+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 11 1234567891011 LastLast

SPANISH Star-Spangled Banner?? FVCK THAT!! Kudos to Bush!

Okay people...

RARELY do we see things eye to eye around here. But CAN WE ALL AGREE that these fvcking people have taken things way too far this time????

I don't know about the rest of you, but I've had all of this sh!t I can stomach. This song should be seen as a BLATANT slap in the face to every American citizen. Any empathy or understanding I had for these immigrants - illegal or not - went right out the window when I heard this song just now. Fvck these people - this is NOT their country. They ALL need to have their Mexican asses tossed back across the border where they came from. Enough is enough.

Here's a shocker - I haven't said this since the attacks on 9/11, but I will happily admit, that today...

** I WAS VERY PROUD OF PRESIDENT BUSH **

Bush pans Spanish "Star-Spangled Banner"
    By Matthew Robinson

NEW YORK (Reuters) - The "Star-Spangled Banner" debuted on Friday with new Latin beat and Spanish lyrics but it did not win a glowing review from President George W. Bush, who said the cherished national anthem should be sung in English.

Latin American artists recorded "Nuestro Himno" (Our Anthem) to stir immigrants to turn out for a national boycott and marches for rights across the country on May 1. Instead they stirred up the ire of those who see it as further polarizing Americans. One Internet columnist dubbed it "The Illegal Alien Anthem."

Bush told reporters at a White House Rose Garden news conference the anthem would not have the same value sung in Spanish.

"The national anthem ought to be sung in English. And I think people who want to be citizens of this country ought to learn it in English. They ought to learn to sing the national anthem in English."

The artists on the song include Gloria Trevi, Ivy Queen, Carlos Ponce as well as Haitian American singer Wyclef Jean. It was released through Urban Box Office.

The buildup to the May 1 immigrants' rights event has fuelled a debate that has divided Congress, the Republican Party, and public opinion.

Conservatives want the estimated 12 million illegal immigrants deported and a fence built along the border with Mexico. Bush has risked the ire of his own Republican party by supporting a guest-worker program and a path to citizenship.

SPANISH TRANSLATION

The idea of translating the U.S. national anthem into Spanish followed an April rally for immigrants in Washington when Spanish-speakers were handed cards printed with the words to the anthem printed in English and with a phonetic pronunciation guide underneath.

"We wanted to teach the anthem and the Pledge (of Allegiance), so we came up with the idea of the national anthem in Spanish," said Juan Carlos Ruiz, the general coordinator of the National Capital Immigration Coalition, which will receive a portion of the proceeds from the CD the song will appear on.

"There are people who are going to attack us no matter what we do. We want to be a part of this country," Ruiz said. "We want to improve America."

He said the Spanish version attempts to convey the meaning of the lyrics rather a direct translation.

"We tried to show the meaning of the song," he said. "It has a Latin beat and a Reggaeton beat which are basically our cultural music," Ruiz added.

Internet columnist Michelle Malkin, who has called it the "The Illegal Alien Anthem" in blogs this week, and others complain that that the lyrics are rewritten, adding phrases like "We are brothers, that's our anthem."

The "Star-Spangled Banner" was written by Francis Scott Key in 1814 during the War of 1812 with Britain and was sung to the tune of "To Anacreon in Heaven," a British drinking song. It became the national anthem in 1931.

Re: SPANISH Star-Spangled Banner?? FVCK THAT!! Kudos to Bush!

English translation:

By the light of the dawn, do you see arising,

what we proudly hailed at twilight's last fall?

Its stars, its stripes

yesterday streamed

above fierce combat

a gleaming emblem of victory

and the struggle toward liberty.

Throughout the night, they proclaimed:

"We will defend it!"

Tell me! Does its starry beauty still wave

above the land of the free,

the sacred flag?

Its stars, its stripes,

liberty, we are the same.

We are brothers in our anthem.

In fierce combat, a gleaming emblem of victory

My people fight on.

The time has come to break the chains.

Throughout the night they proclaimed, "We will defend it!"

