+ Reply to Thread

DeeDee1965 is offline Gold Scams Member User Rank

This is why an English only National Anthem is a, DISTRACTION.....

Hello People,

This is the beginning of fascism.

PAY ATTENTION!!!!! :eek: :eek:

In Leak Cases, New Pressure on Journalists

By ADAM LIPTAK
    Published: April 30, 2006

Earlier administrations have fired and prosecuted government officials who provided classified information to the press. They have also tried to force reporters to identify their sources.

But the Bush administration is exploring a more radical measure to protect information it says is vital to national security: the criminal prosecution of reporters under the espionage laws.

Such an approach would signal a thorough revision of the informal rules of engagement that have governed the relationship between the press and the government for many decades. Leaking in Washington is commonplace and typically entails tolerable risks for government officials and, at worst, the possibility of subpoenas to journalists seeking the identities of sources.

But the Bush administration is putting pressure on the press as never before, and it is operating in a judicial climate that seems increasingly receptive to constraints on journalists.

In the last year alone, a reporter for The New York Times was jailed for refusing to testify about a confidential source; her source, a White House aide, was prosecuted on charges that he lied about his contacts with reporters; a C.I.A. analyst was dismissed for unauthorized contacts with reporters; and a raft of subpoenas to reporters were largely upheld by the courts.

It is not easy to gauge whether the administration will move beyond these efforts to criminal prosecutions of reporters. In public statements and court papers, administration officials have said the law allows such prosecutions and that they will use their prosecutorial discretion in this area judiciously. But there is no indication that a decision to begin such a prosecution has been made. A Justice Department spokeswoman, Tasia Scolinos, declined to comment on Friday.

Because such prosecutions of reporters are unknown, they are widely thought inconceivable. But legal experts say that existing laws may well allow holding the press to account criminally. Should the administration pursue the matter, these experts say, it could gain a tool that would thoroughly alter the balance of power between the government and the press.

The administration and its allies say that all avenues must be explored to ensure that vital national security information does not fall into the hands of the nation's

Full Story at Link

:cool:

Re: This is why an English only National Anthem is a, DISTRACTION.....

I don't think it's fascism in this case. Isn't it fair that journalists should have penalties for disclosing sensitive information to the public when that information could possibly cause innocent people to die?
    Journalists should be able to say whatever they want about information that's obtained legally. Common sense seems to be a lost artform among some "newsies".

Does it not occur to them that when they broadcast on TV it's not only going to Americans, but the entire world?

Quote Originally Posted by SubJunk
    I don't think it's fascism in this case. Isn't it fair that journalists should have penalties for disclosing sensitive information to the public when that information could possibly cause innocent people to die?
    Journalists should be able to say whatever they want about information that's obtained legally. Common sense seems to be a lost artform among some "newsies".

Does it not occur to them that when they broadcast on TV it's not only going to Americans, but the entire world?
    I agree. And as the Bush haters like to say "no one is above the law". I think that should apply to journalists also.
    It's not the journalists that piss me off though. Its the government officials that break their oaths that should be punished.

Quote Originally Posted by DeeDee1965
    In Leak Cases, New Pressure on Journalists
    Hi DeeDee... I'm sorry, but I can't say I totally disagree with this. What concerns me, is that the reporters have no way of distinquishing between what is "safe" to tell and what is not. We really and truly DO NOT need to know everything...

I can tell you that there have been many times that I have done a double-take when I hear something on the news. There have been things said that I immediately thought, "why the hell is he saying that on national TV"?

Take the search for Bin Laden, for example. It's no wonder we can't find the bastard... everytime somebody thinks they know where he is, it gets publicized on the news!! So what's he gonna do - STAY THERE until we get there to get him?? lol - I think not.... Then Rumsfeld stands around scratching his head, wondering how the hell Osama got away - AGAIN. It's crazy!!

This problem goes beyond the leaks though. Look at all the "copy cat" killings that take place. People are NUTS! - they will do anything for their "15 minutes of fame".

This was particularly disturbing to me during the whole Columbine tragedy. I couldn't understand why all the details were disclosed to the public for other unstable, possibly suicidal kids to see.... :confused:

There should be a limit to what is allowed to be broadcast for the whole world to see. Who gets the "breaking news" story out there first can sometimes result in more tragedy.

You know what I mean?

DeeDee1965 is offline Gold Scams Member User Rank

People,

I did not say it *was* fascism, I said it was the beginning of fascism. That is why paying attention, is crucial. When the soldiers are walking down the street in jackboots, it will be too late, to do anything about it.

Scaring the media into NOT doing their job, creates more, of a lack of information, then we already have.

The reporters are not reporting "classified information." THEY DO NOT HAVE ACCESS TO IT! This is called, blame and then, kill the messenger.

The White house leaks classified information....the CIA gets pissed off, demand an investigation..... the investigation leads to, White House Staffer misconduct.....and all of a sudden, journalist, on their own, with no access to the information, are reporting "sensitive, classified, national secrets".

Please look back at my thread entitled, "Slouching Toward Kristallnacht." This how is begins, and if not challenged, this is how it succeeds.

I am not Chicken Little, I am a student of history. We are repeating the period after W.W.I, leading up to W.W.II. Only we are going at brake neck speed.

~~One day, a jingoistic reaction to the National Anthem being sung in Spanish.
    ~~The next day, bringing the hammer down, on journalists.

This has the sickening, putrid smell of Fascism. The corrupt body, has not taken it's place yet, but if we do not pay attention, it will. Do not take my word for, do the research.

Lastly, there is talk, about the telephone companies making the Internet, pay as you play. Liberal, progressive, and alternative, and rational conservative news outlets, will be slowly, but surely, shut down.

Come on people, fascism has to start somewhere. It starts with, stopping ALL information, good, bad and indifferent information. After stopping all information, the manufacturing begins, on a scale, we have not seen since Nazi Germany.

DeeDee1965

Quote Originally Posted by DeeDee1965
    Come on people, fascism has to start somewhere. It starts with, stopping ALL information, good, bad and indifferent information. After stopping all information, the manufacturing begins, on a scale, we have not seen since Nazi Germany.
    Hi DeeDee,

I need to clarify.... I agree with what you are saying here. The government should not be allowed to place restrictions on journalism of any kind.

What I meant is that I think the reporters THEMSELVES, and the networks they are employed by, should set certain limits on what becomes public information. I can see that I went off topic here... sorry! :o

CV
    Last edited by Connecticut Victim; 05-01-2006 at 02:31 AM.