+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Could this really be happening

Hundreds of English-language Web Sites Spread Al-Qaida's Message to West

RIYADH, Saudi Arabia -- Increasing numbers of English-language Web sites are spreading al-Qaida's message to Muslims in the West. They translate writings and sermons once largely out of reach of English readers and often feature charismatic clerics like Anwar al-Awlaki, who exchanged dozens of e-mails with the Army psychiatrist accused of the Fort Hood shootings.

The U.S.-born al-Awlaki has been an inspiration to several militants arrested in the United States and Canada in recent years, with his Web-based sermons often turning up on their computers.

"The point is you don't have to be an official part of al-Qaida to spread hatred and sectarian views," said Evan Kohlmann, a senior investigator for the New York-based NEFA Foundation, which researches Islamic militants.

"If you look at the most influential documents in terms of homegrown terrorism cases, it's not training manuals on building bombs," Kohlmann said. "The most influential documents are the ones that are written by theological advisers, some of whom are not even official al-Qaida members."

Most of the radical Islamic sites are not run or directed by al-Qaida, but they provide a powerful tool for recruiting sympathizers to its cause of jihad, or holy war, against the United States, experts who track the activity said.

The number of English-language sites sympathetic to al-Qaida has risen from about 30 seven years ago to more than 200 recently, said Abdulmanam Almushawah, head of a Saudi government program called Assakeena, which works to combat militant Islamic Web sites.

In contrast, Arabic-language radical sites have dropped to around 50, down from 1,000 seven years ago, because of efforts by governments around the world to shut them down, he said.

Al-Qaida has long tried to reach a Western audience. Videotaped messages from its leader, Osama bin Laden, and his deputy Ayman al-Zawahri usually have English subtitles. But translations of writings and sermons that form the theological grounding for al-Qaida's ideology, along with preachers like al-Awlaki, mostly eliminate the language barrier.

Al-Awlaki's sermons have turned up on the computers of nearly every homegrown terror suspect arrested in the United States, Kohlmann said.

Members of a group of Canadian Muslims arrested in 2006 for allegedly forming a training camp and plotting bombing attacks in Toronto listened to his online calls for jihad, according to the case against them in court. According to prosecutors, an al-Awlaki sermon on jihad was among the numerous materials _ including videos of beheadings _ found on the computers of five men convicted in December of plotting attacks on the Fort Dix military base in New Jersey.

On his Web site and in widely circulated lectures, the 38-year-old al-Awlaki, now in hiding in Yemen, often calls on Muslims to fight against the United States, accusing it of waging war on Islam in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Nidal Hasan, who has been charged in the Fort Hood shootings, contacted al-Awlaki nearly a year ago. In an interview published in The Washington Post, al-Awlaki said he did not pressure Hasan to carry out the shooting, but after the attack, al-Awlaki praised him as a hero. U.S. investigators have said Hasan appears to have acted alone, not on orders from anyone, when he opened fire Nov. 5 at the Texas military base, killing 13.

The cleric met two of the 9/11 hijackers at mosques where he preached in the United States, and after his return to Yemen he was detained for more than a year on suspicion of involvement in a kidnapping gang. Yemeni officials released him because they could not confirm an al-Qaida link, but they say they are hunting for him again on suspicion he may have ties.

U.S. intelligence officials declined comment on the spread of English-language jihadist Web sites.

Such sites are expected to follow closely the upcoming trials of Hasan and Khalid Sheikh Mohammed, who is accused of being a top architect of the 9/11 attacks, said Rita Katz, head of the U.S. based SITE Intelligence Group, which follows on line militant traffic. The Obama administration announced this week that Mohammed and four others will be put on trial in New York City.

Almushawah said clerics like al-Awlaki are "more dangerous than any other group." And if these clerics are jailed, "it's no big loss for al-Qaida because they don't belong to the network," he said.

Many of the sites post speeches by English-speaking clerics like al-Awlaki or, more often, translations of sermons and lectures by Arabic-speaking clerics.

One site, the Pulpit of Monotheism and Jihad links to sermons by al-Awlaki, alongside English versions of speeches by some of the top sheikhs of jihadist ideology _ even some who are dead like Abdullah Azzam.

The proliferation of sites in English means "potential jihadists can know only their native language and still be radicalized," Katz said.