Tell me! Does its starry beauty still wave

the sacred flag?

I'm actually very surprised in his reactions to it. I honestly thought he would praise the producers of this garbage and reward them for making a more sensitive version of the song to his illegal alien friends.

Kudos to Bush this time, but, so what? He's talking out of both sides of his mouth on this one....He says he doesn't like it, but that is exactly what this country is heading toward with his open border policies. He should be thanking the producers for excellerating the rate of change from America to Mexico.

Quote Originally Posted by RedFusion
    Kudos to Bush this time, but, so what? He's talking out of both sides of his mouth on this one....He says he doesn't like it, but that is exactly what this country is heading toward with his open border policies. He should be thanking the producers for excellerating the rate of change from America to Mexico.
    I know Red... but fair is fair - and Bush deserves credit for defending our National Anthem. :)

I would like to know why WE ARE NOT MARCHING IN PROTEST of everything that's going on here??? I have neither seen nor heard of any such organized protests, have you?

Why are we sitting back and leaving it up to our government officials alone to decide the fate of these immigrants? Is our passiveness being misconstrewd as approval by "The Decider"??

Shouldn't those of us who ACTUALLY BELONG HERE be gathering in the streets to defend OUR COUNTRY?? We DO still out number them, don't we????

Bottom line... It will be OUR FAULT if the USA turns into the United States of Mexico.

But I can tell you this much.. Democrat or Republican - the ones who will get my vote in November will be the ones who are AGAINST allowing these immigrants total access to this country.
    I'm sick of this sh!t........ :mad:

Mexicans back to Mexico? Of course does that mean that Mexico gets back California, New Mexico, Texas, Arizona, and Nevada?

Hi CV,

Well, the time has come. We are about to have our first quarrel. :(

CV, the fact that Pres. Bush has made a statement about "English only Star Spangled Banner," gets everyone off the topic of, an illegal, immoral, and disastrous war. Also,it distracts us from his, saber rattling at Iran, another attempt at US imperial expansion.

We have troops dying in Iraq, Katrina victims are still homeless, and unable to go back to New Orleans. Real wages are still dropping. The economy is tanking. The Bill of Rights and the Constitution is slowly, but surely being shredded. Domestic wiretapping, domestic surveillance, White House leaks ( KKKarl Rove is in BIG trouble :D ) gas prices, going through the roof, and no end in sight.

We have until January 20, 2009, to put up with this President and his administration. I cannot imagine, what they have in store for us in the next three years. :eek:

Finally, a sure sign of fascism, is fervent nationalistic "pride." Our country has so much to proud of. Our form of government, our judicial system (please, for the sake of argument, let's agree on this), our unparalleled wealth, and opportunity.

And, by the grace of God, and despite Pres, Bush's attempts to thwart all these things, his championing the National Anthem, is not enough. If he actually championed being President, I would be more inclined to pay attention. As things stand, he was not seen fit to "be a President" yet.

While the national Anthem is a beautiful, and symbolic, rallying point for all Americans, it is a symbol. Singing it in Spanish, or Chinese, will not affect, all the things, this country, who has been the envy of the world ( until we reelected Bush :p), have to be proud of.

DeeDee1965

Quote Originally Posted by Rusted
    Mexicans back to Mexico? Of course does that mean that Mexico gets back California, New Mexico, Texas, Arizona, and Nevada?
    NO - if we give anything back to anybody - the INDIANS have first dibbs... :rolleyes:

Double D is right. Are we Americans so onion skinned that we rise in anger when "beaners" sing the national anthem in Spanish?

Tell me Conneticut... what words are you offended at?, here, I copied and pasted some of the song here:

"Tell me! Does its starry beauty still wave

the sacred flag?

Its stars, its stripes,

liberty, we are the same.

We are brothers in our anthem.

In fierce combat, a gleaming emblem of victory

My people fight on."

Does this sound like a group of people who hate this country?
    Does this sound like a group of people who are busy raping and committing crimes to the point that they want to show respect to this country?
    Does this sound like people who are here to sell drugs?
    Does this sound like a group of people who are hateful? Where is the hate?

