+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

The meaning of SCAM

I would like to know how the people who post on SCAM.COM decide a work at home company is a scam.

I can look up the meaning of scam and do understand the meaning.
    But when thinking of someone using it in the description of a company offering employment on the internet I do get a bit confused.

If there are people saying they are making money with a company I have read others say it is a legit company because of this.

I on the other hand can see where companies are running a scam but still paying out money to some employees.

Also since all who try or work for a company do not post and give information on the internet how do you know for sure something is a scam?

Also I feel your time is valuable. So even though it is posted if a company asks for money to work for them it is a scam. What about companies who get you to work for them by advertising misleading info and you spend your time trying to make money and do not succeed. If the company is misleading you on purpose is that not a scam?

I have many questions about how others form the opinion a company is a scam. Seems to me some could view a company as a scam while others would not.

Hope I get some helpful feed back on this question.
    Last edited by Tulip; 10-07-2009 at 09:45 AM. Reason: changed the title

Re: The word and meaning of SCAM

Katiescorner thank you for the information.

I was trying to ask one question and maybe get an answer to several questions I have about scams on the internet.

But I now realize this would not be possible with one or two questions. So I took this post off of the board and posted this explanation of why.

In time hopefully I will get the answers I am looking for with research and experience.
    Last edited by Tulip; 10-09-2009 at 07:08 AM. Reason: To many questions

I recently wrote an article about this so Im just going to post it instead of rewriting it all again:

How to tell if a work at home offer is real or fake:

Once you start searching the terms "work at home", "work at home free", or "how to work from home", you will get thousands of results. Many of them sound great and some of them just don't seem "right". How can you tell the difference between what is real and what is not?

1. You receive an email saying a company has found your resume and wants to offer you a great job from home. They detail all your responsibilities and will pay you over a thousand dollars a week!

What to do: Ask yourself how they got your email address. Did you actually post your resume where they say you did? Is the job offer in line with your experience? Do they want you to "process payments" through your bank account? Do they want you to be the middle man for shipping packages? How is the grammar in the email? If any of these things are in the email, it is probably a fake.

2. You see a job listing offering a job from home "processing orders". Contacting them you find out you can start immediately and for just a small, fee which ranges from $5 to $49 for the training materials. Once you receive the training materials you find out you are just supposed to place the same kind of job advertisements in online classifieds. The orders you process will be people sending you the money for the training materials which then tell them to do the same thing.

3. Stuffing envelopes. Basically the same as number 2 above except that you use regular mail instead of email.

4. Data entry. This is a tough one! There are a few companies who do hire people to do data entry jobs from home. These jobs are incredibly hard to get though. Whenever there is a fee involved you can rest assured it is not a data entry "job". They are selling information on how to do a form of affiliate marketing.

5. You find a check from a mystery shopping company or a survey site and they want you to complete a job, cash the check, keep your fee and then send them the rest through some kind of wire transfer.

What to do: Contact your Post Master. This is fraud. There are many mystery shopping and survey companies that are legit but they will never send you a check out of the blue. Even if the name on the check is an actual company. It is fraud. You can report it to the company as well.

There are many different ways to work from and many companies who hire for at home employees. Take some time to do some research before signing on with any program or company and know what you are getting into. Desperation is what keeps many of these fake "jobs" alive. Do not be one of the desperate. Slow down, research and use your instincts.

Katiescorner thank you for the information.

I was trying to ask one question and maybe get an answer to several questions I have about scams on the internet.

But I now realize this would not be possible with one or two questions. So I took this post off of the board and posted this explanation of why.

In time hopefully I will get the answers I am looking for with research and experience.
    Last edited by Tulip; 10-09-2009 at 07:11 AM. Reason: To many questions

Im still not sure then what exactly your question is but will try another route.

A scam is when you don't get what you paid for or get ripped off. For instance, you get a job offer as a payment processor, they hire you, send you a check to buy equipment and have you wire the leftover money back to them. You then find 4 weeks later that the check was a fraud and now you are out all the money. That is a scam.

On the other hand, you run across one of those sites promising you that you can work in data entry. Just pay the $39 dollars and they will show you thousands of companies just waiting for you to place ad's for them. You believe you are going to be hired for a job. You find out instead that they are going to show you how to do affiliate marketing.

Is that scam even though it was misleading? No, you got what you paid for, it's a scheme.

Neither is good in my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by katiescorner View Post
    Im still not sure then what exactly your question is but will try another route.

A scam is when you don't get what you paid for or get ripped off. For instance, you get a job offer as a payment processor, they hire you, send you a check to buy equipment and have you wire the leftover money back to them. You then find 4 weeks later that the check was a fraud and now you are out all the money. That is a scam.

On the other hand, you run across one of those sites promising you that you can work in data entry. Just pay the $39 dollars and they will show you thousands of companies just waiting for you to place ad's for them. You believe you are going to be hired for a job. You find out instead that they are going to show you how to do affiliate marketing.

Is that scam even though it was misleading? No, you got what you paid for, it's a scheme.

Neither is good in my mind.

A scam is telling one person one thing and then totally doing something else. A scheme is a way to trick people.

And I can tell you all right now that Tissa Godavitarne is neither one of these.

