+ Reply to Thread

Ookay, this a scam? Little help..

I'm a huge fan of busting scams and have been for quite some time; only one area is off limits to me--my family. My father has recently returned from a trip in the netherlands, amsterdam and those whereabouts. He immediately registers a facebook account, something he'd previously declare blasphemous, and tells me of two 'beautiful' 20 something european girls who he met at a pub and is now obsessing (to a scary level) over.

I just learned from him that he has been dedicating a majority of his time researching some medical condition where the inflicted person goes blind. He has been calling people he hasn't talked to in years, decades, to seek advice on how to find some treatment or cure.

Here's where it gets horrendous. It turns out one of these beautiful girls met "another girl" who is suffering from the disease. How they met changes as his story constantly varies trying to justify it to himself. (as far as I'm concerned). Apparently this girl needs 'two thousand dollars' for the operation, and the girl my father met on his trip was doing a 'fundraiser' by apparently 'calling all her friends and family' for said donations.

Does this sound like a familiar scam brewing? I've seen some very obscure scams before, but I'm at a loss since I have nothing concrete to nail him with to make him stop what I foresee to be a danger (ever seen the movie Hostel? yea..)

He won't listen to me, and I'm going to give up soon; any and all advise is appreciated!

Re: Ookay, this a scam? Little help..

i think they have socialized medicine over there?

Apparently this girl and her friend with the blind sickness are from Muldova(sp?) and met while the former was in Amsterdam when my father came along if it's of any help
    Last edited by merism; 12-30-2009 at 02:02 PM.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moldova

is one of the top ten places for internet fraud.

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_p...s/cis_972.html

Internet Fraud Warning: The Embassy is aware of various confidence schemes that have taken advantage of American citizens, frequently via the Internet. In some cases these involve the purchase or sale of items on the Internet in which the payment or shipment of goods was not completed by a Moldovan counterpart. In the spring of 2006, Moldovan police recovered over $250,000 in jewelry that was sent to “buyers” in Moldova from the United States via fake online escrow companies. Substantial criminal enterprises specializing in this type of crime (Internet auction fraud) have emerged in Moldova. In other cases, American citizens, particularly males, have met potential Moldovan fiancé(e)s on the Internet who have convinced them to send hundreds or even thousands of dollars, but have no intention of a serious relationship. Once the American citizen starts to question the reason for sending the money, the Moldovan fiancé(e)s suddenly ends his/her contact.
    Last edited by mumbles; 12-30-2009 at 02:18 PM.

While I can't be 100% sure that it is a scam but it certainly sounds like a variation of the romance/love scam. The asking of cash to be sent overseas, probably via Western Union or moneygram for some mystery disease is a classic scam. If you can get one or both of the ladies email addresses and names used on facebook it would help.

There are sites that specialize it helping people before and after they are involved with a scam, 2 of my favorites are in my siggy line. There are also sites where you can input a link to a picture and see if it is anywhere else on the internet.

Once you have their names and email addresses, run them all through google and see if anything comes up on a scam-warninng-fraud-watching site.

Don't give up, if you dad is being lied to and possibly scammed he could lose thousands of dollars but that would be nothing compared to the trust lost, self-respect destroyed and humilation incurred when a victim realizes they were duped.
    Found a scam or scammer's email address? Post it at scamwarners.com
    Found a romance scam? Post it at romancescam.com

Sent you a PM with that info, thanks