These people want opportunity. They want something better than what they had back in Mexico. These people want a second chance. These poor bastards are caught in between staying in Mexico and suffering their lot in life or braving the border to come work for a better wage in the land of the free, the land of the brave.

You show such hatred for these people who love this fvcking country soooooooooooo much that they took the anthem and sung it in Spanish. And you see nothing but a slap in the face. Did you stop for one second, for one freaking second to examine their motive? Are we so ethnocentric that our nation says that our American songs are to be only sung in English? Where does it say this?

It is your perception that chooses to be angry. Your perception that believes that we have been insulted. How in the name of God do you see this as an insult? How in the fvck do you not look at the people of this country and realize that every damn kid resites the pledge of allegance with empty feeling, or sings the Star Spangled Banner without emotion because they don't care and they never will, since over 30% of our nation's high schoolers are dropping out of school. Here, our own white people don't care and in comes some taco bending, tequila drinking beaners who are fat and lazy and take our jobs away and how dare they sing our song in Spanish.

You did not take the time to examine both sides of this issue.

And is this issue such an affront that it takes precident over all else that is happening? Much the way Cheney shooting the old man did, which is a complete distraction.

When people talk of these idiocies, they are not talking about the evils that plague this country... which Mexicans singing our song is not one of.

Or do you really think that this is such a hot topic?
    No! We can't all just "Get Along!"

Quote Originally Posted by Rusted
    Maybe, but they would have to pay a very hefty fee for it.
    A little history---->

We have fought wars with Mexico in the past. Indeed, Mexico had invited Americans to settle Texas after it had won independence from Spain. In 1836, after the Alamo was overrun, the Battle of San Jacinto resulted in Texas becoming an independent republic. By 1845, the US had annexed Texas. This was followed by the Mexican-American war in 1846-7. By September 14, 1847, our Marines were in Mexico City and we are still singing about the “Halls of Montezuma.” The Treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo ended the war with the annexation of the Oregon Territory and much of the Southwest, i.e., California, New Mexico, Nevada, and Utah. The US paid Mexico $15 million for the land acquired. The US paid additional millions for the Gadsden Purchase of land that now comprises a part of Arizona.

We beat them, and we paid for the land. Learn the history folks , and don't buy into the lies.

Quote Originally Posted by DeeDee1965
    Hi CV,
    Well, the time has come. We are about to have our first quarrel.
    Not likely DeeDee.. ;)

CV, the fact that Pres. Bush has made a statement about "English only Star Spangled Banner," gets everyone off the topic of, an illegal, immoral, and disastrous war. Also,it distracts us from his, saber rattling at Iran, another attempt at US imperial expansion.

We have troops dying in Iraq, Katrina victims are still homeless, and unable to go back to New Orleans. Real wages are still dropping. The economy is tanking. The Bill of Rights and the Constitution is slowly, but surely being shredded. Domestic wiretapping, domestic surveillance, White House leaks ( KKKarl Rove is in BIG trouble :D ) gas prices, going through the roof, and no end in sight.
    I am not that easily distracted DeeDee. Believe me - my disapproval of this president has not changed with regards to everything you has mentioned here - and then some.

I've been waiting a very long time for this man to say or do something that pleased me. Yesterday was the day. His disapproval of the misuse of our National Anthem pleasantly surprised me - I was shocked!! Even if was a "smoke screen", it felt good to hear those words come out of this mouth. He seemed "American" to me for the first time in a long time....

We have until January 20, 2009, to put up with this President and his administration. I cannot imagine, what they have in store for us in the next three years. :eek:
    Yeah, I know. And this immigration bullsh!t is just one more thing on top of everything else.