Quote Originally Posted by willystyle View Post
    A scam is telling one person one thing and then totally doing something else. A scheme is a way to trick people.
    And I can tell you all right now that Tissa Godavitarne is neither one of these.
    See Affiliatize(sic) and Global Domains Int'l. threads;
    http://www.scam.com/showthread.php?t=46358
    http://www.scam.com/showthread.php?t=5142

This is a question I asked Lynndell Edgington (member EagleOne here on Scam.com) to address when the Google Money Tree scam was in full force and this is what he wrote:

"Elements of Fraud:

Fraud must be proved by showing that the defendant's actions involved five separate elements:
    (1) a false statement of a material fact,
    (2) knowledge on the part of the defendant that the statement is untrue,
    (3) intent on the part of the defendant to deceive the alleged victim,
    (4) justifiable reliance by the alleged victim on the statement, and
    (5) injury to the alleged victim as a result.

To be fraudulent, a false statement must relate to a material fact. It should also substantially affect a person's decision to enter into a contract or pursue a certain course of action. A false statement of fact that does not bear on the disputed transaction will not be considered fraudulent.

Second, the defendant must know that the statement is untrue. A statement of fact that is simply mistaken is not fraudulent. To be fraudulent, a false statement must be made with intent to deceive the victim. This is perhaps the easiest element to prove, once falsity and materiality are proved, because most material false statements are designed to mislead.

Third, the false statement must be made with the intent to deprive the victim of some legal right.

Fourth, the victim's reliance on the false statement must be reasonable. Reliance on a patently absurd false statement generally will not give rise to fraud; however, people who are especially gullible, superstitious, or ignorant or who are illiterate may recover damages for fraud if the defendant knew and took advantage of their condition.

Finally, the false statement must cause the victim some injury that leaves her or him in a worse position than she or he was in before the fraud.

Fraud resembles theft in that both involve some form of illegal taking, but the two should not be confused. Fraud requires an additional element of False Pretenses created to induce a victim to turn over property, services, or money. Theft, by contrast, requires only the unauthorized taking of another's property with the intent to permanently deprive the other of the property. Because fraud involves more planning than does theft, it is punished more severely."

Hope that helps.

Oh my, thank you so much for this information

When considering if it may be a scheme or a scam is very helpful. It may take some thought on my part to see the difference but very helpful in giving me a better way to decide whether it is a scam or a scheme.

Also the information on fraud and theft. I may need to read that information a few times but it is very helpful.

I know a scam is considered to be fraud.

All of the information posted is much appreciated.

I enjoy this forum and am getting smarter each time I gather information from this forum.

I am extremely interested in understanding when to call a work at home company a scam. How to draw the conclusion a work at home company is a scam. I get very confused when researching and trying to draw a conclusion.

Thanks again this information does help.

If you mean "work at home company" in the sense that you are an employee and they are they employer, it's easy.

A real work at home company will NEVER ask you to pay a fee for "training materials". There are a couple who do have a fee for a background check and one that requires a fee to incorporate your company (you work as an IC). None of the real companies require a fee for training materials.

Another red flag is any company that wants you to deposit checks into your account under the guise of paying for your equipment, processing payments, etc. Anytime a company wants you to send any type of money through wire transfer, its a scam.

Oops. I misunderstood the original question. Sorry about that.

Just to much time

Even though you may have misunderstood my question your information helped me out.
    I did not know how to word my questions. I have many questions about scam and the use and meaning when it is used in reference to work at home companies and business. One of my questions would be does it always have to mean illegal or a fraud? So the information you posted was of interest to me.

When researching I find information saying a certain company or business is a scam. Then I research and find people saying something is a scam because they did not provide what they offered.
    I think it all can be very tricky to figure out.

So just out of curiosity, can I ask why you are so concerned about whether it is considered illegal or fraud? No offense but it almost comes across as though you are wanting to promote something but not get in trouble for promoting it rather than looking for information on what to avoid.

Wow Katiescorner

I take that as an insult.

I do not think I will bother giving an answer.

How rude of you to imply that.

I have been reading and reading and think I have some answers to my questions.

Scam means fraud. Fraud is illegal. Proving it is difficult.

One thing I was wanting to know is scams do not always get shut down on the internet. So I wondered when calling a company a scam I would think you would need that company or business to have to be investigated and taken to court to legally be able to call it a scam.

I wondered how people can say a company or business is a scam without law enforcement being involved. You could assume but would you not have to investigate. And have law enforcement do that.

I wondered if the word scam always means doing something illegal.

When reading on message boards I see threats saying if you call a company a scam you can be sued.

So I was trying to figure out how you can call a company a scam without an investigation by the law and a court hearing.

Quote Originally Posted by Tulip View Post
    I have been reading and reading and think I have some answers to my questions.

Scam means fraud. Fraud is illegal. Proving it is difficult.

One thing I was wanting to know is scams do not always get shut down on the internet. So I wondered when calling a company a scam I would think you would need that company or business to have to be investigated and taken to court to legally be able to call it a scam.

I wondered how people can say a company or business is a scam without law enforcement being involved. You could assume but would you not have to investigate. And have law enforcement do that.

I wondered if the word scam always means doing something illegal.

When reading on message boards I see threats saying if you call a company a scam you can be sued.

So I was trying to figure out how you can call a company a scam without an investigation by the law and a court hearing.
    I hope this helps Tulip, It has most of the common definitions of scam (englilish language versions) in it.
    Your definition is a personal view and not a real definition.

http://www.consumerfraudreporting.org/definitions.php