that his inviting Barack Obama to his HIV conference had anything to do with politics? Well - if that's the case - why is it that he's now TALKING POLITICS on CNN and sending the message that "Obama's Da Man"? Warren also says the reason he believes Obama would be such a good President is because of his character. And other than the whole killing the most vulnerable amongst us both in and out of the womb - who could argue? It must be Purpose Driven DoubleSpeak." Deal Reached On Global AIDS Bill ($50 BILLION!)
    CBSNEWS ^ | Jun 25, 2008 | Daniel W. Reilly HEREposted on Thursday, December 31, 2009 11:17:37 AM by Matchett-PI

I can’t figure out why God is always so short on cash.

36 posted on Saturday, January 02, 2010 11:54:36 AM by stormer

Oh brother. Well another week/month of the dog and pony Saddleback show.
    Anyone want to take bets how long till he has to do this again?

38 posted on Saturday, January 02, 2010 12:00:25 PM by Terriergal

Oh but you have to take a survey to find out what people want to hear in your church, you must be doing something wrong! Just keep on despite the fact that mature solid Christians are leaving. Rick says that some people are going to have to die or leave. And Chuck Mcalister and Dan Southerland say those people are just leaders from hell anyway. You want the new immature and/or false converts to come in so you can shape them the way you want them, to be yes-men for the pastor and not preach a gospel that’s too offensive for the natural man to hear. After all if you don’t get them in the church they’ll never hear the gospel right? because we sure don’t want to teach our church members how to actually explain to the people they come in contact with in their lives DURING THE WEEK the wrath of God, sin, hell, the blood atonement, and the death to self that comes from surrendering one’s life to Christ’s Lordship.
    /sarcasm

42 posted on Saturday, January 02, 2010 12:08:23 PM by Terriergal

Rick has already conditioned them to jump when he says jump, because you have to ‘do’ all these things he’s made up to really please God.
    44 posted on Saturday, January 02, 2010 12:12:12 PM by Terriergal

There are over a 150 of such comments

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-...s?q=1&;page=51

Do a google search. There are just pages and pages of negative blogs, columns, letters, videos, articles, you name it about him. Apparently he is muvch more interested in politics than being a minister also. lol

more juicey comments from here:
    http://rawstory.com/2009/12/gay-grou...uch-debt-900k/

"Yeah, no salary but he gets $450,000 "housing allowance" he has three luxury cars and was reported to drop $30K on a diamond Tennis Bracelet for his wife AT THE MALL!

What an asshole"

"Does'nt he get a $450K Housing allowance? That pays for the pad in COTO (where the "Housewives Live") and his place in Hawaii (thats two).

What about the Lexus his wife drives, the Escalade he drives and the three Yukon's that the security detail use.

Not to mention the buzz about him buying the 30K diamond bracelet at ZALES two weeks ago."

"HA!! Rick Warren making an urgent plea for funds..HOW HILARIOUS !! This clown just PROVED he is a complete and total HACK. This looks, smells, sounds and reads like the same appeal the Oral Roberts made back in 1987 for funds from his flock...

He was a scam artist as well. Here's the quote "This time, according to Roberts, God is taking the initiative. Roberts has stated in a fund-raising appeal letter and on television that unless he raises a total of $8 million above regular ministry expenses by next month, he will die."

WHAT COMPLETE HACKS !!! Here's the link...MILLIONS of others exist as well..Look it up !!"
    Last edited by put it out there baby; 01-04-2010 at 10:57 PM.