Finally, a sure sign of fascism, is fervent nationalistic "pride." Our country has so much to proud of. Our form of government, our judicial system (please, for the sake of argument, let's agree on this), our unparalleled wealth, and opportunity.
    We have so much to be proud of? Really deeDee?? Here's what I see these days:

Our form of government - a bunch of self centered morons on both sides of the aisle who couldn't care less about this country.

our judicial system - the more money one has, the better it works for them.

our unparalleled wealth -

The Outstanding Public Debt as of 30 Apr 2006 at 12:40:21 AM GMT is:

$8,368,753,971,931.27

(That's eight TRILLION - three hundred, sixty eigth BILLION - seven hundred, fifty three MILLION - nine hundred seventy one THOUSAND - nine hundred, thirty one dollars and twenty seven cents)

The estimated population of the United States is 298,613,807
    so each citizen's share of this debt is $28,025.34.

The National Debt has continued to increase an average of
    $2.06 billion per day since September 30, 2005!

Who has the wealth DeeDee??

opportunity - absolutely... if you're a fvcking illegal immigrant.

And, by the grace of God, and despite Pres, Bush's attempts to thwart all these things, his championing the National Anthem, is not enough. If he actually championed being President, I would be more inclined to pay attention. As things stand, he was not seen fit to "be a President" yet.
    I totally agree.

While the national Anthem is a beautiful, and symbolic, rallying point for all Americans, it is a symbol. Singing it in Spanish, or Chinese, will not affect, all the things, this country, who has been the envy of the world ( until we reelected Bush :p), have to be proud of.
    No, it probably won't affect the rest of the world.. but it affects ME.

I'm fed up with these immigrants DeeDee. Here's more on this subject:

I was talking to friend of mine who recently moved back here to CT from California. She was telling me about some of the Mexicans she worked with out there... how they would come to work and tell her that they had a new name. "Why? and how can you do that"? she would ask. Their explanation:

There are places here in the U.S. where they can buy fake names, social security numbers, and excellent credit histories. They use this information to get jobs, housing and health care; but more important to them - the credit ratings allow them to obtain high limit credit cards and to purchase expensive automobiles. They max out the credit cards, and when not paying for any of these things catches up with them, they take all the merchandise, like expensive jewelry, name brand clothing and high-end electronics, back across the border in the automobile (in one case - a Hummer; also not paid for) and give all of it to their families to be sold on the black market in Mexico where it is all in high demand. Then, they come back into the states, and do it all over again.

The whole time they were telling her this stuff, they were laughing their ass off at how stupid we Americans are, and how easy it is to get away with it all. They even offered to "hook her up" if she wanted them to....

Now tell me DeeDee - who do you think pays for all this stuff? YOU & ME and every other American citizen who has a credit card or buys a new car. This is why so many of the credit cards companies are raising their fees that are added on top of the prime rate. They are trying to recoupe their losses that are partially brought on by these thieving illegal immigrants. Car prices? - the same thing.

So yes, all of the things you speak of here are HUGE issues. Why add immigration problems to the list? They are not all here because they are trying to "have a better life" and "feed their families". Anybody who believes that bullsh!t is out of their fvcking mind.

I said it before, and I will say again - we need to toss their Mexican asses back across the border where they belong and be done with it.

Quote Originally Posted by BatarngForce
    Double D is right. Are we Americans so onion skinned that we rise in anger when "beaners" sing the national anthem in Spanish?
    Hi Batman... If this doesn't bother you, that's your choice.

Tell me Conneticut... what words are you offended at?
    Any and all that ARE NOT ORIGINAL. The Star Spangled Banner is the National Anthem for the United States of America. Period. If Mexicans, or any other foriegner in this country, wants to be a citizen here, they should learn THIS song, as it was written, in ENGLISH. Period.

I'm curious Batman... do you have any limits as to what you are willing to give up to please those who want to live here?

Does this sound like a group of people who hate this country?
    I didn't say anything about them hating this country.

Does this sound like a group of people who are busy raping and committing crimes to the point that they want to show respect to this country?
    Respect?? How about this for example:

Respect would be learning our anthem - in English; speaking English period.

Respect would be applying for legal citizenship and going through the motions to show how important it is to them to be called an American citizen.

