+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 16 of 16

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    9,583

    Weird data suggests something big beyond the edge

    http://www.cosmosmagazine.com/node/3151/full

    by Heather Catchpole

    Something strange appears to be tugging a 'dark flow' of galaxies
    across the universe. is this evidence that parallel universes really
    exist?


    SYDNEY: Astronomers have found the best evidence yet for the weird
    idea that our universe is one of many in the 'multiverse' . What's
    more, these parallel universes seem to be exerting a strange force on
    our own, causing galaxy clusters to stream across space towards the
    edge of the known universe.

    The new evidence comes from studies of 'bumps and wiggles' in the
    temperature of the cosmic background radiation (CMB), the leftover
    afterglow of the Big Bang.

    Dark flow

    U.S. cosmologist Sasha Kashlinsky of the Goddard Space Flight Centre
    in Greenbelt, Maryland, and co-workers measured slight changes in the
    CMB using NASA's Wilkinson Microwave Anisotropy Probe (WMAP). Slight
    deviations in the general expansion of the universe reveal the speed
    and direction of clusters of galaxies.

    Last year, Kashlinksy's team found an unusual pattern in the movementsof galaxy clusters. Instead of expanding at a uniform rate, as
    predicted by Einstein's general theory of relativity and theories of
    dark energy, clusters of galaxies stream in one particular direction
    and at greater than expected speeds.
    They called this weird phenomenon
    the 'dark flow'.

    Now, new research from the team has confirmed and extended this flow
    to three billion light-years from Earth, about one-fifth of the way
    across the universe. The results have been submitted to The
    Astrophysical Journal.

    Best evidence for the multiverse

    The mystery is about what exactly is 'pulling' at the galaxy clusters
    to cause the flow, and this is where parallel universes come in.

    Some theories of the beginning of the universe require multiple
    universes, which are mysteriously 'entangled', much like quantum
    particles at very small scales. The controversial theory suggests that
    although we can't see them, these parallel universes can exert a force
    on our own universe which provokes this 'dark flow'.

    "If the flow extends all the way to the cosmological horizon, as our
    results likely suggest, then its origin likely is tied to the overall
    pre-inflationary structure of space-time [the first milliseconds of
    the Big Bang] and may point to the multiverse in one form or another,"
    Kashlinsy said. "We are continuing the project and expect that our
    future measurements would answer this possibility much more
    definitively. "

    One proponent of the multiverse theory, cosmologist Laura
    Mersini-Houghton from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill,
    U.S., says Kashlinsky's findings are the "most straightforward
    indication of the existence of the multiverse."


    "A multiverse extension of physics revolutionises our understanding of
    nature. It enables us to see the world beyond the horizon of the
    visible universe and reinforces the Copernican principle that our
    universe is neither special nor at the centre of cosmos. It is
    profound," commented Mersini-Houghton.

    Fits the data

    Mersini-Houghton points out the parallel universe theory predicted
    dark flow and even closely matches the speed of the dark flow as
    measured by Kashlinksy.

    But while admitting that the dark flow was "worrying" to conventional
    physics theories such as general relativity, Australian cosmologist
    Warrick Couch of the Swinburne University of Technology in Melbourne
    said he didn't think it was direct proof of parallel universes.

    "It adds an interesting observational fact to the debate, but I'd be
    reluctant to say it's completely proof of the multiverse theory," said
    Couch."I think there are so many multiverse theories and there are so
    many parameters that it's hard to test them all."
    Every Saint has a past, every sinner has a future..

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    2,081

    Re: Weird data suggests something big beyond the e

    I like the multiverse theory; it's much more uplifting than there just being the "big chill" that I saw on T.V. not long ago. Of course, they're both compatible with one another.
    IDK, watching about the degenerate era etc etc etc was... really depressing lol.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    5

    Re: Weird data suggests something big beyond the e

    What I don't understand is what they exactly mean with "parallel". They exist "beyond the edge" of our universe, or they exist "within" our universe?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    9,583

    Re: Weird data suggests something big beyond the e

    Where is Kazza when you need him?

    This would be right up his alley...
    Every Saint has a past, every sinner has a future..

