+ Reply to Thread

Why did God destroy Sodom and Gomorrah?

Ezekiel 16:49-50
    49 " 'Now this was the sin of your sister Sodom: She and her daughters were arrogant, overfed and unconcerned; they did not help the poor and needy. 50 They were haughty and did detestable things before me. Therefore I did away with them as you have seen.

2 Peter 2:6
    6and if He condemned the cities of Sodom and Gomorrah to destruction by reducing them to ashes, having made them an example to those who would live ungodly lives thereafter

Jude 1:7
    7just as Sodom and Gomorrah and the cities around them, since they in the same way as these indulged in gross immorality and went after strange flesh, are exhibited as an example in undergoing the punishment of eternal fire.

"There is HOPE for homosexuals! Jesus even blasted certain cities of His day as worse than Sodom and Gomorrha, and indicated they would've repented given half a chance. He did state their "day in court" would be better than those who had seen the Light and yet chose to remain in religious darkness (Mat. 10:15; 11:2- 24). God condemns their spiritual preference as inexcusable. Their lust for man-made traditions was greater than their love for God's truth. Are homosexuals alone branded as Sodomites? Was that Sodom and Gomorrha's only claim to fame? Actually their sins ranged from downright snobbery to a lack of compassion; full bank accounts but empty lives. Obviously there was a great divide between the rich and the poor, but they all shared sin in common (Ezek. 16:49-50). Their "anything goes" attitude and "do your own thing" atmosphere, reveals how low you can go. Their descent into depravity was undoubtedly hailed as a new era of "understanding," and their tolerance level for perversion praised as being "open-minded." So open-minded their brains fell out! Yet their DESTRUCTION is intended to dramatize the end result of living the wrong way. That warning message isn't only directed towards homosexuals (2 Pet. 2:6; Jude 7). God even refers to today's RELIGIOUS ESTABLISHMENT as "Sodom and Egypt..." - too PROUD AND STUBBORN to change (Rev. 11:8)! We're reminded that this affliction affects both young and old, high and low, rich and poor (Gen. 19:4, 11). Sin doesn't discriminate. Iniquity accepts all." - Excerpt from God and the Gays: A Time to Heal (Chapter 5)

Re: Why did God destroy Sodom and Gomorrah?

I thought it was to open up the real estate there. Flatland property was all the rage then.

Quote Originally Posted by WitchBoy View Post
    I thought it was to open up the real estate there.
    THINK again (Isaiah 55:7-9).

Quote Originally Posted by David Ben-Ariel View Post
    THINK again (Isaiah 55:7-9).
    The bible doesn't even address property values or real estate, so it doesn't make a good counter to WitchBoy's claim.

If God was wanting to invest in the property, I have no doubt he could easily destroy the inhabitants of that land.

And, we have to keep in mind that this was all before the big Housing Bubble burst, 3000 BC.

I think he's suggesting that God will destroy all of the United states. The political right for being arrogant, sense of entitlement and not helping the needy and the political left for not killing gays.

Than again God would end up destroying every Westernized nation on earth by that definition in one way shape or form. Leaving only Iran and Afghanistan. Not a pretty world view.

wasn't it something to do with there being any good men there!? got down to 10 or more!? i'd of tried 1 based on the 99 sheep thing!? :freak3: :cwm2: :
    i do not endorse/recommend any advertising on scam.com associated with my name /posts or otherwise. thank you

Quote Originally Posted by lexx View Post
    wasn't it something to do with there being any good men there!? got down to 10 or more!? i'd of tried 1 based on the 99 sheep thing!? :freak3: :cwm2: :
    That's my recollection. Supposedly YHWH destroyed it because of their lack of compassion and hospitality to their fellow man.

Of course, when Cecil B Demille did his version, it was because the populace was painting eyes on their palms, and drinking and dancing alot.

Hello
    Sodom and Gomorrah fell from natural catastrophes, but when science was not known what happened was attributed to god. There are several interesting theories about what could have destroyed two places so quickly.
    It is unknown whether or not the events were written about by contemporaries or some time afterwards, in which case accounts could have been garbled, as could the 'sins' referred to.
    As for Mary Magdalene, it is not known that she was a prostitute. Stoning was a primitive way of getting rid of people who were perhaps independently minded, perhaps law breakers. All the gospels were written decades later so details get lost or mixed up.