+ Reply to Thread

The Power of Positive Thinking... Gag!!

Has anyone read Barbara Ehrenreich's latest book, "Bright-Sided: How Positive Thinking is Ruining America?"

The Chapters on the Motivational Business, and the Science of Happiness are especially interesting in the context of this board. Some here may also find the chapter on religion interesting.

Go Ehrenreich!

Re: The Power of Positive Thinking... Gag!!

Quote Originally Posted by Juulie Downs View Post
    Has anyone read Barbara Ehrenreich's latest book, "Bright-Sided: How Positive Thinking is Ruining America?"

The Chapters on the Motivational Business, and the Science of Happiness are especially interesting in the context of this board. Some here may also find the chapter on religion interesting.

Go Ehrenreich!
    Haven't but think I might.
    I read her book "Nickel and Dimed" and found it to be a delightful read!

She's definitely got a great writing style....and if this book is anything like the one I read, she's found a way to literally get inside the 'world' she's writing about.

Go Ehrenreich!
    It sounds interesting Juulie.

Can you say a little more about it?

Thanks for posting.
    As long as it is acceptable for a person to beLIEve that he knows how god wants everyone on Earth to live, we will continue to murder one another on account of our myths. ~ Sam Harris, 'The End Of Faith'
    ~~~~~
    Christianity demands the crucifixion of the intellect.
    ~ Susan Kierkegaard

Quote Originally Posted by ohein56 View Post
    It sounds interesting Juulie.

Can you say a little more about it?

Thanks for posting.
    You'd have to read it to get the full thinking, but basically she shows how the New Thought philosophies of the late 1800's have morphed into the "magical thinking" of today's culture -- in religion it's "Name it and Claim it", in business it's the whole motivational coach thing, in psychology it's the belief that most psychosis is based on "negativity, in medicine it's the supposed link between "positive thinking" and healthier life.

She shows repeatedly how we have taken it way, way too far to the point that most of us are delusional and believe ourselves to be completely in control of every aspect of our lives, even though reality shows again and again that this isn't true.

I've seen all this very clearly myself, but of course I could never written it as well as she does. She's a fabulous writer and a very astute observer.

You'd have to read it to get the full thinking, but basically she shows how the New Thought philosophies of the late 1800's have morphed into the "magical thinking" of today's culture -- in religion it's "Name it and Claim it", in business it's the whole motivational coach thing, in psychology it's the belief that most psychosis is based on "negativity, in medicine it's the supposed link between "positive thinking" and healthier life.

She shows repeatedly how we have taken it way, way too far to the point that most of us are delusional and believe ourselves to be completely in control of every aspect of our lives, even though reality shows again and again that this isn't true.

I've seen all this very clearly myself, but of course I could never written it as well as she does. She's a fabulous writer and a very astute observer.

So, in a nutshell, Law of Attraction is overrated?

I agree completely.

Bet its a great read!

Sounds great.

I'll have to pick it up.

Although over all, a positive mental attitude is much better than a negative one to be sure, but, within reason.

I'll have to pick it up.

Right now the only reading I'm doing is to study for getting a California Real Estate license.

Thanks for the recommendation Juulie.
    As long as it is acceptable for a person to beLIEve that he knows how god wants everyone on Earth to live, we will continue to murder one another on account of our myths. ~ Sam Harris, 'The End Of Faith'
    ~~~~~
    ~ Susan Kierkegaard

Quote Originally Posted by bibleman View Post
    So, in a nutshell, Law of Attraction is overrated?

I agree completely.

Bet its a great read!
    I agree with the B-man! VERY overrated.
    ~~~~~
    ~ Susan Kierkegaard

This thread reminded me of this great quote;

I am a firm believer in 'negative thinking' when used correctly. We need to be AWARE of negatives so that we can steer clear of them. A golfer needs to know where the bunkers and sandtraps are - but he doesn't think continuously about the bunker - where he doesn't want to go. His mind 'glances' at the bunker, but he dwells upon the green.

~ Dr. Maxwell Maltz
    ~~~~~
    ~ Susan Kierkegaard

Yeah I have always laughed when people would talk about the LAW OF ATTRACTION!

All you have to do is imagine it and it will bring it to you. Personally I call that tunnel vision which can get you into a lot of trouble.

Although over all, a positive mental attitude is much better than a negative one to be sure, but, within reason.
    Yea, over all, you're right. BUt it depends on the definition of positive mental attitude. " Keep on trucking, nothing lasts forever, I may be way down but I'm not out". Those are good attitudes.

"If I just keep dreaming, I have to achieve my dream" is delusional.

Sounds great.

I'll have to pick it up.

I'll have to pick it up.

Right now the only reading I'm doing is to study for getting a California Real Estate license.

Thanks for the recommendation Juulie.
    AND

Quote Originally Posted by Juulie
    Yea over all, you're right. BUt it depends on the definition of positive mental attitude. "Keep on trucking, nothing lasts forever, I may be way down but I'm not out". Those are good attitudes.

Right and Right

Yea, over all, you're right. BUt it depends on the definition of positive mental attitude. " Keep on trucking, nothing lasts forever, I may be way down but I'm not out". Those are good attitudes.

Re:Dreams? Woodrow Wilson said;
    We grow great by dreams. All big men are dreamers. They see things in the soft haze of a spring day or in the red fire of a long winter's evening. Some of us let these great dreams die, but others nourish and protect them; nurse them through bad days till they bring them to the sunshine and light, which comes always to those who sincerely hope that their dreams will come true.

~ Woodrow T. Wilson

A few more of my favs...

The poor man is not he who is without a cent, but he who is without a dream.

~ Harry Kemp

You can run from your dreams in fear or run to your dreams with faith.

~ Tina Downey

One more...

The problems of the world cannot possibly be solved by skeptics or cynics whose horizons are limited by obvious realities. We need men and women who can dream of things that never were.

~ John F. Kennedy

Ahhh, last one, promise...

You cannot change anything in your life with intention alone, which can become a watered-down, occasional hope that you'll get to tomorrow. Intention without action is useless.

~ Caroline Myss
    "Dreaming" without action is delusional, I agree 100%.

Happy Thanksgiving to you & yours Juulie!!

Kerry
    ~~~~~
    ~ Susan Kierkegaard

Re:Dreams? Woodrow Wilson said;

"Dreaming" without action is delusional, I agree 100%.

Happy Thanksgiving to you & yours Juulie!!

Kerry
    Not saying dreaming is bad. Just saying that there are no guarantees of achieving the dream. One must keep trying, even knowing that it may never happen. And occasionally, the dream must be modified or adjusted. And that's not bad either.