  5. #5
    LogicallyYours's Avatar
    LogicallyYours is offline Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings. User Rank
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    6,352

    Re: Weird data suggests something big beyond the e

    Or we could just have TerryP look it up in his bible. It does have all the answers, you know.
    "Religion is a heavy suitcase: all you have to do is put it down."
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    "I have read the bible...more than once. I was not impressed nor was I so moved to give up my ability to think for myself and surrender my knowledge of facts for the unfounded belief in a mythical sky-fairy." - Me.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    5,324

    Re: Weird data suggests something big beyond the e

    Quote Originally Posted by notimportant View Post
    What I don't understand is what they exactly mean with "parallel". They exist "beyond the edge" of our universe, or they exist "within" our universe?
    They exist parallel to it :judges:.

    Actually, there is a good youtube video that explains this better than I can.



    I'm not sure if it covers parallel universes, but from that video it should be kind of clear. If you have two "flatlands" then you can put them side by side. They could be very close to one another, but a person in flatland 1 can't see a person in flatland 2.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    5,324

    Re: Weird data suggests something big beyond the e

    Quote Originally Posted by Yeah Well Fine Then View Post
    Where is Kazza when you need him?

    This would be right up his alley...
    Lol. I avoided this one.

    I don't like astophysicists. They make a big deal out of everything, and when you really look in to their methods some of it is really dodgy.

    When something in astrophysics has been around for 20 years or so, then I'll consider believing it. Until then....


    If we're going to find concrete evidence of parallel universes, I would look to the LHC in the next couple of years. Results from that experiment would be far more trustworthy than anything the astrophysicists cook up.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    9,583

    Re: Weird data suggests something big beyond the e

    How likely do you estimate it that man will be colonising the moon, within 50 yrs?
    Every Saint has a past, every sinner has a future..

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    5,324

    Re: Weird data suggests something big beyond the e

    Quote Originally Posted by Yeah Well Fine Then View Post
    How likely do you estimate it that man will be colonising the moon, within 50 yrs?
    That's a political question more than a scientific one.

    There's not much reason to go to the moon. There's nothing there. You might as well just be floating around in orbit rather than camping on the moon.

    Well, unless they find water for certain. In which case there might be a good reason to go there. Water means they can get oxygen.


    But I suppose 50 years is a long time. The only reason anyone went to the moon in the first place was to beat Russia. And now China is planning on going, so maybe that will give the USA the motivation they need to make a settlement.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    9,583

    Re: Weird data suggests something big beyond the e

    Quote Originally Posted by kazza View Post
    That's a political question more than a scientific one.

    There's not much reason to go to the moon. There's nothing there. You might as well just be floating around in orbit rather than camping on the moon.

    Well, unless they find water for certain. In which case there might be a good reason to go there. Water means they can get oxygen.


    But I suppose 50 years is a long time. The only reason anyone went to the moon in the first place was to beat Russia. And now China is planning on going, so maybe that will give the USA the motivation they need to make a settlement.

    They may have a motive if they feel that life here is going to be effected by radiation, from a future war?

    I was saying to someone else.

    It is ironic.

    Those that would most likely have the means to decant to the Moon, while this earth burned up, would also be among those who caused the destruction here.

    Their future relatives, born in the colonised moon, they would be spawned from primative aggressors.

    Just like our ancestors were.
    Every Saint has a past, every sinner has a future..

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    5,324

    Re: Weird data suggests something big beyond the e

    Quote Originally Posted by Yeah Well Fine Then View Post
    They may have a motive if they feel that life here is going to be effected by radiation, from a future war?

    I was saying to someone else.

    It is ironic.

    Those that would most likely have the means to decant to the Moon, while this earth burned up, would also be among those who caused the destruction here.

    Their future relatives, born in the colonised moon, they would be spawned from primative aggressors.

    Just like our ancestors were.
    At first that would be true.

    However, as more and more people travelled there, the cost of doing so would decrease.


    It would be like travelling to the Americas 400 years ago. At first, a conquistador would need to obtain financial backing from a noble, or have a small fortune themselves. Eventually, as these people led the way, the cost of travelling decreased.

    Fast forward 400 years, and almost anyone can afford to travel from New York to London. Especially if you're willing to take a boat.



    Same thing will happen with the moon. If we happened to destroy this planet within the first 50 years of moon-travel, then only the rich would be able to evacuate. But if we keep this planet healthy for another 150 years, then space travel will advance and far more people would be able to.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    9,583

    Re: Weird data suggests something big beyond the e

    Quote Originally Posted by kazza View Post
    At first that would be true.

    However, as more and more people travelled there, the cost of doing so would decrease..

