+ Reply to Thread

Thread: organics, scam?

organics, scam?

I'm trying to extend this conversation from the Melaleuca post about why organics are more expensive to produce? Also, why are certain mainstream chemical-derived products on the shelf so much cheaper - mass production? Does adding chemicals or other similar substances seeked by manufacturers create more of the product and also create more texture, particularly in lotions of all types? Foods, lotions, cleaners, etc...wherever you wanna go off with this subject.

Oh, the one that gets me is the new lightbulbs that cost like 8 times more. I think the consumer would have a hard time buying that one unless there is a money back guarantee. I've had many lightbulbs where the light sort of *pops* or lights out and that is the end of that. Spending a significant more is impossible for the consumer. Generally I wonder of the health industry is a scam, but I understand why one might want to stay away from the chemical stuff on the store shelves.

Re: organics, scam?

Organic produce sometimes costs more cause the yield is less: Bugs eat more (no bug spray used) and less powerfull fertiliser is used. But how can anyone tell if any product is "organic"? Unless you take the stuff to a lab no one can tell. So no one knows if organic anything is a scam or not! Real easy to slap an organic sticker on an apple...

The 8 times more expensive light bulb is NOT a scam. That is as long as it is a real Compact Florescent (CF) bulb. These CF bulbs use much less power for a given amount of light they produce AND they last many times longer. So when you work out the math it is cheaper to buy an 8 times expensive CF bulb then a cheap normal bulb.

Now there is a drawback: Mercury. All of the existing CF bulbs contain a few miligrams of mercury. Mercury is toxic. But... producing electric power also releases mercury too. Thats bad. But... since the CF bulbs use less power less mercury is released then cheap bulbs. Thats good!

So when all the math is done CF bulbs cost less and are "Green" too. Not a scam!

Quote Originally Posted by tantalus
    Organic produce sometimes costs more cause the yield is less: Bugs eat more (no bug spray used) and less powerfull fertiliser is used. But how can anyone tell if any product is "organic"? Unless you take the stuff to a lab no one can tell. So no one knows if organic anything is a scam or not! Real easy to slap an organic sticker on an apple...

The 8 times more expensive light bulb is NOT a scam. That is as long as it is a real Compact Florescent (CF) bulb. These CF bulbs use much less power for a given amount of light they produce AND they last many times longer. So when you work out the math it is cheaper to buy an 8 times expensive CF bulb then a cheap normal bulb.

Now there is a drawback: Mercury. All of the existing CF bulbs contain a few miligrams of mercury. Mercury is toxic. But... producing electric power also releases mercury too. Thats bad. But... since the CF bulbs use less power less mercury is released then cheap bulbs. Thats good!

So when all the math is done CF bulbs cost less and are "Green" too. Not a scam!
    I'd have to see the testing data on them. Plus they would need to have some type of guarantee as far as I can see for the price.

Think of it this way.
    You have the the basic version of something and you have the pro version. The pro version will cost you more because it is better for you.

Organics take away the chemicals which in turn do not get eaten by you. This helps you be healthier and live longer. Chemicals arent natural and should not be used.....

Your getting something better so its going to cost more. Some of it is overpriced though...