Respect would be telling the school systems in Colorado to allow the students to wear the American flag on their t-shirts in support of their Fathers and brothers who are fighting in Iraq (some of the schools banned this because it was upsetting the Mexican students).

Does this sound like people who are here to sell drugs?
    Some of them are, as are thousands of Americans. Remember the underground tunnels under the border that were discovered not too long ago?

Does this sound like a group of people who are hateful? Where is the hate?
    Again.. I never said they hated this country. I don't doubt for a minute that they all love it here. Why wouldn't they??

These people want opportunity. They want something better than what they had back in Mexico. These people want a second chance. These poor bastards are caught in between staying in Mexico and suffering their lot in life or braving the border to come work for a better wage in the land of the free, the land of the brave.
    Tell me something.... why is it, that these poor Mexicans, and the poor Iraqis, and the poor whoever else that the U.S. defends, - they all matter, but the poor Americans don't? Why is that???

The poor and homeless American citizens in this country would also like to have something better - a second chance - a better wage... The reasons why they are poor or homeless don't matter - they are treated like sh!t and looked down on as total fvck ups. Why is that?????????

You show such hatred for these people who love this fvcking country soooooooooooo much that they took the anthem and sung it in Spanish. And you see nothing but a slap in the face. Did you stop for one second, for one freaking second to examine their motive?
    Motive? What is their motive Batman? A better life? Citizenship?? There is a system in place for these people to become American citizens. Thousands and thousands of people have used this system, and now have legal citizenship. Why should it be any different for these people?

They should be grateful that they have been able to be in this country, taking total advantage of benefits that are offered to US - that we set up for US - NOT THEM - US. But now, they think they have "rights". They are here ILLEGALLY.

illegal - Not according to, or authorized by, law; specif., contrary to, or in violation of

Everyday, they are breaking the law. When all along, there has been a way for them to BECOME CITIZENS. Do you think we "owe" them something? We owe them MORE than we are willing to do for OUR OWN people?? What the hell is that all about?

Are we so ethnocentric that our nation says that our American songs are to be only sung in English? Where does it say this?
    Listen to me... the National Anthem obviously holds a different meaning for you than it does for me. Let's just leave it at that, okay?

It is your perception that chooses to be angry. Your perception that believes that we have been insulted. How in the name of God do you see this as an insult?
    The insult is that they want EVERYTHING that this country has to offer, but can't be bothered with putting the effort that is needed into learning this song. It is not JUST any American Song... it is THE SONG - the one that represents THIS COUNTRY - the country that they WANT to live in and be a part of. They want it all THEIR way, and I'm not willing to accept that. If you are, that's fine...

How in the fvck do you not look at the people of this country and realize that every damn kid resites the pledge of allegance with empty feeling, or sings the Star Spangled Banner without emotion because they don't care and they never will, since over 30% of our nation's high schoolers are dropping out of school. Here, our own white people don't care
    We gotta take the good with the bad. But ALL of these people are legal citizens who BELONG HERE....

and in comes some taco bending, tequila drinking beaners who are fat and lazy and take our jobs away and how dare they sing our song in Spanish.
    and these people DON'T - they are ILLEGAL.

You did not take the time to examine both sides of this issue.
    Yes Batman, I have examined both sides. And until yesterday, I was mostly okay with these immigrants being allowed here with certain guidelines in place for legal citizenship. But now, I feel like they are determined to have things their way - no matter what. They are determined to PROVE to us that they WILL BE HERE, whether we like it or not. It's like they think we have nothing to say about it. These are not the people I want to have living next door to me.

And is this issue such an affront that it takes precident over all else that is happening?
    No. But it is something that will directly affect our lives on a daily basis.

When people talk of these idiocies, they are not talking about the evils that plague this country...
    The high majority of these poeple have been laying low the entire time they have been here. We don't know the kind of people they are. If and/or when they become citizens, we will find out. Have you thought about that? Are you prepared to accept it - no matter what it brings?

