+ Reply to Thread

Business Beware When Shipping!!!!!

:zx11pissed:I was Almost SCAMMED yesterday!!!! This is a new scam involving shipping companies... So please watch out for it. The customer asked me to get a quote from his freight company MaxGlobals NetFirms, which is fake even though they have a legitimate looking website!) Anyway he asked me to subtotal the amount of the system and the shipping costs, which I had to contact his shipping company to get.... The total was around $9000. And he EMAILED me his CC information and said to charge it three different times ($3000 each). Why would we charge him for shipping if another company is doing it???? I called him back (and the phone numbers were not legit) and when I was able to get ahold of him I said Ill only charge the CC for the product and YOU have to pay your OWN SHIPPING COMPANY. He freaked out and gave me all kinds of excuses....
    BeCAUSE it is FRAUD, a SCAM!!!! He wanted to let me charge his CC for the shipping so we'd have to cut a check to the shipping company (WHICH HE REALLY OWNS), so the $3500 for shipping would go back to him, then he would REVERSE the CC charges and we would lose the money! And there's nothing we can do about OVERSEAS fraud so WATCH OUT for anything that might seem kind of weird when dealing overseas!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Thanks!:zx11pissed:

Re: Business Beware When Shipping!!!!!

:zx11pissed:I was Almost SCAMMED yesterday!!!! This is a new scam involving shipping companies... So please watch out for it. The customer asked me to get a quote from his freight company MaxGlobals NetFirms, which is fake even though they have a legitimate looking website!) Anyway he asked me to subtotal the amount of the system and the shipping costs, which I had to contact his shipping company to get.... The total was around $9000. And he EMAILED me his CC information and said to charge it three different times ($3000 each). Why would we charge him for shipping if another company is doing it???? I called him back (and the phone numbers were not legit) and when I was able to get ahold of him I said Ill only charge the CC for the product and YOU have to pay your OWN SHIPPING COMPANY. He freaked out and gave me all kinds of excuses....
    BeCAUSE it is FRAUD, a SCAM!!!! He wanted to let me charge his CC for the shipping so we'd have to cut a check to the shipping company (WHICH HE REALLY OWNS), so the $3500 for shipping would go back to him, then he would REVERSE the CC charges and we would lose the money! And there's nothing we can do about OVERSEAS fraud so WATCH OUT for anything that might seem kind of weird when dealing overseas!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[MaxGlobal Netfirms Shipping company is a scam!!! Watch out for this new scam involving freight companies!!!]

Another possibility is that the credit card was stolen. When the rightfull owner realized what happend, there would not only be a charge back but a crimminal investigation, especially if you charged the same card three times. The scammer was never interested in your product, he just wanted you to send the cash.

A few red flags from that site:

What payment options are available?
    Payment accepted by Max Globals NetFirms: Bank Transfer, Western Union, Money Gram"
    No legit company accepts Western Union or moneygram payments. Ever.

Can customers track and trace shipments online?
    Currently, the Max Globals NetFirms website does provide tracking and tracing for approved customers with user id and password
    Just where do those customers sign in with the used id and password to track the shipment, there is not a link anywhere on the site.

World Headquarters:
    1st Floor, Room 206
    22 Abumor Road
    Opp. Meridian Hotel, Tema

Tel: +233 (24) 828 2596

Just where is that, can't seem to find it on googlemap.

Found a scam or scammer's email address? Post it at scamwarners.com
    Found a romance scam? Post it at romancescam.com

This is a classic scam done on Kraigs-list as well. Nobody should ever send any 'real' money to any firm or individual that has either 'overpaid' something, or 'will charge it on their credit card, and you refund it later'. They either use bad credit cards, or fake money orders, or fake cashiers checks. When you deposit their check, it's bad, and you are held liable.Some people make their living at this stuff. One of the sad 'downsides' to the Internet, business, and people in general. But, at least with word of mouth spreading, they will have to find a new avenue to scam you. I feel sorry for the little old ladies from the 1950's that get hooked into this stuff as they were brought up in a more trusting generation. These days, you have to carry mental chain saws to keep thieves electronic hands out of your pockets, practically everywhere. If it slides into your pocket, rev that saw up. Education is the key. Spread the word.

I would like to thank this website and this discussion.

I am an account exec with Allstate Printing and i have this customer doing exactly what is being discussed above. I knew something was wrong, first when he stated he does not have a phone #. Secondly, why cant he pay for his own shipping?

I have responded to him stating we would use our own shipping company and since it is an international company, he can only pay us via wire transfer.

@ALLSTATE SHIPPING: Glad to hear you found out it was a scam before losing money or product. You could simply tell the scammer that the product he is interested in is out of stock or discontinued and then block his email address.

Now that you have received one scammer attempting to purchase from your company, you will receive more. Your company's address is out there in scammer-land and will be passed around.