While al-Awlaki has become popular, "other, more prominent and influential Arabic-speaking jihadist sheikhs ... have had their works and speeches translated into English and other languages. Their works tend to be used more often by the jihadist community to justify violence," she said in an e-mail interview. Al-Awlaki "fills a void in that he can directly interact, understand and communicate with English-speaking jihadists in a way that Arabic-speaking clerics cannot."

Almushawah says most of the servers for the sites are in Britain, but they can be run from anywhere and most of them are operated and receive content from the U.S. Most of the clerics who appear on them are in the Arab world with some in France and England.

U.S. intelligence officials declined to comment on the spread of English language sites and their influence.

Saudi Arabia set up its Assakeena program after authorities found that 70 percent of al-Qaida sympathizers were drawn to the group through the Internet. In the campaign, government-backed preachers monitor 400 radical Islamic web sites and inject a more moderate message on the sites.

The campaigners also directly contact and dialogue with militants they encounter on the Web, conversations that can take weeks or months. Of 2,631 militants contacted by the group, 1,170 withdrew their support for radicals, according to the campaign. About a fifth of the militants were from Europe and North American, and the rest from Arab countries.

Assakeena _ the name is Arabic for "Tranquility from God" _ is part of other hearts-and-minds programs the kingdom launched to complement its crackdown on al-Qaida after the group carried out a series of attacks on foreigners and oil infrastructure in 2004.

____

Keath reported from Cairo.

2009 Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Re: Could this really be happening

Not really surprising. You can find ANYTHING online... all you need to do is look for it. The only way to stop it would be to have a "government content filter" installed on your computer... or on all servers in the U.S....

Quote Originally Posted by PaulM View Post
    Not really surprising. You can find ANYTHING online... all you need to do is look for it. The only way to stop it would be to have a "government content filter" installed on your computer... or on all servers in the U.S....

Which OT clearly would not want, or else he would not have said this

'The more you ban something the more people want it.'

On this thread.

http://www.scam.com/showthread.php?t=122862
    Every Saint has a past, every sinner has a future..

See? THAT'S why you should have bombed 'em back to the stone age when you had the chance.

But did we listen? Noooo.

The reich is always right... or is it the other way around?

Quote Originally Posted by citizenzen View Post
    See? THAT'S why you should have bombed 'em back to the stone age when you had the chance.

But did we listen? Noooo.

The reich is always right... or is it the other way around?
    Citizen, you know that gun thread that was kicking about on here, the other night...

The general consensus was that it is okay to have firearms lying around the house, and that should anyone break in, lethal force is feasible.

I have been reviewing my position as liberal/Nazi/Communist/Jew hater/US hater/Hamas Supporter.

I am going to get a gun, lest an Elk or Moose break in.

But answer me this, sir.

Would it be okay if I shot said intruder, in a pre emptive manner, in the same way that the Government murder innocent people 'just in case'..?

Thanks

YWFT

Quote Originally Posted by Yeah Well Fine Then View Post

:rotz:

To bad I didn't take a picture of the deer that walked up to my car (as I almost hit it) on the road to the grocery store. Just because you don't live in an area where that kind of shit happens doesn't mean it doesn't happen Steve. The population of the state I live in is less than that of Glasgow - a single city in Scotland. But ask OT, he lives in Wyoming as well. Generally speaking the animals here have no fear of human beings. They'll walk right up to your car, your home, and you. Do you have any idea what it's like to open your door and see an animal that weighs around 800 lbs and is 5 feet tall at the shoulder? No, you don't, do you?

[QUOTE=lisan23;841218 Do you have any idea what it's like to open your door and see an animal that weighs around 800 lbs and is 5 feet tall at the shoulder? No, you don't, do you?[/QUOTE]

Yes I do.

I divorced her.

Lighten up, lass.

I was clearly having a larf!

:cwm2:

Proper ed up the quote function.

Bad Nazi/Commie that I am.

See.

That'll learn me.

Would it be okay if I shot said intruder, in a pre emptive manner, in the same way that the Government murder innocent people 'just in case'..?
    Based on you perceiving a threat, but before any threat actually materialized?

Why, I believe you could... I do believe you could.

Quote Originally Posted by lisan23 View Post
    To bad I didn't take a picture of the deer that walked up to my car (as I almost hit it) on the road to the grocery store.
    What are you going to do? Shoot a deer because it ate your roses?