Or do you really think that this is such a hot topic?
    I see this anthem topic as a brazen display of everything I have mentioned above, and only one of many more "in your face" acts that will come along if and/or when these people are here permanently.

Could I be wrong? - absolutely. Do I think I am? - no.

On the far side of the Rio Grande, a Mexican drug runner raised his AK47 at US lawmen.

The man and five companions were goading the Americans, 100 yards across the border.

"Hey! We're ready to play now," screamed the gunman, who was probably trying to recover the marijuana abandoned on the American side after a chase earlier that day.

The threat didn't work. The Texan sheriff's deputy, Abel Hinojosa, stayed where he was, with the drug gang in his sights and his finger tightening on the trigger of his rifle.

Reliving the moment, he said quietly: "There was no doubt in my mind - if the guy had fired a round, I'd have shot him."

A fire fight across a border, even when provoked by drug runners, would spark an international incident. Yet the bloodshed on Mexico's northern border is now so serious that an international showdown could hardly make matters worse.

The Americans at the sharp end, the lawmen patrolling 2,000 miles of border, are profoundly anxious. With narcotics gangs controlling swathes of northern Mexico and the forces of the state in retreat, they are the next target and some have already been shot.

Sheriff Rick Flores, whose area covers a vast border region, said he would not be intimidated: 'They're testing us, pushing and pushing. The Border Patrol has started shooting back and we're going to do the same."

Drive-by shootings have begun on the American side, weaponry is being seized and safe houses uncovered. Sheriff's deputies who once wore only side arms, now shoulder machineguns and body armour.

According to Sheriff Flores the drug-runners are even better equipped.Is it a war? "Oh yeah, it's a war. These people are sophisticated and they are organised. They wear body armour and helmets, just like our soldiers in Iraq. They have no respect for life and are not afraid of law enforcement on this side.

"Over in Iraq, you have Iraqi militias willing to give up their lives just to cause us harm - these people are the same way," he said.

Two gangs are reportedly battling for control of a critical route through which an estimated $14 billion (£8 billion) worth of drugs pass annually.

Interstate 35, the great highway which runs from Laredo to the Canadian border, is the main artery for South American drugs.

Whoever controls the Mexican side controls the last distribution point before drugs enter the American market.

Across the border lies Nuevo Laredo, described by many as the drug cartels' heart of darkness. The body count this year stands at 88. Officials predict it will hit 300 by the year's end, double last year's figure.

Killers walk free and half the local police have been fired for links to cartels while the other half are either too cowed to act or still in the pay of the gangs.

One police chief was murdered eight hours after taking the job.

Americans from the twin city of Laredo do not visit the narrow streets or the pretty plazas of the old town any more, even though many have relatives there.

Despite close ties of blood and affection there is only a vague sense of what is really happening on the far side of the Rio Grande.

The anxiety is being fed by an effective media blackout in Nuevo Laredo, following a machinegun attack on the newspaper office there.

Sheriff Flores said his sources spoke of a huge gun battle among the cartels in recent weeks with 15 or so men shot, but said that no word of the battle appeared in print. Diana Fuentes, the editor of the Laredo Morning Times, the American town's lively newspaper, said she too heard rumours of the battle, but could not confirm it.

She said the Mexican authorities were unable to match words with action, despite the deployment of hundreds of agents and troops to Nuevo Laredo. "The feeling is that the Mexican authorities are just not in control."

Deputies Hinojosa and Pampa beside the Rio Grande

Is this "Preparation" for war?

[Original Message]
    To:
    Date: 4/26/2006 8:46:26 PM
    Subject: [La Voz de Aztlan] URGENT ALERT: From The Revolutionary Council and ProvisionalGovernment of Aztlan

Dear La Voz de Aztlan Subscribers:

We have received the following communique from the Minister of Information of the Nation of Aztlan. We rarely receive any communiques from the "Revolutionary Council and Provisional Government of Aztlan" so we must assume that it is of upmost importance. We urge that you carefully consider the information that it contains.