Clues that a scammer is involved:
    1) Poor syntex, grammer and spelling, especially from orders from businesses or highly educated people.
    2) Use of all CAPITAL letters, odd spacing between words/sentences, lack of puncuation and run-on sentences.
    3) Use of gmail, yahoo, hotmail for a business order.
    4) Insistance that you use their 'shipper', might even include a link to a crappy made-last-month site for the 'shipping company'.
    5) Insistance that you accept an overpayment in any form, check, money order or credit card and send the extra to the 'shipper'
    6) Long explaination of why he needs the product sent to somewhere other than where he is pretending to be located.
    7) Sense of urgency, he needs the items shipped immediately to meet some deadline and possible offer to pay extra for quicker service.
    8) Less interest in the product specifications and more interest in you sending the cash via Western Union or moneygram.
    9) When you balk at his demands, he insists you send your personal cell phone number for further discussion or says you are wasting his time and to do what he says right now.
    10) Avoidance of your questions, answering vaguely, or telling you that your queries are unimportant, uneeded, or unprofessional.

When in doubt, google the email address, sentences from the scripted email, person's name and phone number. Check at this site, the 2 in my siggy line and any other scam-warning-fraud-watching sites you can find.
    Found a scam or scammer's email address? Post it at scamwarners.com
    Found a romance scam? Post it at romancescam.com

Thanks for the tips.
    What i did was, I asked him we can only accept wire transfer for his order. To accept credit card orders, he would need to fill out a credit app with us as well as fax us a copy of his id and a copy of the actual card. I have not heard back from him since.

Also he would need to use our shipper as we dont use third party shippers.

:judges:

strange,
    i did not hear back from him after this!

Thanks for the warning, you saved us a serious headache:spin2:
    Quote Originally Posted by MarinaFerrari View Post

[MaxGlobal Netfirms Shipping company is a scam!!! Watch out for this new scam involving freight companies!!!]

Quote Originally Posted by Meri Widow View Post
    World Headquarters:
    1st Floor, Room 206
    22 Abumor Road
    Opp. Meridian Hotel, Tema

Tel: +233 (24) 828 2596
    Tema is a city in Ghana (Africa).
    Wiki Tema, also numberingplans.com gives for the phone number,

Information on phone number range +233 24XXXXXX(X)

Number billable as mobile number
    Country or destination Ghana
    City or exchange location
    Original network provider* MTN
    Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge: it is those who know little, and not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science. -C. Darwin

Meri Widow, You are definitely right! Especially if they offer you more money! Every legit customer I talk to tries to talk me down on price! And once you question them they will get very angry and defensive. I pretended like I only charged the CC for the product and NOT the shipping and the guy freaked out! All of a sudden didn't want the product!

Quote Originally Posted by Meri Widow View Post
    @ALLSTATE SHIPPING: Glad to hear you found out it was a scam before losing money or product. You could simply tell the scammer that the product he is interested in is out of stock or discontinued and then block his email address.

Now that you have received one scammer attempting to purchase from your company, you will receive more. Your company's address is out there in scammer-land and will be passed around.

Clues that a scammer is involved:
    1) Poor syntex, grammer and spelling, especially from orders from businesses or highly educated people.
    2) Use of all CAPITAL letters, odd spacing between words/sentences, lack of puncuation and run-on sentences.
    3) Use of gmail, yahoo, hotmail for a business order.
    4) Insistance that you use their 'shipper', might even include a link to a crappy made-last-month site for the 'shipping company'.
    5) Insistance that you accept an overpayment in any form, check, money order or credit card and send the extra to the 'shipper'
    6) Long explaination of why he needs the product sent to somewhere other than where he is pretending to be located.
    7) Sense of urgency, he needs the items shipped immediately to meet some deadline and possible offer to pay extra for quicker service.
    8) Less interest in the product specifications and more interest in you sending the cash via Western Union or moneygram.
    9) When you balk at his demands, he insists you send your personal cell phone number for further discussion or says you are wasting his time and to do what he says right now.
    10) Avoidance of your questions, answering vaguely, or telling you that your queries are unimportant, uneeded, or unprofessional.

When in doubt, google the email address, sentences from the scripted email, person's name and phone number. Check at this site, the 2 in my siggy line and any other scam-warning-fraud-watching sites you can find.

I'm glad this posting was able to help someone else! It was definitely worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by thunderstruck71ss View Post
    Thanks for the warning, you saved us a serious headache:spin2:

Exactly! Many of the scams come from Ghana! PLUS, how the hell does the shipping company have its "World Headquarters" in a HOTEL ROOM??? The phone number did not work either.

Quote Originally Posted by nomaxim View Post
    Tema is a city in Ghana (Africa).
    Wiki Tema, also numberingplans.com gives for the phone number,