I live in the northwest corner of California. We have bear, mountain lions, elk, and deer too. Somehow we manage to get by without blasting them just for being near us.

Quote Originally Posted by citizenzen View Post
    What are you going to do? Shoot a deer because it ate your roses?

I live in the northwest corner of California. We have bear, mountain lions, elk, and deer too. Somehow we manage to get by without blasting them just for being near us.
    Did I say that I was going to shoot a deer because it ate my roses? (Which I actually don't have any of...)

NO. I use my gun for recreational purposes ONLY. I won't even go hunting with my husband. BUT if the need ever arises that my family is threatened by an animal I have the means to take care of it. I cried when I accidentally hit a cat with my car, and I don't even like cats. I will not willingly take the life of another creature unless I absolutely have to.

Yes I do.

I divorced her.

Lighten up, lass.

I was clearly having a larf!

:cwm2:
    your larf made me fard! made the dog fark too!? :freak3: :spin2: :
    i do not endorse/recommend any advertising on scam.com associated with my name /posts or otherwise. thank you

I will not willingly take the life of another creature unless I absolutely have to.
    Okay, but you keep on talking about how necessary it is to have a gun and how deer get uncomfortably close to you.... like they're invading your personal space.

I want to state for the record that I don't support shooting animals for invading your space. Of course you'd like them to be more considerate, but hey, they're just animals.

Citizen, you know that gun thread that was kicking about on here, the other night...

The general consensus was that it is okay to have firearms lying around the house, and that should anyone break in, lethal force is feasible.

I have been reviewing my position as liberal/Nazi/Communist/Jew hater/US hater/Hamas Supporter.

But answer me this, sir.

Thanks

YWFT
    In this country, if someone does break into your home, you have the right to defend it. You do not have to ask that person if they are there to just steal from you or if they are there to rape and kill you and your family.

The use of deadly force is allowed once that happens because you have no knowledge of that persons intent. But that is only in effect if they are already into your home.

By the same token, if someone is trying to break into your home you may not use deady force as long as they are not actually inside your home.

If there is no one inside your home and someone is trying to burn it down, again deadly force is not warranted as life itself is not threatened.

Deadly force may only be used when life itself is threatened.

In this Country we are granted the right to defend our lives, our family and our homes by the United States Constitution.

Which OT clearly would not want, or else he would not have said this

'The more you ban something the more people want it.'

On this thread.

http://www.scam.com/showthread.php?t=122862

I believe what Paul is talking about is censorship. That is something any government would like to or already does to its people.

:rotz:

To bad I didn't take a picture of the deer that walked up to my car (as I almost hit it) on the road to the grocery store. Just because you don't live in an area where that kind of shit happens doesn't mean it doesn't happen Steve. The population of the state I live in is less than that of Glasgow - a single city in Scotland. But ask OT, he lives in Wyoming as well. Generally speaking the animals here have no fear of human beings. They'll walk right up to your car, your home, and you. Do you have any idea what it's like to open your door and see an animal that weighs around 800 lbs and is 5 feet tall at the shoulder? No, you don't, do you?
    I agree with Lisan. Here in Jackson we are surrounded by national forests where game is abundant. During bad winters when foodis scarce in the high country it is not unusual at all to see a herd of deer in town or a herd of moose or elk. Bear and coyote do wander down here at times to. there are several mountain lion dens not to far rom Jackson and not to mention the wolves. We are also right next door to the national elk reuge where about 11,000 or so elk come each year as part of thjeir migratory habits and are fed. It is right on the edge of town and you scan even drive right up to the large herds.

As I live on the outskirts of town I see a lot more than most. If you think that a koose or elk with a couple of females and som babies wont charge you in their defense if he thinks you are to close you are badly mistaken. Also athere are times when a wounded animl will be in town and has to be put down as they will attack most anything.

We are not all kill crazy, and most of us do enjoy the wild life around us and try to live in peace with them. But we do have the right to defend ourselves. Two legged or four legged

And believe it or not, most of the animal related problems come from the tourists that think these are tame animals there for them to pet. The worst isthe buffalo in the park. Each year tourists are either maimed or killed because they will not listen or read and believe the sign that the buffalo are indeed wild animals just as the bears are and they will kill you.