Please pass this to other American Citizens!
    _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

URGENT ALERT: From The Revolutionary Council and Provisional Government of Aztlan

April 26, 2006

Estimada Raza de Aztlan and Beyond,

Our Director of Special Intelligence Services has brought to our attention disturbing information that threatens the safety of our families. This information requires that we prepare a defense strategy to protect our communities.

Due to the recent large demonstrations of our people in major cities in occupied Anahuac, extremist European invaders are preparing violent actions against us.

They are expected to use physical violence in the upcoming marches and rallies planned for May 1, 2006 and we must take steps to protect our families.

The Director of Special Intelligence Services has reliable information that anti-Mexican forces in Aztlan and in certain other area of Anahuac, are preparing to utilize explosives and snipers to kill our people. We urge our community to arm themselves to protect our families. We are also urging our soldiers presently serving In Iraq, Afghanistan and other foreign lands to do everything possible to return home and fight for your own. The situation here is critical.

In addition, all political prisoners shall be in constant alert and ready for action. Also, youth groups in our barrios shall call truces and direct their energies against the racist enemy that has vowed to annihilate our families.

Our Prime Minister is instructing every able bodied male to arm himself to protect the women and children in his home.
    We can not depend on local White law enforcement authorities because in many cases they will join the criminal elements and participate in the slaughter of our people. Make sure you have weapons and plenty of ammunition in your homes at the ready.

Criminal racist elements have already made death threats against certain "occupation administrators" and they will not stop at killing our civilians. We hope that the massacres of Mexicans that the White criminals have vowed to undertake are just the rantings of cowardly insane minds but we must take these threats seriously.

Cuauhtli
    Minister of Information
    Nation of Aztlan

La Voz de Aztlan
    http://www.aztlan.net

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Horse
    On the far side of the Rio Grande, a Mexican drug runner raised his AK47 at US lawmen.

The man and five companions were goading the Americans, 100 yards across the border.

"Hey! We're ready to play now," screamed the gunman, who was probably trying to recover the marijuana abandoned on the American side after a chase earlier that day.

The threat didn't work. The Texan sheriff's deputy, Abel Hinojosa, stayed where he was, with the drug gang in his sights and his finger tightening on the trigger of his rifle.

Reliving the moment, he said quietly: "There was no doubt in my mind - if the guy had fired a round, I'd have shot him."

A fire fight across a border, even when provoked by drug runners, would spark an international incident. Yet the bloodshed on Mexico's northern border is now so serious that an international showdown could hardly make matters worse.

The Americans at the sharp end, the lawmen patrolling 2,000 miles of border, are profoundly anxious. With narcotics gangs controlling swathes of northern Mexico and the forces of the state in retreat, they are the next target and some have already been shot.

Sheriff Rick Flores, whose area covers a vast border region, said he would not be intimidated: 'They're testing us, pushing and pushing. The Border Patrol has started shooting back and we're going to do the same."

Drive-by shootings have begun on the American side, weaponry is being seized and safe houses uncovered. Sheriff's deputies who once wore only side arms, now shoulder machineguns and body armour.

According to Sheriff Flores the drug-runners are even better equipped.Is it a war? "Oh yeah, it's a war. These people are sophisticated and they are organised. They wear body armour and helmets, just like our soldiers in Iraq. They have no respect for life and are not afraid of law enforcement on this side.

"Over in Iraq, you have Iraqi militias willing to give up their lives just to cause us harm - these people are the same way," he said.

Two gangs are reportedly battling for control of a critical route through which an estimated $14 billion (£8 billion) worth of drugs pass annually.

Interstate 35, the great highway which runs from Laredo to the Canadian border, is the main artery for South American drugs.

Whoever controls the Mexican side controls the last distribution point before drugs enter the American market.

Across the border lies Nuevo Laredo, described by many as the drug cartels' heart of darkness. The body count this year stands at 88. Officials predict it will hit 300 by the year's end, double last year's figure.

Killers walk free and half the local police have been fired for links to cartels while the other half are either too cowed to act or still in the pay of the gangs.

