+ Reply to Thread

Check Scam? No letter received.

I received a check. No letter, no contact with anyone online. I haven't cashed it yet. I don't have to send any money back and it isn't a cashier's check. Am I liable if i do cash it? Even though I haven't talked to anyone would I get into trouble. It's for $3400 and from a legitimate company and the bank account is legitimate too.

Anyone have suggestions to what I should do? or information on what I would be liable for?

Re: Check Scam? No letter received.

If check is fake and scammers just forgot to put a letter with it, you will be liable for cashing/depositing fake check. Penalty will depend on your bank's policy. Some will charge you $50 for bounced check and some may freeze your checking account.

So if you decide to deposit it, make sure that you informed bank manager that check is suspicious.

the bank may close your account and place you on a list of crooked people that can't open accounts anywhere. you may be arrested and questioned. if you didn't have some transaction with that company to explain why they would be paying you, you are commiting a theft by cashing the check.

At least wait for couple of weeks for "additional instructions" before depositing check. Meanwhile, contact company that is payer on the check and ask them if they actually send it to you. Also contact bank that issued check and ask to whom this check belongs.

If at any time you get those "instructions", stop investigation and tear off fake check.
    Last edited by BorisZ; 11-21-2009 at 06:15 PM.

I agree with mumbles and BorisZ.

Would also like to also add 2 things.

Did you recently fill out an online survey, apply for something or otherwise input your address online somewhere? That could be where the scammer got your address.

The company name, bank and account number could all be correct and valid but the check could still be fake. Call the issueing bank, chances are they have seen hundreds of copies of that one check. That check probably started life last year as a real check and now has been photochopped and rephotochopped dozens of times.

Just shred it and ignore any emails or phone calls asking or telling you to cash it and Western Union/moneygram the cash somewhere.
    Found a scam or scammer's email address? Post it at scamwarners.com
    Found a romance scam? Post it at romancescam.com

Don't cash it because they will get your account number and clean you out. I received one from Wells Fargo certified check of $2,500.00 and my bank said that even though you can open a new account, when the check comes back you will be liable for the fee (and also if they somehow clean this account, you will be liable for the withdrawal). I hope this help.

Someone received a faked check with my account number on it today. Luckily my bank caught it as it was NOT one of my checks. The person also received a second check with it. No letter or instructions. Envelope was post marked from Spain. How does this scam work? My account has been closed!:bah:

something or somebody is messing up the crook's plan.

guy wanted to sell his old boat, listed it on local classified online ads. he was contacted by eager buyer who said, just what i want! here's $4000, which is $2500 for your boat and $1500 for the shipper that will come pick it up.

deposit the check, send the $1500 to the shipper for me, by western union, and the boat is gone. poor guy still had the boat, and the bill for docking at the marina, was missing $1500 when the check came back and was deducted from his account.

it could be some people are pranking the crooks by giving them a random name & address to send the fake check to.
    Last edited by mumbles; 03-04-2011 at 08:22 PM.