+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Allstate

Allstate

My first time here. I just received a check and letter from ALLSTATE...with a claim number for $250,000. the check received is for $4985.00; "taxes" due are $4785.75...I have not called the number, but am assuming I will be required to send a check for 199.25. to someone...Has anyone heard of this scam?

Re: Allstate

not exactly. you will be told to send $4785.75, by western union or moneygram before you can get your big cash prize.

the check is fake. your bank will probably give you the cash because your bank has no way to know the check is fake. it is drawn on a real bank account of some business, and the owner or accountant of that business will charge you with fraud when they find that amount on their monthly statement.

if you cash that check you will be held responsible. you may be charged with a crime. your account may be closed. you may be added to a list of people too dumb or crooked to have an account anywhere.

Thank you. I was pretty sure this was a scam. I believe I will provide the letter and check to my local Police Department

I agree with mumbles. It is the classic "send the fake check and convince the victim to Western Union/moneygram cash back to the scammer for imaginary taxes on non-existant lottery winnings".

You could also post any information you have, such as name the scammer used, email address or phone number. That way another suspicious person might find your post when they google for information. Lastly, you could call the issueing bank and make sure the bank has notified the account owner that their account has been compromised and/or checks stolen.
    Found a scam or scammer's email address? Post it at scamwarners.com
    Found a romance scam? Post it at romancescam.com

Thank you. I will be contacting my Police Department, but never thought of calling the company/bank to inform them of the breach in their security. Thanks again!