One police chief was murdered eight hours after taking the job.

Americans from the twin city of Laredo do not visit the narrow streets or the pretty plazas of the old town any more, even though many have relatives there.

Despite close ties of blood and affection there is only a vague sense of what is really happening on the far side of the Rio Grande.

The anxiety is being fed by an effective media blackout in Nuevo Laredo, following a machinegun attack on the newspaper office there.

Sheriff Flores said his sources spoke of a huge gun battle among the cartels in recent weeks with 15 or so men shot, but said that no word of the battle appeared in print. Diana Fuentes, the editor of the Laredo Morning Times, the American town's lively newspaper, said she too heard rumours of the battle, but could not confirm it.

She said the Mexican authorities were unable to match words with action, despite the deployment of hundreds of agents and troops to Nuevo Laredo. "The feeling is that the Mexican authorities are just not in control."

Deputies Hinojosa and Pampa beside the Rio Grande
    Excellent information Iron Horse. Thank you.

I knew drugs were coming into the states out of Mexico, but I had NO IDEA the situation was this extreme.

So tell me, in your opinion, what can we expect to see happen with drug trafficking if a mass legal citizenship is granted for Mexicans by this country?

Will citizenship make this activity more difficult?

Will border patrols become more relaxed and allow the situation to worsen?

By the way - I see you are in Northern California. Would you care to express your overall opinion on illegal immigration?

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Horse
    Due to the recent large demonstrations of our people in major cities in occupied Anahuac, extremist European invaders are preparing violent actions against us.

They are expected to use physical violence in the upcoming marches and rallies planned for May 1, 2006 and we must take steps to protect our families.
    Aren't the Mexicans in Aztlan American born citizens? These are the states you referred to earlier in The Treaty of Guadalupe - right? Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Why would anybody have a beef with these people in particular?

As for the marches tomorrow? - I don't expect things to be as calm as they have been during the other rallies. There are alot of Americans, besides just me, who are also fed up with all of this.

It is not my belief that violence of any kind towards these people is going to solve anything. I do think we should be protesting the legalization, but it should be left in the hands of government officials to send these people packing back across the border.

I hope nothing happens tomorrow, but I won't be at all surprised if all hell breaks loose....

Quote Originally Posted by Connecticut Victim
    Excellent information Iron Horse. Thank you.

I knew drugs were coming into the states out of Mexico, but I had NO IDEA the situation was this extreme.

So tell me, in your opinion, what can we expect to see happen with drug trafficking if a mass legal citizenship is granted for Mexicans by this country?

Will citizenship make this activity more difficult?

Will border patrols become more relaxed and allow the situation to worsen?

By the way - I see you are in Northern California. Would you care to express your overall opinion on illegal immigration?
    The situation is worse than one could imagine.

To answer your questions, IMHO, the trafficking will become worse, citizenship will make it easier.
    The government say's they will be adding border patrol agents, but that remains to be seen.

My overall opinion of illegal immigration?
    I am insulted, my Mothers father came to this country with his family from Mexico back in the 1920's, it took them 8 years of jumping through all the hoops and red tape, but they finally made it and became citizens. They started off dirt poor, and over the years, built themselves into a very prosperous business owning family. When I was around 9, I asked my Grandpa, " why don't you hire those men that come here ( family business ) everyday looking for work?"...I'll never forget what he said..." I don't give them jobs because they don't belong here. They think they can break the rules, and get away with it. If they want to make a better life here, they would not begin by breaking the law"
    I have no problem with people from any nation that wants to come here for a better life, but don't break our laws, drain our medical system, and our educational system and then demand full amnesty. Many of the " Illegals " nowadays want to come here, and have their babies...Then, that baby is automatically a citizen of the USA..That is one of their main goals.
    I don't blame the poor folks that are coming over, I blame the Mexican government, our government, and the people that hire illegal aliens.
    I don't think this is going to go away, it is part of a larger scheme.
    Last edited by Iron Horse; 04-30-2006 at 06:32 PM.