+ Reply to Thread

Why Darwinism is False

I just read this article, I wanted to hear what some of you here think of the arguments. It's a pretty long article so this is just the first few paragraphs. Read the whole article here

WHY DARWINISM IS FALSE
    By: Jonathan Wells
    Discovery Institute
    May 18, 2009

Jerry A. Coyne is a professor in the Department of Ecology and Evolution at The University of Chicago. In Why Evolution is True, he summarizes Darwinism—the modern theory of evolution—as follows: “Life on earth evolved gradually beginning with one primitive species—perhaps a self-replicating molecule—that lived more than 3.5 billion years ago; it then branched out over time, throwing off many new and diverse species; and the mechanism for most (but not all) of evolutionary change is natural selection.”1

Coyne further explains that evolution “simply means that a species undergoes genetic change over time. That is, over many generations a species can evolve into something quite different, and those differences are based on changes in the DNA, which originate as mutations. The species of animals and plants living today weren’t around in the past, but are descended from those that lived earlier.”2

According to Coyne, however, “if evolution meant only gradual genetic change within a species, we’d have only one species today—a single highly evolved descendant of the first species. Yet we have many… How does this diversity arise from one ancestral form?” It arises because of “splitting, or, more accurately, speciation,” which “simply means the evolution of different groups that can’t interbreed.”3

If Darwinian theory were true, “we should be able to find some cases of speciation in the fossil record, with one line of descent dividing into two or more. And we should be able to find new species forming in the wild.” Furthermore, “we should be able to find examples of species that link together major groups suspected to have common ancestry, like birds with reptiles and fish with amphibians.” Finally, there are facts that “make sense only in light of the theory of evolution” but do not make sense in the light of creation or design. These include “patterns of species distribution on the earth’s surface, peculiarities of how organisms develop from embryos, and the existence of vestigial features that are of no apparent use.” Coyne concludes his introduction with the bold statement that “all the evidence—both old and new—leads ineluctably to the conclusion that evolution is true.”4

Of course, “evolution” is undeniably true if it means simply that existing species can change in minor ways over time, or that many species living today did not exist in the past. But Darwin’s claim that all species are modified descendants of a common ancestor, and Coyne’s claim that DNA mutations and natural selection have produced those modifications, are not so undeniably true. Coyne devotes the remainder of his book to providing evidence for them.

Fossils

Coyne turns first to the fossil record. “We should be able,” he writes, “to find some evidence for evolutionary change in the fossil record. The deepest (and oldest) layers of rock would contain the fossils of more primitive species, and some fossils should become more complex as the layers of rock become younger, with organisms resembling present-day species found in the most recent layers. And we should be able to see some species changing over time, forming lineages showing ‘descent with modification’ (adaptation).” In particular, “later species should have traits that make them look like the descendants of earlier ones.”5......

Re: Why Darwinism is False

This conspiracy theory that "evolution" does not have enough proof has been misspelled hundred years ago. But some people do not learn.

LogicallyYours is offline Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings. User Rank

Jonathan Wells is an Intelligent Design (psuedo science) proponant. Sadly, Wells doesn't understand that Coynes book supports the theory of Evolution, not undermines it.

Why Evolution is True makes an almost entirely positive case for evolution; it has an appropriate perspective on the current American conflict between science and religious fundamentalism that avoids dwelling on creationist nonsense, but still acknowledges where common misconceptions occur and where creationist PR, such as the Intelligent Design creationism fad, has raised stock objections. It's a good strategy — the structure of this book is not dictated by creationist absurdities, but by good science, and creationism is simply noted where necessary and swatted down efficiently. It's a more powerful tool for it, too — creationists can lie faster than anyone can rebut them, so the best strategy is to focus on the real evidence and force critics to address it directly.
    "Religion is a heavy suitcase: all you have to do is put it down."
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    "I have read the bible...more than once. I was not impressed nor was I so moved to give up my ability to think for myself and surrender my knowledge of facts for the unfounded belief in a mythical sky-fairy." - Me.

I only skimmed it for now, but when I read this paragraph
    According to Coyne, however, “if evolution meant only gradual genetic change within a species, we’d have only one species today—a single highly evolved descendant of the first species. Yet we have many… How does this diversity arise from one ancestral form?” It arises because of “splitting, or, more accurately, speciation,” which “simply means the evolution of different groups that can’t interbreed.”3
    it became extremely obvious that the author really doesn't understand what evolution is or how it works.

Quote Originally Posted by LogicallyYours View Post
    Jonathan Wells is an Intelligent Design (psuedo (sic) science) proponant. (sic) Sadly, Wells doesn't understand that Coynes book supports the theory of Evolution, not undermines it.
    Wells has a PhD in molecular and cell biology. From UC Berkeley.

OF COURSE he "doesn't understand."

OF COURSE.

You're MUCH, MUCH more *intelligent* than Wells..........
    "As an American I am not so shocked that Obama was given the Nobel Peace Prize without any accomplishments to his name, but that America gave him the White House based on the same credentials." - Newt Gingrich

Wiki article,
    Biography

Wells was born in New York City in 1942 and grew up in New Jersey, and was brought up as a Protestant Christian. He studied geology at Princeton University, where he dropped out in his junior year. Following a brief stint as a taxi driver, he was drafted by the army and spent two years serving in Germany. After his discharge in 1966, he attended University of California, Berkeley, where he publicly refused to report for reserve duty. This resulted in him being arrested and being incarcerated for 18 months at the Leavenworth military prison. Upon his release, Wells returned to Berkeley where he completed his studies with a major in geology and physics and a minor in biology Jonathan Wells has received two Ph.D.s, one in Molecular and Cell Biology from the University of California at Berkeley, and one in Religious Studies from Yale University. He has worked as a postdoctoral research biologist at the University of California at Berkeley and the supervisor of a medical laboratory in Fairfield, California, and he has taught biology at California State University in Hayward.

