+ Reply to Thread

'Tis the Season for Charitable Giving

You know, I'm sitting here still pondering that debacle Chris started yesterday by asking for donations to Limu Kids.

Why the hue and cry anyhow?

Was it because of the messenger, the way the message was presented, or was it the charity itself?

Some of you might remember Ricky Brandino of Eniva "fame". He's a true blue mlm'er through and through and is currently with Mandura.

Anyways, his company is affiliated with a well known charity, Kids against Hunger, and he made a similar post on another forum looking for donations also - Mandura Donates 1 Meal to Kids against Hunger For every Bottle sold.

Only he made his presentation in this manner. I'll quote the whole thing as it's rather interesting, and if you have the time or interest to read it, I'd like to know what you think about the way he puts it forth.

The mission of Kids against Hunger, a humanitarian food-aid organization, is to significantly reduce the number of hungry children in the USA and to feed starving children throughout the world. Kids against Hunger is not affiliated with or restricted to a particular religious group and does not discriminate on any basis when distributing its meals. Some of the organizationís volunteers and affiliates are driven by their love of God and helping to feed all of His children, but all religions and non-religious groups are welcome to volunteer, donate, and help in any way.

The organizationís approach to achieving its goal - the eradication of world hunger - includes the packaging of a highly nutritious, vitamin-fortified soy-rice casserole by volunteers at numerous locations within the USA and Canada, and the distribution of those meals to starving children and their families in over 60 countries through partnerships with humanitarian organizations worldwide. In 2008 alone, volunteers at Kids against Hungerís food packaging centers across the USA packaged over 40 million meals for children and their families around the world and around the corner.

The Kids Against Hunger food packaging network consists of the organizationís International Headquarters office located in New Hope, MN (a suburb of Minneapolis), a Division in Mankato, MN, and close to 70 independent non-profit food packaging "satellites" across the U.S. and Canada.

Kids against Hunger was incorporated in 1999, but the organizationís founder, Richard Proudfit, has been involved with various hunger relief projects for over thirty years.

It is the vision of Richard Proudfit and Kids against Hunger:

* To continue setting up food packaging satellites in each state of the USA.
    * To spearhead community and youth volunteer packaging of Kids against Hungerís highly nutritious meals.
    * To deliver Kids against Hungerís food in the USA and worldwide through partnerships with other humanitarian organization

Mandura Donates 1 Meal to Kids against Hunger For every Bottle sold

Last Month I was At the Home office in Jacksonville, FL and we packaged Close to 10,000 Meals.

What a Blast we Had!

Happy Holidays

RickyB
    Sweet!

I checked over at the home page of Kids against Hunger and see they have posted prominently at the bottom of the page:

Kids Against Hunger is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization with the mission
    to significantly reduce the number of hungry children in the U.S.
    and to feed God's starving children throughout the world.

So my question is this.

Say Ricky had came over to this forum and made that post here?

Would the forum members have jumped all over him like they did Chris?

I'm curious.

Any feedback?

And to be clear, I'm in no way associated with Mandura. I know Ricky though, and was quite impressed with the professional way he went about presenting his message.

You might not be buying Mandura this season, but if you're in the giving mood, take a look at the Kids against Hunger website. It seems like a very worthwhile organization.

Re: 'Tis the Season for Charitable Giving

scam.com is in the business of warning people of false charities, not listing all of those that are honest. its not fair to all the honest charites that one is promoted here and not the others.

Rather than "Jumping all over Chris" all people were originally doing was following the guidelines issued by such organizations as the FTC, ACCC and FBI and asking the recommended "due diligence" questions before sending money.

'Tis, indeed "the Season for Charitable Giving" which those in the know tell us is also "the season to be doubly cautious"
    The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing

Quote Originally Posted by mumbles View Post
    scam.com is in the business of warning people of false charities, not listing all of those that are honest. its not fair to all the honest charites that one is promoted here and not the others.
    Fair enough, I guess littleroundman answered the question.

But I'm still not sure if they objected as much to the message as they did to the messenger delivering it.

As for Mumbles, point taken, but I think it is entirely appropriate, especially this time of the year, to have a thread where people can list their favorite charities that they've found to be honest and reputable.

I'm sure any number of people are looking to donate to a worthwhile cause and would like to hear about ones where the bulk of the money goes to the charity and not to the operators pockets.

Myself, I bought some stoves for some families in Darfur and some wells someplace in Africa last year. I like to hear about some lesser known charities that aren't generally in the mainstream but still doing a bang up job in what they're doing.

But this year the animals are in my good books. I think the SPCA is going to get the bulk of my contributions

Holiday Scams: 'Tis The Season To Be Wary

Will a grinch steal your Christmas? Credit card, charity and Internet scams flourish at this time of year.

In Pictures: 10 Holiday-Season Scams

1. Fake Gift Cards

Counterfeit gift cards are sometimes offered via classified or online auction sites at a tremendous discount to the face value. That alone should be the tip-off.

2. Scummy Free Holiday Software

December brings a barrage of Web sites offering free downloads of holiday ringtones for your cellphone and desktop wallpaper for your computer. Experts warn many carry spyware, Trojan horses and other computer nasties that might allow far-away crooks to obtain your personal information.

3. Phony Charities

Preying on concerns for the needy, scamsters solicit "donations" in the name of nonexistent charities. This can be done over the phone, on foot or via e-mail. At the Internal Revenue Service IRS Web site, you can search for a charity by name.

4. Dubious Charities

These are real, but maybe not-so-well-run charities with names that sound like those of prominent, more efficient ones. For names and links to the 200 largest charities and information on their finances, see forbes.com/charities.

5. Bogus Gift Web Sites

If you're surfing the Web and come across a site offering prices way too good to be true, they probably are. It's never been easier for conmen to establish a seemingly legitimate Internet presence. Stick to sites you've used before.

and to feed God's starving children throughout the world.

For being omnipotent he sure is a broke ass heartless c**t