+ Reply to Thread

Meet at airport?

I recently listed my vehicle for sale on the web with two major sites. I received two calls today from dealers from different states. Both of the callers gave me an offer about 10% less than asking price. Both asked if I could pick them up at the airport tommorrow and then drive to an auto service station for an inspection.

One of the callers told me he'd call me tommorrow when his flight arrives. I told him If he plans to pay by cashiers check I wouldn't transfer title until the check clears. He said he would pay in cash ($13,000) assuming the car checks out.

Both callers said they resell luxury vehicles to sellers world wide and mine is one that they are looking for.

I just wondering how this story may change tommorrow.

Seems to good to be true. Possible scam?
    Last edited by Tjs; 10-07-2009 at 08:06 PM.

Re: Meet at airport?

When you deposit a "cashiers check", your bank is required by law to make the funds available to you within 1 business day.

But that does NOT mean that the check "cleared".

It can take the bank weeks or months to discover that a check is fraudulent. And then you have to give all of the money back.

Ask your bank manager about this! They know all about fake cashiers checks, it is a gigantic problem all over.

If the guy wants to pay cash, meet at your bank and have the bank verify that every bill is genuine.

Also, please do NOT meet them at the airport and give them a ride anywhere. That is extremely dangerous. It could be some nut who lives nearby, and is just pretending he flew in on a plane. There are a lot of dangerous people out there.

Oh, and if you get the payment set up ok, make sure to go to a car title agency / notary public. Get the title transferred right there in front of you.

Never let the buyer "do it themselves later". That is illegal, and you will still be responsible for anything bad that happens with the car.

Well, good luck with it. y_on_tredmil:

OK...It's tomorrow...Still confused!

The guy called me this afternoon from the airport and wanted me to pick him up. I arranged to meet him at an auto garage to have the car checked over. Everything went fine and a few items were pointed out by the mechanic..nothing major. The buyer told me he worked for and exporter and plans to sell it to a buyer in Russia. He offered me cash(OK price) however I could not find the title. I would of made sure I had it on hand but I honestly did not think he would show up.

He told me he mainly sells Lexus and Toyota SUV's abroad. He also shared with me that me that it wouldn't be a problem altering the odometer before he shipped it out...Maybe this is common practice with exporters but I told him what he does with the car is his business. I'm not afraid of this guy so I brought him back to the airport and he said he'll stick around a few hours while I look for the title at home. I'm still looking for it but I told him he will need to go to the DMV to transfer title. He said it was not necessary as the VIN is cleared of title when exported out of USA? Why won't he go to the DMV w/ me...because of sales tax? He's got cash....but whats up with this guy?

I just talked to him 20 minutes ago and he was insistent about not transferring title...I decided to take control and made my conditions known.

He Said he'll stick around till tomorrow.
    Last edited by Tjs; 10-08-2009 at 07:28 PM. Reason: addition

Go to google and look up: curbstoner

That is the type of "car dealer" he is. Someone who buys and sells cars without ever having the title in his name. This is illegal in most (all?) states.

If he drives away in your car and 5 minutes (or 5 days or 5 weeks) later smashes into someone, you will get sued. Because it is still your car. And your insurance company will not pay a dime, because they don't cover illegal sales.

Call your car insurance agent (or their 1-800 number) and ask about this. They will tell you not to do it.

Also, look in the phone book under "auto tags", call one of those places. Ask them about it.

And there's still the possibility that the "payment" will be bogus.

And he doesn't want to go to the DMV, there may be other problems. Like maybe he is wanted by the police for something. Or maybe his tourist visa ran out. Who knows?

I would call the guy and say "I'm sorry, but the deal is off. Goodbye."

Well, good luck, whatever you decide to do.

Doesn't want to transfer the title? Sounds suspicious to me, also. I cannot think of any legit reason for someone to NOT want to register a vehicle.

I also wonder about the airport part, just because you dropped him off there does not mean he flew into the area. He could simply have used the airport as a way to convice you he was not from the area. Parked his car in the short term lot and walked back to it after you dropped him off. Did you see a flight ticket?

$13,000 in cash? That is over the $10,000 Fed limit, so if you deposit that much, you will have reams of paper work to fill out at the bank. If he is walking around with that kind of cash, why didn't he stop at a bank and get a cashier's check on the way to the mechanic's shop? Or get one in the first place? I am thinking fake currency.

Please keep us updated, this is very interesting.
    Found a scam or scammer's email address? Post it at scamwarners.com
    Found a romance scam? Post it at romancescam.com

Well...I sold my vehicle today! It was a 2000 Landcruiser with around 220,000 miles and was in great shape. I sold it because my fuel cost was at least $500 a month...I will miss that truck. The person I sold it to was an out of state dealer. We met at my place of work and he test drove the vehicle. He was able to wire the funds to my account on the spot. I did call my bank and they told me it was a wire (Through the fed) and was cash...All is fine! I was overly cautious and the dealer said he gets it all the time...He is legit. I took the plates and we transferred title.

I had at least 15 inquiries on my vehicle. 12 of them were exporters.

Looks like there is a strong market for specific vehicles for export. I wonder how many miles my old friend will have on the odometer when the new buyer takes possession....Half way around the world?
    Last edited by Tjs; 11-03-2009 at 07:26 PM.

I am so glad you came back to post a finale to this thread as I had thought it had ended poorly and you didn't want to post the bad news. It did start so strangely. Being cautious in today's economy is needed and a legit businessman would understand that. Thanks for the update.
    Found a scam or scammer's email address? Post it at scamwarners.com
    Found a romance scam? Post it at romancescam.com

Hi Tjs,

I think that was a definite attempt to scam! I had a similar experience in listing my car online.

A guy from Florida, 4 states away, wanted to buy my car - sight unseen - and fly in to get it. Wanted me also to pick him up at airport and he was going to pay me $200 in liue of cab fare. Sounded suspicious to me. He offered cash and I insisted on certified check, in which he and I will go to my bank and verify funds. Needless to say, I never heard back from again.

I am convinced this was a scam and have reported it to the online companies in which my ad is placed. I am glad you shared your story so others will be aware of all the shadiness associated with online buying.

KayLeah

Quote Originally Posted by KayLeah View Post
    Hi Tjs,

I think that was a definite attempt to scam! I had a similar experience in listing my car online.

A guy from Florida, 4 states away, wanted to buy my car - sight unseen - and fly in to get it. Wanted me also to pick him up at airport and he was going to pay me $200 in liue of cab fare. Sounded suspicious to me. He offered cash and I insisted on certified check, in which he and I will go to my bank and verify funds. Needless to say, I never heard back from again.

I am convinced this was a scam and have reported it to the online companies in which my ad is placed. I am glad you shared your story so others will be aware of all the shadiness associated with online buying.

KayLeah
    Thanks for the reply. I have not been here for awhile...I have been busy working my a** off in today's economy..Thanks to our wonderful government (Both sides). Times have changed.

I'm tightning my belt nowadays and am selling items I don't need. I love *****slist and am becoming very familiar with the scammers out there. It's to the point that I laugh at these bastards!

Oh well,...I can sleep at night.

Keep Smilin'

You can think of it as a scam or not. But I think it's better for the two of you to meet up in a safer place than pick him up in the airport. And you have to bring someone with you too.