Dr. Wells has published articles in Development, Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences USA, BioSystems, The Scientist and The American Biology Teacher. He is also author of Charles Hodge's Critique of Darwinism (Edwin Mellen Press, 1988) and Icons of Evolution: Why much of what we teach about evolution is wrong (Regnery Publishing, 2000).

Dr. Wells is currently working on a book criticizing the over-emphasis on genes in biology and medicine. .[10][11]

In 1974 Wells joined the Unification Church.[12] He graduated from the church's Unification Theological Seminary in 1978 with a Masters in Religious Education.[13] Wells continued his studies at Yale University, earning a PhD in religious studies in 1986, focusing on historical reactions to Darwinism.[10] During this time he wrote extensively on Unification theology and taught at the Unification Theological Seminary.[13] Wells was on the Board of Trustees of the Unification Theological Seminary until resigning in 1997 to return to teaching.[14] He also acted as the director of the International Religious Foundation, a Unification Church affiliated organization which sponsors interdenominational conferences.[15][16]

Wells has written on the subject of marriage within the Unification Church [17][18] and has been called a "Unification Church marriage expert" by church sources.[19] Wells defended Unification Church theology against what he said were unfair criticisms made in 1977.[20]

In 1994 Wells earned another PhD in Molecular and Cell Biology from UC Berkeley.[10] After receiving his doctorate, he worked at a position he described as "a post-doctoral research biologist at Berkeley, writing articles critical of Darwinism.”[21] Shortly after that Wells joined former UC Berkeley law professor Phillip E. Johnson, father of the intelligent design movement, at the Discovery Institute.[13] He now serves as a fellow at the Discovery Institute's Center for Science and Culture,[22] hub of the intelligent design movement, and at the International Society for Complexity, Information and Design,[23] which also promotes intelligent design.[24]
    And, yes that is the Unification Church run by Sun Myung Moon.
    Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge: it is those who know little, and not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science. -C. Darwin

Quote Originally Posted by Lan View Post
    According to Coyne, however, “if evolution meant only gradual genetic change within a species, we’d have only one species today—a single highly evolved descendant of the first species.
    I haven't read the original article, but this statement is false. It would only be true if selection pressures were exactly the same for all individuals, ie if a particular genetic mutation was beneficial in all enviroments.

Clearly that's not true. A mutation that allows you to say, resist cold, might for example provide little reproductive advantage in Florida, but a lot in Alaska. Thus it may be selected for in Alaska, but not Florida and over time it would become more prelevant in Alaska.

New to scam.com? This is what you can expect from MLM critics in support of their claims ....

Why the f-u-c-k do you need evidence all the time? - Zapticon
    You know that I don't provide proof of my claims - Once Upon A Time
    I have the information but I'm not posting it - Joecool

Quote Originally Posted by IBOFightBack View Post
    I haven't read the original article, but this statement is false. It would only be true if selection pressures were exactly the same for all individuals, ie if a particular genetic mutation was beneficial in all enviroments.

Clearly that's not true. A mutation that allows you to say, resist cold, might for example provide little reproductive advantage in Florida, but a lot in Alaska. Thus it may be selected for in Alaska, but not Florida and over time it would become more prelevant in Alaska.
    Absolutely, right. I have another idea. If, in his opinion, results of evolution must be only one superior species, what this superior species is supposed to eat? He just does not get that for evolution to occur there must be "food chain". So there must be multitude of species, each superior in its own food chain bracket and environment.

LogicallyYours is offline Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings. User Rank

Quote Originally Posted by BarackZero View Post
    Wells has a PhD in molecular and cell biology. From UC Berkeley.

OF COURSE he "doesn't understand."

OF COURSE.

You're MUCH, MUCH more *intelligent* than Wells..........
    ID = Psuedo Science.

U.S. at 591-92; McLean, 529 F. Supp. at 1267. First, defense expert Professor Fuller agreed that ID aspires to “change the ground rules” of science and lead defense expert Professor Behe admitted that his broadened definition of science, which encompasses ID, would also embrace astrology. (28:26 (Fuller); 21:37-42 (Behe)). Moreover, defense expert Professor Minnich acknowledged that for ID to be considered science, the ground rules of science have to be broadened to allow consideration of supernatural forces. (38:97 (Minnich)).

Prominent IDM leaders are in agreement with the opinions expressed by defense expert witnesses that the ground rules of science must be changed for ID to take hold and prosper. William Dembski, for instance, an IDM leader, proclaims that science is ruled by methodological naturalism and argues that this rule must be overturned if ID is to prosper. (5:32-37 (Pennock)); P-341 at 224 (“Indeed, entire fields of inquiry, including especially in the human sciences, will need to be rethought from the ground up in terms of intelligent design.”). The Discovery Institute, the think tank promoting ID whose CRSC developed the Wedge Document, acknowledges as “Governing Goals” to “defeat scientific materialism and its destructive moral, cultural and political legacies” and “replace materialistic explanations with the theistic understanding that nature and human beings are created by God.” (P-140 at 4). In addition, and as previously
    "Religion is a heavy suitcase: all you have to do is put it down."
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    "I have read the bible...more than once. I was not impressed nor was I so moved to give up my ability to think for myself and surrender my knowledge of facts for the unfounded belief in a mythical sky-fairy." - Me.