    Not if the cost and requirements were kept artificailly high?

    If the top 1% of society and their hangers on, if they ring fenced it, so that they did not need share with the peasants (sic)?
    Every Saint has a past, every sinner has a future..

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    5,324

    Re: Weird data suggests something big beyond the e

    Quote Originally Posted by Yeah Well Fine Then View Post
    Not if the cost and requirements were kept artificailly high?

    If the top 1% of society and their hangers on, if they ring fenced it, so that they did not need share with the peasants (sic)?
    But that's not what's happening.

    Space travel is becoming privatized.

    Anyone with the money is able to build a spaceship and travel into space. No one can stop them.

    There was the X-Prize a few years ago, and that led to Virgin buying the design for the winning space-craft and turning it into something that anyone can take a ride on.

    There are new rounds of the X-Prize as well. Lots of people around the world are designing new spaceships that can travel in to space.


    It's not the moon, yet. But it's going in the right direction.

    To go back to the Americas example - how could the rich have stopped people from going there? You build your own boat, you set sail, and you arrive in America. The moon is huge, you can't stop someone from landing there if they want.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    9,583

    Re: Weird data suggests something big beyond the e

    Quote Originally Posted by kazza View Post
    But that's not what's happening.

    Space travel is becoming privatized.

    Anyone with the money is able to build a spaceship and travel into space. No one can stop them.

    There was the X-Prize a few years ago, and that led to Virgin buying the design for the winning space-craft and turning it into something that anyone can take a ride on.

    There are new rounds of the X-Prize as well. Lots of people around the world are designing new spaceships that can travel in to space.


    It's not the moon, yet. But it's going in the right direction.

    To go back to the Americas example - how could the rich have stopped people from going there? You build your own boat, you set sail, and you arrive in America. The moon is huge, you can't stop someone from landing there if they want.

    I know.

    Richard Branson is making a thing of it, over here.

    But that would be visiting, which could, I suppose, be made relatively affordable, to the masses.

    But I speak of colonisation, placing roots down, being 'allowed' to live there.

    You and I can walk along Bev Hills, or even stay in someone's home there, lol, but the fact is we do not belong there, and moreover, it is unlikely we will.

    Why not?

    Because it will likely always be out of our reach.

    So a precedent exists!
    Every Saint has a past, every sinner has a future..

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    26,286

    Re: Weird data suggests something big beyond the e

    only a LUNAtic would want to live on the moon!? : :yelcutelaughA: :
    i do not endorse/recommend any advertising on scam.com associated with my name /posts or otherwise. thank you

  16. #16
    Lord_jag's Avatar
    Lord_jag is offline I am God because I say I am. Prove me wrong. User Rank
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    2,796

    Re: Weird data suggests something big beyond the e

    Quote Originally Posted by Yeah Well Fine Then View Post
    I know.

    Richard Branson is making a thing of it, over here.

    But that would be visiting, which could, I suppose, be made relatively affordable, to the masses.

    But I speak of colonisation, placing roots down, being 'allowed' to live there.

    You and I can walk along Bev Hills, or even stay in someone's home there, lol, but the fact is we do not belong there, and moreover, it is unlikely we will.

    Why not?

    Because it will likely always be out of our reach.

    So a precedent exists!
    Ah but every square inch of land on earth has one country or another claiming to own it. Sometimes more than one.

    The moon has no claims of ownership. You are allowed to leave your country, then you are allowed to land on the moon and claim it as your own.

    I don't know whether the united nations of earth will allow your new country to join them and be defended by them, but that's all diplomacy at that point.
    A real, honest, falsifiable claim made b.y Seer of dreams:(2011)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cnance View Post
    I believe there will be a nuclear war in October of this year.
    Oh Cnance.... Full of shit as always.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-05-2016, 11:14 AM
  2. Dalai Lama suggests Osama bin Laden's death was ju
    By SnappyDan in forum Political Scams
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-06-2011, 11:14 AM
  3. Sen. Rockefeller Suggests Eliminating FOX, MSNBC
    By SnappyDan in forum Political Scams
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-18-2010, 09:34 AM
  4. Has Bush gone over the edge?
    By Solve et Coagula in forum Political Scams
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 09-11-2006, 11:16 PM
  5. Wal-Mart Memo Suggests Ways to Cut Employee Benefit Costs
    By sojustask in forum Political Scams
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-26-2005, 07:55 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may edit your posts
  •